Mothering Forum banner

April 2010 Mamas, through October 2nd

8K views 293 replies 33 participants last post by  Peace+Hope 
#1 ·

WELCOME

TO THE APRIL 2010

DDC IN LWAB!

It's wonderful to be able to continue to chat with mamas we know here in LWAB, and we hope anyone who has been part of our DDC at any time will join in whenever you can. We also welcome other moms of babies born at the same time, just help us get to know you.

Below is a list of us mamas and our little ones, as well as some extra info.
Please feel free to have this edited any time by posting your request in this thread in bold.

For now we will be a weekly thread. In the future we can lengthen the time of our threads as needed.

erickalynne, Jennings, 2/11, single mom to 2, Jennings born at 32 weeks by emergency c/s due to placental abruption

Amandamanda, Adam, 3/2, (had my dates wrong in the beginning and was actually due in march - hung out here 'cause i liked you all! )

shantiani, Astrid, 3/14. Between recurring miscarriages and then pre-eclampsia, we had to work for this baby! But now she is here and perfect and worth all of the trials.

Peace+Hope, Charlie, 3/25, late-onset Pre-E, induction at 37 weeks, no pain meds! grieving my home birth... maybe next time?

NH Mom, Charlie, 3/27

Oliver's Mama, Eli, 3/27/10

jenfl, Sprout, 3/31, home water birth, transfer at birth+10 hours, forced 3 day NICU stay for Sprout (and I) because of doctors practicing defensive medicine, ongoing breastfeeding issues due to tongue tie and high palate

Ivymae, Rebecca Joy, 4/1, Home water birth

rolenta, Naomi, 4/2

MaterPrimaePuellae, V, 4/4

Liz.Furtado, Maxwell Cohen, 4/5

momto4plus4, Jeremiah, 4/5, induced, stuck at 9.5 cm, ended in 1st c-section, cord wrapped, SO grateful he's alive!

Cecilia'sMama, Cecilia, 4/6, high BP at 38 weeks, avoided c-section!

crazyeight, Baby R, 4/6 (and is a boy!) and joins 2 older siblings! He was a vaginal birth at 41 weeks.

finn'smama, Henry, 4/7, born at home

andlee, Ben, 4/8

RhiOrion, L, 4/8, medical induction due to Cholestasis of Pregnancy, WOHM

Dena, Hannah and Maya, 4/9

dhinderliter,R, 4/10

sewcraftygirl, Anna, 4/11

Snoopy5386, Kelsey, 4/11

Carita, Danita, 4/15 Tax Day baby , Fast and Furious NCB @ hospital w/MW and awesome doula!

GreenTeaGinger, Rowena, 4/15, midwife attended birth center birth

LenaC, Leon, 4/17, Born 16 days after his due date of April 1st. Held my ground, as doc wanted to induce for low amnio fluid. All natural hospital water birth, that lasted about 3 hours.

Jsh7809, Symphony, 4/18, PPD, emergency post birth surgery for vaginal hematoma

Triony, Tobin, 4/18

3tammuz, Aliza, 4/19, double footling breech, VBAC in a hospital

Bubbamummy, Molly, 04/21, breech with double nuchal cord leading to an 'elective' c-section at 39wks

Pepper44, Ada 4/21

Ann_of_loxley, Hamish born on the 22nd (all 12lbs 4oz of him - though do I really need to remind anyone of that? lol) - and his big brother Duncan born the 19th of September and is about to become FIVE years old! !

dogretro, dd2, 4/23, labored at home, birthed in the hospital, all-natural VBAC

mom2happy, baby girl Tess, 4/24

smeisnotapirate, Naomi, 4/25, HBAC! Shout it off the rooftops!

ebbb, Lucy, 4/27

Elecampane, Eleanor, 4/28

laughingfox, girl, 4/28, 2nd homebirth

LoveNeverFails, Mercy, 5/11, Winner of the Silver Birth Stool,
Accidental quasi-UC (midwife running in the door, but we caught head and she caught shoulders...) island birth (half in the water, half on land?), Survivor of Hostage Crisis 2010, NICU Edition, Mom of the only baby in NICU with toenails painted hot pink, and Remembering Nicholas, 11/2009

silverspook, Isaiah, 5/17, Awesome Rockstar Golden Birthstool Winner

TreefrogNYC, Benjamin Zephyr, 4/24, born at home after 7 IUIs and one m/c (3.6.09) -- husband, midwife, midwife's assistant, doula, and two cats in attendance!

See less See more
#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
I think I broke a filling :/ it doesn't hurt or anything *yet* but my tongue felt it and well now, I can't stop rubbing it
Ugh, I've done that three times in my adult life. Once I ended up needing a root canal because I waited too long. The second time I was imagining it. The third time I ended up with a crown, but not a root canal.

#53 ·
popping in. i read a lot, but typing makes keyboard noises and DD wakes up in bed bedside me LOL.

Jen. I find after nursing that I just need to rub her gums with my finger and she will nurse again and fall asleep or will just fall asleep. SHe seriously nursed, I rubbed her gums and she fell asleep WHILE I was rubbing her gums. poor girl!

serious poop blast today. got all over my WCW cover LOL.

so completely unrealted, but need advice. My cousin went GF a few years back and it rid her migraines. I decided last week to go GF, but I feel weird just doing it on my own. So a coworker recommended a naturopath type to me - a retired MD who works PT & you pay her directly and she focuses on alternative stuff like detoxification. Well I made an appt and the first available she had was in Nov. She called and bumped my appt ahead due to a cancellation for next week. Now here is the WWYD: my son (3) has been really off lately - like for the last 2 months or more. I thought it was just ADD like mommy or moving transition, but his tummy hurts, and he's been waking up a lot at night. Crying, bawling to sleep. Should I switch the appt for him instead of me? This isn't normal 3 yo stuff, is it. I am starting to feel worried for him. I should switch, right?

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carita View Post
popping in. i read a lot, but typing makes keyboard noises and DD wakes up in bed bedside me LOL.

Jen. I find after nursing that I just need to rub her gums with my finger and she will nurse again and fall asleep or will just fall asleep. SHe seriously nursed, I rubbed her gums and she fell asleep WHILE I was rubbing her gums. poor girl!

serious poop blast today. got all over my WCW cover LOL.

so completely unrealted, but need advice. My cousin went GF a few years back and it rid her migraines. I decided last week to go GF, but I feel weird just doing it on my own. So a coworker recommended a naturopath type to me - a retired MD who works PT & you pay her directly and she focuses on alternative stuff like detoxification. Well I made an appt and the first available she had was in Nov. She called and bumped my appt ahead due to a cancellation for next week. Now here is the WWYD: my son (3) has been really off lately - like for the last 2 months or more. I thought it was just ADD like mommy or moving transition, but his tummy hurts, and he's been waking up a lot at night. Crying, bawling to sleep. Should I switch the appt for him instead of me? This isn't normal 3 yo stuff, is it. I am starting to feel worried for him. I should switch, right?
Are your migraines frequent? If so then that's a hard choice. But if they're not, then I'd switch it to be for him, and then let her know that if she has another cancellation that you would really like to get in. Unless she only squeezed you in because she thought it was an emergency, in which case I'd keep it for you in the interest of keeping friendly.

#55 ·
I was dealing with migraines about 2x/week. Last week it was only 1x. I didn't go on with her over the phone about everything. In fact I only said I needed help with migraines and chronic pain and and she was a little evasive on the phone then only later I realized that she may have thought I wanted a script for marijuana LOL :rofl So I don't think she thinks I am an emergency case. I should just call her and find out, but she only works MW and I didn't want to bother her on her day off.

#56 ·
carita, maybe she'd see you both, if you explain the situation and pay for both? i've done that with a dr. before...

jenfl,
s. sorry the teeth are messing w/ sprout's modified technique. i have no idea what i'm talking about either, but what about a piece of packing tape where his bottom teeth go? unless you hate ripping tape off your skin
. seems like he could get as good suction on that as he's getting on your skin if it's on a small area? otherwise, i wonder if a nut butter or oil slathered on your breast would at least make it easier to bear?

hi gtg! wow, cool, are you considering moving to toronto?? can i visit?

4+4, i added you to the list

snoopy, hows your girl feeling? any better?

sehbub,
hey! so glad to hear you are doing well, if not freakin' CRAZY in your schedule. whooo, i'm glad i got started so late, not sure it's humanly possible for me to end up w/ 5 kids at this point
. i can't believe how much hair your charlie has! what a big, beautiful boy. and
to your weight loss, you should post some pics for us so we can ooohhhh and aahhh

afm, doing well over here. charlie has had a couple of days of demanding more napping. he gets loud/fussy earlier than i think he should be sleepy, it's like he's saying, mom, come ON, let's get this nap thing started. maybe it's all the teething? rhi, i thought you had done the carrot frozen! lol, i don't think i'll do that again for awhile...

charlie will be 6 months on the 25th
. he's still not even interested in rolling, but can sit up really well and loves standing with support at the hips for balance. will do tummy time, but only for 5 mins tops. chatters a lot with consonants and vowel experimenting. loves his jumper and started talking to the cats, and himself in the mirror
last week. not even considering solids yet, but i did read about using blocks to help develop fine motor skills in dr. sears the other day. i want to see him doing more of that before i try food, since he's entranced but ok w/ his own toys while we eat.

i have charlie scheduled for his 6-month appt. next week, and am really sweating it. reading on vaccines a lot over the last few weeks. he hasn't had any yet, and i don't feel ready. do any of you that delay, delay for longer? we have lots of pertussis here and it would be so miserable (and of course possibly dangerous), so i'd like to do that, but i HATE that i can't get it seperately from the DTAP bundle

#57 ·
Jen- It's tough to say, since every baby's different, but based on DD's experience, I'd recommend the store brand stuff made by PBM, sold at Target, Babies R Us, Walmart, Sams, Walgreens. We use the dairy variety, with prebiotics and DHA.
It's essentially the same stuff from store to store, but the packaging (and price!) varies. It looks like this at BRU, like this at Target, like this at Walmart, etc.

WalMart and Walgreens sell the smallest containers of the powder, so you can try it out without breaking the bank. They make about 80 ounces and are under $10 (may vary depending on your area's cost of living).
Sams is cheapest per ounce, if you wind up needing a larger container of it. Target is second cheapest (Target's is cheaper in store than online).

#58 ·
P&H & rhi - I just called her and asked her opinion. She said to fill out the intake and diet journal for both of us and then we'd talk about both at my appt. But I am going to leave him at school so that she and I can actually talk. Then if he needs to see her, we can do that as a next step. Ugh - I feel so much better. Thanks guys for giving me kick in the butt. I just didn't want to overwhelm someone over the phone abotu all our medical history/issues LOL.

#59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
All that said:
Is it a myth that formula can help babies stay asleep longer?
IME, yeah it's a myth. Three formula fed girls, all slept different. 2 breastfed boys who also sleep differently. 5 kids and none share a sleep pattern. Charlie is the least consistent of all of them.

Two night ago we got 8.5 hours of sleep, straight through. Last night he nursed every 45 minutes and then was awake and "talking" for almost 4 hours in the middle of the night.

I'm a mean, mean mommy when I'm sleep deprived. DH has been able to spell me one night a week if I need him too. Mostly I'm doing okay and able to maintain my sanity/mood, but once every two weeks or so I just need to sleep.

#60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
sehbub,
hey! so glad to hear you are doing well, if not freakin' CRAZY in your schedule. whooo, i'm glad i got started so late, not sure it's humanly possible for me to end up w/ 5 kids at this point
. i can't believe how much hair your charlie has! what a big, beautiful boy. and
to your weight loss, you should post some pics for us so we can ooohhhh and aahhh

do any of you that delay, delay for longer?

I actually don't have any pictures!!
Whoops! Yeah, C is really, really hairy. It leads to some gender confusion. We can dress him head to toe in blue with "I'm a boy" screen printed on his chest and people tell us how beautiful our girl is.
: Apparently boys can't have hair?

As far as vax, we delayed 'til 2 with DD3 and DS1.

#61 ·
Just cancelled the stupid developmental ped appointment Merce got scheduled in for by the NICU. And heard more scary stuff about hospitals in our area. How the hell do you test for Lyme disease and not look at the results, letting a nursing mother have ACTIVE LYME DISEASE and be without treatment for 3 months?!!?

Note to self: do not get sick in Upstate NY.

#62 ·
Facebook - fogot to add - I don't have anyone added because I am kind of a freak about privacy w/my job and all. sorry - don't hold it against me! if this board were password protected, I would let you all in.

LNF - I have a MW friend in upstate NY working in a hospital. She was working in a hospital that employed a horrible OB and her practice actually is pursuing a case to fire her butt. I bet you guys would get along great LOL.

#63 ·
I'm a mean mama when I am tired as well. Honestly, if I didn't drink 2 pots of coffee a day, i fall into the pit of depression. it's a unhealthy cycle, but until I have three kids who can sleep through the night, caffeine is what keeps me (quite literally) sane.

Sadly, my two olders actually wake up more than the baby. I think Alice woke up every hour for 18 months. No amount of sleep training (gentle or not) could rewire that part of her brain. Now, at 2.5, she still wakes up three times a night (and in turn wakes up the perfectly sleeping baby).

So, my advice is just to find a way to cope, because this is one of the first real struggles where you have to give up control. You can't force a child to sleep, just like you can not force them to eat, share or get good grades. you can create a supportive environment for the results you want, but when it comes down to it, it's about the kid, and you have to hang on.

AFM: Becky is a doll, and other than teething (she is getting one of her canines! My little vampire baby) she is happy to just tag along where ever we go. She's had bananas and apples so far, as well as the random cheerio on the floor. She scoots around the carpet if she is motivated, and has made it across the room to get the cat (thankfully very slowly).

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
rhi, i thought you had done the carrot frozen! lol, i don't think i'll do that again for awhile...
Nope. I did them refrigerated and I think I was the one who suggested frozen, but then I got lazy and have just been giving her teethers from the freezer

#65 ·
Ugh. I'm feeling a bit down all the sudden. Not depressed, just momentarily sad. I am having a random moment of missing L desperately and wanting to go pick her up and just go spend the day with her.

I look forward to going to pick her up every day, but by the time I actually do it's hard to sit down and focus on her. Dinner has to be made and eaten, things have to be cleaned (and I've always set the bar VERY low on that), the dog has to be let out, bottles for the next day have to be made, lunch has to be made, shower has to be taken, medicines have to be taken. Then it's pretty much time for bed.

*sigh*

Maybe this weekend we'll go have a picnic at the park. It's hard to be stressed or busy during a picnic at the park.

#66 ·
rhi - slow cooker! LOL. i remember that feeling. then i farmed most of the chores out to DH until I could sneak away from her grasp for more than a couple min after she fell asleep.

#67 ·
Thanks for everyone's support. I hear what you all are saying about making the best of it, and getting used to the sleep deprivation. I really felt like I was around 3 months, when she was sleeping in 4 and 5 hour chunks for at least the first part of the night. But now it's 1 hour all the way through, and it's really taking a LOT out of me. My therapist and all of my other support people keep pointing out how when I get to a really intense sleep deprivation place, I start falling apart again. So, I'm leaning on DH a lot, trying to take as much off of my plate as I can until her sleep improves even a bit. But it's really hard and I feel so hopeless some days.
My "plan" for now is to try to make it to 6 months without 'doing' much (NCSS just doesn't seem to be working, since I can never get my finger out of her mouth without a lot of drama or a fast asleep baby). I do love cosleeping with her big snuggly size BUT we wake each other up all night long. I got up to pee and she was wide awake! And it doesn't seem to help her stay asleep any better than when I'm not there.
Anyway, back to the plan (I'm mostly thinking it out here so I don't go crazy on my own): we're working on getting her used to being unswaddled. Seeing if she'll learn to sleep on her tummy (so far, no go, even on my chest!). Giving her more quiet play time in her crib (which she likes for a few minutes here and there). Giving her more independent play time in general. Letting her cry occasionally without immediately stuffing my pinky in her mouth, in the hopes she can figure out other ways of calming down (I'll be patting or rocking her, just not giving her the pinky). Continuing to try to get her to nap as long as possible in any way possible.
Loving her all of the time and cuddling lots, realizing she'll be big and independent before I know it!

But, man, is it hard to do ANYTHING when I'm this tired. I'm getting worried for our safety (driving a car especially), not to mention our finances since I keep not working as much as I need to be.

#68 ·
Do you think it would be helpful for your finances to find a mother's helper/nanny for a few hours a day? You could alternate between sleeping one day and working another. And if it's just a few hours, then she hopefully wouldn't need much in the way of napping or milk?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Thanks for everyone's support. I hear what you all are saying about making the best of it, and getting used to the sleep deprivation. I really felt like I was around 3 months, when she was sleeping in 4 and 5 hour chunks for at least the first part of the night. But now it's 1 hour all the way through, and it's really taking a LOT out of me. My therapist and all of my other support people keep pointing out how when I get to a really intense sleep deprivation place, I start falling apart again. So, I'm leaning on DH a lot, trying to take as much off of my plate as I can until her sleep improves even a bit. But it's really hard and I feel so hopeless some days.
My "plan" for now is to try to make it to 6 months without 'doing' much (NCSS just doesn't seem to be working, since I can never get my finger out of her mouth without a lot of drama or a fast asleep baby). I do love cosleeping with her big snuggly size BUT we wake each other up all night long. I got up to pee and she was wide awake! And it doesn't seem to help her stay asleep any better than when I'm not there.
Anyway, back to the plan (I'm mostly thinking it out here so I don't go crazy on my own): we're working on getting her used to being unswaddled. Seeing if she'll learn to sleep on her tummy (so far, no go, even on my chest!). Giving her more quiet play time in her crib (which she likes for a few minutes here and there). Giving her more independent play time in general. Letting her cry occasionally without immediately stuffing my pinky in her mouth, in the hopes she can figure out other ways of calming down (I'll be patting or rocking her, just not giving her the pinky). Continuing to try to get her to nap as long as possible in any way possible.
Loving her all of the time and cuddling lots, realizing she'll be big and independent before I know it!

But, man, is it hard to do ANYTHING when I'm this tired. I'm getting worried for our safety (driving a car especially), not to mention our finances since I keep not working as much as I need to be.

#69 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
I actually don't have any pictures!!
Whoops! Yeah, C is really, really hairy. It leads to some gender confusion. We can dress him head to toe in blue with "I'm a boy" screen printed on his chest and people tell us how beautiful our girl is.
: Apparently boys can't have hair?.
Nope 'cause everyone thinks R is a boy and she's got some hair going on
It's because it's long. DS is constantly being called a girl much to his horror.

P+H: Yes we're thinking about moving to Toronto as well as Austin, TX, Chapel Hill area, Atlanta, and Chicago. And of course you can visit

As for vaxes, we're waiting until R is one.

#70 ·
Would like to do violence to idiot hospital right now. I'm going to have to keep filling out these stupid questionnaires for developmental cr@p. This has been the worst experience of my life, and I'm really ready for it to be over now. I left a message asking if I could find out why we're still following her progress instead of only going with her pediatrician given that there was no prematurity and any neurological concerns went out the window early in the game.

I could do that for a long time. I'm angry.

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
Would like to do violence to idiot hospital right now. I'm going to have to keep filling out these stupid questionnaires for developmental cr@p. This has been the worst experience of my life, and I'm really ready for it to be over now. I left a message asking if I could find out why we're still following her progress instead of only going with her pediatrician given that there was no prematurity and any neurological concerns went out the window early in the game.

I could do that for a long time. I'm angry.
it's a little weird....
J being premature, has had one developmental screen and won't have another until after the age of 1. The ONLY reason we had the first one is because I initiated it. I haven't been pestered since leaving the NICU. If I have concerns, I bring it up to the ped and I initiated seeing a cranio sacral therapist who happens to also be a ot/pt and works with J on development. I don't fill out forms of any sort though, just the one time.

#74 ·
well here, they like to call CPS....

but again, I initiated our screening..I don't think they would have forced us to have a screening

#75 ·
I called and left a message asking why we were still following her development with them when they have no concerns about her development, she was not premature, her pediatrician is watching her development as well AND

I was never made aware of any diagnosis that would suggest long term neurological or developmental sequelae.

So, play ball
. You'll have to pick whether she never had invisible brain damage or you'll have to explain why the
you never told a mother that her daughter had brain cell death.

I'm not going rogue because I don't put it past Dr. A@$$hole to call CPS on us, but I am requiring an explanation for why the hell they have the right to be intruding into my life. I already filled out the 3 month freaking screening, even though we do well baby visits and the kid is FINE. Now we have to do another freaking screening questionnaire at 6 months. I am thisclose to wanting to make a photo collage of her developmental milestones and writing a detailed "day in the life of" journal for them to see how a day in her life goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.