How does anyone take a shower? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Until around 7-8 months, DS was perfectly happy to sit in the mesh sling chair while I showered (it sat in the end of the shower) Once he could sit well, I just sat him on the floor of the shower, and he plays and splashes there while I shower.

thankfully he loves the water and hasn't ever tried to crawl out of the shower.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#32 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM

When my DS was probably 0-2 months I'd nurse him to sleep in my bed, then shower. After that I'd leave him in the crib or under his play gym, sometimes in the swing. If I'm planning on bathing him too, I strip him down to a diaper and put him in his bouncy seat on the floor of the bathroom. I fold a towel in half and put it in the seat with the extra on the floor. I shower, then take him in with me, wash him, then put him back in the bouncy on top of the towel, then wrap the towel over him so he stays warm. Then I can dry off before drying him off.

I feel comfortable taking him in the shower with me, but I hadn't mastered getting us both out and dry so the bouncer trick helps with that.
#33 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Honestly, most of the time I just bring her into the shower with me and she sits in a little mesh chair. However, if I want to take a shower by myself, I throw a couple of towels down on the bathroom floor and let her play naked while Im showering. My baby is only a little older than yours and she's starting to be mobile, so she loves being on her belly. Also, my shower door is a mirror, so that entertains her pretty well.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#34 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM

I have a partner who works a lot, too. Before my kids are big enough to sit on their own in the shower with me, I usually put them in a bouncer seat right outside the shower curtain. While I shower, I sing and coo and chat and peek my face out every now and then. I'd do that once or twice a week for general hair and body washing, and then do baths with my little one for fun/cleanliness maintenance.

Now that I have two kids under 3, group baths are the ideal solution to getting us all clean in a mostly risk-free fashion. I just wish we had one of those deep Japanese baths! Heh.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#35 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put DS in a bouncy seat on the bathroom floor or I put him in the baby shower seat in the shower with me. That said, I didn't take NEARLY enough showers...I foresee that being a problem again this time. Though I would like to get a waterproof sling to help with it this time. I won't be able to do a good, thorough scrubbing, but it'll at least allow me to rinse off pretty good, I hope!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#36 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She takes a shower with me. I have a towel all ready with an open diaper on the floor. When we're done I dry her off and diaper her first, then I blot my hair really fast and wrap a towel around myself, pick baby up and head on to the bedroom to get us both lotioned up and dressed. I've been doing this for about 8 months now It's easier if dh is home to take her when we're done, but he doesn't need to be.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#37 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.t View Post
Ok, now that so many people have responded I guess I'll give more info:

1. DS is crawling, so I can't put him on the bathroom floor because there are too many things he can bang his head on (he will crawl straight into things) like the pedestal sink, toilet, etc. so that's not an option.

2. He sleeps on our bed, and I can't really leave him for long enough to take a shower because if he wakes up, he starts crawling on the bed.

3. I could try bringing him in there with me, but I guess I would have to put him in his baby tub, and he would have to be cool with laying there the whole time. The bumbo is no good anymore, he arches his back and tries to get out of it, which is just too scary on tile. Maybe the rope tub thing would work.

4. I don't have an exersaucer. I could try the playpen...I guess I could just move it closer to the bathroom and leave the door open. My bathroom is SMALL so I can't fit anything in there like a swing.

I guess my biggest fear is not him crying, but him moving/falling/bumping his head, particularly in the bathroom because it's just hard surfaces everywhere! He's really super independent and active, so the idea of him sitting nicely does not apply!

I wish I had a tub! Then he would come in there and take a bath with me, but we only have a large shower.
Sounds like until he is big enough to escape from it the playpen would work great. Give him some good toys and have a nice shower!
#38 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Nobody else uses the stroller? I couldn't fit a playpen OR a high chair in my bathroom, and my kid would go nuts if he was in the hall & couldn't see me. If I pop him in the stroller and give him a couple of toys, and do an occasional peek-a-boo around the shower curtain, I can get at least a three minute shower ...
#39 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM

My various tactics so far have been:

Wait till DH can hold him. This may meaning getting up earlier before he goes to work so I can at least have a shower if nothing else for the day - or having him work at home a few days a week to grab a shower then, etc.

and

Bring him in with me. Either in my water sling or I have laid him down in the bath or I just simply hold him with one arm and wash one side of my body - swap arms and wash the other! lmao This is currently what we are doing because he actually just really LOVES the water!!! I would never recommend getting a bumbo - but actually, if I were that desperate, I would for the shower purpose. As it happens, he can sit up mostly by himself now anyhow ...I just sacrafice a towel or two in the shower every morning so he has something softer to sit on/lean against.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#40 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

In your case, I'd totally do the playpen with toys in it. Hopefully once he can escape he'll be able to manage in a baby-proofed bathroom with you

For DD, I started her in the bouncer on the floor of the bathroom (I switched to the bigger bathroom, but it's still tiny!), then let her hang out with pillows all around her, on the floor, eventually out in the bedroom (her bedroom, that is, the guest room with her clothes, dipes, and toys). I'm pretty sure I did resort to some PBS kids for a while there, but then she was okay just hanging out while I sang. She loved to come and hand me my towel when I got out
#41 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 PM

dd still cries when not being held so I wait till my husband comes home at 1am. when i took care of my siblings I always waited til they were asleep and took some of the quickest showers ever!
#42 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Could you put a jumping seat in the doorway of the bathroom? That might work for 5 minutes!

I put baby in the bouncy seat in the bathroom or I put him down for his nap and bring a baby monitor in the bathroom with me.

Could you get bedrails for your bed so that baby can safely nap without you?

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#43 of 45 Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 AM

I have to have my evening shower. It's a matter of preserving order and sanity with me. I am (at the moment, as husband is overseas) a functional single parent, so it's difficult. Usually I'll put my 8 week old daughter in the bouncy chair or the car seat and put the seat there in the bathroom with me while I shower. Sometimes I'll even bring her into the shower for the last few minutes so I can give her a quick bath-- kiling two birds with one stone that way.

Either way, she doesn't like it and she screams and cries most nights. Occasionally I can convince my mom to come over and play with the baby in the living room while I shower, but usually it's just the two of us and almost always there are tears. I hate it, but what can you do? Sometimes I'll wait till she goes down to bed for the night, but usually I can't wait that long. Like I said-- I NEED my evening shower. I've learned to take it really, really fast though. Like a 5-minute shower.

caffix.gif
#44 of 45 Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.t View Post
4. I don't have an exersaucer. I could try the playpen...I guess I could just move it closer to the bathroom and leave the door open. My bathroom is SMALL so I can't fit anything in there like a swing.
This seems like the easiest option to me.

caffix.gif
#45 of 45 Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 AM

I made myself a sling out of jersey mesh, and brought my son in the shower with me. He liked it so much that, if I try and take a shower without him, he gets very upset! He loved the sling, even after he found out he could crawl, and then walk... and the tear-free shampoo I switched to (just in case any got in his eyes) has done wonders for my hair!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page