when do you start really dressing your children? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
as a spin off on another thread

when you do start dressing your children in "real" clothes. as in no more sleepers and onesies.

my dd2 is almost 9m and for the most part i haven't started. for me, once they start walking i start with stuff like dresses, shoes, etc. currently dd2 wears onesies when warm and one piece rompers when cold (dd doesn't do well with footed stuff)

dd1 was born in the south in august, so it was too hot for much besides onesies. she stopped crawling and was a total walker at 9m, so maybe i just had a small window to deal with "real" clothes being an option.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#2 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for me it is really what is practical/comfortable for the child.

my lo is walking, so footed things are reserved for bedtime, otherwise they are too slippery.

And onsies are good until the child wants to potty learn--it is not something a potty learning child can do and undo by themselves, so we don't do onsies from about 15 months on...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#3 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 PM

On lazy days we both stay in jammies, but I feel a lot more productive if we both get dressed.

Around 7-8 months, I think, is when I really started dressing her in "outfits."

We'll also stick with onesies for quite some time; she's a skiiiiiiny baby, and I'd hate to freeze her rumpus all winter long, as it's impossible to keep pants up where they belong.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#4 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 PM

I don't know if it was because DS was born around the winter holidays, or because he is a first baby and grandbaby on both sides . . .but I have put him in outfits almost from the get-go. I really don't like snapping sleepers, I would rather to onesies and pants or shirt and pants/shorts, so that is what we've done. I only am doing shoes really now as it is getting colder and his feet are on the ground more.

I think it depends on you and what you are doing; we are out of the house alot, so more excuse to "dress" I guess. home days we may all stay in jammies all day. But we don't have many of those.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM

I started around 10 months. But for the first 10 months we lived in Costa Rica & then it was summer here so anything more than onesies didn't make sense most of the time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
MJB

My baby was born in July and has always worn dresses. She doesn't have shoes yet but I will get her some soft-soled boots for winter.
My boys were born in the winter and they wore blue jeans and warm boots from the start. I just think it's cute.
I am, going to take a break from dresses from the time she starts trying to crawl until she walks, but will put her in jeans/pants/sweaters/etc. I'm not a huge fan of keeping babies in pajamas all day. And for that matter, some of her PJs are pants and a shirt and not one-pieces.
#7 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Once she is walking more than being carried probably.

Shirts and dresses riding up all the time drive me mad and I don't really like waistbands on babies (could be projecting here as I don't like tight waistbands myself ).

J does sometimes wear just a T-shirt and nappy if it's really hot and she has a cute pair of denim overalls but I put a onesie under them. A couple of times she has worn long pants for sun protection but again, with a onesie.

We used to do the footed pj's at night but for the last couple of months it's been too hot so she just wears the short ones at night as well as during the day now.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM

hhmmm... we don't really do outfits, per se. Baby wears a cloth diaper and longies shorties, and a shirt....

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#9 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM

we do onesies in the summer and long sleeve onesies and soft pants in the winter.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#10 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We do some "outfits" now at 6 months. I think the cooler weather is more conducive to it. I agree with a PP, however, that the onesie is going to stick around until DD's not in arms or a carseat so much. "Baby clothing" like rompers and onesies are the only things that DD can wear that will actually stay put and not get all bunched up and weird in her carseat.
#11 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 12:08 AM

I started regular outfits full time at 9mo, just before my DD started walking.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#12 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 AM

DS is only 5 months, but I usually dress him in "normal" clothes like a t-shirt or button down and pants or shorts. When it's really hot then a onesie, or even just a diaper. I guess I tend to think of onesies as under-shirts, and use them as such.
#13 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 AM

with kid 1, a huge number of onesies and other snap-in-the-crotch gear was handed down to me, and it took me all of a month or two to realize that i hated them. so i started dressing him in tops and bottoms at that point.

by the time kid 2 was born, i had weeded through all the hand-me-downs and gotten rid of all the crotch-snapping stuff, so i never had to put him in a onesie.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#14 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 02:44 AM

I've always put lots of different kinds of outfits on DD since she was born. dresses, one piece sunsuits, shorts/skirts/pants and shirts. So I guess those are the more "regular" clothes but we also dress her in one piece footed or non footed sleepers and onesies. I think baby clothes are cute and it depends on what we are doing. If we are having a pajama day then that's what we wear, lol

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#15 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 02:51 AM

interesting thread! I was wondering the same thing.
My baby girl is almost 4months and she is mostly in onesies..cute little onesies of all sorts of patterns. However, if we go to visit someone I usually throw a cute little dress of some sort on her. We received so many cute dresses that I feel I need to use them before she grows out of them or the weather changes. Although she is mostly in onesies, she always has a matching bow to go with it..lol

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#16 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 03:13 AM

Cecilia, 6 months, wears a mixture of clothes. I love her in dresses, so she wears a lot of those, with just her cloth diaper underneath. She often wears onesies for the ease and coolness of them (we live in the desert). Sometimes she wears full outfits, though, as well. She generally sleeps in a onesie and her swaddle blanket.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#17 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Well, we did a lot of dresses after she got out of the newborn stage because they are cute and easy for diaper changes, but we have had to stop now because she is crawling and they just get caught. I have one or two real shirts, but mostly she wears either a onesie with pants or one piece outfits. I figure onesies are just so much easier than regular shirts until they are really walking well and I'll probably do a lot of dresses again when she is walking well anyway

Honestly, to me anything that isn't PJs or just a onesie feels like really dressing her

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#18 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Once they grow out of the 12m size of sleepers then I start buying "real" pants and shirts which is still like cotton pants.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 PM

When they can walk. lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#20 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 PM

4 months...pretty much once they are less "smooshy" and have more arms and legs.
DS was born in May, so all summer we did romper onesy's with collars, the REALLY cute ones (think polo brand), come fall jeans and shirts with a onesy as an undershirt since thats how i think of them.

I like babies who are dressed like little people, thats just me, if i would not wear it or buy it for my DH then i don't put my baby/kid in it.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#21 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Pretty much since she was born. We only did gowns and sleepers during the day for the first few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#22 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 PM

I'll admit it. I dressing up my kids. I enjoy buying the clothes for them to dress up in, but it's not for everyday. But to dress up to me is an outfit that just simply matches. Carter's outfits, Gymboree, etc., They are so stinkin' cute and hard to pass up especially when I find most of my stuff for them at consignment sales.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#23 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM

From the moment of birth. when dd was born she wore a long sleeve onsie I had picked out for her....none of that ugly awful hospital crap. She went home in pants and a onesie and soft booties. Ds went home in a similar outfit.

When we are at home both of my kids will be in underwear/diaper and any random piece of clothing that covers them. usually ds runs around in old sweats and no shirt, and dd wears onesies.

I start with the potty around 10 months so the onesies are definitely out once we really get into it hard core at a year (or whenever the walking is pretty steady). I HATE crotch-snapping crap. HAte it.

Whenever I take my kids out they are dressed. Only time they even wear a one piece outfit out of the house would be for a grocery run or something like that. Usually dd wears jeans and a onesie/shirt, or a dress. Ds always wore jeans and a shirt or some such outfit from day one.

sleepers.....are for sleeping. After the first couple weeks I don't do them during the day, unless we are having a lazy pajama day at home.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#24 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 AM

i started using "real" outfits pretty frequently at about 3 months? i think around 5 months a definite bedtime emerged, so we started changing into pjs at that point... before 5 months, she generally wore comfy pj-type clothes around the house and slept in whatever she was wearing during the day, but wore an outfit if we went out. so yeah, after 5 months we really got into day time clothes that look like "real" clothes. i like t-shirts and pants (either wool longies or jeans/sweatpants/leggings)... we don't really do many dresses since they are pretty impractical for a non-walking baby. of course, over the summer we mostly did just diaper and tshirt or onesie.

for me, it was partly that dd was premature and was and is quite petite. i felt a bit self-conscious about it at first, and noticed how people generally treated her a bit differently when she was dressed in pants and a shirt compared to a footed sleeper or something else very obviously "baby clothes." now we're just in the habit of wearing pjs at night and outfits during the day, even though no one would mistake her for a newborn any more!

i also don't like to dress her in things i wouldn't wear, so everything is very comfy (i hate tight waistbands or fussy outfits) and NOT pink we wear a lot of navy, gray, green and brown.
#25 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 PM

I've been doing onesies and soft pants now that DD is somewhat mobile (wiggling and crawling backwards). I'll shift to regular shirts once she walks, but right now a regular shirt would be riding up a lot and I don't want her to be cold.

I've never done jeans or khakis or "real" pants because DD is chubby and with her cloth diaper, all the "real" pants seem way too tight...but I also prefer yoga pants to jeans myself!

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#26 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 PM

The day Ds came home from the hospital was the day I began to dress him in none lounge clothing. He also was dressed in a plain white onsie as an undergarment, unless he wore a sleeveless outfit. I generally dressed Ds in the morning, maybe changed his clothes once during the day and put him into pajamas or a print onsie at bedtime.

Onsies and lounge pants were reserved for lazy days.

I don't like the little man/little woman look.

+ + =
#27 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
we do onesies in the summer and long sleeve onesies and soft pants in the winter.
This. Pretty much anything that was comfortable. I am a big fan of onesies and used them as long as possible (until he was potty-learning, pretty much). I don't like shirts that come untucked and his poor backside or belly is hanging out. I don't like a draft around my middle, so I don't think DS does either.
Comfortable cotton shorts in summer, and athletic pants with an elastic waist in the winter. I think jeans and other waist-banded pants look uncomfortable, even now that he is 3. I really don't like "little man" clothes for an infant (or toddler); I prefer that he was dressed like an infant (for as long as possible), and super comfy clothes after that.

Collared shirts and waistbands are for church and picture-day.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#28 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 PM

This is what we do too. Comfort before style, although comfy can obviously be very cute. I think jeans and even overalls (if they have metal buckles) look horribly uncomfortable for a baby or toddler. It bothers me that clothing for little girls is cut so close to the body, because I don't see why only boys get comfy clothes that allow them to move.

My girls are two and three now, and they wear pretty much what they have worn since birth: cotton t-shirts and soft cotton pants with stretch waists. The three-year-old likes dresses, too, so she wears cotton knit ones over bike shorts in the summer and over soft pants or leggings in winter. I'm not forcing this or anything--she owns a few pairs of jeans and some fancier woven cotton dresses (not stretchy), but really doesn't like to wear them. Gymboree and Old Navy have lots of styles that are super cute and comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
This. Pretty much anything that was comfortable. I am a big fan of onesies and used them as long as possible (until he was potty-learning, pretty much). I don't like shirts that come untucked and his poor backside or belly is hanging out. I don't like a draft around my middle, so I don't think DS does either.
Comfortable cotton shorts in summer, and athletic pants with an elastic waist in the winter. I think jeans and other waist-banded pants look uncomfortable, even now that he is 3. I really don't like "little man" clothes for an infant (or toddler); I prefer that he was dressed like an infant (for as long as possible), and super comfy clothes after that.

Collared shirts and waistbands are for church and picture-day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page