March 2010 Oct-Nov thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

is anyone else's baby crazy about the telephone?!!  It makes me think maybe I sohld get him a toy with beeps and lights- cause he goes crazy over the phone- we have a cordless phone. And often times I talk to dh when dh is at work and I put it on speaker so ds can hear him and dh talks to ds. So now ds grabs the phone every time I pick it up! He will drop whatever he is doing and go for the phone. But the other day dh was with us and I picked up the phone and ds still went for it- so I thin khe just likes that he pushes buttons and they beep and there is lights and funny voices come out of it!

#32 of 48 Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

is anyone else's baby crazy about the telephone?!!  It makes me think maybe I sohld get him a toy with beeps and lights- cause he goes crazy over the phone- we have a cordless phone. And often times I talk to dh when dh is at work and I put it on speaker so ds can hear him and dh talks to ds. So now ds grabs the phone every time I pick it up! He will drop whatever he is doing and go for the phone. But the other day dh was with us and I picked up the phone and ds still went for it- so I thin khe just likes that he pushes buttons and they beep and there is lights and funny voices come out of it!

DD loves our cell phones. we don't have a house phone. I put it on speaker and she talks too.

Sometimes I can't get the phone from her and she juices it all up. I let her, but DH is not too keen on it :)

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#33 of 48 Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

IME babies only like the real thing! I remember trying to buy "toy" things and all they want is the expensive and or dangerous thing to chew on! LOL

#34 of 48 Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Hi Everyone, So glad everyone seems to be happy and loving their little ones to pieces. I am with Sayward & CocoaNib in that I am just over the moon with motherhood (first time) and had no idea I would love it so much. I knew it would be great, but its just not at all as bad as others (irl people) have made it out to be. I love every bit of it and of course our little guy is amazing. He is so happy, waking up smiling, has such a sense of humor, is totally into people/people watching and so "talkative" and getting really mobile these days.

Brighton sleeps with us and doesn't really wake but stirs to nurse a few times during the night. He is definitely into eating solids - he has been eating peeled grapes, orange segments (sucking the juice out), peeled pears & plums, at least 1/2 an avocado a day and blueberries. He also loves having drinks of my fresh made veggie/fruit juice combos. I'm really surprised by the combos he will tolerate (everything I have made) including grapefuit/celery very strong ginger in juices and even lemon water, about 2 lemons juiced in water without sweetner. We also have been letting him drink from our glass jars and not using a sippy cup although I'm about to purchase a non/bpa sippy type thing that fits over an 8 oz mason jar that looks really cool and might help when he wants to hold a cup himself.

He has been crawling and pulling up on everything, loves his jumper, or us "jumping" him, he loves hiding and playing peekaboo, rubbing his mouth on us and growling like daddy does to him and just giggle at us for anything. He says hi, lub (love), daddy and what we think might be my name - which I just would be so thrilled if thats what he is saying hehehe....

We have been secretly wishing I get pregnant the past 3 months and are crossing our fingers this month as I'm a few days late.

We haven't gone to any doctors appts but have been doing some weighing and measuring ourselves. He has been between 21 and 22 lbs for the past month, but has grown about 1.5 inches and is about 30.5 inches now. He turned 8 months / 34 weeks last sunday.

We live in a one room small footage cabin while we wait till build our forever home, but have just decided to add on an 8x12 room to the back to be our new bedroom so we can put the bed on the floor & provide more floor space for playing in the main room. We are really excited & hope to have this finished by the end of the year.

Ciga your blog is great & we started one for brighton - but haven't added to it in awhile - anyone else have one?

http://brightonoconnor.com

Would love to see more pics of everyones babes! If anyone wants help with setting up a blog, let me know, I would be glad to help!

ETA: the phone - he loves our phone and at about 5.5 months realized we were taking pics with them - I would say smile & then show him the photo and he started to smile whenever I was holding the phone up. It is so cute. After about 2 weeks of that he wanted the phone so we give him our old phone that looks like our current ones, without the sim cards or battery. This way the radiation isn't there and he has nothing to mess up. He is kind of upset that it doesn't light up like ours, but it usually pacifies him unitl we can redirect him to something else.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#35 of 48 Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 AM

hey there all, I am glad that this thread is up and running, I miss chatting to you all and seeing what all the cuties are up to.

I however, have not read any of this thread, just subbing, but will be back later to chat w/ you all!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#36 of 48 Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Wow! Hello everyone! I was so happy to come here and find this thread with some familiar names from the March 2010 DDC! My DD was in March but my sweet little girl Elinor came a whole month early, Feb 10th, making me the second in our DDC to deliver.

Elinor is 9mos. old now and has been a shining star in my life!  I am holding her right now, as she's cuddled in sleeping. I don't think I could have asked for a happier cherub than her. She is definitely my little sweetheart and most everyone she comes into contact withs too! LOL! I am not saying she is without the stresses but, for the most part she is a pure joy!

I am sorry to see that so many of you are still struggling with some problems. I thought I was the only one who still had to wake up in the night. I guess I was way off on that one! It's so nice to see though that I am not the only one!

gardenmommy, I am happy to see that some of your night timr difficulties are getting better! When I first read you original post, my heart went out to you big time. I could feel your sadness. As much as we love our babies, times like that make thing super rough and can even make us feel like failures. (((hugs))) to you! Also, I didn't know someone else from my DDC named their baby Eleanor! Beautiful name! Great minds think alike!

My little bugs is not crawling yet. She does get up on all 4s and she tries very hard. I keep thinking she is going to do it but, she finally gives up and just rolls to what she wants! LOL! I guess that is quicker! She also still does not have teeth but, she has had many, many foods and loves samples from the table. She say mmmmmm! She claps, makes noises by clapping her hand to her mouth, twiddling her fingers through her lips or even rolling her tongue around in her mouth. We just decorated for Christmas and he is in awe. She puckers her lips into a circle when she sees everything lit and says oooooo. It is so funny!

Anyway. I am glad to see so many of you here! I would love to keep in touch and I will be sure come back and stay in the conversation as long as there is a thread for us! Hope you all have a great day and even more a restful night! TTYS!

Michelle

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
#37 of 48 Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Hey all! We are doing fantastically well, but are super, super, super busy. I home school DD1, who is 6, DH is working on his master's, and we are just soooooooo busy. Little babe is good - 8 months old and has been crawling, pulling up, and cruising or several weeks. She loves shoes. We were at DD1's home school swim class a few weeks ago and DD2 spotted someone's pile of stuff, crawled over to this pile of bags, towels, clothes, etc., and dug the brown sneaker out to put it in her mouth. How she recognizes a shoe of any color or style, amidst a pile of much more colorful stuff, is amazing to me. lol She sure does love chewing on shoes, though. She's eating a LOT all of the sudden, and drinking like it's going out of style. She's finally started waving and giving kisses, too. We're all in love, of course.

#38 of 48 Old 11-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Hithere!

Nora is adorable. The past week we've been having really bad sleep though- She wakes up for a while in the   middle of the night. it is brutal! I don't mind nursing through the night as long as we are both right back to sleep but this new thing stinks! Hopefully it is a short lived stage.

She is still tiny but loves to eat solid food. We are still trying to do a gut healing diet and it isn't always easy. Like today I may have to succumb to the temptation of leftover homemade apple pie. I just don't think I can resist it. Sigh.........

#39 of 48 Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Only four months 'till they're a year old!! Sniff.  My little Ethan is 18lbs now (the last time we checked, anyway) and still nursing away.  He has two teeth and army crawling (tummy scooting?) ALL over the place.  He's learned how to get into a sitting position from his tummy, and is starting to pull up on everything he can.  Such a big boy! It seems like yesterday I was in the hospital with him. 

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#40 of 48 Old 12-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deir View Post

Hithere!

Nora is adorable. The past week we've been having really bad sleep though- She wakes up for a while in the   middle of the night. it is brutal! I don't mind nursing through the night as long as we are both right back to sleep but this new thing stinks! Hopefully it is a short lived stage.

She is still tiny but loves to eat solid food. We are still trying to do a gut healing diet and it isn't always easy. Like today I may have to succumb to the temptation of leftover homemade apple pie. I just don't think I can resist it. Sigh.........

I'm sorry she's still having gut issues! Maya is turning out to be like DD1 wrt that stuff. They both just had weird poop as long as they were ebf, then once they were eating enough solids to have more...well, what would you call it? NOT ebf poop? lol Anyway, once we got to that point, their poop was completely normal - no longer slimy, mucusy, or in any other way weird. DD1's poop tended to be more normal as an ebf baby, provided I was very careful about what I ate, but it wasn't normal all the time. Maya's was basically never yellow and curdy once she was over about 4 or 5 weeks old.  Sometimes it would be yellowish, sometimes it would be curdy, but never both, and mostly it was just slimy. And I know I would definitely be able to tell if it were still weird, because she got a cold which also resulted in some slimy diarrhea for a week or so there a couple weeks ago, and it was definitely not normal poop. Once the cold was gone, though, her poop went right back to the normal poop of a baby who's eating solids. So I guess it's true that for some babies, unusual-looking ebf poop really is just normal, because it's certainly not the case that I changed my diet or started nursing her less after she started solids. I had hoped that would be true for you guys, also.

Do you think she's waking because of teeething? Maya does that every time she has a new tooth coming in.

#41 of 48 Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Hi all!

So nice to see your familiar names and hear some about your lives!

Eliseo is past 9 months. He started crawling early at 6 months, and although he pulls himself and cruises, he still seems far off from actually walking. I had a hard time adjusting to being a mom of two for months 2-4 I'd say, but now I am loving it (mostly). I am relieved to hear I am not the only one whose baby nurses all.night.long. I LOVE co-sleeping with him and can't bear to give it up, but sometimes I tire of the endless night-nurseathon. 

He loves paper as well. He would do anything to play and eat some paper. Even when I think the floor is babyproofed, he manages to find some paper.

Here is a picture of him from last month.

http://kloomer.blogspot.com/2010/10/eliseo.html   

Miss you guys!

take care,

Kelcey

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#42 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM

plummetting-

Nora's poop has been more normal with solid food too!  Why would that be? I can't seem to figure that out. However, If I eat even a touch of dairy it seems we are back to mucus.

She also has a yeast rash that is worse than ever right now despite my anti- yeast diet.

Would you mind describing "normal" to me? (Oh how gross the things I want to know abouthese days! LOL)

#43 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ds has 2 teeth and has been biting when nursing recently- this is awful :(

anyone else dealing with that? any tips?

also, do you rbreasts fill up and get backed up now if your baby is eating a fair am't of solids?

#44 of 48 Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:

plummetting-

Nora's poop has been more normal with solid food too!  Why would that be? I can't seem to figure that out. However, If I eat even a touch of dairy it seems we are back to mucus.

She also has a yeast rash that is worse than ever right now despite my anti- yeast diet.

Would you mind describing "normal" to me? (Oh how gross the things I want to know abouthese days! LOL)

LOL! I don't know - like a smaller, softer version of adult poop, but with a little undigested food here and there? (Because she doesn't eat pureed anything, so you know...peas in the poop are inevitable.) I definitely can't eat anything that bothers her. With Maya it is dairy and corn for sure. We eat at a local sandwich shop every Friday after DD1's homeschool gym class, and once the girl accidentally put cheese on my sandwich and I didn't notice until a few bites in. Of course we went right back to a day or two of weird poop then, but it corrected itself pretty quickly. I can't find ANYTHING on why solids would make their poop look less weird, but here are the only three things I've ever heard or read:

• DD1's pediatrician said some babies digestive systems just push bm through so quickly that it will never look normal, and no one knows why, then once they start solids it all slows down and everything's fine
  • I read the same thing online in ONE place, but it was just someone else's ped telling them the same thing. I can't find a study to say that.
  • I emailed Dr. Newman's clinic and they responded. They basically said that if my baby was healthy and growing, I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to have to go with what DD1's ped said, because I can't find anything to contradict it or prove it, but it's happened with both of my kids now. I guess if I had a third I just wouldn't worry about it anymore. (Yeah, right...)

#45 of 48 Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

Quote:

plummetting-

LOL! I don't know - like a smaller, softer version of adult poop, but with a little undigested food here and there? (Because she doesn't eat pureed anything, so you know...peas in the poop are inevitable.) I definitely can't eat anything that bothers her. With Maya it is dairy and corn for sure. We eat at a local sandwich shop every Friday after DD1's homeschool gym class, and once the girl accidentally put cheese on my sandwich and I didn't notice until a few bites in. Of course we went right back to a day or two of weird poop then, but it corrected itself pretty quickly. I can't find ANYTHING on why solids would make their poop look less weird, but here are the only three things I've ever heard or read:

• DD1's pediatrician said some babies digestive systems just push bm through so quickly that it will never look normal, and no one knows why, then once they start solids it all slows down and everything's fine
  • I read the same thing online in ONE place, but it was just someone else's ped telling them the same thing. I can't find a study to say that.
  • I emailed Dr. Newman's clinic and they responded. They basically said that if my baby was healthy and growing, I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to have to go with what DD1's ped said, because I can't find anything to contradict it or prove it, but it's happened with both of my kids now. I guess if I had a third I just wouldn't worry about it anymore. (Yeah, right...)

You'll worry with the 3rd TRUST ME!!! LOL

#46 of 48 Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:

ds has 2 teeth and has been biting when nursing recently- this is awful :(

anyone else dealing with that? any tips?

also, do you rbreasts fill up and get backed up now if your baby is eating a fair am't of solids?

hi! Don't cut back on nursing if the babe is biting. Just say STOP very strongly and push their face gently into your breast so they can't yank with the teeth. (It feels mean but it gets their attention) Be careful with the milk back up- that may be a sign that you're cutting back too quickly  watch for signs of plugged ducts and take care of them (heat, massage empty) immediately.

Biting is very temporary. Sometimes they bite when they don't feel like nursing. I can't just nurse Nora every time I feel like it -she bites as if she's fooling around KWIM?

#47 of 48 Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Well, we've had the virus from hell here.  I think we are about 3 weeks into dealing with it, as it's gone through the entire family.  Poor Eleanor is coughing so much, I wish I knew what to do to help her.  I'm dealing with exactly the same thing; I cough so hard sometimes, I want to vomit.  I keep hoping that we're getting better, but it sure is a slow process.  Anyway, Eleanor is enjoying everything I put in her; so far, she's tried applesauce, butternut squash, chicken, roast beef, chicken noodle soup, green beans, apple, banana, pear, sweet potato, carrot, and avocado.  The only thing she really didn't like was the avocado, but I'm going to have a talk with her, because it's practically a requirement of being in our family that you have to like avos, lol.

I think I earned the "bad mom of the century" award this week.  Eleanor crawled off the bed, landed on our hardwood floor, and received a bruise on her forehead and a terrific shiner.  I feel terrible every time I look at her and see her eye looking so black and blue.  I hope it heals really fast.

RE: biting while nursing.  Deir had good advice.  All of mine have tried biting when they started to get their teeth.  I did just what Deir suggested, as well as looking them straight in the eye and telling them, "no biting.  be gentle with mama."  and they all seemed to get the message pretty quickly.  

That said, I'm still dealing with Eleanor's latch when she nurses.  Her latch has never been great, but since she has been teething, it has gotten worse.  SIL (who is an OT) gave me some ideas for helping encourage her be more comfortable with nursing and developing her muscle tone.  SIL validated what I've been feeling since DD was born, but haven't been able to put into words, and gave me some stuff to work with her on.  I'm going to try to get my DD2 back into the OT, and have Eleanor evaluated at the same time.  

#48 of 48 Old 12-12-2010, 01:34 PM

I think falling off the bed is like a rite of passage or something. lol My DD1 fell off the bed while I was sitting right there next to her. She just took off crawling and crawled right off the edge. We all feel bad about it, but I think something like that happens to every baby sooner or later. (Knock on wood, though...Maya hasn't done it...yet.)

Oh yes, and my sister's pediatrician let her daughter roll off the changing table right onto the floor and fracture her skull, so apparently even they (doctors who see these injuries all the time and are supposed to know better) do it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page