Mothering Forum banner

April 2010 Mamas, through October 2nd

8K views 293 replies 33 participants last post by  Peace+Hope 
#1 ·

WELCOME

TO THE APRIL 2010

DDC IN LWAB!

It's wonderful to be able to continue to chat with mamas we know here in LWAB, and we hope anyone who has been part of our DDC at any time will join in whenever you can. We also welcome other moms of babies born at the same time, just help us get to know you.

Below is a list of us mamas and our little ones, as well as some extra info.
Please feel free to have this edited any time by posting your request in this thread in bold.

For now we will be a weekly thread. In the future we can lengthen the time of our threads as needed.

erickalynne, Jennings, 2/11, single mom to 2, Jennings born at 32 weeks by emergency c/s due to placental abruption

Amandamanda, Adam, 3/2, (had my dates wrong in the beginning and was actually due in march - hung out here 'cause i liked you all! )

shantiani, Astrid, 3/14. Between recurring miscarriages and then pre-eclampsia, we had to work for this baby! But now she is here and perfect and worth all of the trials.

Peace+Hope, Charlie, 3/25, late-onset Pre-E, induction at 37 weeks, no pain meds! grieving my home birth... maybe next time?

NH Mom, Charlie, 3/27

Oliver's Mama, Eli, 3/27/10

jenfl, Sprout, 3/31, home water birth, transfer at birth+10 hours, forced 3 day NICU stay for Sprout (and I) because of doctors practicing defensive medicine, ongoing breastfeeding issues due to tongue tie and high palate

Ivymae, Rebecca Joy, 4/1, Home water birth

rolenta, Naomi, 4/2

MaterPrimaePuellae, V, 4/4

Liz.Furtado, Maxwell Cohen, 4/5

momto4plus4, Jeremiah, 4/5, induced, stuck at 9.5 cm, ended in 1st c-section, cord wrapped, SO grateful he's alive!

Cecilia'sMama, Cecilia, 4/6, high BP at 38 weeks, avoided c-section!

crazyeight, Baby R, 4/6 (and is a boy!) and joins 2 older siblings! He was a vaginal birth at 41 weeks.

finn'smama, Henry, 4/7, born at home

andlee, Ben, 4/8

RhiOrion, L, 4/8, medical induction due to Cholestasis of Pregnancy, WOHM

Dena, Hannah and Maya, 4/9

dhinderliter,R, 4/10

sewcraftygirl, Anna, 4/11

Snoopy5386, Kelsey, 4/11

Carita, Danita, 4/15 Tax Day baby , Fast and Furious NCB @ hospital w/MW and awesome doula!

GreenTeaGinger, Rowena, 4/15, midwife attended birth center birth

LenaC, Leon, 4/17, Born 16 days after his due date of April 1st. Held my ground, as doc wanted to induce for low amnio fluid. All natural hospital water birth, that lasted about 3 hours.

Jsh7809, Symphony, 4/18, PPD, emergency post birth surgery for vaginal hematoma

Triony, Tobin, 4/18

3tammuz, Aliza, 4/19, double footling breech, VBAC in a hospital

Bubbamummy, Molly, 04/21, breech with double nuchal cord leading to an 'elective' c-section at 39wks

Pepper44, Ada 4/21

Ann_of_loxley, Hamish born on the 22nd (all 12lbs 4oz of him - though do I really need to remind anyone of that? lol) - and his big brother Duncan born the 19th of September and is about to become FIVE years old! !

dogretro, dd2, 4/23, labored at home, birthed in the hospital, all-natural VBAC

mom2happy, baby girl Tess, 4/24

smeisnotapirate, Naomi, 4/25, HBAC! Shout it off the rooftops!

ebbb, Lucy, 4/27

Elecampane, Eleanor, 4/28

laughingfox, girl, 4/28, 2nd homebirth

LoveNeverFails, Mercy, 5/11, Winner of the Silver Birth Stool,
Accidental quasi-UC (midwife running in the door, but we caught head and she caught shoulders...) island birth (half in the water, half on land?), Survivor of Hostage Crisis 2010, NICU Edition, Mom of the only baby in NICU with toenails painted hot pink, and Remembering Nicholas, 11/2009

silverspook, Isaiah, 5/17, Awesome Rockstar Golden Birthstool Winner

TreefrogNYC, Benjamin Zephyr, 4/24, born at home after 7 IUIs and one m/c (3.6.09) -- husband, midwife, midwife's assistant, doula, and two cats in attendance!

See less See more
#177 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Car seat: I dont think a pool noodle will fit in my back seat with DD1's seat too! But she fell asleep in there the other day and wasn't slumped at all, so maybe it's ok? I worry, lol.
You can cut it. It won't effect the stability of the noodle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momto4plus4 View Post
Sehbub[/I][/B]: how are you feeling
Much better, thanks for asking! Just really tender now...I'm one big bruise from my knees to my bust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Pepper- You can just cut the noodle down. That's what I did.
Yep, exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
hey, pumping/ bottlefeeding mamas, how do you wash/ sterilize your bottles and nipples? I have just been washing them super hot with a little natural soap but that "butter" never quite seems gone... any tips?
Dishwasher. I hand wash if I know I'm going to be using it soon, but otherwise I toss 'em in the dishwasher. I have a basket for the small pump parts and nipples and then just put the bottles in the top rack.

#178 ·
I'm a bit worried about our 6mo appt, too. She was 14-3 according to our baby scare. That was yesterday or the day before, and she was 13-5 at her 4 month appt, the week after she turned 4 mo. But, DH and I were tiny kids and teenagers. I was 5-5 and 82 pounds when I was 13. Skinnnnny. And I have some other suspicions about her slow-down, related to reflux and zantac.

#179 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorin View Post
I usually hand wash with some antibacterial soap and a bottle brush, but every once in a while, I stick them in the dishwasher. They come out like new!

Want to hear a "bad mommy" story? I was hand washing the funnel thing that goes over your breasts. After the first three months of using my pump, I began to notice a sour milk smell whenever I would use it. I could not, for the life of me, figure out where it was coming from. One day, as I was washing the breast part, something dawned on me to look at it closely. That's when I realized that it came apart so that you can wash inside of the little parts! *That's* where the smell was coming from! There was like 3 months of milk built up in there. I mean, soap and water *did* get in there, but it had never actually been scrubbed! My poor little one must have the immune system of a horse to not get sick off of that. I blame sleep deprivation.

Sorin... I had EXACTLY the same realization! Only, sadly, mine was only a week or so ago, eep! Luckily there wasn't too bad of a stink, it just looked a little gunky and I was like, "why can't I get that part fully clean?". Only then did I realize it came apart. Sigh, thank goodness breastmilk has all of that good antibacterial stuff in it naturally! Sheesh.

We're not religious ourselves but I was raised Presbyterian and my mom loves talking about nursing the babies in church. She has a particular story about sitting in the front row when a visiting priest was doing the sermon, and me nom nom nomming so happily and loudly that he finally stopped and made a comment about how great that was or something
. She also loves telling a story about my brother poop-leaking all over his Christening gown
- thank goodness for baby blankets!

LNF, hooray for Miss Mercy's baptism! I hope it was a beautiful, happy day, AND that your husband is home to give you some rest and recouperation.

Just want to make sure no one was offended by the silly video and my comments - you all know that I so appreciate that everyone can have varying degrees of AP and crunchiness here and not be reprimanded. I think it's great to have a place where we can be ourselves and not feel shunned, even if we would do things so differently from each other. I have total respect for everyone's different choices!

S tried banana this morning, so cute and funny. I took 10 bazillion pictures. I seriously feel more and more in love with this baby in a BIG BIG way every second. She's just my bestie and I am so grateful!

#181 ·
Hey everyone, just stopping by to let you know I lurk around here
Been trying to catch up on all the posts. Life has been crazy, we have my FIL here right now from OH and thats...well...errmm...'exciting' I guess you might say. We dont agree on many, many things but im too nice to say anything, so there is lots of smiling and nodding going on

Jess: just read about you asking about how we wash bottles, I pump exclusively and they get dumped into hot soapy water and scrubbed pretty well as I have found breastmilk makes the bottle super greasy. I then sterilize them in a microwave sterilizer for 3 minutes. Im a bit of a germ-o-phobe and in England its recommended that you sterilize EVERY.THING until they are 1.

AFM well we are plodding along. My husband has got orders to spend a year in Korea without us, so in April I'll be going home to England with the kiddos for a year without my man, which sucks, but we're really hoping to be stationed in Europe afterwards. Molly is 14lbs 8oz a pretty tiny little thing compred to her bro who was over 20lbs at this age. she is rolling both ways and sitting with support but no where near able to sit unsupported yet. We still have no teeth but that's not surprising since my son didnt get teeth until he was one! Im planning on introducing some banana or avocado here within the next 2 weeks.

#182 ·
sorin! lol, the pump parts. a mom and baby nurse showed me how to use a pump, including washing it. who knows what would have happened otherwise! i had the pump on the lowest setting for almost a week, til a LC asked me about it. i was like, oh, it has settings?

jsh, i thought that video was funny. i was raised presbyterian too

mater, thanks for your thoughts about books. every time i think about it, i wish i could go in powell's in portland, or every week. i was in heaven last year when we were there - they had every NP/AP book i've ever heard of, and obviously more. MDC oughta have a book reviewer.

lnf, yay for mercy's baptism! i love that part of the church community, and have many fond memories of watching baptisms. my dad is a pastor, and he always cried.

who uses anything other than hyland's for teething pain? this tooth seems to be bothering charlie more than the others, and he's fussing all day long, for days now. i'm thinking the homeopathy isn't cutting it. i know ivy and at least one other person mentioned oragel...

such a cozy day! we are in our pjs, curled up in the living room with football on mute so charlie doesn't stare at the TV. it's so cool we almost need our heater!

#183 ·
Wow, I can't keep up with you all...

P+H, we use tylenol for teething pain. Target makes a dye-free one. We don't use it all the time, but if the Hyland's clearly isn't cutting it, I don't hesitate. We tried oragel, but it never worked much on the first two. Camilla was never too effective either for our kids, though I know others for whom it has worked wonders.

Bottle washing - we use the dishwasher too. With our family, we run it pretty much every day, so it is pretty easy to keep them clean that way.

Parenting advice - this is a touchy topic for everyone, I think. It is hard because everyone is very emotional about parenting choices, and everyone wants to be a good parent, and most have researched pretty thoroughly the choices they make, so I think any advice is heard, by some, as a condemnation of their whole parenting style. IDK, I don't get it myself. Frankly, I like to hear other perspectives and hear about what works for others. I take what works for me and leave the rest, and expect others to do the same.

Well, I popped into the moms of multiples forum briefly. Lets just say I am SOOO thankful for all of you.

Not much new here. Still waiting for dh to hear on the one job. The temp job fell through because he was overqualified.
We joined the Y yesterday, so now I can swim.
And dh can go to the downtown one and network with his exercise. Hey, can't hurt...

#184 ·
Teething: Our first line of defense is hylands, chamomilla, and arnica. Then it's oragel. Then, if it's 11pm and she's still screaming, it's tylenol. Becky is by far my worst teether, but she's our best sleeper most of the time, so I guess it balances out.

Parenting advice: I'm guilty of giving advice from my own experience and not realizing how it could hurt others. I think it's a rare person that doesn't mess up that way at some point. Luckily I am blessed with friends who have a huge range of experience, and we all assume the best intentions in each other. My advice is just that, not judgement. That's a hard place to get to though, especially as a new mom.

I also have friendships that have not survived the parenting transition. And that's okay. Sometimes it was because they were dealing with coming to terms with their own trauma (like your friend, Rhi) and sometimes it was because I could not look past my own struggles to not take their choices personally. Some of those friendships have come back around after a few years, and sometimes they haven't.

Sisters are different, because (usually) we have years and years of baggage and competition that gets drug into the parenting struggle. My sister and I parent differently, but I think once my daughter was more than a lump of bread, and I had already made soem "big" mistakes, i was humbled enough to overlook those differences. Thank god she hasn't lorded my asinine comments over me.

As for us: I'm tired.

#185 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorin View Post
I usually hand wash with some antibacterial soap and a bottle brush, but every once in a while, I stick them in the dishwasher. They come out like new!

Want to hear a "bad mommy" story? I was hand washing the funnel thing that goes over your breasts. After the first three months of using my pump, I began to notice a sour milk smell whenever I would use it. I could not, for the life of me, figure out where it was coming from. One day, as I was washing the breast part, something dawned on me to look at it closely. That's when I realized that it came apart so that you can wash inside of the little parts! *That's* where the smell was coming from! There was like 3 months of milk built up in there. I mean, soap and water *did* get in there, but it had never actually been scrubbed! My poor little one must have the immune system of a horse to not get sick off of that. I blame sleep deprivation.

Ahhh! I find this incredibly funny because I did the same thing And I was pumping CONSTANTLY in the beginning because we had latching issues and didn't know about the tube thing (I forgot what its called, sry!). I was always detatching the funnel but the parts inside...I was trying so hard to get out all of the residue inside but then one day I figured I'd try it and it came off! Thought I'd broke it! I scrub my bottles in hot soapy water and sometimes have to use qtips to get inside the part the brush can't reach. Its so tedious. I hate pumping.

#186 ·
Grr, quick vent.

Every sunday DH plays music in the basement with friends. Usually from about 4:30 'til 6:00 or so. Well, today they started at 4:00. They're still out there sitting on the porch smoking freakin' cigarettes. In the mean time I'm sitting here with a screaming baby in my lap. She MUST be teething. I've even given her tylenol. She definitely doesn't feel well because she was passed out on me and did the wimpering in her sleep thing she does when she's sick. I think teeth, judging by the relief she got with the frozen teether. But now she's over that.

Anyhow. I'm SURE they can hear her out there! Why the heck doesn't he come HELP ME?! I need to pee. But I can't get her to stop crying now even when I'm holding her, and if I put her down she turns into a screaming sobbing shrieking mess. ARGH.

#187 ·
grr, he just came in and told L he'd be back in just a second. I thought he was going to just go change shirts. But no, he's downstairs.

And he thought we were going to have sex tonight.

#189 ·
Oh, so, this evening I put Sprout down to sleep as usual. But he was tossing and fussing more than usual (he almost always tosses around somewhat). I kept going in like usual to scoot him back to the foot of the crib, flip him back to his stomach, but nothing was helping. Finally I decided to try nursing him again, picked him up.....

BUUUUUUUUUUUURP

And he settled in to not-really-nurse until I put him back in the crib and he conked out.

#190 ·
Thanks everyone for the support about breastfeeding at church...it really is hard b/c it is the only place we go where H and I are in the same place but I can't actually go to him or take care of him (I'm a priest if you're wondering) when he needs me. My dw does a great job with the baby wrangling there but, between 10am and 12pm on Sunday morning, I have to work so he is stuck being able to hear me but getting a bottle and not getting to go to me (this will be fun when the seperation anxiety really hits). EVERY mom in the congregation has extended their support but my boss (altho' she didn't say it specifically) doesn't want me nursing in front of kids, or really anyone who might be uncomfortable seeing me nurse...which makes me want to scream. I nurse EVERYWHERE else (restaurants, parks...a pub this evening
I'm a little worried about H's baptism day next week...he'll be there longer than usual and the best bet would be nursing immediately after the service to keep him happy. Argghhh, I wish there were parishioners w/ nurslings at my church who nursed at church!

Otherwise, H is having a ROUGH sleep week...I tried to eat a little dairy this past week and it did not go well (lots of ouchy gas for him) and I'm thinking that at 23 weeks he is in a cross section of week 19/23 wonder week developmental stuff. He is blowing rasberries like mad and rolling all over the place and sitting and he'd love to crawl but can't figure it out yet. All of that said, he is generally cheerful and absolutely adorable in his weeble wobble but they don't fall down kind of way

#191 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
grr, he just came in and told L he'd be back in just a second. I thought he was going to just go change shirts. But no, he's downstairs.

And he thought we were going to have sex tonight.
Rhi,

Men can be awfully obtuse sometimes. After that business trip where Steve left me at home with FIVE CHILDREN UNDER AGE 8, what did he bring me as a present? 6 pieces of salt water taffy. 6. Men are odd sometimes. But he did sign off on an iPad for me.

#192 ·
Yay for an iPad! On the tech-vacation-in-SF that my DH went to, he was like "I could've signed up to win an iPad but I didn't cause I don't want one". I thought, ummmm I want one! I got no present (but of course, have only one kid to look after on my own).

Rhi, it's funny because our girls seem to have so many similarities sometimes... today I fed her banana and thought of L going to town with hers the other day. Then S was screamy and uncomfortable and wouldn't nap, kept biting my finger and nipple HARD and trying desperately to get her fingers in her mouth. I finally gave her the freezy ring that she's never ever liked before and she's been quietly nomming on it for awhile. I even thought to myself, "hmm, I wonder if this means that S and L are teething"... hope that's not weird! They just seem oddly in sync sometimes.

I kinda HOPE it's teeth - I know it makes no sense, but I just want to get those 2 teeth over with. I tried to explain that to my SIL (who's 8 months pregnant), the desire to just know that it is in fact teeth and then have them over with, even though it's only 2 out of however many. She thinks I'm crazy. I'm like, "it's the same with everything - if she's whiny and then finally has a big fart, I'm like, 'oh good, THAT was the problem.'" KWIM?

#193 ·
rhi,
. i'm with jenfl!

jenfl, lol the burp

wishin', are you episcopalian? maybe you could write your new(ish) primate in DC and ask her
. i'm sad that your supervisor would be like this, would you ever go above her to see what the church wide policy is, or ask supportive parishioners to approach her? it's so amazing that sometimes individuals assume others will be offended when they actually have no idea...
s to you.

lnf, ooooh, ipad...

ok, so i'm wondering further (and thanks dena and ivy for chiming in about teething), if charlie is not having trouble sleeping, and is not crying and certainly not screaming, should i medicate him for what seems to be teething pain? he's miserable for him, which means hours of whining/fussing and a lot more effort on my part to keep him distracted, which doesn't always work. WWYD?

totally forgot to share that charlie rolled over today! twice! stomach to back! six months + one day. tried to get him to repeat it for video, but no go. oh well

#194 ·
P+H -- We medicate when there's just nothing we can do to make him comfortable. If we can distract him or help him somehow, we do that first. But I have no compunctions about going to Tylenol for his comfort. We medicated him probably 2-3 times during the last teething episode (over a week or so).

#195 ·
Hey all! Just popping in to say hi. I've been reading, but haven't had time to reply. I always feel bad when I can't do that

Threw a big surprise party for DH for his 30th birthday yesterday. It actually went well, phew!
T is having a rough time with eating lately. I know he's hungry, but he'll latch on and suck a bit, then get mad. I'm wondering if he's waiting for let down? Then he won't relatch and just gets upset. Happens more on one side than the other. I never noticed a delayed let down before. I'm worried he's not getting enough to eat because I keep trying ot feed him on his hungry signals, but he sometimes won't eat till he's SCREAMING starving.

I want to start weaning him off of hte swaddle, but when he's uncomfortable (usually tired or hungry) he claws at his eyes while rubbing. He does this in his sleep transitions and wakes himself up! Argh! Sleep is better again, that's a relief. SIL is here for a bit, which is awesome, but I have trouble doing my daily routine with the baby when others are staying here.

#196 ·
triony: Sounds like things are rough for ds right now. So sorry. That's so hard. Have you posted over in bf'ing?

P&H: Woohoo on the rolling! As far as Tylenol, it hasn't helped for JR. He & ds1 are also reactive to the dye in it. SO, not a go for us. The homeopathy seems a better choice for mine. Hyland's has been great and thanks to whoever posted about the arnica and the other one (forget right now). I know I have the arnica but I think I have the other one also. Hadn't even thought to try those.

Jess: I SO get what you're saying about the teeth! My rlf & I have joked about the babes having a readout on their foreheads. I keep trying to figure out if it's teeth or tummy.

Jen: Love the burp story!

rhi: So sorry about dh. That HAS to be frustrating.

I'm so grateful for everyone who's posted about the rice cereal & constipation. I'm just doing fruit/vegies as he got so constipated that he had blood for the first time today. Poor thing. So, we're doing pears, bananas & avocado and I will try peaches next.

My mom gets in tomorrow! We're at a hotel for 3 days/2 nights while some energy renovation is done (ped concerned about the lead & dust). Looking so forward to the break and the time with my mom! She's going to LOVE JR! She hasn't seen him since 6 wks.

#197 ·
Well, he did eventually come and help me.

I do feel like bad mom of the year though. She'd just taken a nap and eaten for the entire hour she was napping.

So, while I was waiting for DH to come back upstairs I fed her- happy baby.

And then, of course, she was happy for DH.

I'm wondering if maybe cutting back on the Zantac was a good idea. Maybe what we think is a growth spurt is actually a revisit of her younger days when she wanted to eat to sooth a sore throat. I'm going to see how she does today at daycare with her more "scheduled" day (they don't schedule her, but she falls into her own schedule there).

Speaking of daycare. There was a new baby today. TINY. Maybe 8 weeks. And the mom was saying that they are scheduling her feeds and that they like her last meal to be at 8pm so they'd like daycare to give her her final bottle between 4:30-5:30. The DCP asked if her previous bottle was a little early if they still wanted them to wait to give her that bottle. And the mom said yes. That she'd like it to be as close to 5pm as possible.

I wonder what that's going to do to this woman's supply.

I mean, maybe this baby does really well with a schedule, but it made me sad.

And, I'd figured that daycare probably wished L would be on more of a schedule, until I realized today that my laid-backness is really easier for them. I'm like, "feed her when she's hungry." They generally "schedule" her feeds 2.5-3 hours apart, but if she shows that she's hungry before that then they feed her.

Jess- I think about you guys in random settings all the time. But S&L do have a lot in common! Except the sleep thing. L is a good sleeper, even if she has to be on us to do it.

#198 ·
I swear by the teething necklace (and the sling as he is in there so much and much more happy in the sling)....he got two teeth at three months of age and there are clearly more on the way and he has been happy as a clam!

I took Hamish out of the sling today and sat him down on the ground - and he sat up!....for a few seconds! hehe It's a start! For some strange reason I would like to be one of those people that can say 'I EBF my baby until they were a year old'...but I really do think Hamish will be ready for solids once he is 6 months of age. We shall see! For the past few days I have noticed him noticing his thumb and what he can do with it - such as the pincher grasp...so he is showing more and more signs of being ready...and he is such the monkey that I really am not going to be able to stop him for long! (especially with an older child who leaves a trail of food behind him wherever he goes eating me out of house and home currently! lol)

#199 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post

I kinda HOPE it's teeth - I know it makes no sense, but I just want to get those 2 teeth over with. I tried to explain that to my SIL (who's 8 months pregnant), the desire to just know that it is in fact teeth and then have them over with, even though it's only 2 out of however many. She thinks I'm crazy. I'm like, "it's the same with everything - if she's whiny and then finally has a big fart, I'm like, 'oh good, THAT was the problem.'" KWIM?
Yeah Jess - I like knowing what the problem is. Then you can do something about it - or know theres nothing you can do about it. I found with DS1, eventually, if something was wrong, we just chalked it up to 'teething'. 'Teething' became the answer to everything! (even if we had to try hard to convince ourselves of that! hehe)

#200 ·
Thanks again everyone...after a decent (only 3 wake ups!!!) nights sleep it all seems doable again! So, can't go over my boss' head on the nursing at church thing...that would explode into a massive stink and it's not worth it. In speaking w/ other colleagues (2 of whom are hardcore LLL folk) they basically said do what ya'gotta--one of them has nursed on demand basically anytime except during the services (including during an interview for her current call). So, I'm going to continue on with nursing at work as needed and able b/c considering I've been back since mid-August and there has been one complaint (older man...who's 10 day old grandchild is not being nursed) I think I've been doing okay. We'll see how it goes when I'm at the 2 day/overnight meeting with DW and baby in tow in November.

Otherwise, baby has let us know in no uncertain terms that he NEEDS to continue to sleep in our bed. His temperment has been totally off this week as we tried to transition to the crib and his naps had become a disaster and the night wakings a nightmare. Soooo, back in the bed last night...nursed at 9:15, 2:30 and 4:30-5am. Best sleep in over a week. And, altho' he cried a bit a couple of times it sure beat the 8 night wakings on Saturday night in the crib (we won't discuss what that did to my sermon!). And, this morning he went down for his nap like he used to, no muss no fuss. So, back in the bed it is.

Teething, kidlet has 2 (!) teeth already and is working on the top 2 and canines. We medicate pretty freely largely b/c he clearly is in pain when the teething really hits. We use infant motrin because it lasts longer than tylenol (so fewer doses) and when he's having a round the clock fuss/pain fest we can alternate the motrin with doses of tylenol (1 dose motrin lasts 6-8 hours followed by 1 dose of tylenol (4ish hours) The hyland's did not help at all, nor did the orajel. The motrin/tylenol combo has worked well. We talked about the amber necklaces but were uncomfortable with an unknown quantity of salicylic acid being absorved through the skin (salicylic acid is the active ingredient in aspirin, which can be very dangerous to give to babies and children and my mom's SEVERELY allergic to aspirin so we won't ever be using it).

#201 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

Teething, kidlet has 2 (!) teeth already and is working on the top 2 and canines. We medicate pretty freely largely b/c he clearly is in pain when the teething really hits. We use infant motrin because it lasts longer than tylenol (so fewer doses) and when he's having a round the clock fuss/pain fest we can alternate the motrin with doses of tylenol (1 dose motrin lasts 6-8 hours followed by 1 dose of tylenol (4ish hours) The hyland's did not help at all, nor did the orajel. The motrin/tylenol combo has worked well. We talked about the amber necklaces but were uncomfortable with an unknown quantity of salicylic acid being absorved through the skin (salicylic acid is the active ingredient in aspirin, which can be very dangerous to give to babies and children and my mom's SEVERELY allergic to aspirin so we won't ever be using it).
Teething necklaces are Succinic acid. Is that related to Salicylic acid? Google isn't helping me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.