Who has a rocking chair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm expecting my second. We had purchased a Shermag glider that has been such a pain. We've had to repair it several times and I highly doubt if it'll make it through another child. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Dutailier glider or a good old-fashioned wooden rocking chair. The rocking chair would be much more affordable than the glider and I feel that since it doesn't really have moving parts like a glider that it'll be more durable.

One reservation I have is carpeting: we have wall to wall carpeting and I wonder how well/easily a rocking chair will rock on carpet.

If you have a rocking chair, do you love it? If you have one and don't like it, why? If you have a rocking chair and carpet, please let me know if you find it works well or not so well.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a rocking chair that DH's mom gave us, which she rocked him to sleep in. We had low, berber carpet, and it worked just fine. the arms were just the right height to put the boppy on, and I used a kitchen chair cushion for the seat, since the chair is just wood. i also used a nursing stool for my feet, so my back didn't ache.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 AM

I love my rocking chair. It rocks fine on carpet, wanders but I just scoot it back. I also use a nursing stool. Love Love Love it!

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a rocking chair and carpet.. Overall I love it I need a stool or something though and it needs a much better cushion but I still love it.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM

We had a rocking chair, but I got rid of it. It wandered a LOT and constantly scooting it was disruptive. Plus, it drove the downstairs neighbors nuts.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM

We have a shermag glider/ottoman that I used with dd1, this time around we bought a second hand from a friend upholsterd dutailer glider with ottoman that has a nursing stool pullout. That chair is my god send. It is so comfortable and I adore having a stool for my feet when I need it! I cannot say enough good things about it!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a bentwood rocking chair, shermag glider, and a rocker recliner. (DS loves to be rocked!) Everyone much prefers the shermag. the rocking chair has waaaay to deep a rock, and is hard to get out of.

My dream is the dutalier with the pullout for nursing stool that the pp mentioned. I've tried them in stores, and they are absolutely amazing!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 10-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We don't have one but I love our cheap-o exercise ball.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4plus4 View Post
I love my rocking chair. It rocks fine on carpet, wanders but I just scoot it back. I also use a nursing stool. Love Love Love it!

mines older than my 60 year old father (was my great grandmothers) but still works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
My dream is the dutalier with the pullout for nursing stool that the pp mentioned. I've tried them in stores, and they are absolutely amazing!

also

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 PM
tzs

i HATE hate hate our rocking chair. it's hard, uncomfortable, takes too much effort to rock...basically you can't get comfortable and i would never choose to sit there. when i do it's because it's the only chair in dd's room. if there was even a stool in there i'd choose to sit on it rather than that chair.
i dream of a nice reclining glider with ottoman. i sat in one once during a raging football game on tv and my sleep-fighting newborn just passed out on my chest without even trying! ugh!!!!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 10-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

mines older than my 60 year old father (was my great grandmothers) but still works great!

also
Wow, that's looks cool!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 AM

DH's family got us a shermag glider and i hate it... everytime it goes backwards it does this *clunk* kind of feeling. (Couldn't think of a better way to describe it, haha.) I can't get my daughter to fall asleep because of it. I'm considering selling it so that I can get a rocking chair.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 AM

We have a Shermag glider - got it for DD1 who's now 7yr. Still works great. Sorry.

Heather: wife to Chris ; mama to Sophia (7/03) ; Juliana (8/07):; and Peter (3/12/10)

User Tag List