Does anyone's baby REALLy do this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone's baby really just "drift off to sleep?" I mean, not falling asleep nursing, not falling asleep bouncing/in a sling, not falling asleep because they're in a stroller or car seat, but just seem tired, and lie down and go to sleep? I think I need to know because sometimes I get frustrated that DD always has to be "put to sleep" (mainly rocked/bounced). Then the other day I thought that maybe this is just how it is with babies... not something that is unusual about my kid. I think that would make me have a little more compassion and patience with mine. Of course if yours does just drift off, feel free to reply too... just don't make me too jealous

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Yup. I have one. We also have a unicorn and a leprechaun :

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM

Mine never have but a friend of mine's daughter apparently does. She just goes up to her parents and says "I'm tired, I'm going to bed" and DOES! FWIW though, she's just turned 3 and they keep LATE hours in that house. Its not unusual for the kids to go to bed till 9:30/10/11pm.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 AM

I don't personally know of anyone under 3 who goes to sleep without needing help.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 AM

haha, yep, i actually do have one. it's not a given that it will happen, but i'd say, if there aren't any teething/illness issues, i can swaddle her, nurse her a bit, and if she's not fully asleep, put her down in a quiet room with no distractions and she'll fall asleep. she did it tonight and last night actually, but this is following about 2 months of hardcore teething pains and a bad cold where i was basically keeping her asleep by lying down with my boob in her mouth. she did it before the teething started too, on a fairly regular basis.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 AM

My babe bounced himself to sleep for his morning nap today.. weirdest thing! We borrowed a jumper from the inlaws (it's the fisher price horse, I think). He was quietly bouncing for 15 minutes, so I went ahead and made breakfast.. still bouncing.. I checked emails... still bouncing. Then I peeked over to say "hi" and realized he was asleep! His head was resting on the "saddle", eyes closed, yet every 20 seconds or so he'd bounce himself. Too cute. Amazingly he stayed asleep as I transferred him upstairs. Otherwise, he always needs help.
pictures:
http://oliverquinn.shutterfly.com/77#77

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 AM

OMG, Oliver's Mama, that's awesome! My dd (who is now 4) never fell asleep by herself, I needed to rock, bounce, wear, push, drive, pat, nurse, swaddle, swing, whatever. And really, she still NEEDS her bedtime routine to fall asleep. If she falls asleep by herself now, I know it's because she is getting sick!
I do remember my little brother and sister falling asleep in the highchair into their food, though!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM

I would never have believed it until I had my daughter. I am still quite amazed at her ability to fall asleep when she is tired. She usually prefers her pacifier and she doesn't do it all the time. But when she does, it's like magic.

Mama to three

Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 AM

I had that happen once to me, and my mom had it happen to her once, and my baby will be a year old this month. He has always had to nurse to sleep, rock to sleep, ride in the car to sleep take a walk etc. I don't really know any babies that drift off on a regular basis! lol
Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
This just made my night. Thanks

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM

I have one of those and lately, I have to wear him so that he'll get a decent nap. He's been waking up a few moments after I lay him down (after nursing, rocking, bouncing or swinging him to sleep). I'm worried he'll become dependent on remaining in arms for his naps, I hope its a phase.... it sounds like we're not alone.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 AM

Mine has fallen asleep on his play mat more than once--he kicked the daylights out of his octopus and then slowly drifts off. He's pretty decent at getting to sleep, which is good because his frequent waking makes up for it.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM

I really don't want to jinx myself but DD2 has been putting herself to sleep lately and it's such a weird thing for me! DD1 always fought sleep so this is totally new and I keep wondering if I'll be fortunate enough for it to keep going. For the past week and a half we've been doing her bedtime routine, and putting her in bed swaddled but still awake (but sleepy) and she's been falling asleep.......I can't believe it and KNOCK ON WOOD because it's been so nice. DD2 also seems to be a much more laid back baby then DD1 who is a spirited girl so I really think it depends on the individual LO.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 AM
DBZ

When my youngest was an infant I could nurse her while she was awake and then lay her in her bassinet where she would drift off to sleep and would sleep until I woke her up 4-6 hours later. One night I was uber tired and decided not to wake her. That's when I learned that she could sleep 8 hours. I'm not lying. I was deeply disturbed and talking about this with a nurse who is a former midwife, her pedi, friends, etc. You might even dig up an old post here about it LOL. Everyone thought I was nuts to be so concerned. It turned out that my DD had a stroke in utero. I'm pretty sure her sleep habits were connected.

My oldest quit needing to be tucked in when she was about 12.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 AM

My 2 yo did this reliably from very early on. Now? No. In fact, he is harder to get to sleep than my 1 yo these days.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 AM

Both of mine did pretty regularly, particularly my son. He's always needed lots and lots of sleep and has always been happy to go to sleep. I watched them both for sleepiness signals and would do a quick swaddle and put them down immediately and they'd usually just drift off after a few yawns. Not always: and then I'd rock them to sleep.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 AM

DD used to fall asleep while listening to a story (laying on the floor beside DP) or just laying beside me when she was a newborn...that only lasted about 3 months or so though. Now she nurses to sleep really easily most nights. Naps are bit more challenging.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 AM

Yes! my third dd, bless her little heart, lol.

My first two definitely a no. Both nursed to sleep almost always. This one actually prefers being left alone when sleepy, me being around distracts and irritates her i noticed. She puts two fingers in her mouth, the other hand over her eyes and off she goes. I always say i deserve it after nursing to sleep for 6 years straight!

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 AM

I hate to admit this, I will probably get horribly flamed but all three of mine could nurse, look sleepy, be put down with their eyes open and fall asleep. More often than not. My youngest had to be put to bed between 5-6pm or he would just be a mess until you put him to bed too. Up until he was 3 or 4 he would come up to us and say "can I go to bed?" in that amazing way that only a kiddo that age with big eyes and a bald head can.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 AM

DS will just drift off to sleep now. So long as he gets tucked in by someone. But he didn't start doing that until a couple of months ago.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 AM

One out of three of my kids did this. It was awesome. Still, it didn't quite make up for my boys, who wouldn't sleep for anything!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 AM

I had two little insomniacs, and then, gloriously, had a natural sleeper. It's WEIRD. I nurse her, get her to 'sleepy', put her in her bed, give her a blanket, and then.. walk away. It feels vaguely neglectful, though really, if I push it and try to nurse her/rock her to sleep she usually gets worked up and then is a mess.

My older girls? They still fight sleep, wake up multiple times a night, and want to be touched all night long.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
My babe bounced himself to sleep for his morning nap today.. weirdest thing! We borrowed a jumper from the inlaws (it's the fisher price horse, I think). He was quietly bouncing for 15 minutes, so I went ahead and made breakfast.. still bouncing.. I checked emails... still bouncing. Then I peeked over to say "hi" and realized he was asleep! His head was resting on the "saddle", eyes closed, yet every 20 seconds or so he'd bounce himself. Too cute. Amazingly he stayed asleep as I transferred him upstairs. Otherwise, he always needs help.
pictures:
http://oliverquinn.shutterfly.com/77#77
So cute!!!

Mine has just started to drift off to sleep in the last month on occasion....and by that I mean unlatching when he's nursing in bed and rolling away from me to finish falling asleep. Honestly, I'm just happy when he falls asleep easily with help...and he's a pretty good sleeper all things considered! Most babies need help falling asleep in some form or another, and if I'm ever feeling grumbly about it, I just think to myself how lucky my baby is to have a mom who can and will do that for him whenever he needs it.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 AM

My 6 week old has fallen asleep 2 times on his own. That's gotta be at least a 1% success rate!! Every other time I've been able to get him to sleep with nursing, rocking, shushing, ect.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM

When ds2 was about 2mths old, he started sucking his thumb. I would nurse him, put him down on the bed, he'd roll over and put his thumb in his mouth and go to sleep. It was INSANE! I was so happy.

It didn't last. Now he can't sleep without the boob in his mouth thru the nite!! lol He's now almost 1 year old.

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I only have one- but I def. need to put him to sleep every time. But I think that is just how it is with babies. I think it is the parent's job to actually teach the baby how to go to sleep. This is why I think it is wrong to expect a little baby to "self soothe" themselves to sleep- I think we have to teach them how. That is why lullabies have been around forever! We use lullabies a lot. So the trick is having the patience to put the baby to sleep, knowing that this is the learning stage. I thin kit is like establishing good habits- teaching them now and then when they are older they can drift off to sleep!
But disclaimer- this is just my own experience with my one babe.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
Here too.

I think that both are completely normal, there's such a wide variation in normal on this topic.

FWIW, Mine never had the chance because they fell asleep nursing as babies....and there was NO WAY I was waking them up to lay them down. Now, I suppose I could have just gently put them down and seen what happened, but I was always so glad they were asleep and I'd get a little free time that I waited 10 or so min and then put them down to be sure they were in a deep sleep and didn't wake....so maybe party of it is manufactured and if I would have put a freshly asleep newborn down they would have drifted back on their own, I dunno.

They both wanted company to fall asleep for the first few years, but now at 6-1/2 and 4 they go to sleep on their own and sleep all night, and those years of intensity are all but a happy memory. Well, a memory anyway.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM

My almost-10-month-old puts herself to sleep for naps, but not bedtime.

She plays in her crib for a few minutes, then just goes to sleep.

It's a new thing, and it's as though she's perfected cold fusion; it's that awesome.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine does and actually as a whole she needs to fall asleep "alone" if not she gets overly aggiated and ends up crying and frustrated.. We have to watch and learn when its time there is a point where shes is fed and calm and all that but still awake if we time it right I can lay her down and she just drifts right to sleep. If I insist on countinuing to hold her shes gets mad if I try to lay her down before shes is ready she quickly wakes crying... Its rare we can put her down fast asleep... My first was just like this. Come to think of it DH and I are the same way.. You can come keep us company hold and caress us but when were ready to really sleep GET BACK! we need space..

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Mine never have but a friend of mine's daughter apparently does. She just goes up to her parents and says "I'm tired, I'm going to bed" and DOES! FWIW though, she's just turned 3 and they keep LATE hours in that house. Its not unusual for the kids to go to bed till 9:30/10/11pm.
With my first by 2 she would basically just grab her blanket climb into my lap nurse then kiss me and go upstairs choose a bed and put herself to sleep. We did have a bedtime but she seemed to naturally do it around the 7-8pm hour.. Shes did similiar for naps.
I give birth to ridiclously easy sleepers... I'll admit this..

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

User Tag List