Yet another sleep post - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8-month-old has never slept for longer than an hour or two at a time. During the day, he rarely naps more than 20-45 minutes two, maybe three, times. At night, he has maybe one two-hour block and than many blocks that are an hour or less. Sometimes he'll let me nurse him lying down, but sometimes he really only settles if I sit up and pull him cross cradle.

We co-sleep for the most part, occasionally putting him down for a nap or to start off the night in his crib, but the length of time he sleeps does not seem affected by where he is--except that I can occasionally get a 60-90 minute nap from him if he sleeps on the nursing pillow on my lap. He's a big boy, over 20 pounds, and he's eating some solids, though not a ton.

I've taken myself off soy and dairy and nuts and all traces of caffeine to see if maybe one or more of them are contributing to gas/indigestion/food sensitivity, but it's probably too soon to see a difference (except maybe from the caffeine--I'd really love to return to my morning decaf Americano!).

What am I missing? I have "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" somewhere around here and will be referring to that. My older son was horrible at falling asleep, but by now was waking only once or so a night, so I don't have any tricks for our current issues. My partner and I are both just barely hanging on and something needs to change!
#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have much advice because I am in the same place with my 8 month old. Unfortunately it seems like all 3 of my kids have struggled during this period and so I attribute it to teeth, milestones and separation anxiety. The only way I hang in there is by reminding myself that this, too, shall pass--my 4 and 2 year olds are walking proof of that. Dh and I trade off sleeping in on the weekends, and if it is really bad I occasionally take a nap when he gets home from work. I hope you find something that works for you guys and helps with the sleep issues!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#3 of 3 Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I know he's a big kid, but have you thought about trying a swaddle? Sometimes it can help in settling kids who wake frequently.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page