Forum Jump: 

#1 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

WELCOME
TO THE APRIL 2010
DDC IN LWAB!

It's wonderful to be able to continue to chat with mamas we know here in LWAB, and we hope anyone who has been part of our DDC at any time will join in whenever you can. We also welcome other moms of babies born at the same time, just help us get to know you.

Below is a list of us mamas and our little ones, as well as some extra info.
Please feel free to have this edited any time by posting your request in this thread in bold.

For now we will be a weekly thread. In the future we can lengthen the time of our threads as needed.

erickalynne, Jennings, 2/11, single mom to 2, Jennings born at 32 weeks by emergency c/s due to placental abruption

Amandamanda, Adam, 3/2, (had my dates wrong in the beginning and was actually due in march - hung out here 'cause i liked you all! )

shantiani, Astrid, 3/14. Between recurring miscarriages and then pre-eclampsia, we had to work for this baby! But now she is here and perfect and worth all of the trials.

Peace+Hope, Charlie, 3/25, late-onset Pre-E, induction at 37 weeks, no pain meds! grieving my home birth... maybe next time?

NH Mom, Charlie, 3/27

Oliver's Mama, Eli, 3/27/10

jenfl, Sprout, 3/31, home water birth, transfer at birth+10 hours, forced 3 day NICU stay for Sprout (and I) because of doctors practicing defensive medicine, ongoing breastfeeding issues due to tongue tie and high palate

Ivymae, Rebecca Joy, 4/1, Home water birth

rolenta, Naomi, 4/2

MaterPrimaePuellae, V, 4/4

Liz.Furtado, Maxwell Cohen, 4/5

momto4plus4, Jeremiah, 4/5, induced, stuck at 9.5 cm, ended in 1st c-section, cord wrapped, SO grateful he's alive!

Cecilia'sMama, Cecilia, 4/6, high BP at 38 weeks, avoided c-section!

crazyeight, Baby R, 4/6 (and is a boy!) and joins 2 older siblings! He was a vaginal birth at 41 weeks.

finn'smama, Henry, 4/7, born at home

andlee, Ben, 4/8

RhiOrion, L, 4/8, medical induction due to Cholestasis of Pregnancy, WOHM

Dena, Hannah and Maya, 4/9

dhinderliter,R, 4/10

sewcraftygirl, Anna, 4/11

Snoopy5386, Kelsey, 4/11

Carita, Danita, 4/15 Tax Day baby , Fast and Furious NCB @ hospital w/MW and awesome doula!

GreenTeaGinger, Rowena, 4/15, midwife attended birth center birth

LenaC, Leon, 4/17, Born 16 days after his due date of April 1st. Held my ground, as doc wanted to induce for low amnio fluid. All natural hospital water birth, that lasted about 3 hours.

Jsh7809, Symphony, 4/18, PPD, emergency post birth surgery for vaginal hematoma

Triony, Tobin, 4/18

3tammuz, Aliza, 4/19, double footling breech, VBAC in a hospital

Bubbamummy, Molly, 04/21, breech with double nuchal cord leading to an 'elective' c-section at 39wks

Pepper44, Ada 4/21

Ann_of_loxley, Hamish born on the 22nd (all 12lbs 4oz of him - though do I really need to remind anyone of that? lol) - and his big brother Duncan born the 19th of September and is about to become FIVE years old! !

dogretro, dd2, 4/23, labored at home, birthed in the hospital, all-natural VBAC

mom2happy, baby girl Tess, 4/24

smeisnotapirate, Naomi, 4/25, HBAC! Shout it off the rooftops!

ebbb, Lucy, 4/27

Elecampane, Eleanor, 4/28

laughingfox, girl, 4/28, 2nd homebirth

LoveNeverFails, Mercy, 5/11, Winner of the Silver Birth Stool,
Accidental quasi-UC (midwife running in the door, but we caught head and she caught shoulders...) island birth (half in the water, half on land?), Survivor of Hostage Crisis 2010, NICU Edition, Mom of the only baby in NICU with toenails painted hot pink, and Remembering Nicholas, 11/2009

silverspook, Isaiah, 5/17, Awesome Rockstar Golden Birthstool Winner

TreefrogNYC, Benjamin Zephyr, 4/24, born at home after 7 IUIs and one m/c (3.6.09) -- husband, midwife, midwife's assistant, doula, and two cats in attendance!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#2 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

dena, how was your husband's interview???

4+4, so great about your mom coming!! i've decided i FEEL like i need my mom more as an adult than i ever realized i was needing her as a kid. it's still so important for me to be able to rely on her now... i hope your mom being there will be everything you hope for, and a good support through this time for you.

wow, jenica. s. it's amazing how many of us ended up NOT having the birth we planned... makes me wonder whether the 95% of births are without incident statement you always hear...

anne, yes, first food, put in in the baby book! i love my baby book, and my mom included the silly and odd.

pepper! i was about to ask about you . charlie just cut his #2 tooth this week too ((sniff))

triony, wow, i need to read birth stories again... have most of you posted yours on MDC? i only ever posted mine in our DDC.

so, i was away from the computer all day yesterday, we got up before the sun to go on my in-laws boat for the day, stayed a lot later than we'd planned, and didn't get home til 11pm! charlie was a champ, but he didn't really settle for the night til we got home last night. sweet boy.

#3 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM

I think we need a list of who has FB! I have 24 mama's from the DDC on FB and it's hard to remember usernames....Jen has a list, but I have way more of you added than what is on the list!

I feel like a bad mom. Jennings has the most awful owie on his head. It's about the size of a quarter and it's raw and bleeding. I noticed it last night and I have no clue where the kid could have gotten it. I put neosporin(sp?) on it. The night before campbell was dragging him on the carpet(she was sneaking him away to her room while I was going to the bathroom) and I am thinking it could be a rug burn?
I still feel awful.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#4 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Hey all!

I feel kinda out of the loop but it seems like i ahrdly ever have time to pop in here these days...how is everyone? And the babes?

Just wondering where all of your LO's are with milestones. I know every baby is different and they will get to each of them in their own time, I just keep reading things about how other 5-6 month olds are sitting up on their own and rolling over a lot- Max is not doing those things really at all! He HATES tummy time. I try to make sure he does it a few times a day since it'll only last for a couple of minutes at most, get down onf loor with him and play with him and with toys to try to distract him from the fact that he's on his tummy...I've used the boppy to take some of the pressure off his tummy to see if that's what's making him mad, EVERYTHING. We bw and doother things like stand him up on our laps and such so he has really aweome neck control but I'm just concerned he isn't going to be able to strengthen up his upper arms if he isn't getting enough tummy time. Someone (Sry! I forget who it was!) told me in a post I made about this before that since "tummy time" is mostly a western idea and that all babies get there eventually regardless, but I guess I'm still nervous about it!

Also, we started giving him a bit of cereal (I was going to start with fruit but a bunch of peope told me to start with cereal- no idea why I listened to them) and was giving him a little bit about once a day. He became so constipated that he was screaming the most awful screams every time he had to poo. I felt so bad. Needless to say I'm not giving him any more cereal. Have you guys introduced solids yet or are you waiting? To be honest I originally wanted to wait and didn't...Since we stopped the cereal he does seem to be fine with EBF so I'm just going to stick with my original gut feeling of waiting. If you HAVE started solids, what was your babes first food and how did he/she react to it? Just curious! If not, what do you think you'll start with?

Thanks, ladies!

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#5 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Joining up!

We're hanging out at my parents today (Nugget has been looking forward to football Sunday for ages) and Sprout met the cat that lives on their lanai for the first time. He FREAKED OUT! We've got 3 cats at home (one black, two brown tabby) who he loves to watch. But, for some reason, seeing this orange tabby has twice sent him into a mess of tears and screaming! I have no idea why!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#6 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Liz -- Re: Solids: We're really holding out to 6 months b/c Nugget had dairy issues and I'm being extra-careful. We'll do baby-led and start with bananas, sweet potatoes, and generally whatever is on our plates that seems appropriate. I did purees last time and it was fine, but I really like the BLW idea better.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#7 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
anne, yes, first food, put in in the baby book! i love my baby book, and my mom included the silly and odd.
Fantastic! At least it was the instructions from the new sling we got! hehe I could still see the Korean print on it when it came out!

We havn't actually started solids yet and I am not sure if I intend to for awhile. I am worried that with him, he may end up actually eating more food than getting milk just because of the kinda 'go go get' baby he is! Not sure what to do about that yet. Hes not ready physically - so I still have time! (to worry of course! lol)

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#8 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM

We haven't started solids yet, but will really soon. I bought some still-green bananas this weekend, and as soon as they start to turn brown, and thus mushy, I'll let her play. She's 5.5 months, so I'm comfortable with it.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#9 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM

P+H - Dh's interview went well, lasted most of the hour. Fingers crossed - it would be a great opportunity for him. Sounds like you had fun on the boat yesterday! Yay!

Jen - I have had my kids have weird reactions like sprout did to your parents' kitty too. Maybe the color was odd, or maybe he wanted kitty inside with him? I think it must be awful for babies to know what they want and not be able to say it!

Liz - I am also waiting until at least six months to start solids. My two have also had dairy/reflux issues and so I am being extra careful as well. Our traditional first food has been pear in our family, as it is the least allergenic. We'll move on to other soft foods like banana and sweet potato. We do mostly blw, with some purees of other things thrown in, but to be honest we let our kids self-feed the purees too. (Not coincidentally, the start of solids is also when we start nightly baths for our babes. )

Ericka - It could be rug burn on J's head. Try not to beat yourself up, Mama. My kids have bumps and bruises all the time (yes, even the babies) that I can't account for. I am sure he is fine. You just can't control every minute of their days, esp. with more than one in the house.

Afm - yesterday was a good day. We did gymnastics and swimming at the Y with the older girls. Tried gymnastics with Ellen but she did NOT want to participate and was disrupting the class. Since there is a waiting list for those classes, I pulled her out. We can try again next session. She loves swimming though, and Sofia had fun in gymnastics while Ellen swam. And bonus, I got to visit wih a mom friend whose son is in gymnastics at the same time as Sofie. Then we went on to the resale store and found some awesome bargains - Hanna Andersson jacket for $5 and dress for $6 for Ellen, plus two turtlenecks and a sweater for Sofie, and a Hanna Andersson cap for the babies for $1, and two diaper covers for $1.49 each! I also loved that when I showed DH the diaper covers, he let out a very genuine Whoo hoo! Then we watched The Blind Side last night. Great film! I want to be Leigh Anne Tuohy when I grow up...

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#10 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Hope everyone's having a lovely sunday. Can't respond to the other posts right now because I'm feeling like a wreck... I had been hoping that S's sleeping was slowly improving, doing some of the NCSS stuff and working on naps. Well, I finally just logged my second night (with NCSS, you do it every 10 days) and I realized that she's getting WORSE. Last night she woke up SEVEN TIMES between 7pm and 7am. Or, she woke me up anyway, and needed resettling or nursing. Seven, people.
DH has let me sleep in a bit both mornings this weekend, but it's really hitting me that it's been months now since I got more than the occasional 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. This is rough.
I know from last week that when I start crying because I'm exhausted and feeling like I'm doing everything wrong, that means it's DH's turn to get up with her and give her a bottle of pumped milk at night. She still ends up needing ME about twice a night but I will take that over 7 times!
Seriously, though... what AM I doing wrong? How can it be this awful STILL? If this is in fact a 4 month regression, we're going on a month and a half of it! She just turned 5 months, and I'm terrified we've got months of awful sleep ahead of us. She can't find her fingers to self soothe. She has to suck to sleep (though that was getting better - it's definitely not) and either have a ton of motion or be right next to me. I wouldn't mind cosleeping if it actually helped - right now I've been trying to mostly put her back in her crib, and end up spending about half the night cosleeping, which is fine, but she still wakes up a gazillion times with that. And I'm a light sleeper, so every peep she makes wakes me.
I'm really, really having trouble thinking clearly, just getting through the days (and nights!) like this. Looking at the sleep log I was like, no wonder I am a zombie. No wonder I can't do anything during the days. This is torture.
She didn't sleep this badly as a newborn, and slept relatively wonderfully around 2-3 months.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to let her cry - not CIO, don't get me wrong, but I'm so responsive to every noise (thinking, "well, at least this way I'm catching her before she wakes herself up so she's easier to resettle) that it's exhausting. I know she's young but I'm thinking I'm going to need to start letting her cry for 3-5 minutes (or at least move beyond the fussing stage into an actual cry, which I have a hard time doing) before going to her. Is that a terrible idea?
No matter how hard I try, for months and months, I can't take my finger (she has to suck on my pinky to sleep) away until she's fast asleep. I can literally try 20 times and she'll wake up everytime unless she's completely out.
ARGH!!
#11 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Stupid husband gone at stupid business trip, staying in stupid hotel that had a stupid fire alarm go off last night with my husband on the 11th floor, and freaking out. I couldn't sleep last night, not because Merce was keeping me up, but because there was a critical lack of snoring and covers stealing.

I am now tired enough to be on a quadruple espresso while trying to get work done, having taken 5 children under age 8 to Mass this morning by myself. And I was bouncing Merce on my lap and singing "I grew you and BOOTED you out! Booted you out! Booted you out!"

It's Survivor: Business Trip Edition. I blame my husband.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#12 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Jess - would it really not be better co-sleeping? I couldn't imagine having to get up that many times! If it makes you feel any better, I know Hamish feeds at least that amount of times in the night and I think that is totally normal! Cept - I don't have to move (unless I am swapping a boob! hehe) and he is right there...so even though I do wake up, it is for the briefest of moments and not a full-on-waking (like getting up out of bed would be!) and that really does help (as I can also then drift off back to sleep quicker!)!
I think fussing is our babies communicating with us just as much as crying - if we are responding to their fussing, they don't have to cry and I feel that only builds their trust in us as it lets them know we are listening and that they are valued people. It's hard - but this too shall pass (at least I hope so!)

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#13 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Jennings fed/attached literally every hour-hour and 1/2 last night. I think I counted 10 times from bed to wake time? 7 is nothing with us, 8-9 is average.
It is so much easier having him next to me. I still feel like a zombie though, but not like when I had to wake to pump and feed him.
I did buy a paci..Natursutten http://www.thesoftlanding.com/nanaruropa03.html and it is the ONLY paci he will take. He likes to chew on all of it too.
what is NCSS?
J is 7 months/5 months adjusted

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#14 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM

NCSS is a book called the No Cry Sleep Solution. It has a lot of great tips for parents who don't want their babies to cry it out... but I'm starting to think a lot of it might just be stuff that works out developmentally in time, anyway. I hope, at least! Grr.
I have been cosleeping typically when it has been so rough, but the past few nights have been trying to get her back in her crib most of the time so that I can (ideally) get back to the schedule we once had of me getting up to feed her 2-3 times a night and putting her back down until sunrise. I really am that light of a sleeper that every little movement (and she is WILD AND WIGGLY all night long) wakes me. It's tough, because clearly getting up 7 times isn't working either. Sigh. And everytime I think "OK, I'll just nurse her all night if that's what I need to do to get some sleep", I try it and she overfills and barfs all over both of us so I have to get up and change everything. UGH!

Trying to be patient, trying to help her learn to self soothe a bit (most of the wake ups, she just needs something to suck on, but isn't hungry, so it ends up being my fingers allll night long - she seems to forget she has her own! ha ha). But, hopefully all of it will pass in time... I'm just scared that it won't. I know that "bad habits" are kind of a myth at this age, but little girl is obviously getting used to getting up every hour or two!
#15 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

speaking of baby barf, tried the frozen carrot with charlie. he LOVED it, but it was a lot messier than i thought it would be, and the carrot got floppy pretty quickly. there was more liquid than i realized he was getting til he puked a few minutes later and it was orange..... ewwww. should i put that in the baby book?

jsh, eck, sorry. all i know is i've spent a lot of time reading on nighttime parenting here, and apparently what S is doing IS normal. not that it's what you want, but some babies are just more needy of mom for longer, or in stages. charlie has been waking more frequently for about a month as well, and i'm wondering when he'll go back to sleeping straight from 8pm to 4 am.

lnf, i don't know if i could do it! at least the olders go to school tomorrow . my husband is going away for one night next week, and i'm already thinking about staying w/ my parents...

#16 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Jess -- It's not just you. I wasn't able to co-sleep, either -- the smallest wiggle or noise woke me up. DH and I intended to be co-sleepers, but it just didn't work for us with DD. I did it occassionally with Sprout, but, yeah, just not my thing.

#17 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 PM

P&H- that's weird. we didn't have any trouble with the carrot getting soggy or her actually getting any. I wonder if it has anything to do with freezing it? I haven't actually tried that yet. I wonder if it busted the cells or something and made it floppable.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#18 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
P&H- that's weird. we didn't have any trouble with the carrot getting soggy or her actually getting any. I wonder if it has anything to do with freezing it? I haven't actually tried that yet. I wonder if it busted the cells or something and made it floppable.
Ha ha, love the science on that!

I am having a harder and harder time holding off on food... she wants to eat just about everything, including cat fur and the wisteria vine I showed her. I think we're gonna have some food playtime here shortly!

Thanks for the commiseration on the sleeping stuff. Yeah, it's weird because a lot of my friends have told me they had the same experience until the baby was about 6 months old - others have had babies who sleep through from very early - and still others have had awful sleepers until 2-3 years! So it's good to be reminded that it's normal, and that the only thing I can control is asking for more help, and my reaction to it. I'm trying to take the time when we're nursing or cuddling when she needs help sleeping to rub her back, kiss her head, and really connect to her and the moment - because I know it won't last forever, and I know that she needs me, and it's awesome that only I can give her what she needs
It just also means I am a zooooombie a lot of the time around here! Sigh, oh well. I just need to stop running through all of the millions of things I could be doing (Ferber, NCSS, getting up at every peep, waiting until she's wide awake, swaddling, unswaddled, etc) because I"m driving both of us crazy!

LNF, how's the knee? I"m trying to step up my "exercise" but that just means going for some 30 minute walks; doing ab stuff so my back hurts less; and having sex at least once a week . TMI?
#19 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM

my daughter was a great sleeper. We coslept with her and I only woke up 2-3 times to feed her..but she slept all through the night, usually me having to wake her to feed her.
Jennings is complete opposite of her though

TTC #3

#20 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Jeremiah, 4-5-10, induced, stuck at 9.5 cm, ended in 1st c-section, cord wrapped, SO grateful he's alive!

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#21 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Hope everyone's having a lovely sunday. Can't respond to the other posts right now because I'm feeling like a wreck... I had been hoping that S's sleeping was slowly improving, doing some of the NCSS stuff and working on naps. Well, I finally just logged my second night (with NCSS, you do it every 10 days) and I realized that she's getting WORSE. Last night she woke up SEVEN TIMES between 7pm and 7am. Or, she woke me up anyway, and needed resettling or nursing. Seven, people.
DH has let me sleep in a bit both mornings this weekend, but it's really hitting me that it's been months now since I got more than the occasional 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. This is rough.
I know from last week that when I start crying because I'm exhausted and feeling like I'm doing everything wrong, that means it's DH's turn to get up with her and give her a bottle of pumped milk at night. She still ends up needing ME about twice a night but I will take that over 7 times!
Seriously, though... what AM I doing wrong? How can it be this awful STILL? If this is in fact a 4 month regression, we're going on a month and a half of it! She just turned 5 months, and I'm terrified we've got months of awful sleep ahead of us. She can't find her fingers to self soothe. She has to suck to sleep (though that was getting better - it's definitely not) and either have a ton of motion or be right next to me. I wouldn't mind cosleeping if it actually helped - right now I've been trying to mostly put her back in her crib, and end up spending about half the night cosleeping, which is fine, but she still wakes up a gazillion times with that. And I'm a light sleeper, so every peep she makes wakes me.
I'm really, really having trouble thinking clearly, just getting through the days (and nights!) like this. Looking at the sleep log I was like, no wonder I am a zombie. No wonder I can't do anything during the days. This is torture.
She didn't sleep this badly as a newborn, and slept relatively wonderfully around 2-3 months.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to let her cry - not CIO, don't get me wrong, but I'm so responsive to every noise (thinking, "well, at least this way I'm catching her before she wakes herself up so she's easier to resettle) that it's exhausting. I know she's young but I'm thinking I'm going to need to start letting her cry for 3-5 minutes (or at least move beyond the fussing stage into an actual cry, which I have a hard time doing) before going to her. Is that a terrible idea?
No matter how hard I try, for months and months, I can't take my finger (she has to suck on my pinky to sleep) away until she's fast asleep. I can literally try 20 times and she'll wake up everytime unless she's completely out.
ARGH!!
I posted all the following before I read your other posts, maybe a Pack and Play next to your bed might be a happy medium between co-sleeping and having her sleep in her crib?

Jess, what's your stance on pacifiers? Are you totally anti or does S just not like them? Leyla didn't care about hers at first but I really wanted her to take one because I didn't want her to suck her thumb. (My reasoning is you can take away a pacifier but you can't take away a thumb). Anyway, to get her to take it I dipped it in a little sugar water a couple times. Now she takes it no problem. Maybe it would be easier for you if you could get S to take a paci so you wouldn't have to give her your finger.

Leyla still wakes a lot at night (probably as often as Symphony) but L seems to resettle faster than S so maybe something I do might help you. One thing we started several weeks ago (after we stopped swaddling was giving L her burp cloth to hug while we rocked/bounced her to sleep. She started associating it with sleeping so when we paci her and hand her her burp cloth she now cuddles into it and closes her eyes. It also helps keeps her asleep when we put her down because she holds onto it the whole time. About a week and a half ago she learned to put herself to sleep for naps as long as she has the cloth and paci At night we'll put her in her crib in her room and sometimes she'll fuss but we just keep giving her her paci and cloth and she goes to sleep. (Sidenote: L almost always fusses before going to sleep even when we hold her. She just needs to complain before she sleeps. We don't let her all out cry but the whining she does whether we're there or not so I don't think it counts as CIO). She sometimes wakes up after her normal 1/2 hr nap amount and if she's wide awake she hangs out on her baby gym or her swing and when she gets fussy we put her back in her crib. When we go up to bed I change her into a sposie and take her into our room and I nurse her to sleep in our bed then put her in the bassinet. (Another sidenote: I keep our bedroom dark, no nightlight and definitely no turning on reg lamps. I generally leave her in the sposie all night unless she poops in the night and then I might turn our flameless candle on so I can change her but it still stays dim) She nurses at least every 2 1/2 - 3 hrs and after the first nursing she sleeps next to me. Before she's next to me when she stirs I give her the paci and cloth. I do this without sitting up because if she see me she wants we to nurse her so I just hang my arm over the bassinet and do it all by feel. If she's really awake and is wiggling and kicking her feet I'll hold her feet until she settles. If she starts crying I bring her in bed and latch her on and we both go back to sleep. During the night she wakes up ALOT but I barely wake up and I'll help her latch and then go back to sleep. Sometimes she doesn't want to nurse, then it's usually either needing to burp, she's uncomfortable on her side and wants to be on her back or vice versa, wants the covers up or down, or just wants my hand on her chest or head. If she's just moving too much in her sleep for me to sleep I put her back in the bassinet. I do most of my nighttime parenting half-asleep. I don't stress about how many times she wakes because I found that when I was trying to keep track of it I would wake up more fully and, 1-not be able to fall back to sleep quickly 2-be more tired. Maybe none of this is helpful to you at all but maybe something I'm doing differently might work for you. I just feel really bad for you, you just seem miserable and not able to fully enjoy your LO because of the sleep deprivation.

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
#22 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
i've decided i FEEL like i need my mom more as an adult than i ever realized i was needing her as a kid. it's still so important for me to be able to rely on her now...
This is how I've felt too. She's a wonderful mom and sometimes it's hard for me to really understand that someone else in this world feels about me the way I feel about my kids-that complete unconditional, unwavering love.

Congrats on tooth #2! JR really is working at his-drool gallor and just munching on his hands a ton.

I, too, did NOT have my ideal birth with JR. Textbook unmedicated birth w/#1 & things just went down from there until #4 was a c-section. But, at least they're all alive and healthy. I posted my birth story but not sure if it's just in the ddc or in the birth stories thread.

erickalynne: Ouch, poor little guy. So sorry. I hope it heals quickly. I'm not on any FB list as I was out of the loop for a while. Thanks for posting the link for the pacifier. I thought I had bought EVERY kind out there. Wondering if JR's possible tongue/lip tie may be why he won't take one??? Going to give this one a shot.

Liz: Mine isn't sitting at all. I mean, he can sit for about 2-3 seconds on my lap or between my legs but not anywhere near on his own. My others were all at least 6 mths before sitting. He's rolling tummy to back but not the other way and he HATES tummy time. I don't worry. I never really gave my others tummy time (all hated it) and they've all been just fine. I've given JR some rice cereal but stopped. Now just some puffed rice. I tried ds1 on carrots first & that was awful. Mine are all super sensitive. Dd1 started with cereal and she was fine. Do what you think is best.

Jen: that's interesting that he's used to your cats but frieked over theirs. Is their cat bigger?

Dena: Glad that dh's interview went well. Keep us posted!

JSH: I hear you on the sleep thing. NONE of my kids have been good sleepers. I anticipate being up at least once a night until 13 mnths. BUT, until at least 6 mths, they're up typically every 2-3 hrs but ds1 was up every 1 1/2 hrs. I think you're talking out some good ideas: letting dh step in and take over so you can sleep, maybe letting go of all the "ideas" out there so you can just reconnect & feel what she needs and do what You think is best. I HAVE to let JR cry sometimes. I'm not a cio mom but sometimes he just needs to scream. He has a bad temper and it's better for us both if he just gets it out. Hang in there, you're doing an awesome job. Just a note, I'm a light sleeper, I sleep with an air purifier in the room so I can't hear every little noise. That said, he's in the swing or in bed with me so I don't have to worry so much about him rolling over or getting stuck or anything.

loveneverfails:

JR had a fussier day today. His bottom 2 teeth are SO close! 3 oldest were with dad overnight and JR was SO happy to see them when we woke from nap. I hadn't realized how much he missed them! He actually yelled at me when I took him in the house instead of staying out with them. I'm so glad my kids love him so much.

#23 of 294 Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Jess, thanks for remembering!! My knee is *finally* back to normal, so I got on the elliptical last night for half an hour. It makes me annoyed, though. I'd rather run. I think I might do power walking on the treadmill so that my joints aren't screwed but I can go faster. I think your plan sounds like more fun though.

P+H: Yeah, I am owed a nice day out after all of this nonsense. I am going slightly nutty. But yes.. school. I school!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#24 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz.Furtado View Post
Hey all!

I feel kinda out of the loop but it seems like i ahrdly ever have time to pop in here these days...how is everyone? And the babes?

Just wondering where all of your LO's are with milestones. I know every baby is different and they will get to each of them in their own time, I just keep reading things about how other 5-6 month olds are sitting up on their own and rolling over a lot- Max is not doing those things really at all! He HATES tummy time. I try to make sure he does it a few times a day since it'll only last for a couple of minutes at most, get down onf loor with him and play with him and with toys to try to distract him from the fact that he's on his tummy...I've used the boppy to take some of the pressure off his tummy to see if that's what's making him mad, EVERYTHING. We bw and doother things like stand him up on our laps and such so he has really aweome neck control but I'm just concerned he isn't going to be able to strengthen up his upper arms if he isn't getting enough tummy time. Someone (Sry! I forget who it was!) told me in a post I made about this before that since "tummy time" is mostly a western idea and that all babies get there eventually regardless, but I guess I'm still nervous about it!

Also, we started giving him a bit of cereal (I was going to start with fruit but a bunch of peope told me to start with cereal- no idea why I listened to them) and was giving him a little bit about once a day. He became so constipated that he was screaming the most awful screams every time he had to poo. I felt so bad. Needless to say I'm not giving him any more cereal. Have you guys introduced solids yet or are you waiting? To be honest I originally wanted to wait and didn't...Since we stopped the cereal he does seem to be fine with EBF so I'm just going to stick with my original gut feeling of waiting. If you HAVE started solids, what was your babes first food and how did he/she react to it? Just curious! If not, what do you think you'll start with?

Thanks, ladies!
Liz--I think I responded to your other thread, but DD has been on solids for about 3 weeks now (she's 5 months). At 4 months, it was clear that she was not satisfied on my breastmilk alone, so we decided to introduce a little food to her to see if that made a difference. It did! She loves to eat and is still nursing like a champ, and she's a much happier babe with a full belly.

As soon as she turned 4 months, we tried rice cereal, which she hated. We tried again a few days later, and she still hated it. A few days later, we tried oatmeal cereal--she hated it, too! All of the cereal was mixed with breastmilk, but she still was not interested. After about a week, I took a look at a banana that I had on the counter and decided to try a bit. She LOVED it! Since the banana, she has eaten and loved carrots, sweet potatoes, prunes, peas, and apples. I introduce a new food every three days. I make my own purees in a Beaba babyfood maker that I received as a gift. DD eats while sitting in her highchair and opens her mouth wide to receive every bite. It is so cute how excited she gets about eating! Since I don't give her very much (probably no more than 2oz a day spread out over two feedings), she *always* fusses and cries when the spoon stops coming her way. I have to immediately nurse her after solids or else she has a complete meltdown. My girl just wants to eat and eat and eat!

In terms of milestones, she can roll over from front to back, but *hates* tummy time. Once she rolls over to her belly, she's proud of herself for about 5 seconds, and then after that she does the arched back/fish move while grunting in frustration. I try to put her arms under her body to see if she will push up on them, but she always moves them to her sides, which, of course, makes things difficult for her because then she can't move. So I don't see crawling anytime in the near future. She's got good head and neck control and can sit up when propped (like in her highchair). She can't sit unassisted, though. Poor thing just falls right over. She is also a big-time babbler and carries on long conversations with us and with herself. She has no teeth, and it doesn't really seem like any are coming anytime soon. We go to the doc on Thursday, so we'll get a height and weight check. At her last appt, she was in the 50% percentile for both. I have a feeling that in terms of milestones, she is probably right in the middle of normal for her age.
#25 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 01:05 AM

Poor Kelsey is sick!! My oldest caught a cold after only a week of preschool and now Kelsey has it too. It's a miracle that DH and I are still well. Poor baby is soooooo miserable, she can't breathe and is just a wreck. Last night she was up every hour until about 1 am, then she slept till about 4 and then up again for about an hour and back to sleep until 8. She got some decent naps in today, but was a wreck again tonight at bedtime. It took me nearly 2 hours to get her down, she kept crying out, even though her eyes were closed and she was asleep! I finally gave her a dose of tylenol (her first) and she's been out ever since, close to 2 hours now. Poor thing has been sleeping pretty much exclusively in her bouncy seat and we've had to torture her with the snot sucker a few times. I ordered a nosefrida from Amazon that will get here on Tuesday. As disgusting as it looks, all the reviews make it sound awesome so hopefully it will work to get the snot out.

Lack of sleep/baby not sleeping/cosleeping - Jess, it is not you who is doing anything wrong, it is just the way S is. My first was a lot like S and yes, it was absolutely miserable, but it does end eventually and you will survive. Take naps, sleep in on the weekends and don't feel guilty. Do what you need to do to survive. Kelsey's sleeping has gone to crap lately too, even before she got sick. I'm lucky to get a 3 hour stretch, two 3 hour stretches in one night and I feel like a new woman. Usually the later it gets into the night, the more often she wakes. We're also still struggling with weaning from the swaddle which makes things even harder, as I feel like I'm swaddling and unswaddling her all night long.
On Saturday I was so tired, the second I stopped doing anything I could feel it in my bones, the pure exhaustion. I was driving to BJs and the grocery store and had the distinct thought that I shouldn't be driving cuz I was way too tired. Kept forgetting things in the store, just a mess. Luckily I got to sleep in this morning after last night's super crappy sleep, so I'm a bit more on my game today.
This time around I find that I can only cosleep if I've been asleep already. I can't go from wide awake to cosleeping - the lack of being able to move around and get comfy, all the noises and movements the baby makes, I just can't fall asleep. With DD1 I was forced into cosleeping, she wouldn't sleep any other way and I just had to get used to it, but never enjoyed it. It's not too bad this time, as long as I get at least a couple of hours in my own bed. Last night after we figured out it was going to be a really rough night I made DH sleep in Kelsey's room and I slept with her in ours, I just wanted to sleep in my own bed, yk?

Solids - We'll wait until 6 months, but I think Kelsey is ready now and I'm itching to start. I'm holding back cause we're going on vacation in 2 weeks, so I don't want to start and then stop and then start back up again, nor do I wish to do solids while we're traveling. Also my SIL from Florida will be here when she turns 6 months and I think it'd be cool for her to be here for that "first" since she lives so far away.

Milestones - Kelsey can roll back to front and does it almost constantly. She has rolled from front to back a couple of times, but rarely ever does it. She's starting to get better with the sitting unassisted, she can hold it for up to 30 seconds but then just flops over.

AFM, today I fed my freezer - turned 20 lbs of chicken into 20 lbs of marinated chicken. Tomorrow I've got to make 2 full size lasagnas (for feeding guests) and 2 mini lasagnas (big enough for just us). And I've still got like 1/2 a bushel of apples in my fridge that I need to turn into applesauce......

Well, going to bed now, I don't expect to get much sleep tonight.....

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#26 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
I'm lucky to get a 3 hour stretch, two 3 hour stretches in one night and I feel like a new woman. Usually the later it gets into the night, the more often she wakes. We're also still struggling with weaning from the swaddle which makes things even harder, as I feel like I'm swaddling and unswaddling her all night long.

This time around I find that I can only cosleep if I've been asleep already. I can't go from wide awake to cosleeping - the lack of being able to move around and get comfy, all the noises and movements the baby makes, I just can't fall asleep.
First, I'm so sorry she's sick. I hope she feels better super fast.
About your post-this is us. I finally got him to sleep unswaddled but I do keep a blanket I made with him and he snuggles it but it was a good week or so of the swaddle, unswaddle and he kept getting out of the miracle blanket so I tried a bigger blanket that he got out of so I just decided he was done. I think him being in the swing a lot helps.

I also can't go to sleep cosleeping. Like you, once I'm asleep, I can bring him in bed and sleep no problem but I need that first sleep on my own to get into that deep sleep. I try to go to sleep right after he's woken to sleep or I just wake him and nurse and put him back in the swing and I go to sleep so I can, Hopefully, get a good stretch.

#27 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 AM

Sara- J wouldn't take ANY paci and I took a chance and bought these at a local store. He loves it because it has a handle and he chews on all of it, not just suck on the paci part. I like it because it's free of all the crap and just plain and basic.

his head is looking better..I still feel like a bad mom for not noticing it sooner :/ not even knowing how it happened

We spent the better half of today in bed a really lazy day...
he nursed pretty much all day, the thing about J is he gets so distracted. It drives me batty! on and off and on and off and he turns his head and then wants to suck on my arm and I question if he really thinks something is coming out?
I am so tired of the on and off deal though

TTC #3

#28 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
...the thing about J is he gets so distracted. It drives me batty! on and off and on and off and he turns his head and then wants to suck on my arm and I question if he really thinks something is coming out?
You know, I am beginning to think J and Maya were seperated at birth - though I am pretty sure I would have noticed if ANOTHER one had come out of me. Seriously, though, they sound so much alike. Maya has been doing this too lately, and it drives me bonkers. Sofia used to do it too, now that I am thinking about it. I guess I got spoiled with Ellen, who was all business and would complete a nursing in 10 minutes flat. And since she was my largest child, I am pretty sure she was getting enough.

In other news, I know I have been saying five children would be nice, and I think having a little boy would be nice. But a 44 year old "child" in my house was NOT what I had in mind.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#29 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
You know, I am beginning to think J and Maya were seperated at birth - though I am pretty sure I would have noticed if ANOTHER one had come out of me. Seriously, though, they sound so much alike. Maya has been doing this too lately, and it drives me bonkers. Sofia used to do it too, now that I am thinking about it. I guess I got spoiled with Ellen, who was all business and would complete a nursing in 10 minutes flat. And since she was my largest child, I am pretty sure she was getting enough.

In other news, I know I have been saying five children would be nice, and I think having a little boy would be nice. But a 44 year old "child" in my house was NOT what I had in mind.
I sometimes think he isn't mine either.....LOL..it must be that bright red hair that throws me off
Campbell LOVED nursing and would be all business too, but jennings stops and babbles or burps and then will search around, latch and suck and then 5 seconds later off and babbling again, looking around the room! drives me crazy. he kept turning his head the other direction tonight and sucking on my arm...SERIOUSLY BOY?? I have a hicki(sp?) on my arm now

TTC #3

#30 of 294 Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
ARGH!!
Jess, just a quick note because i can hear how you're struggling. I was there a month and a half ago. The 2 things ghat have helped me the most are
1- T naps better now, so I can nap with him. We still have nights like yours, but if I can sleep during the day, I don't turn Into a hysterical mess.
2- puttin him on a mattress on the floor. This way when he wakes up, I can lay next to him and rest until he falls back asleep or just stay there with him.
Will S take a pacifier?
Also, T went through one of his worst phases right before his 2 teeth came in. we never saw them until they broke through.

Momma to born April 18, 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page