Mothering Forum banner

April 2010 Mamas, through October 2nd

8K views 293 replies 33 participants last post by  Peace+Hope 
#1 ·

WELCOME

TO THE APRIL 2010

DDC IN LWAB!

It's wonderful to be able to continue to chat with mamas we know here in LWAB, and we hope anyone who has been part of our DDC at any time will join in whenever you can. We also welcome other moms of babies born at the same time, just help us get to know you.

Below is a list of us mamas and our little ones, as well as some extra info.
Please feel free to have this edited any time by posting your request in this thread in bold.

For now we will be a weekly thread. In the future we can lengthen the time of our threads as needed.

erickalynne, Jennings, 2/11, single mom to 2, Jennings born at 32 weeks by emergency c/s due to placental abruption

Amandamanda, Adam, 3/2, (had my dates wrong in the beginning and was actually due in march - hung out here 'cause i liked you all! )

shantiani, Astrid, 3/14. Between recurring miscarriages and then pre-eclampsia, we had to work for this baby! But now she is here and perfect and worth all of the trials.

Peace+Hope, Charlie, 3/25, late-onset Pre-E, induction at 37 weeks, no pain meds! grieving my home birth... maybe next time?

NH Mom, Charlie, 3/27

Oliver's Mama, Eli, 3/27/10

jenfl, Sprout, 3/31, home water birth, transfer at birth+10 hours, forced 3 day NICU stay for Sprout (and I) because of doctors practicing defensive medicine, ongoing breastfeeding issues due to tongue tie and high palate

Ivymae, Rebecca Joy, 4/1, Home water birth

rolenta, Naomi, 4/2

MaterPrimaePuellae, V, 4/4

Liz.Furtado, Maxwell Cohen, 4/5

momto4plus4, Jeremiah, 4/5, induced, stuck at 9.5 cm, ended in 1st c-section, cord wrapped, SO grateful he's alive!

Cecilia'sMama, Cecilia, 4/6, high BP at 38 weeks, avoided c-section!

crazyeight, Baby R, 4/6 (and is a boy!) and joins 2 older siblings! He was a vaginal birth at 41 weeks.

finn'smama, Henry, 4/7, born at home

andlee, Ben, 4/8

RhiOrion, L, 4/8, medical induction due to Cholestasis of Pregnancy, WOHM

Dena, Hannah and Maya, 4/9

dhinderliter,R, 4/10

sewcraftygirl, Anna, 4/11

Snoopy5386, Kelsey, 4/11

Carita, Danita, 4/15 Tax Day baby , Fast and Furious NCB @ hospital w/MW and awesome doula!

GreenTeaGinger, Rowena, 4/15, midwife attended birth center birth

LenaC, Leon, 4/17, Born 16 days after his due date of April 1st. Held my ground, as doc wanted to induce for low amnio fluid. All natural hospital water birth, that lasted about 3 hours.

Jsh7809, Symphony, 4/18, PPD, emergency post birth surgery for vaginal hematoma

Triony, Tobin, 4/18

3tammuz, Aliza, 4/19, double footling breech, VBAC in a hospital

Bubbamummy, Molly, 04/21, breech with double nuchal cord leading to an 'elective' c-section at 39wks

Pepper44, Ada 4/21

Ann_of_loxley, Hamish born on the 22nd (all 12lbs 4oz of him - though do I really need to remind anyone of that? lol) - and his big brother Duncan born the 19th of September and is about to become FIVE years old! !

dogretro, dd2, 4/23, labored at home, birthed in the hospital, all-natural VBAC

mom2happy, baby girl Tess, 4/24

smeisnotapirate, Naomi, 4/25, HBAC! Shout it off the rooftops!

ebbb, Lucy, 4/27

Elecampane, Eleanor, 4/28

laughingfox, girl, 4/28, 2nd homebirth

LoveNeverFails, Mercy, 5/11, Winner of the Silver Birth Stool,
Accidental quasi-UC (midwife running in the door, but we caught head and she caught shoulders...) island birth (half in the water, half on land?), Survivor of Hostage Crisis 2010, NICU Edition, Mom of the only baby in NICU with toenails painted hot pink, and Remembering Nicholas, 11/2009

silverspook, Isaiah, 5/17, Awesome Rockstar Golden Birthstool Winner

TreefrogNYC, Benjamin Zephyr, 4/24, born at home after 7 IUIs and one m/c (3.6.09) -- husband, midwife, midwife's assistant, doula, and two cats in attendance!

See less See more
#102 ·
Ivy:
Two of my aunts, and one uncle all have RA. I get so scared when my wrist starts to act up because I"m scared it's RA. I'm glad you're catching it now. My aunt didn't catch on until she was already pretty far gone with it.

Lovely pictures
R is so not sitting up in her bouncy seat like that (thankfully). Nor is she pushing herself up to crawl (again a big relief there).

We bought R a Whozit which I call the "ugly toy." We had one that lasted through the first three kids and then vanished so I hate to get one for R. She ADORES it. It kept her from sobbing for a half hour car ride. Whoohoo!!!

#103 ·
I guess I have been lucky - perhaps its been all those anitbodies I have passed onto him those early days. I did not get ill at all in pregnancy but as soon as Hamish was born I came down with cold after sinus infection after cold! - it was terrible!.... As a result perhaps? - He has not been ill yet! Not a single drop of snot! I know DS1 by this age had had at least TWO colds by now!

#104 ·
Its crazy to see those pictures of your little girl Ivy - the difference between 5 months and 6 months is amazing! I can't picture Hamish yet sitting up that sturdy! She is so chunky too! Hamish is huge and still way up there on the percentiles but because he is also so long I don't get much lovely chunk to squish on him! hehe

#105 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto4plus4 View Post
Okay, seriously. JR's temper is really trying me. As soon as he sees the bedroom he starts screaming because he doesn't want to sleep. When I put him in the swing he arches and rolls and pushes and kicks and screams so I can barely buckle him. If I put him in the crib he screams til he sweats and flails like a fish out of water. He wants to stay attached to my boob but it's not like he'll sleep attached anywhere other than in bed and if I unlatch him he screams. I can't go to bed at 7pm. He's screaming in his crib right now because he threw such a tantrum when I tried putting him in the swing (he has reflux, colic, the swing has been the best solution and he happily went in it until about 3 weeks ago). Agh.

I have the same problem about not being able to go to bed. Thus, she doesn't go to sleep until about 9-9:30 and then DH bounces her in the carrier on the ball until 10:00. I go to bed around 9:30 to try to get a bit of sleep without a baby on me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by triony View Post
Rhi I can't believe how much further ahead L is. I keep trying to see if T wants to sit up, but he doesn't seem interested...

She was pretty early on sitting. Though I still can't walk away from her without pillows around because she's likely to lunge forward and she still doesn't catch herself.

But she's a bit behind average on things that involve arm strength (such as catching herself if she falls). Thus, she's only just now managed to push her chest off the ground despite the fact that sears puts that in the 4 month section. So, I imagine that despite her desire to crawl it's going to be quite a while before she has the arm strength.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
I

We bought R a Whozit which I call the "ugly toy." We had one that lasted through the first three kids and then vanished so I hate to get one for R. She ADORES it. It kept her from sobbing for a half hour car ride. Whoohoo!!!
The Whoozit was the very very first toy that L ever showed any interest in!

#106 ·
Better night of sleep over here, but I'm not sure what to credit it to. Was it....
#1 -- barely any naps yesterday (3, 30 minute or less naps)
#2 -- closing the door to his room again (I'd started leaving it open after the baby monitor incident, but the cats can be really loud at night)
#3 -- my supply increasing (I upped my intake of fenugreek from the 3 pills recommended on the bottle to the 8 (!) pills called for on kellymom)
#4 -- complete coincidence

Guess we'll see tonight, huh?

Oh, Jess? Crazy thought, but have you tried cutting out the black tea? Maybe that's affecting her?

#107 ·
Ivy,
. BTW, I think Becki looks a lot like you, mostly in pictures where she's smiling.

Mercy is on the young side of the DDC, but definitely no sitting over here, but she's also only 4 1/2 months. So, I don't expect her to be doing THAT nonsense anytime soon. Geez, what do these babies think they're doing, getting bigger so fast?!

#109 ·
So my cousins just had their second baby, and it is a boy.....

I'm incredibly happy for them, and I can't wait to meet the little guy....

And I love Kelsey to death and wouldn't trade her for the world, but I'm feeling incredibly emotional right now......

Kelsey is our last and I have always, always, always wanted a son. I always thought I'd have two sons or a son and a daughter, never two daughters.

And so to see my cousins have a son only 5 months after I had Kelsey, well it is hard, very hard......

Today is going to be a rough day for me today........

Gonna go snuggle my baby now.

#112 ·
snoopy. I have THREE friends who had two girls and now are expecting a boy right now. Three! I adore becky, and she IS who I needed in my life, but I recently passed on all of our "back-up boy" clothes to one, and am trying trying trying not to be jealous. I can NOT imagine being pregnant/having a newborn again, but not having that little boy weighs on me enough to consider it.

#114 ·
SCG, that's so cool!

I was just talking to SmeIsNotAPirate on Twitter, and she needs vegan recipe books. She has food allergies and is reactive to oats, eggs and dairy. So, she's having a hell of a time finding especially breakfast foods to eat. Help!

#115 ·
Hey everyone!

I tried to read through and respond to the last thread, but it was so long I didn't make it through.
Anyway, five pages was doable, so I was very happy to catch up on everyone!

Solids: still nothing here. DS does like to suck on the raw carrot, but he drops them almost immediately to roll around on the floor and be covered with dog hair. I am thinking of trying avocado on his 6 month birthday, and then I'll probably do banana, too. He has very loose poop, so I am hoping the banana will help with that. I am waiting on the grains until a year, probably. I have a very robust digestion and no allergies at all, but Dh has horrible seasonal allergies and eczema. His early diet was very heavy on grains and dairy products. I don't think there is any way to know if there is a connection there or not, but DS doesn't know what he's missing, so
, why not skip them. We don't have a highchair set up for him yet. I was thinking about getting one of the trays that fits on the bumbo, but...

Bumbo: He can escape from the bumbo! I stopped using the bumbo on elevated surfaces a few weeks ago (I know you're not to supposed to at all, but I only ever did it when sitting right next to him), because he seemed really close to getting out of it. A few days ago I was washing dishes and he was in the bumbo on the floor, and DD said, "V escaped!" He certainly had. He just rolls right out of it with nary a peep. DD was 18 months old before she could easily extricate herself. DS is a lot slimmer than DD, so I think that's a part of it.

"Milestones": He will be 6 months at the beginning of October. He sits and rolls over, and is trying to pull up on everything available
. He and DD were in the bath together (he in his baby tub), and I wasn't paying attention to him while soaping DD. I turned back in his direction, and he was standing in the baby tub holding on to the sides and looking very pleased with himself.

Teeth: he has the two bottom teeth, and "cutting" them was miserable for him. The night before the second one finally erupted, he cried almost all night. It was very sad. However, the next morning both teeth had pushed through, and he has been much happier since then.

Napping: He is such a light sleeper, and DD just cannot control herself enough to be quiet while he is sleeping. It has probably been months since he had a nap that lasted longer than 45 minutes. Most days, two of his three naps are on my back in the Beco while I wash dishes. Oh well.

P&H, we are delaying vaccines until age two (Dtap, mostly for the tetanus component since we plan to live with livestock), then MMR age four. Probably.

LNF, I am so sorry you are dealing with the hospital stalking. Ugh. I hope you can get to the bottom of it and get them to leave you alone.

Books:
I just finished Holistic Baby Care by Randall Neustadter (spelling? I have no idea!) and also Natural Baby Care by Lauren Feder. I thought both were really interesting and included some information on homeopathy and herbal medicine which I found very educational (if not always entirely convincing).

Wow, what a post! I miss following our thread more closely, but I'm glad to read through and see that everyone is doing well.

#116 ·
Ivy - so sorry to hear about the asthma and RA. I was diagnosed with asthma at about age 8, mine only manifests when I get a bad cold, and I've never been completely unable to breathe, just get a terrible cough. Anyway, it's very very manageable, so I hope you ladies are easily treated as well!

Jen - I only rarely drink the black tea, and I definitely tried doing without for a few weeks to see if it made a difference. Nope! S doesn't really wake up that much at night, she just cries in her sleep, a lot. I'm wondering now if it's gas... she is a pretty gassy girl.

Last night was so-so - she fell asleep pretty easily, mostly without sucking, and then slept a 3 hour chunk! But then it was nursing every 2 hours, and crying herself awake at 5 so she could poop. Which isn't so bad overall, but since I was sleeping with her, every little peep woke up, and I didn't get much deep sleep. I'm gonna see if DH will do the first half of the night and I can do the second or something. I just have to get through the next few weeks of work and can go back to sleeping as little as she needs

S had her first cold a few weeks ago, and I had my first since last fall with her. I was miserable but she just seemed fussy (which definitely affected sleep) but cheerful. I got a humidifier, which helped, but I was dying to try the nose frida... she HATES the bulb thingy.

I am giving her more "alone" time (not in a weird way, just playing in her crib quietly, or letting her talk by herself in her room after she wakes up from a nap)... this is the age where they start getting a little more able to self-soothe and entertain, right? Maybe?

There was more but I can't remember, off to help the fusser!

Oh, and my back is killing me, every single morning. Sigh. Really, really bad pain that wakes me up. Not sure what to do, stretches and motrin aren't helping enough...

#117 ·
Jess, is it mid back? Mine hurts because of my hip to waist ratio, so I put a pillow under my waist and it helps a ton in terms of keeping my back from hurting a lot.

#118 ·
Ivy
That all just sucks. I hope you are feeling better soon. You might try acupuncture for the RA - I know sometimes it can help.

LNF: I seriously wish I were closer to you and could give you some relief - even just a nap or an hour to yourself. Hang in there, you are doing great!

to all dealing with gender disappointment. I have wondered sometimes how I will feel if one of our embryos turns out to be a boy. I still feel somehow that there is a boy out there for us.

vaccines - we don't, at all. Hasn't been an issue so far. I would not be categorically opposed to vaccinating Sofia at this point, if there was a need (like multiple outbreaks of mumps or measles at her school, or if we went on safari in Africa or something) but I would like to wait as long as possible. And I don't see us ever getting flu or chicken pox vaccines.

Babies actually slept three hour stretches last night. Heaven!

Found two booster seats for the older girls at the thrift store for $2 each, so the babies can have the seats with trays. Major savings there, plus it gets the trays off the top of our fridge. Yay!

Almost have the condo ready to rent. Now just have to deal with the storage unit. And of course the chaos that is our house these days. Sigh.

Oh, and dh got a call from the temp agency yesterday. If the company he interviewed with last week doesn't want him, there is a temp job for him that will last through the end of the year.
Still praying the permanent job works out, for obvious reasons. They are hiring at least two people, and only interviewed 8 or so, so he has a great chance.

#119 ·
Snoopy - I know how you feel. Its not only about never having a daughter for me (I never pictured myself with two boys - wanna swap? lmao - joking of course, I love my boys to bits - you know how it is though!)... but its also about not having a vaginal birth to me so even that is hard for me to take on board...seeing my friends get pregnant and have wonderful easy homebirths. My hope is to have a normal sized baby - perhaps I will have better luck with twins because surely they woudln't each be over 12lbs! lmao

#120 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
SCG, that's so cool!

I was just talking to SmeIsNotAPirate on Twitter, and she needs vegan recipe books. She has food allergies and is reactive to oats, eggs and dairy. So, she's having a hell of a time finding especially breakfast foods to eat. Help!
Vegan Soul Kitchen is my current fave. Mediterranean Vegan is good, too. Mediterranean Vegan has NO substitutions, it's all whole food. No "milk substitute", "egg substitute", "veggie burger crumbles" or anything. Vegan Soul has some, but not much at all. Both of those links have sample recipes.

Also, if she wants to make more "normal" vegan foods like lasagna, veggie burgers, muffins, etc., How it all Vegan is a good one.

#121 ·
Vegan: My fav is Veganomicon. Love it and I'm not vegan
It's also whole foods as opposed to subs (although I like some subs myself
Off the top of my head for breakfast...rice cerals?

Snoopy: (((Hugs)))

Today has been long and is only going to get longer...the beasties were AWFUL today. Lots of bickering, being rude, refusing to help pick up. I was ended up yelling which I hate when I do and that of course ended up with me and middle girl beastie crying as we hugged. Sigh.

Now I have to go to my class where my students did really really awful on their first tests. I would think I was a bad teacher but I had five As including 2 100s out of a class of 33. And dh was able to a bunch of the questions and he's never taken the class or read the material.

Oh and dh wants me to that Darwin birth stool thingie...um...no.

#122 ·
Sara says thanks and that she'll be back soon!

And Ginger, don't you even TRY to steal my Platinum Bedazzled Birthing Stool of Winning At Darwin! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!

#123 ·
GTG -- Birth stool? Seriously? Yipes. Not here. I think about another more than I thought I would, but I think it's because I'm really enjoying Sprout and his personality. I'm working on realizing that doesn't mean another is a good idea -- just that I should enjoy this fun little guy. It does feel weird to think I'm young, yet know that my family is done, is set.

LNF -- Seriously? You still want the birth stool? After this week alone with all the kids?

AFM -- We finally had a success with food! I tried hummus at dinner -- he actually seemed like it might be ok for a taste or two.... and then the breakdown. DH said Sprout had seemed to like peanut butter the other day.... I know it's not at all a traditional first food.... but I pulled that out and sure enough! Sprout was nomming on the spoon when I put it on there and pulling my PB-covered finger to his mouth to suck and bite (yeowch those are sharp little teeth!). I'm happy he at least likes something, so I know it's not a texture/sensation thing. Now we can just work on finding interesting flavors!

#124 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Oh yeah, and someone friended me on facebook yesterday, but I'm not sure who it was!
: it was me! I have been terrible about keeping up here, but I'm pretty good with FB, mostly cause it's so easy on my iPhone.

Suzanne ~mama to many including an April 7 babe, Adele.

#125 ·
Fun day with a mellow babe... I know this has got to be THE most ridiculous first time mama thing, but - she was so laid back today (even with cruddy naps) that I actually starting wondering, "is something wrong?". Ha ha, as I type this she's playing on her mat and blowing raspberries... I think she's just having a great week, very chill and happy to look around and grab things in her world. But of course I'm also like, "but what if something's making her TOO laid back?".

Jeez louise!

#126 ·
snoopy,
, and others still dealing w/ boy/girl issues. right now i'm feeling like NO WAY am i going through pre-e again, but i still remember how sure both of us felt right after charlie was born, that there's a little girl out there we haven't met yet... very conflicted over here.

mater,
, hey there! thanks for the update. you have quite the physically advanced little boy over there! i can't imagine charlie pulling up on things, but i think he will do it soon. he prefers standing to any other position. how do you pick the books you read? i'd like to know what new stuff is coming out, but am not sure where to plug myself in.

jenfl, wow, glad you found something for sprout to eat
. i don't know when i'll feel ready to give charlie food, though he seems more interested by the day. it seems like such a headache compared to EBF!

greentea, ack, what a day

thanks for everyone who continues to comment on Vaxing. i really think i'm gonna do the DTaP, because of the pertussis outbreak in several counties here - cases have been steadily on the rise in Western NC for the last several years. it's such a terrible thing for a baby to have, even if it's not a life threatening case. other than that, i have not decided, and i'm ok with that for now. I really don't get why certain vaccines are ONLY available bundled.

i have a game i'm playing with charlie right now that he loves. i stand him up and hold his hips, and wiggle him in different directions, front-back, side to side, and around in circles, while saying "hula-hula-hula-hula". he works really hard to stay upright and grins and giggles. fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.