April 2010 Mamas, through October 2nd - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vegan: My fav is Veganomicon. Love it and I'm not vegan It's also whole foods as opposed to subs (although I like some subs myself Off the top of my head for breakfast...rice cerals?

Snoopy: (((Hugs)))

Today has been long and is only going to get longer...the beasties were AWFUL today. Lots of bickering, being rude, refusing to help pick up. I was ended up yelling which I hate when I do and that of course ended up with me and middle girl beastie crying as we hugged. Sigh.

Now I have to go to my class where my students did really really awful on their first tests. I would think I was a bad teacher but I had five As including 2 100s out of a class of 33. And dh was able to a bunch of the questions and he's never taken the class or read the material.

Oh and dh wants me to that Darwin birth stool thingie...um...no.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Sara says thanks and that she'll be back soon!

And Ginger, don't you even TRY to steal my Platinum Bedazzled Birthing Stool of Winning At Darwin! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM

GTG -- Birth stool? Seriously? Yipes. Not here. I think about another more than I thought I would, but I think it's because I'm really enjoying Sprout and his personality. I'm working on realizing that doesn't mean another is a good idea -- just that I should enjoy this fun little guy. It does feel weird to think I'm young, yet know that my family is done, is set.

LNF -- Seriously? You still want the birth stool? After this week alone with all the kids?

AFM -- We finally had a success with food! I tried hummus at dinner -- he actually seemed like it might be ok for a taste or two.... and then the breakdown. DH said Sprout had seemed to like peanut butter the other day.... I know it's not at all a traditional first food.... but I pulled that out and sure enough! Sprout was nomming on the spoon when I put it on there and pulling my PB-covered finger to his mouth to suck and bite (yeowch those are sharp little teeth!). I'm happy he at least likes something, so I know it's not a texture/sensation thing. Now we can just work on finding interesting flavors!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Oh yeah, and someone friended me on facebook yesterday, but I'm not sure who it was!
: it was me! I have been terrible about keeping up here, but I'm pretty good with FB, mostly cause it's so easy on my iPhone.

Suzanne ~mama to many including an April 7 babe, Adele.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 AM

Fun day with a mellow babe... I know this has got to be THE most ridiculous first time mama thing, but - she was so laid back today (even with cruddy naps) that I actually starting wondering, "is something wrong?". Ha ha, as I type this she's playing on her mat and blowing raspberries... I think she's just having a great week, very chill and happy to look around and grab things in her world. But of course I'm also like, "but what if something's making her TOO laid back?".

Jeez louise!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

snoopy, , and others still dealing w/ boy/girl issues. right now i'm feeling like NO WAY am i going through pre-e again, but i still remember how sure both of us felt right after charlie was born, that there's a little girl out there we haven't met yet... very conflicted over here.

mater, , hey there! thanks for the update. you have quite the physically advanced little boy over there! i can't imagine charlie pulling up on things, but i think he will do it soon. he prefers standing to any other position. how do you pick the books you read? i'd like to know what new stuff is coming out, but am not sure where to plug myself in.

jenfl, wow, glad you found something for sprout to eat . i don't know when i'll feel ready to give charlie food, though he seems more interested by the day. it seems like such a headache compared to EBF!

greentea, ack, what a day .

thanks for everyone who continues to comment on Vaxing. i really think i'm gonna do the DTaP, because of the pertussis outbreak in several counties here - cases have been steadily on the rise in Western NC for the last several years. it's such a terrible thing for a baby to have, even if it's not a life threatening case. other than that, i have not decided, and i'm ok with that for now. I really don't get why certain vaccines are ONLY available bundled.

i have a game i'm playing with charlie right now that he loves. i stand him up and hold his hips, and wiggle him in different directions, front-back, side to side, and around in circles, while saying "hula-hula-hula-hula". he works really hard to stay upright and grins and giggles. fun

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM

Phew, all of that health insurance stuff seems to be squared away! Honestly all it ook was a 10 minutes phone call but I always put off things like that until its way too late. They say they have to review the claim and I will recieve their decision within 10 business days but it would've been accepted originally had they had they proper information so now that they have it it should be fine.

Thank you lovely ladies for all of your kindness!

Max has been extra calm the last couple of days...he is still fussy all of the time but not screaming and not in pain since the last of the baby cereal left his system.

Food! So far this week Max has tried mashed plums and mashed bananas in a mesh feeder. The plum didn't work out so well...it was really just the juice he was getting, he seemed to like it but wasn't to happy but not having anything to mash up with his gums! He really went to town on those bananas today. Loved loved loved 'em! He had the ENTIRE mesh part in his mouth. So funny! Wish I'd gotten some photos. We're gonna try out bananas for the next few days, until I use up al the mash in the fridge, then avocado. I'mgoing apple picking tomorrow with some of the girls from work so I'll (hopefully if i can find the time) be making all kinds of apple goodies next week, apple sauce for my little one! If anyone has any yummy apple recipes I'd love for you to pass them on to me if you have the time!

Milestones! Max has been really into checking out the objects in his hands (usually the pacifier) and passing it back and forth between hands. Otherwise he hasn't really been doing too much else physically that's different...we've been getting in a bit more tummy time which I think is good except he still hates and and still isn't able to push up on his arms. He mostly fusses around and tries to eat the playmat he's laying on.

Nursing has been going awesomely! Its so relieving after all of the nursing trouble we've had and low supply and whatnot. He's been eating roughly every 2 hours lately and waking a lot during the night to gnosh- he was sleeping anywhere from 6 to 10 hours before so this is taking some major adjusting on my part! Its not so bad though. His crib is right next to our bed but he usually ends up sleeping with us at some point in the night. I have to say I don't really get as good of a night's sleep when we do this though...we have a full size bed so there really isn't enough room to stretch out as it is, nevermind with a baby!

Things are looking up...ppd for the first few months was so horrible, I really felt like I was sinking in quick sand, spiraling into a black hole I'd never get out of. Thank goodness I found these forums because I felt so isolated about it for awhikle and it really helped to connect with other peple who helped me feel a bit more sane! My cycle returned and I felt almost instantly back to my old self (as bacck as I can be with a new babe, haha). We're planning our wedding for next year (Furtado WILL be my last name but we already use it on everything, haha) and its been really exciting and fun so far. And its fall! My favorite season, season where I met my wonderful best friend and soon-to-be husband. After so many hard times lately I feel like things are finally looking up. So happy right now

Alsoooo just wondering, I know 5-6 months is way to early to even think about any kind of formal education but for all you homeschoolin' mamas here, when did you really decide that was the right choice for your family? Was it something you'd always planned? How did you "start" and at what age? Was it just a gradual thing where you always kind of did stuff and what is a typical homeschool day like for you? My older sister has 5 and she's a homeschooling mama as well so I was just curious as to what ya'll are doing?

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 AM

I've read all your posts but I know I won't be able to keep up with them.

to all of you struggling with boy/girl. I know I'm blessed to have both. I hope/pray you'll all find peace with being done or trying again.

Liz: Congrats on getting the insurance taken care of. As far as homeschooling-we always felt it was the right choice. I started really looking into it around age 4 and went to my first homeschool convention that spring.

P&H: I love the game you're playing with LO! Mine loves being tickled and having his belly kissed!

JSH: I TOTALLY understand! I was awful that way with my first (I was WAY crazy with her) but am still that way now!

Jen: Congrats on the food! Just curious-weren't you concerned about allergies? I'm so paranoid about the high allergy foods. Would love to hear your opinion.

Dena: Congrats on dh's job interests!

MPP: Mine gets out of the bumbo too! I can only put him in it with the tray. I thought it would work a lot longer without a tray! Perfect for feeding though. Oh my on standing in the tub! Crazy!

After my awful evening with JR, he slept 6 hrs!!!! I actually had to check my boobs to make sure I hadn't just forgotten I'd nursed him-Nope, both full! He hasn't done that in months! He then slept another 3 hrs in my bed. Then he took 2 naps today in the crib which he's never done either!

Gave him banana & rice cereal last night and tonight. He screams at me when I run out until I nurse him!

I am super paranoid about SIDS. How do you feel okay about your babe being in the crib? I'm always so worried he'll roll over and get stuck, get the blanket (his lovey) stuck over his face (he loves to sleep with it over his face & he's fine), etc. I've always been friekishly scared this way. Would love your input/experience (I know, I've got 4 but 3 of them slept in a swing bcuz of colic/reflux)

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Fun day with a mellow babe... I know this has got to be THE most ridiculous first time mama thing, but - she was so laid back today (even with cruddy naps) that I actually starting wondering, "is something wrong?". Ha ha, as I type this she's playing on her mat and blowing raspberries... I think she's just having a great week, very chill and happy to look around and grab things in her world. But of course I'm also like, "but what if something's making her TOO laid back?".

Jeez louise!

But only because you sound just like me. With every kid I have had.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Liz -- I wasn't sure about homeschool, but my DH was very pro (same with homebirth, actually!). As DD got older and I saw how much she was learning from us and read more about the benefits of homeschool, I was totally sold.

momto4 re: allergies -- I thought about allergies, but the studies show there's no advantage to waiting on allergenic foods. Sure, I was watching him really closely for the first minute or two.... but the chances of an allergy are SO SMALL.

momto4 re: sids -- Mine are tummy sleepers (DD from 6 months, Sprout from 2 months). They also sleep with a blanket. It makes me nervous at first, but I did the research and figured out what risk factors they did and didn't have.... and checked on them a lot.

Look at me, being all about the research and statistics today!

AFM -- Another great night of sleep! A dream feed when I went to bed (around 10pm), a waking around 4am, then up for the day at 6:30am. Such an improvement from the last 3-4 weeks. Let's see if it keeps up!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Had Epic Fail grocery trip yesterday. I think I plan on relaxing as much as is prudent today. Husband gets home tonight, thank God.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Jen: for the input. I think I'm a tad overconcerned about allergies because of my son's issues. He had bloody stool until age 5 from food reactions but none of mine have had the serious (not going to try spelling the correct word) allergic reactions.
It's also good to hear from those who have tummy sleepers. I think losing my first to a miscarriage then severe undiagnosed ppd after dd1 was born kind of threw me. I did a lot better with the middle two. I think I'm anxious again simply because of the stress in my life, so it's good to be reminded that healthy babes can sleep in a crib and it's safe. I do have a baby monitor and check on him.

LNF: So sorry about the grocery trip yesterday.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Charlie doesn't sleep much. I'm usually okay, but it's really kicking me in the ass lately.

I had surgery yesterday and am having to pump and dump since they gave me Ativan. I hate dumping, but would hate using my son as a guinea pig even more. I'll be able to nurse him tonight...needed to allow 24 hours for it to get out of my system.

As a result of the surgery I feel like I got hit by a truck and went a few rounds with Mike Tyson, but whatever. I've got Hydrocodone (which IS okay to take while breastfeeding) which helps tremendously, and I'm getting lots of knitting time! Looking forward to taking a shower tonight.

Charlie can push up on hands and knees and scoot all over the place, but hasn't figure out how to use his hands and knees in concert to actually crawl. I'm okay with that. He'll be 5 months next week.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Milestones! Max has been really into checking out the objects in his hands (usually the pacifier) and passing it back and forth between hands.
Lol - we are getting this too which is resulting in a lot of funny crossed-eyes moments!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Hi everyone! I mostly lurk but wanted to chime in for Smeisnotapirate...
Veganomicon is awesome, but most of the recipes seem to take a long time to make (not all, but the time commitment for a lot of them is substantial). Issa's other cookbook "Vegan with A Vengeance" is also great and seems to have shorter prep/cooking times.

AFM My little guy is about 20 lbs (!) now and just 5 months (4/20). He is very interested in our food when we are eating at the table but clearly not ready for solids (he still tongue thrusts and altho' we've let him play in banana he couldn't figure out the swallowing solids bit). We have let him suck on, banana and apple and given him little bits of avocado and spinach when it's been in our meals. But, that's it and will be it until he is more able...

But, quick vent here...if one more person asks me if I'm still breastfeeding him or only breastfeeding him, I will scream

Also, during my weekly supervision meeting I was warned against breastfeeding in front of parishioners (2x now, once in August when I had to supervise an outdoor activity and the baby needed to nurse--I sat off to the side while the kids were playing a game and nursed the baby; and once last Sunday after all but 2 people (and my boss) had left). So, an all day event tomorrow with parishioners (at which my baby will be, and no he will not take a bottle from me AT ALL) and a two day plus overnight thing in November. I am just so frustrated because I came away from the meeting feeling shamed...

On the plus side, our delightful, happy baby is healthy and good natured. On the minus side he sleeps like crud at night (actually, crud probably sleeps better then he does). Oh well...this too shall pass, right?

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

man - no one wanted to hand in hw, then they all come in asking me for an extension!

i think this may make me a bit grumpy. i feel it coming on LOL

gotta go because i am so busy, but read stuff. i think the stats stuff is crazy - the odds are low, btu i am so anti-risk, its not even funny. in the crib DS had only a fleece breathable blanket and a breathable bumper. nothing else. and we are allergy folk over here. i'll stay away from shellfish and PB and probably walntus too until at least 12 mo. But we are doing the countdown for solids. she is just starting to sit up and that is her last milestone really before she's ready so 6 mo aligns with that quite well - 2.5 more weeks.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 PM

we've got a backwards crawler here! she still doesn't roll all the way over but definitely wiggles her way around a LOT. not sure she can control it but oh well.

wishin & hopin, that sucks that you went away feeling ashamed. I hope you're able to feel more confident about the great bond and nutrition your baby is getting. as a new breastfeeding mom, it baffles me that anyone thinks of breastfeeding as anything but what it is - food... bags of milk! bummer that our society has such a stick up its bum about it.

things are really up and down here. I'm at the end of my usual wedding season (photography), which always leaves me feeling burnt out, so even though it's been slower this year, the baby and sleep deprivation are definitely taking its toll and I just wish it was november already. I've had some really positive and happy days, and some really down ones. today seems a bit down... I'm sick of waking up feeling so exhausted, sick of the baby waking up every 2 hours like clockwork, sick of getting advice from everywhere (although of course I'm still asking for it, like there's a magical something I haven't heard about that can fix everything!)... sometimes just breastfeeding her makes me feel like a failure, because milk shoots everywhere (still!!) and I leak like a sieve and she is still so distracty in the daytime, it's no wonder she wants to eat all night. sigh.
so, that's my pity party. I can't wait for my last wedding and then I get a nice long break from work!! granted, I dont' know how we'll pay the mortgage, but at this point I'm just looking forward to having a totally open schedule, lots of time with a mobile (!) baby, visits with friends, and hopefully an older baby who can nap and sleep a bit better.

one more thing - part of me feels guilt because the baby does seem sleep deprived and I can't seem to help that. she usually gets a good 11-12 hours at night (mostly because she cries IN HER SLEEP a lot, but doesn't actually wake up, unless I let her go for too long) although the past few nights have been up and down. But since her naps are so cruddy, she sometimes has little baby eye bags. And all of the books say "put her down for a nap as soon as she shows tired signs"... well, if I did that, I'd never get out of bed! She wakes up tired but often won't go back to sleep for love or money.
Anyway, a lot of this is just normal baby stuff, right? I can't help feeling like if I don't "fix" it, I"m doing something wrong to her. I know I"m repeating myself.

Another question is, what do YOU consider sleep deprivation? A lot of moms I know IRL have been telling me "oh you get used to it" or "just don't think about it"... I have the feeling maybe they're talking about 1-2 wakeups per night, not 5+ for months!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:37 PM

on a funnier note, I think S looks like this little guy sometimes when I gave her something to taste and she's not sure about it:
http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/i...MBW_Goomba.jpg

(without the teeth, of course!)

the rice cereal doesn't seem to help her sleep longer (we've only tried it twice, though), and it does seem to make her kind of constipated, which of course makes her sleep worse. so, back to just trying some fruits and vegs for fun, at a slow pace.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 PM

One more - that's it, I promise! - has anyone ever read or watched the SleepEasy stuff from http://www.sleepyplanet.com/products/ ? I'm guessing it's a combination of NCSS/ gentle approach and "cry it out lite", but a friend recommended it and I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with that.

Happy Friday!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 PM

You all, I can't keep up and I miss you!!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 PM

Pepper! We miss you, too! Pop in and tell us what's up!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 AM

So sorry I don't reply to specifics posts often, so mouch I want to reply to but I never have a chance/time to do it all and keep up! Darn!

I wanted to mention, about the vegain cookbooks, that I'm not vegan but I love love love all of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's books, Vegan with a Vengence is the first one I bought and I have the cupcake one as well. Veganomicon is awesome for the overviews and how-to section for grains and beans and such- probably not something most would need a book for but I'm so scatter brained, it really help me to have a reference all of the time.

Annnnyway. Scratch what isaid about having a calm baby lately. He WAS. I shouldn't have said anything! Yikes! He has been up all night long most of the time. And all day. Did I mention both day AND night? Oh yes, yes, yes, ladies. I am offically joining the unruley sleeper's club. He doesn't have any teeth yet but he's definitely in teething mode, drooling, fussing, and gumming on everything he can get his little lips around. Everything. *ahem, nursing manners, part 1* whenever he does that I pull him off and look him straight in the eyes and say "No!" very firmly. I'm sure he doesn't understand me and he just opens his mouth and dives right back for the nipple but I'm hoping he will pick up on it eventually. I'm not really sure how else to "teach" him not to! I'm deeply sad dened about this sleep thing. I am fall-down tired and he was an awesome sleeper from the 2nd month on...really by the 3rd month he was sleeping pretty much through the night. I'm talking 6-10 hours, here. Pretty sweet. Those days are gone for now! He is nursing constantly so the supply issue is improving all the time.

Oh and Max really hates his carseat. we have a Graco MyRide65. When I registered I thought it'd be a good option bc its a convertible so we wouldn't have to buy another one. Now I'm kind of regretting not getting a bucket-style with base. The main reason is that he hates the whole strapping-in process of the seat and my back hates it as well. Hunching over like that is KILLING my scoliosis. Add on top of that a fussy baby and its a bad combo. Also, he has a tendency to be super pissed the entire car ride until a minute before we get to where we're going and he's finally passed out asleep. i then have to wake him up and jostle him out of the carseat to bring him inside or load him into the sling. Poor thing just needs a nap! A bucket seat would be more convenient for this I think but at this point I think it'd be a waste to buy one since he is already around 20 lbs I believe (he doesn't have another WBV til Oct 13th so we'll know for sure then!).

He is napping right now, so wonderful! My apartment has been super filthy lately. I mean, grimy as well as cluttered. Its the grime I take more of an issue with but when I actually DO find the time to clean (like now, for example) I end up just sitting there staring at the piles of stuff. I have zero energy. Siigh, i hope this exhaustion stage passes soon. I can't take it! I wan tmy clean apartment back! I really do love my place but sometimes I just want to move and leave the mess behind!

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 AM

Liz: We have a bucket seat and JR still hates it most of the time. He arches and rolls and I've had to hold his stomach down and try to maneuver the straps over his arms with one hand. Unfortunately, even if he falls asleep in the car, he won't stay asleep if I take the seat out. So, maybe it wouldn't have been too different if you'd had one. I'm sorry about your back though-that's rough. As far as the dirty house-I'm right there with you. By the time the kids are in bed, I'm exhausted. I feel like not only can I not keep up, I can't at all get ahead.

Jsh: The sleep deprivation is awful and working on top of it is even harder. & No, this kind does not get easier. I agree, I think they're talking 1 or 2 times per night.

W&H: I'm SO sorry they made you feel so bad. That's not fair at all. Hang in there. Know that others here support you and that baby's need are the most important.

sehbub: What kind of surgery? How awful. I hope you recover quickly.

My guy is really liking the crib. Kind of surprising given his reflux. He's doing well in there too. I'm still anxious but have to get over it. Okay, for those of you who check on yours-how do you do it? JR wakes to the TINIEST sounds! I mean, I can walk as quietly as possible, with a fan going in there, and he'll wake up. No way can I get in bed without him hearing me. Ughh.

SO, I've done rice cereal, banana & avocado. He LOVES eating. But, he is a tad constipated. Should I give him less? He went from diarrhea off solids to constipated on solids. Where is the happy medium??

Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 AM

Jess - I consider sleep deprivation to be how I was feeling tonight - tired, confused, not able to think straight. Not safe to drive. Able to fall alseep if I curled up anywhere slightly comfy for about 5 mins. We were out at a local festival/carnival tonight and I was so tired I could not stop yawning and couldn't really enjoy it. It felt like it was about 3 am, when in reality it was abut 8 pm.

4+4 - I can't recommend the angelcare monitor highly enough. It gives me peace of mind that DD is ok in her crib. That or a video monitor. We have both, but I haven't hooked up the video one yet.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 09-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Liz- We actually switched from the bucket to the MyRide because DD hated the bucket so much. She's much better now, but I think it was time, not the switch, that did it.

You can get buckets that go up to 30something pounds and usually 30 inches or so. But, carrying that is likely to be even harder on a bad back than strapping him in.

Here's one tip I learned about the myride that seems obvious so probably everyone is doing it already. Buckle the crotch buckles first. I'd been buckling the chest clip first all this time and couldn't figure out why it was SO DIFFICULT to get her strapped in. I switched to buckling the crotch first and it's SO MUCH EASIER. I just have to be careful not to catch any skin when I fasten the chest clip, but that's easy enough if you pay attention.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 PM

We switched Ada from the bucket to the britax roundabout this week, hoping being up higher would stop her horrible car screaming. The two short rides we've taken so far have been ok.

How do you know if the seat is at the right angle when rear facing? It seems like its not at 45 degrees like the instructions say, but I have no idea how to recline it farther back. Reclining is what Ada hated about the bucket, I think. She always tried to sit up in it.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Still here & still reading this thread (though not posting ) Sat am & no preschool! So here I am!

sss Ivy

s sehbub - hope you heal with lightening speed!

Love hearing about all these babies! It's so encouraging to 'get' the diversity. It makes me less weary that K will forever be an imobile freak

Solids K was insatiable with solids for about a week. She is so over it now. Back to breastfeeding 100%. She has a cold & isn't sleeping Stop that baby! You're 6 months old! Time to eat and sleep like the rest of us want to!

Movement Still 0 interest in tummy time or crawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
SCG, that's so cool!

I was just talking to SmeIsNotAPirate on Twitter, and she needs vegan recipe books. She has food allergies and is reactive to oats, eggs and dairy. So, she's having a hell of a time finding especially breakfast foods to eat. Help!

I LOVE Dreena Burton's books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=dreena+burton

She raises a vegan family thus has a wealth of family friendly easy vegan recipes.

She also has an awesome blog: http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.com/

There's also http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ for fun portable foods.

K is awake after an awesome 15 minute nap. UGH! Good thing she's so darn cute or I'd return her!!!!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 09-25-2010, 02:59 PM

quick recommendations - How it all Vegan is a great book (and I'm not even vegan, but those recipes are easy and cheap and good!). White noise machine is a godsend!

Thanks (as always) for the support. Had to shoot a bit last night and drove home thinking, "I'm just not gonna make it tomorrow" (I have a longer day). Well, S was fussy and squirmy for hours after going to bed - but! - after DH took over at about 11, she stayed asleep with him until 3 am . Then woke to eat, and went back to sleep. Woke at 5am to eat and pee, back to sleep till 7. This is a big deal! And the best part is - DH let (no, encouraged!) me to sleep from 11 to 9!! I feel like a new woman! I can do anything!

(Though I really could've slept another 10 hours, easily, ha ha)

I can also tell S is really, really, really trying to get those hands in her mouth. She's rejecting my fingers more and working on hers. So she's frustrated but that gives me hope. I can almost envision her happily snoozing with her thumb in her mouth in a few more months...

Phew.

We also are experiencing constipation - dang rice cereal, won't be giving that again for a WHILE - back to tiny bits of fruits and vegs and lots and lots of milk.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
I thought about allergies, but the studies show there's no advantage to waiting on allergenic foods.
jenfl, this is my approach as well, or gonna be... are there ANY things you avoid for any length of time? i'm from a no food allergy family, as is my husband. and our moms didn't have lists.

, pepper! i hope you get time to come around soon. i know you have a lot to keep track of

sehbub, for quick healing from me as well. i can't imagine dealing w/ that with just one kid!

carley .

afm, charlie has been increasing in fussiness the last week, a little bit more each day. i HOPE it's teething related. sometimes he tries to smile at me at the same time, so i assume it's discomfort? but he's also JUST started doing some fussing for reaction, it's so obvious!

still deciding over the DTaP, charlie's appt. is monday. i wish it was possible to get % data about less serious cases of Pertussis, but i know it doesn't exist. charlie is very low risk, no older sibs in school, no daycare, no church nursery, only around cousins who are home schooled. he's always with us, and in a carrier in public. ((nail biting))

i want a mesh feeder, but my two natural baby stores are failing me. did you guys order them online, or are they at babies-r-us? i hate that store

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4plus4 View Post
sehbub: What kind of surgery? How awful. I hope you recover quickly.
The cosmetic kind. I hit one of my main weight loss goals, and the doc happened to be running a special, so I had some lipo done on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
sehbub, for quick healing from me as well. i can't imagine dealing w/ that with just one kid!

i want a mesh feeder, but my two natural baby stores are failing me. did you guys order them online, or are they at babies-r-us? i hate that store
It's ok. DH is being hugely helpful and basically insisting I stay in bed or on the couch so that I'm up for running around after everyone come Monday when he has to go back to work. He took off Thursday afternoon and all day Friday.

Naturally Charlie has slept like a dream for him. I'll try DH's techniques and see if it works for me...I need more sleep!

I've seen the mesh feeders at Target and Walmart too. I'm not crazy about them because they're really tough to get clean, IME.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)

User Tag List