Baby twitching and jerking in sleep: how long? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there

For how long does a baby twitch and jerk in their sleep? Mine is 5/6 weeks old right now, and it is starting to freak me out. How long can this go on and be considered normal?

I don't know what to think; he jerks his arms, legs, head, etc periodically while sleeping. When did yours grow out of it?

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM

I've noticed this as well in my 8-week old. Dreaming, I guess? She really only does it at night and I notice it because she sleeps right next to me. I'd be curious to see what others say.
#3 of 9 Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM

When my daughter consistently woke herself up by doing this, we started swaddling her for sleep. At 6 months old, she's still swaddled for the same reason; she still startles awake if she's not. I do it too, so I think it could just be part of our wiring.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 PM

I swaddle my 4 week old for naps, he twitches, jerks and his eyes roll about too. It's quite freaky, but normal (i am told).

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#5 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 04:27 PM

yeah, my little guy did this for a couple of months, and it's all about the immature nervous system, according to dr. sears .

in his third month, he did it once or twice, then not after that...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#6 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep...that's why we swaddle. It's the startle reflex. They are born with a rooting reflex and a startling reflex when born. Both take awhile to outgrow. Some earlier than others as you can see from babes being swaddled at 6 months old. Swaddle your babe and it won't bother him ( or you) as much!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#7 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM

We all twitch a bit when we are in REM sleep - ever feel your muscles sort of twitching as you fall asleep, or noticed your mate twitching, or have that falling feeling as you fall asleep? Infants spend a lot more time in REM sleep than we do, and that's also how they enter sleep. I forget when they change - I think after about 8-10 months they start spending increasing amounts of time in deep sleep during which they are more still.
#8 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Neither of my kids have been happy swaddled so I let them sleep on their stomach. Solves the problem. (Yes yes, I know it is evil. I'm ok with it.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#9 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 PM

It COULD be normal, in fact it probably is, but I would reccomend you video record it and show it to your pediatrician.

my ds was doing that at birth and he was called "jittery". He would jerk and twitch, rhythmically in his sleep, and my mom and mil both convinced me to call the ped, I got the immature nervous system answer, but it kept going longer and longer, and I brought him in video taped it, and he was diagnosed with seizures, almost constantly while he slept. It only lasted till he was 6 months old, he was on phenobarb.

Again that was MY experience, and it's probably nothing, but it's worth getting checked out, especially if your mommy radar is concerned

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page