Good advice for my mom while visiting her DIL and new baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You've had a lot of great suggestions already and your mom sounds so great just for ASKING how to help. I would only reemphasize that "holding the baby" is not that helpful. My inlaws live in our same town and when our baby was born they would come park it for the day at our house EVERY DAY and would constantly say "let me hold the baby while you do x, y, z for yourself". Or they would just want to visit all day so I felt obligated to entertain them and make conversation when I really just wanted to sit quietly with my baby. In hindsight, I really should have spoken up.

On second thought, maybe my advice is to talk to your SIL and encourage her to be direct and honest when your mom asks to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM

I know it's really silly, but I loved my baby smelling like baby. It was hard to have other people hold her and then their perfume would be all I could smell on her. So maybe just skip perfume or body splash for this trip.

Also, compliments were so very appreciated!
1. I loved hearing that I was doing a great job with her
2. I loved talking about how beautiful she was

Lastily, I wanted to talk about my labor and birth a lot because it was such a life-changing event for me. I think it's nice to express interest in how the birth went.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Did she have the baby? I want to hear how it's all going!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

User Tag List