Zantac Problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today is Sunday. On Tuesday my daughter was prescribed zantac for reflux symptoms. She was not spitting up but had sme of the other symptoms. After taking zantac I noticed the symptoms more regularly and obviously. Gurgling in her throat that I had noticed before, more coughing, more agitation. I'm worried that the Zantac created more reflux/problems than solve it.
Its been less than a week though nad I know it can take a while to start working. I have a doctor's appt on Tuesday to check on the medicine.

I haven't taken the first part of today's dosage but I wanted to know your opinion. The office isn't open Sundays. I've also quit eating dairy and caffeine. But that started on Monday as well. What would you do in this situation? Have you heard of this occuring before?

Googling shows that it may have happened but nothing solid enough for me to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 PM

We had the same problems with Zantac. I HATE it. It made ds1 way worse. I've tried it on both my boys and had negative experiences. We switched to Prevacid and that worked for my 2 middle kids. We're "trying" Zegerid with ds2 but he's a pill trying to get it in him. Trust your instincts. I thought I was ridiculous for thinking the Zantac made him worse but it did.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We're also on Zantac and I'm hearing gurgling as well. My doctor said it might not be the best drug but that we have to try it in order to get my insurance to pay for the more expensive drugs. We've been on it for about a week or so and while I haven't noticed things to be so horrible, I also haven't noticed a ton of improvement, except for the fact that he's not throwing up old cottage cheese anymore. We just still have the fussiness and the wheezing.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Same thing for my DD -- Zantac made it worse. Prevacid made it better.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)

User Tag List