Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life With a Baby (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/)
-   -   Christmas gift ideas for a 9 month old? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/1268833-christmas-gift-ideas-9-month-old.html)

busymama77 10-05-2010 05:48 PM

This year, each DS will get two gifts from me and two gifts from DH. Grandparents can do what they want - I'm no longer providing a list! (long story)
DS will be 9 months at Christmas and I sort of have an idea of what I'd like to get him now, but that could all change over the next two months. Ideas? I like the idea of wooden blocks or even cloth blocks.
My ODS, I have TONS of ideas 'cause he can tell me what he wants.

jenfl 10-05-2010 06:17 PM

My DS is starting to get a kick out of play silks, and those will last for a long time. And they're fun and easy to make!

If you're into Little People, starting a collection of the figures (we don't get the playsets, just the figures, and then use them with the wooden dollhouse or blocks). They can be chewed on now, put into and out of boxes later, thrown around, and -- finally -- played with!

cloudbutterfly 10-06-2010 06:01 AM

Wooden blocks are a great idea! My plan is to get my son a set of blocks for his birthday and for Christmas every year, with a switch to Lego sets when the time comes for that. I really like the Haba blocks and Uncle Goose alphabet blocks we've gotten him, and so does he. My son, at ten months, is no longer particularly taken with his cloth blocks, but that could just be him.

Other than blocks (and board books), my favorite long-term toys I've gotten him are mostly musical instruments, good ones sized for children rather than just toys when possible. This drum is great--very good quality, very good sound, and irresistible to both baby and parents--and this glockenspiel has a nice sound to it as well (we all love playing that one, too). He also loves a set of baby percussion instruments--castanet (blue and red plastic...he can't play it yet but loves opening and closing it over and over), maraca, sleigh bells and baby-safe tambourine.

My son is also getting into simple wooden shape puzzles now, too. Kid O makes some cool ones. A stacker or nesting/stacking cups are great, too. Oh, and stuffed animals are big now, especially puppets! I love the Folkmanis puppets.

Oliver's Mama 10-06-2010 10:31 AM

ds2 will by 9 months as well, and I've been itching to get this for him.. the radio flyer push wagon. Way over my budget, but we haven't really bought any baby gear or toys for him so far, so I think we may splurge. It seems to be high-quality, and has a mechanism on the wheels so they don't slip out from new walkers, and I figure he can use it for years to come to tote around toys, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Cl.../dp/B002KKCNHQ

Our gift-giving plan is we give each boy one gift from us, then their stockings are filled with a few small gifts from Santa. small gifts for the 9 month old might be some new board books, maybe a stacking toy, and I like the idea of playsilks now.

snoopy5386 10-06-2010 12:30 PM

I'd love to know too, I have a 4.5 yo DD and now the baby who will be 8 months at christmas. DD1 is the 1st grandchild in the family so we literally have EVERYTHING in the universe already.....

Magistra 10-06-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
I'd love to know too, I have a 4.5 yo DD and now the baby who will be 8 months at christmas. DD1 is the 1st grandchild in the family so we literally have EVERYTHING in the universe already.....
We have a similar issue with our sons. Our older son was the first on both sides and, even though he's now 7, we kept nearly everything. I know that the baby doesn't know the difference between new toys and hand-me-downs, but we also don't want all the pictures we have to suggest that he never got anything of his own.

busymama77 10-06-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
ds2 will by 9 months as well, and I've been itching to get this for him.. the radio flyer push wagon. Way over my budget, but we haven't really bought any baby gear or toys for him so far, so I think we may splurge. It seems to be high-quality, and has a mechanism on the wheels so they don't slip out from new walkers, and I figure he can use it for years to come to tote around toys, etc.

Our gift-giving plan is we give each boy one gift from us, then their stockings are filled with a few small gifts from Santa. small gifts for the 9 month old might be some new board books, maybe a stacking toy, and I like the idea of playsilks now.
Very cool! DS1 got one of those as a baby gift from the company that my DH worked for at the time. It has his name painted on the side boards. Very cute and very sturdy. We'll be using it for DS2 when he's ready to start walking!

busymama77 10-06-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
EXACTLY!! DS1 got the motherload for his first Christmas. I seriously think he got close to 20 gifts. 5 from us and the rest from friends and family members. It was insane and WAY over done. I don't want to get that crazy with DS2 - I mean, not even close. But I would like for him to have some cool new things that will last a while and that he'll be interested in for a good year or two.

mumkimum 10-06-2010 08:20 PM

Our older dd got classic alphabet blocks like these her first xmas, they're really nice (among the. . . like 5 sets of blocks she got we kept these & the huge building set).

Anyway, my thoughts for our 9 mo old are: personalized wooden spoon (seen some cool etsy ones), *maybe* a kathe kruse doll (I can't decide whether I'm being impulsive about that), and a variety of lotion, baby balm, teething tabs that we're set to be out of around then I think. And something handmade but I haven't decided what that is yet. Oh, and DD1 wants to pick out a teddy bear for her sis for the holidays.

Dena 10-06-2010 08:31 PM

We have a 6 year old, a soon to be 3 year old, and twins who will be 8 months at Christmas. Because of the older two, we already have a TON of baby toys as well. And I know I can count on my BIL and SIL to get them something obnoxious and noisy.

One thing the twins don't have, and that doesn't get passed down, is soft stuffed animals and dolls. I have gotten each girl a Raggedy Ann doll for their first Christmas, so I will do that for the babies this year. I am thinking Santa might bring them each a lambskin, and then their sisters want to give them each a Gund comfy cozy. They are favorites of the older two. That with a couple of small things in their stockings (maybe playsilks or a special shirt or hat) should do it.

We love love love blocks around here too. We have one set of unit blocks that is probably the no. 1 played with toy in the house. We are thinking our three year old will probably get more blocks either for her birthday or Christmas.

jillmamma 10-06-2010 09:02 PM

I am making a cloth 'busy book' for DD who will be 11 months at Christmas.
Posted via Mobile Device

lach 10-06-2010 09:02 PM

We got each child a Carolle doll for their first Christmas. DD was 5 months and DS 10 months. The dolls became instant hits with both and are still among their very favorite toys. Babies like other babies, and they were both fascinated by the dolls. Both of them would sit there for ages opening and shutting their eyes! It was hilarious to watch.

zinemama 10-06-2010 09:14 PM

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't put much effort into gifts for a 9mo. My kid at that age would have been delighted with a cardboard box.

mumkimum 10-06-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
We got each child a Carolle doll for their first Christmas. DD was 5 months and DS 10 months. The dolls became instant hits with both and are still among their very favorite toys. Babies like other babies, and they were both fascinated by the dolls. Both of them would sit there for ages opening and shutting their eyes! It was hilarious to watch.
Sounds very entertaining!

JudiAU 10-06-2010 09:18 PM

Some sort of nesting toy or cups, this is a perfect one http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...romspielstabil ; uncle goose alphabet blocks; books; a shape sorter of some sort (really like the new wonderworld posting house), a ball track like this fancy haba one http://www.amazon.com/Haba-Ball-Trac.../dp/B0002HYFF2 , fancy haba blocks, a soft ball for inside, a pull toy or walker, a wooden truck

oompa.com has a nice categorization

Second kids - ha. Mine got lots of fancy haba blocks as an infant gift because I couldn't think of anything else, and I figured they had long time play value

Pumpkin_Pie 10-06-2010 09:22 PM

I saw this thread from the "New Threads" page and wanted to chime in. My son was 9 months on his first Christmas and I bought him a busy box similar to this one. I found it on E-bay, so didn't pay nearly as much as that one is though. It was a HUGE hit with him, and he played with it all.day.long. Now at 3.5, he still plays with it occasionally, and it has gotten heavy use for the past three years. It was definitely one of the best toys I have bought him.

Nicole730 10-07-2010 01:21 PM

What about a few good children's CDs? We love having Alphabutt - Kimya Dawson, in the car. It's soothing for both kids, but fun too if we just want to sing along.

philomom 10-07-2010 02:09 PM

How about a family membership to the zoo, kid's museum or a Baby Bug subscription? You know, stuff that the whole family can enjoy and lasts all year.

busymama77 10-07-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
How about a family membership to the zoo, kid's museum or a Baby Bug subscription? You know, stuff that the whole family can enjoy and lasts all year.
That's what I'm going to ask for from the grandparents. Something that the whole family can enjoy and to help reduce the toy clutter in our house!!

OneWithTwo 10-07-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
I found this at a consignment store for $5 brand new! you should check around

My son will be 10 months at Christmas. DD1 has and had everything, so all her baby stuff has been passed down.
I want to get him maybe some wood cars or something of the like. Maybe some new rattles. $ is very tight this year, so it's going to be hard