9 month old averse to solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It shouldn't be a surprise, since dd was not into solids until about 10 months or so...

BUT, ds (9.5 months old) is *averse* to any solids that aren't "dry" like puffed rice. The texture of all other foods simply disgust him. He will occasionally take a bite of a banana that I'm holding, but refuses to hold it.

I usually offer whatever we're eating, either on his highchair tray, or if he won't touch it, I'll feed it to him. He's usually good for a bite and then shudders and shakes and gags and acts like I've poisoned him.

I'm not really worried about his nutrition at the moment (he's fine on weight and breastfeeds a lot), but am more concerned about his future with food. His older sister is beyond picky (now 5.5 yrs old) and I really don't want two like her...

Any suggestions?

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#2 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 AM

a few points I've gleaned in my reading (my dd2 has an actual oral aversion) that might be useful to you:

If he likes puffed rice, how about small pieces of rice cake? Can he pick up and dip something? (I honestly don't remember if that's something 9-mo-olds do, it's been 12 years since I had one, dd2 is only 3 mos) Young toddlers looooove to dip.

How about letting him play with his food? Like, finger painting with food on his highchair tray?

Flavored healthy drinks in small amounts? (though, I'd be hesitant with this one due to his age) Or smoothies?

When trying to get him to eat, end each session on a positive note. If he's fussing about the food you're trying to give him, end with a success, like him eating a bite of a preferred food. And make the sessions short. And try to be really relaxed, because if he senses lots of tension from you, he may start to have negative food-emotion associations.

All that said, however, really don't worry about it. You aren't even close to a concerning point unless he's not taking enough orally to sustain and grow.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#3 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks SO much for the suggestions!!!

#4 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Thought Id throw this one out there.

My son is dairy/soy allergic with EXTREME reflux. This causes a texture issue with him. He wouldnt try baby food until he was 10 months old. He was drinking massive amounts of formula (I had to give up breastfeeding due to health reasons) and the doctor was worried about water intoxication. She had us not give him any formula until after the baby food attempts. She said under no circumstances could we give him more than 45 ounces a day and by not giving him so much hed start eating. It took us a week and he finally started testing things.
Hes now 11 months and 2 weeks and eats 1-2 jars of babyfood a day...
So maybe you can try offering the food first, not letting him fill up on liquids.
And not all babies that are picky end up as picky 5 year olds.
Good luck mama
#5 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you try mixing it with BM? Someone suggested it to me and I'm going to try it...once I get around to working up the nerve to expose DD's super sensitive system to solids again.

Also, I went to a wholistic allergist yesterday who told me that R's super lack of interest in food probably means that her digestive track is immature and that it takes up to a year for some babies to be ready.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#6 of 6 Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
Could you try mixing it with BM? Someone suggested it to me and I'm going to try it...once I get around to working up the nerve to expose DD's super sensitive system to solids again.

Also, I went to a wholistic allergist yesterday who told me that R's super lack of interest in food probably means that her digestive track is immature and that it takes up to a year for some babies to be ready.
That's interesting, I really don't think dd's digestive tract was at all ready until she was 12 months but I felt like she *should* eat and pushed it probably more than I needed to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page