When could you read with your baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only book Sam seemed to enjoy so far was: "You Can Eat a Rainbow," but I think it was just the bright colors. I read to him when I nurse him before his bedtime. I like the Frog and Toad books or Dr. Suess. He doesn't look at the pictures or anything, it's just my voice.

I'm getting The Read Aloud Handbook from the library. Thanks for the rec!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 PM

I tried reading from birth on with DS but he only started being interested last summer - so at about 2.5. With DD it was a bit earlier. 2 and a few months. But definitely not before 2. (Years, not months.)
#33 of 45 Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 PM

DD loves those pet-the-animal-fur books. She's had them since she was about 7 months, and these days, at almost 1, she delicately turns the pages, pulls the fur, makes the animal sounds, and follows the words with her finger and babbles. I love it! She gets that words are something, and she's making up her own babble story.

We've always read to her, but I guess we started trying to sit her up and follow along when she was about 3-4 months old. At fist she'd have patience for a page, then slowly was able to follow along a little longer. She still flips back to the front cover, though, so we rarely cover more tan a couple of pages. But it's fun just to watch her handle the book and interpret the pictures and words. I'm hoping she'll be a ravenous reader, like her Daddy and me.

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#34 of 45 Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Wow, this has been a great discussion. It's really neat to hear how different each baby is with respect to reading and books. I'm looking forward to checking out the Read-Aloud Handbook and some of the recommended board books. And SilverFish, I also have a collection of children's books from when my sister and I were young that I absolutely treasure, in a physical sense. I'm eager for DD to start hearing those wonderful stories, but there is no way she's getting her hands (or mouth) on those books for quite some time!
#35 of 45 Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 PM
tzs

not to hijack but i've been dying to have sandra boynton explained to me.
i just don't get it....am i missing something?????

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#36 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
not to hijack but i've been dying to have sandra boynton explained to me.
i just don't get it....am i missing something?????

What don't you get? a particular book?

She mostly does opposites, rhyming, labels in a funny poem singsong way. My DS thinks they are funny when read with voices, ie weak and Strong.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#37 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM

We started reading to DS before he was born. He put up with it just fine as a newborn, but went through a phase (about 10 months to 16 months, maybe?) where he didn't want us to read to him. But he got over that.

Now at 3 he loves it again. He still likes board books, some Dr. Seuss, and has even started getting into the Winnie-the-Pooh chapter books, the A.A. Milne originals.

We didn't get into Boynton at first, but then we were given Boynton's Moo, Baa, La La La for Christmas one year, and now he thinks it's funny. We checked out Blue Hat, Green Hat from the library, and now he goes around saying "Oops" all over the place.

We did a lot of Eric Carle when he was smaller, he loves all four of the Bear books, and "From Head to Toe". At about 20 months he could do all of those things.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#38 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 02:57 PM

Whoops, just realized i got my threads confused.

His faves up to this point have been Cleo the Cat and Put me in the zoo. But we got this weekend several Sandra Boyntons, the Urban Babies Wear Black series and the World Snacks series from a friend. And a few single books, including a beautifully illustrated ABC book by Charley Harper and our first Richard Scarry.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#39 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Sandra Boynton--better rapped than read. Reminds me of Jazz Chants for English-language learners. I always do it in a kind of jazz-chanty way. She never misses a beat. That's why we like her. You just can't do that with some of the poorly written kids' books. I like Pajama Time, personally. It's very jazzy. "Jamma-jamma jamma-jamma P! J!" Barnyard Dance and But Not the Hippopotamus are also funny ones.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#40 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 PM

wow i think i was really lucky with DD. i started since birth and she would sit on my lap and stare at the pics read at least 2-3 times a day before crawling. now that she is crawling 1-2 times a day. sometimes they are long sessions (10 minutes) or super short (1 minute). nowadays she gets super excited and plops on my lap and will let me read to her when i tell her it's story time. recently she prefers to grab the book out of my hands (she is almost 11 mo now) and turn the pages herself, point at things and pretend to read to me. it's cute, so i let her do it most of the time unless she is sticking the book in her mouth. took two months to convince her not to bend the pages. she's more gentle now. she's normally a rough baby during play, so i'm kinda relieved. our books are imported (they're all in L2) so they're super pricey.. bending, ripping, or biting not tolerated! haha
#41 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM

My kids have all been regularly read to since the day they were born. You gotta understand, though, that we are HUGE book people in this house. Seriously, we're up to our EARS in books almost all the time, and DH and I regularly drag huge piles of new ones home. So I think that my kids have grown up with the idea that books are the center of family life, in a way-- it's just our household culture. And it's the same way at my mom's house, too, which is the other place they spent a lot of time when they were very young.

I didn't read "baby" books really, though. My kids weren't interested in the pictures as young infants. They mostly just wanted to be near me, and to hear my voice. I started reading out loud to DD1 when she was a newborn, because I wanted to read for myself, but I felt guilty about the hours of silent time we spent together-- felt like I should be talking to her. So i started reading my own books out loud. Her first book, then, was a really good biography of Catherine the Great.

I think we started with the board books around the time she started crawling, and pointing at things to ask what they were called-- I looked for books with clear, simple photographs that she could point to.

But the Golden Age for reading out loud, with all three kids, started at about two-and-a-half years old. That's when they started getting REALLY into reading, and having their devoted favorites read over and over and over.

I don't worry too much about books being torn-- I keep the really important books out of reach when I can't be there to supervise, but otherwise they've had unrestricted access to piles of books right from the start. We have SO MANY, and I think a few torn books are a small price to pay for a child who thinks of books as good friends. DD1 did go through a short paper-tearing phase as a young toddler, though, and during that stage I restricted her to sturdy board books, and to magazines I didn't mind having torn. Then we slowly brought back the other books, as she moved past that phase.

FWIW, DD1 (6) was an early reader, too, and is now able to read nearly everything her interest leads her to. DD2 shows signs of being the same. DS has absolutely no interested in letters or words or the mechanics of print yet, but he loves him some books, yes he does.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#42 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Her first book, then, was a really good biography of Catherine the Great.
Hahaha. V and DH are both really enjoying The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which is my current "family read-aloud book."

DH and I are both big read-alouders, and I remember my mom reading aloud to us, even when I was in high school. The four of us ranged from 16 (me) down to 6 at that time, and she'd read us anything from Junie B. Jones books, to The Pearl, to The 5 Little Peppers.

I still love to both read aloud to people, and to be read to. It's just so comforting!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#43 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinYay View Post
I still love to both read aloud to people, and to be read to. It's just so comforting!
Ditto. When DD gets older I'm definitely going to volunteer to read at the library story hours. I, too, will read her adult material, like a magazine article about fungus and how to grow mushrooms at home. She laughs and laughs, at all the "wrong" moments. It's fantastic.

I was a voracious reader as a little girl, but somehow I completely missed this Sandra Boynton thing. I checked out her webpage and found it kind of overwhelming. Richard Scarry and Ezra Jack Keats were definitely my favorites and I'm looking forward to introducing them to Bea.
#44 of 45 Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
We started reading to J when she was a few days old, some baby books, some older children's books and some adult books.

When she was really little I would read in a soothing (I hope ) rhythmic type of tone regardless of what I was reading. I felt it was more about hearing my voice than anything else at that stage.

Now she's 4 months old and I read with more expression. I've found that laying on the bed with her is good way to read. sometimes with a toy to play with, sometimes not, depending on her mood. I also read to her when she's lying on the lounge/floor with a toy.

She is very much in the rip and chew everything phase so she doesn't get to hold her paper books but she has three cloth/crinkle books which she loves to chew and we read her the words sometimes although the ones she has are just labeled pictures not stories.

For people looking for book recs, we like anything by Mem Fox (quite a few are published as board books). Diary of a Baby Wombat by Jackie French is my current favourite and she's also just released Baby Wombat's Week. I also like Josephine Wants to Dance by Jackie French. All the JF books are published in both board and hardcover versions.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#45 of 45 Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My DS was close to 3yo before he liked books (I tried many, many times). My DD is just starting to enjoy short books now at 13mo. I too find it silly to read to a baby that just wants to grab and eat the book. Once my kids are old enough to enjoy reading and follow along I start reading to them..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page