My DD is 11 1/2 months old and allergic to dairy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, my DD will be 12months in a couple of weeks and she is allergic to dairy. It started with cottage cheese (her Lactation Consultant recommended it since she had texture issues with food). Hives anywhere it touched her skin and an ER visit later ok no more cottage cheese. Few days later she ate yogurt like she always did and loved for lunch and same thing again. So we stopped giving her anything dairy for a couple months. Couple days ago I gave her a couple bites of my gilato and same thing again.

So my question is, what should I do for milk once she's 12 months? My plan was to mix BM and cows milk slowly until her system adjusts but now I'm stumped. We see her Dr. shortly after her birthday but we have different opinions on things. Wanted to ask other moms as well. Thanks

Mom of DD 10/09 who
#2 of 13 Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Can't she keep having breastmilk?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 13 Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 PM

There's no need for a baby to have any milk other than yours.
#4 of 13 Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM

BM until at least 2 would be your best option.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 13 Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM

we had the same thing happen to us!!! Dd was about 10months and had a lick of our ice cream, anywhere her saliva had touched was in hives...er trip later and nothing was wrong but a dairy sensitivity. She isn't truly allergic to dairy but does react internally and externally to it...we avoided until 2 ( she nursed until then anyways) and we would give her some soy some almond milk. Some people have great luck with goats milk which I would have used had we had any accesaible
#6 of 13 Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Noone NEEDs cows milk. You can just nurse. Use goat milk or cheese. Consider the nutrients you want and where else you can get them (protein - meat, legumes, nuts calcium - broccoli comes to mind, Vitamin D - sunshine)...

Tjej
#7 of 13 Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

I would keep nursing her, especially if she has food sensitivities. No other milk can compare to Mama's.

If you do need to wean for some reason, I would concentrate on giving her a VERY well-balanced solids diet, with plenty of protien/calcium/fat/fruits/veggies/whole grains and you could give her Coconut Milk. When my milk dried up from pregnancy around 19/20 months old I gave DS coconut milk (the So Delicious brand in the carton), but he was eating TONS of solids by then. If your daughter is not eating a lot of solids I would consider a formula of some kind.

P.S. we're in VA too! it sounds like your ped not be very breastfeeding knowledgable/friendly.. if you are anywhere near the Richmond area, we have a GREAT ped who works out of a couple offices in Ashland and West End/Richmond

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#8 of 13 Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 AM

My DD couldnt have dairy either.
I nursed her till 15 months. She refused to nurse when I got pregnant. I guess it tasted strange. It's funny because she knew something was up before I did- then the morning sickness hit a few days after!
Anyway, she still wanted to suck, but WOULD NOT nurse.
I made batches of almond milk twice a week and by then she had a complete diet. so I gave her rice milk too. Really at 15 months she didnt need her drink to be her complete diet.
WHen I had my next baby, DD turned 2 a few days later. I wound up giving her pumped breastmilk mixed with rice milk till she was 2&1/2.
#9 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM

Rice milk, oat milk, almond milk, soy milk, hemp milk...etc. Dairy is the most common food allergen, so this isn't uncommon or anything. My 6-year-old has never had cow's milk in her life and she's just fine.

I would like to suggest that you may need to stop eating dairy if your daughter's allergic to it and you are nursing. Some of that protein is passing through to her in your breastmilk and might be subtly affecting her in negative ways - causing eczema, making her tummy hurt, whatever. Most women stop eating a certain food when their nursing baby is allergic to it. Additionally, your baby seems to have a pretty severe allergy, so you really need to stop giving her dairy products!!! No cheese, no milk, no yogurt. Allergies are to proteins, so it doesn't matter if it's in cheese, milk or yogurt. It will all make her sick.
#10 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Were still nursing and plan to for a while. I work so when I pump it takes me ALL day to produce 5oz. which is what she drinks right now while I am away. We nurse atleast 3 or 4 times a day when I'm time. The rest of the time she's eating solids. I just worry that she's not getting enough calcium. (first time mom ) We live in Newport News so pediatricians supportive of AP I've yet to find. Luckily we have a great Lactation Nurse that I usually talk to about these things instead of her ped. Thanks again and I will try the great suggestions.

Mom of DD 10/09 who
#11 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINLOVE View Post
Hello, my DD will be 12months in a couple of weeks and she is allergic to dairy. It started with cottage cheese (her Lactation Consultant recommended it since she had texture issues with food). Hives anywhere it touched her skin and an ER visit later ok no more cottage cheese. Few days later she ate yogurt like she always did and loved for lunch and same thing again. So we stopped giving her anything dairy for a couple months. Couple days ago I gave her a couple bites of my gilato and same thing again.

So my question is, what should I do for milk once she's 12 months? My plan was to mix BM and cows milk slowly until her system adjusts but now I'm stumped. We see her Dr. shortly after her birthday but we have different opinions on things. Wanted to ask other moms as well. Thanks
Humans do NOT need cow milk. It is only a substitute for human milk (and a very poor one at that). I generally tell my clients that it is 100% unnecessary past two years (the minimum normal age of weaning for nursing babies). For my clients who aren't nursing between ages 1 and 2, I tell them that they can use cow's milk or another human milk alternative (goat milk, soy, almond, rice, whatever) but that they don't have to so long as baby is growing well, and that they usually don't need as much as is recommended.

My suggestion would be to continue nursing until at least age two. Even if they're nursing only 2 or 3 times a day they're still getting everything they need.

Humans are not cows. So don't worry about the dairy, your baby DOES NOT need it (unless, as I said above, baby can't get human milk and signs indicate that baby does, indeed, need a human milk alternative, in which case there are other alternatives, goat milk tending to be the most ideal choice).

FWIW, if your doctor completely disagrees with this (or family, friends, etc.), do keep in mind that we have been taught our whole lives that humans need "milk" but that when you really think about it, what is wrong that we are the ONLY mammals that NEEDS another mammal's milk but we don't NEED our own milk and turn out "just fine" without our own? It wasn't until DS was almost a year and I started wondering when I should give him cow milk (even though I planned to nurse for 2+ years) that someone made that exact same point. That's when my brain slowly started gearing away from what I've been taught my entire life, and started really understanding that we're NOT baby cows but baby humans instead and that there is a HUGE difference.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#12 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINLOVE View Post
Thanks everyone. Were still nursing and plan to for a while. I work so when I pump it takes me ALL day to produce 5oz. which is what she drinks right now while I am away. We nurse atleast 3 or 4 times a day when I'm time. The rest of the time she's eating solids. I just worry that she's not getting enough calcium. (first time mom ) We live in Newport News so pediatricians supportive of AP I've yet to find. Luckily we have a great Lactation Nurse that I usually talk to about these things instead of her ped. Thanks again and I will try the great suggestions.
As babies get older and they nurse less all the "good stuff" in your milk (vitamins, antibodies, etc.) actually increases so baby gets the same amount with nursing twice a day as they do with nursing six times a day.

As for calcium, there's plenty of other ways to get enough calcium...until very recently in human history we survived on human milk and then eventually weaned to just solids (including RAW veggies, not cooked like most are these days which decreases the nutrients). Until recently, humans didn't drink or rely on the milk from another mammal. If calcium were such a problem that we had to rely on the milk of another mammal then we wouldn't be alive today! We're told for so long that we NEED cow milk for calcium and that it's the only source, so I understand that it takes some time to get used to, it was a while before I stopped worrying about it myself even after I *knew* it wasn't logical thinking because it was so ingrained in me since childhood.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#13 of 13 Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd probably consider continuing pumping for awhile. Even if you only make one bottle that is great nutrition and it will keep up your supply. I'd probably give coconut milk for the rest. A lot of pumping moms end up weaning earlier than they meant to by stopping pumping. Some bodies can adjust but it is safer to assume you won't.

I pumped for DS until 18m. DD is 14m and I still pump and have some frozen bm for the rest. She still has about 12 oz when I am away.

Dairy at 18m is often really different for dairy at 12m. You might find that she outgrows her sensitivity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page