How does anyone take a shower? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious, when do you take showers and what do you do with your DC if there is no one else home? My DH is working more lately and I have a hard time waiting for him to be home. I do not feel comfortable leaving my 6 mo DS to take a shower, am I being paranoid?

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 PM

I showered when my lo was sleeping safely in the crib, or I would put the baby in the bouncy seat or saucer in the bathroom with me...sometimes they cried, but usually I could keep them happy playing peek-a-boo with the shower curtain.
#3 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 05:02 PM

I was really lucky when V was still immobile- she was very happy to hang out by herself in the swing, in her cosleeper, in a bouncy- wherever, really. We also showed together a lot before she could sit well- I'd wash myself and do my hair and shave with her in the bouncy seat, then she'd come in with me, in-arms.

We bought a house when she was 6 months, and set up a little alcove off the living room as a 100% baby-proofed playroom, which has been a GODSEND, as she's still happy to play in there by herself while I do baby-unfriendly things. The bathroom is also reasonably baby-proofed, so before she was standing alone and walking, I could shower while she played in there. Once we get a toilet-lock thing, she can play in there again, but for now I usually have her in the tub with me while I shower.

As long as the baby has somewhere safe to be, there is no harm in leaving them for 10 minutes. Yes, sometimes they'll cry, but most often it's just fine.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#4 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 05:13 PM

I put my little guy in his car seat on the bathroom floor. Usually he was sleeping and the sound of the water soothed him.

When he got bigger I stuck him in his Bumbo in the shower with me. He thought it was great fun. Once he was sitting well I put a hand towel in the bottom of the bath and sat him on that (to help with slippage), gave him some bath toys...tah dah, happy baby, clean momma.

You could always set up the good ol' play pen with some safe toys and plug a monitor in you bathroom so you can hear the baby.

I just liked taking a shower with him since it killed two birds with one stone and he thought it was fun....as long as I aimed the shower head toward the wall LOL.

Try a baby and a toddler....that gets more fun.
#5 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 05:20 PM

When DS was really little, he sat in the bouncy chair on the floor of the bathroom. I gave him toys to play with that made noise or music to distract him & showered pretty quickly.
When he outgrew the bouncy chair, I put his tub in the big tub (on the side opposite the shower), gave him toys & a little water, and showered with him in there. I aimed the shower away from him so he didn't get sprayed too much. He got a bath while I showered.
Now, he's outgrown his tub, so we do the same thing but he is seated on a little bath mat on the floor of the regular tub. He loves it. He's always liked playing in water, so that helps!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#6 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM

I sometimes set her infant/toddler bathtub up next to the shower (we have glass doors so I can see through to her) and have her play in there with toys (no water of course! She is in her clothes). Or I put her in the pack n play with some toys.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#7 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM

I took a shower while the baby is sleeping. It is more difficult as the baby gets older and when you have more than one child, but it's still doable. The other option would be to get up early and get a shower but thats not something I do very often b/c I like my sleep.
#8 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Funny...my daughter is almost 4months and I took a shower today for the first time with no one else home to watch her! lol
After she woke up from her nap, I fed her and changed her diaper and immediatly put her in her swing (I put the swing in the bathroom with me). She was happy so I had a feeling it would go good. I occasionally peeked out and I talked to her the whole time. I kept telling her what I was doing (putting shampoo in my hair, rinsing off...). It was a big accomplishment for us both! lol

You can do it! Just give it a try.

My fear was that she would start screaming and I would have to rush out with soap everywhere just to stop her from crying.

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#9 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:04 PM
MJB

I would do the baby bath in the tub while I showered, or a bouncy seat/carseat outside the tub, or baby in my water sling. This time around, my husband works from home so I am just spoiled.
#10 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM

I've done all sorts of things. At 6 months you could use an exersaucer, high chair, or even just put baby on the floor in the bathroom and keep checking to make sure he is okay. I don't tend to take showers while the kids are sleeping, even if it's just 10 minutes, I like to know they are okay. I agree with PP though, wait until you have a baby and a toddler and the toddler does not want to go in the shower with you anymore. Gets a bit tougher.

Mama to three

#11 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:26 PM

With DS1 I just used a bouncy seat in the bathroom until he was sitting up and then a jumper in the bathroom doorway, then a fully childproofed bedroom.

Now DS2 is in the bouncy seat and DS1 doesn't want to be left out so he comes in the bathroom too....it's a little cramped and I occasionally have to reach out of the shower to wipe DS1's butt on the potty

I shower first thing in the morning when everyone's in a good mood and, maybe I'm just lucky, but have never had to deal with much crying. However, I'd still rather they cry in the bathroom with me then try to shower while they're sleeping, for some reason that really stresses me out.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#12 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Early on when Cecilia only slept on me, I showered when my husband was home so he could cuddle her. Or, we would all three shower together. Then she started sleeping in her swing around 2 months old, so I would shower while she slept, or all together. Now I do a mix of showering while she sleeps, showering as a family, and putting her in the Bumbo on the floor of the shower. She thinks that's great fun!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#13 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before my DD was sitting up I would set her in a bouncy seat on the floor in the bathroom. Once she was sitting I would again put her on the floor with some toys. Now at 14mo she usually showers with me and then takes a bath once I'm done (it allows me time to get ready).

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#14 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:44 PM

I have one of those big bucket things - an 18 gallon rope tub - I put baby in once he can sit. The bucket sits at one end of the tub with him in it, and I'm showering at the other end.

Early on, the bucket is empty with a few toys, and later I fill it with some water so he bathes while I shower. We love it.

When the babes are real tiny, they are in bouncy seats in the bathroom.
#15 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM

I took baths, not showers, and babies came in the tub with me. (Well, for everything but washing hair anyway.) Toddlers have private playtime in their rooms - I give them a cup of water and take down some special toys which they only get to play with during private time. I rotate them. Then I close the door (they're within earshot) and take a bath. Or whatever else has to be done; as long as I keep it under about 20 minutes they're good. If they need something they'll call me, otherwise they're usually good to go, as long as I've spent some time with them. (Like if we're just back from a walk, or if we had all done an activity together.)
#16 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Baby tub in the shower or a water sling. Both work well and easy.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#17 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 PM

I would usually get up with DH, since I was going to be up with the baby anyway. I'd nurse baby while DH showered, and then hand the content baby to DH and go take a shower before he headed to work. I've got a really adorable picture of DH in his bathrobe, with a towel around his neck, sitting reading with DS curled up in the crook of his arm ....

(that's before I headed back to work myself. When I went back to work, DH and I were splitting shifts, so I'd get up before baby woke up, shower, nurse baby and then tuck him into our bed with DH. They'd sleep another hour after I left for the bus and then get up).

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#18 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now that so many people have responded I guess I'll give more info:

1. DS is crawling, so I can't put him on the bathroom floor because there are too many things he can bang his head on (he will crawl straight into things) like the pedestal sink, toilet, etc. so that's not an option.

2. He sleeps on our bed, and I can't really leave him for long enough to take a shower because if he wakes up, he starts crawling on the bed.

3. I could try bringing him in there with me, but I guess I would have to put him in his baby tub, and he would have to be cool with laying there the whole time. The bumbo is no good anymore, he arches his back and tries to get out of it, which is just too scary on tile. Maybe the rope tub thing would work.

4. I don't have an exersaucer. I could try the playpen...I guess I could just move it closer to the bathroom and leave the door open. My bathroom is SMALL so I can't fit anything in there like a swing.

I guess my biggest fear is not him crying, but him moving/falling/bumping his head, particularly in the bathroom because it's just hard surfaces everywhere! He's really super independent and active, so the idea of him sitting nicely does not apply!

I wish I had a tub! Then he would come in there and take a bath with me, but we only have a large shower.

#19 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM

I showered when kiddo was sleep or with her in her bouncy seat when she was real little. A little older and I'd set her on the floor with toys. Once she was big enough to hang out in the tub I took her in WITH me.. this was around 14 months maybe, but I wish I had done it a lot sooner. it would have been much easier for both of us.

ETA: I'd just set him up in the playpen. My bathroom is really small too so I understand. He'll be in a safe environment and you can hear him in case something happens.
#20 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.t View Post
Ok, now that so many people have responded I guess I'll give more info:

1. DS is crawling, so I can't put him on the bathroom floor because there are too many things he can bang his head on (he will crawl straight into things) like the pedestal sink, toilet, etc. so that's not an option.

2. He sleeps on our bed, and I can't really leave him for long enough to take a shower because if he wakes up, he starts crawling on the bed.

3. I could try bringing him in there with me, but I guess I would have to put him in his baby tub, and he would have to be cool with laying there the whole time. The bumbo is no good anymore, he arches his back and tries to get out of it, which is just too scary on tile. Maybe the rope tub thing would work.

4. I don't have an exersaucer. I could try the playpen...I guess I could just move it closer to the bathroom and leave the door open. My bathroom is SMALL so I can't fit anything in there like a swing.

I guess my biggest fear is not him crying, but him moving/falling/bumping his head, particularly in the bathroom because it's just hard surfaces everywhere! He's really super independent and active, so the idea of him sitting nicely does not apply!

I wish I had a tub! Then he would come in there and take a bath with me, but we only have a large shower.
Yeah, once DD was mobile and stopped putting up with even short stints in the bouncy seat, I just CAN'T take a shower until DH is home. So I do it late at night or early in the morning. I figure this too is just a phase and soon enough this will become easy once more, while something else becomes hard...

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#21 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I put my son in his playpen outside the bathroom door, where I can hear him and see him by peeking around the shower curtain.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#22 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.t View Post

Is it possible to still bring him in with you? We stayed in a house all summer that only had a small shower, and I still brought DD in with me. I aimed the water to the side so that she wouldn't get it directly in her eyes, and she sat on the shower floor and played with a cup while I washed us both. I had to be a little careful when I rinsed the soap our of my hair and I had to keep it short or she would get tired of it, (saved longer showers and shaving for when DH was home) but it still felt good to get clean.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#23 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm afraid to sit him on the shower floor because he just mastered sitting unsupported and will unexpectedly topple over. I would have to sit him in something that it would be impossible for him to fall out of.

#24 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM

You mentioned a lot of other things you don't have or won't work , but what about the high chair? Do you have one of those? I can't fit most contraptions into our small bathroom, so I just put a few toys on the tray and drag the chair in front of the open bathroom door.

Mama to three

#25 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 11:22 PM

we had a shower sling but now that she sits up she just sits in there and plays with toys. dh baby and i often take showers togeher too
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#26 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

I think the high chair may work, but it probably won't fit in my bathroom because it has kind of a large base. I was going to try the playpen or highchair right outside the bathroom door. I think the playpen will work the best because he'll have a bunch of toys in there. I'll update everyone when I try it!

Thank you mamas, for all the great suggestions!

#27 of 45 Old 10-09-2010, 11:51 PM

I've always been a night-time showerer.. I just can't stand getting into bed feeling dirty, and it saves me the hassle of blowdrying and having frizzy hair
so that solves the problem, since the kids are asleep. Even if dh isn't home, I bring the monitor in the bathroom with me. If I need to shower during the day, I wait til the baby is napping, and the older one gets to watch a tv show.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#28 of 45 Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM

I had a VERY hard time with this when DD1 was a babe. I quickly found that I had panic attacks; despite that she was asleep & safe. It was one of my manifestations of postpartum depression. Not that I am saying this is your situation - but I totally feel for you.
We found a water sling worked wonders when the bouncy seat or exersaucer wasn't working.

Heather: wife to Chris ; mama to Sophia (7/03) ; Juliana (8/07):; and Peter (3/12/10)
#29 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 03:08 AM

She's always been happy to just hang out in the room with me. I use the opportunity to give her naked time on a towel. It's when she gets mobile that I'm going to find tricky.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#30 of 45 Old 10-11-2010, 03:11 AM

If he was awake, I'd sit him outside the shower with toys or put him in a bouncy seat and interact with him while I showered. It worked fine.

Now, as a 17mo, he likes to pull the curtain back, wander in and out of the bathroom, fiddle with the faucet (not the hot/cold though) and get his head wet. He's used to me being in there.

ETA: if he's toppling over, sit him close enough that you can reach and sit him back up, or put pillows or a boppy around him.

ETA: I saw your comments about him crawling...wow moving already! What if you got a big cardboard box and put a bunch of toys or kitchen spoons and measuring cups in it and sat him in it? (or things he doesn't regularly play with). He might be content and contained enough for you to get showered.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page