First words - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you count as your baby's first word?

Is it a word that you say and he/she tries to mimic you by repeating it, but doesn't say it correctly?

Is it a word that you say and he/she does mimic you and repeats it perfectly?

Is it a word he/she says randomly in the babble and you recognize a word in there?

Is it a word he/she says when recognizing something? (you walk into the room and baby says "Mama!")

I'm very curious to see your answers!

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#2 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM

I personally considered it a word when he said it and it meant something, not necessarily saying it correctly. My DS's first word was "mama" and he knew what it meant. If he said something while babbling, or repeating after me, but didn't know the meaning behind it I didn't really count it. JMO!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#3 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I consider it their first use of some specific word or attempt at a word to mean some specific thing and truly communicate. So "na-na" when wanting to nurse would count for me, but copying something wouldn't.
#4 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Any consistent sound used in context is a "word," imo.

For example, DD says "duck-duck-duck" while babbling, but doesn't say it re. ducks. We count "banana" as a word though, as she only says "a-nana" while eating bananas. (Nope, can't trick her into saying it by telling her avocado is banana., unfortunately!)

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#5 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM

I always counted the first word as the word they say with meaning. I never count dada or mum because those really are just 'sounds' (they happen to be handy sounds but are really no different than baba and gaga lol) they are repeating.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#6 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM
tzs

mine repeats but really the only and first word was/is "dickie" which is the name of the dog. i kind of had a feeling it would be since i'm always yelling it. she also says "uh oh!" alot and in context but that's just a developmental thing that they do (like "mama...dada...") it's really cute though.
dh swears she was looking out the door at him doing yardwork and said "i see you" but i dunno. she talks in "sentences" alot that are easily interpreted into english however you want.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#7 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Yep, word in context here.

DD's first word was "puppy!" while looking at the dogs. I guess I know where I stand in the pecking order .

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#8 of 9 Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree, it's the first word used in the proper context.

My DD's first word was hot at about 10mo. She pointed to my morning coffee and said, "hot".

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#9 of 9 Old 09-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfrost View Post
Is it a word he/she says when recognizing something? (you walk into the room and baby says "Mama!")
This. My daughter had babbled "mamama" and "dadada" first, but her first word was when she pointed at the cat and said "CAT!"

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page