Xantac mamas - please help!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post
Tellera-Yikes! Prevacid is expensive. That's what I was worried out. I had to pay $45 (full out of pocket price) for generic Zantac. I'm guessing the Prevacid will be well over $100.

My DH never put my son on his insurance. He was waiting for the social security card, which took 6 weeks. When we got the card he went to add my son and it said you had to add him within 31 days. I was soo mad at DH because I had asked him several times to call the insurance and he kept saying, "I need the social security card." So who knows if we can even add him. I'd pay anything to help my son but if we can hold off until we have insurance, that would be preferable. We'll get Medicaid if we can't get him on DH's insurance.
That sucks! I'm so sorry. I feel lucky, our insurance would add our kids without the SSN. Otherwise I believe we would have been in your situation. I really hope they can add him. What is the insurance company saying, is there any leeway, or do you have to wait a full year until "open" time?
I believe both the compound and the solutabs were generic, for us. For the compound, you would need to find a compounding pharmacy, and I'd call a few to see what they would charge. The generic name for prevacid is Lansoprazole. You might check with Walmart for the solutab, to see how much they charge for it. I also strongly recommend contacting the makers of Prevacid and explaining your situation, and see what support they can offer, with coupons, or even assistance.
That's the book I read! I loved it. I thought it explained everything really well. He said Zantac is repulsive and stops working after a while for some unknown reason. But it does work for some and is a reasonable place to start. He usually goes straight to Prevacid though.
That's right, I forgot about the zantac losing effectiveness... that may have been a decision in us just phasing it out (that it probably wasn't helping at all). My brain is fuzzy.
I'm supposed to call the ped Tuesday or Wednesday to check in and we have a 2 month visit in less than 2 weeks. I think it's reasonable to keep trying the Zantac since it seems to be working. My ped said she had another child with the exact same presentation as mine who is doing great on the Zantac. Maybe we just lucked out.
Yeah, just go with it. But, at your appt. it wouldn't hurt to talk about a plan just in case it does start to lose effectiveness. On that influx reflux board I posted earlier in the thread, a few moms were told they could give mylanta for flair ups. We didn't go that route - no need as the prevacid keeps things in control very well. But, anyway, if it does lose effectiveness, it could help bridge rough episodes until something else kicks in, e.g., prevacid.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Tellera-We DIDN'T need to wait for the ss card. My DH just ASSUMED we did! He never called or looked online. Grrrrrr. I'm not sure what will happen. He faxed in the form Friday and we're waiting to hear. Maybe they won't notice?! Open enrollment isn't until July.

Contacting the makers of Prevacid is a great idea if we go that route. Thanks!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
Old 10-31-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Tellera-We DIDN'T need to wait for the ss card. My DH just ASSUMED we did! He never called or looked online. Grrrrrr. I'm not sure what will happen. He faxed in the form Friday and we're waiting to hear. Maybe they won't notice?! Open enrollment isn't until July.

Yikes! Keeping fingers crossed that it works out!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM

We had to 'fail' at Zantac before the insurance would do Prevacid for my newest babe. Failing was exactly what you described-choking/gagging/spitting enough out that we couldn't accurately dose.

Prevacid comes in solutabs that you stick in their cheek, and it dissolves in seconds! It's awesome, makes dosing her MUCH easier and the results are fantastic!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Well our ped's nurse called back and said we could try Prevacid. She prescribed the liquid compound, which I've read goes bad after 5-14 days (depending on who you ask). I called the pharmacist with my concerns and they said they give you two bottles, one for each 15 days. She said it's the air (from opening and closing the bottle) that makes it go bad. But from what I've read on the internet, it's the fact that the medication breaks down without its protective beads and has nothing to do with air. But I suppose it can't hurt to keep the second bottle airtight until we need it. I've also read that flavoring can make it break down faster if it contains citric acid. The pharmacist had never heard of this but I got it unflavored just to be safe. And there are many stories of people who said their compound lasted all month just fine. I don't know what to think. My head is swimming.

It's $108 since we don't have insurance! I believe the Solutabs are even more expensive. I figure we'll try this for a few weeks. Hopefully by the end of the month we'll have some sort of insurance and I can ask my ped about the Solutabs. We have an appointment in 2 weeks so I can talk to the ped face to face instead of having to talk to nurse and have her relay information. Don't you hate that?

She prescribed 2.5 ML once a day but I don't know what that is in terms of mg. Maybe that dose is too low to use the Solutabs?

And our Tucker Sling will be here tomorrow.

Last night was just AWFUL. The Zantac seemed to work beautifully for 2-3 days and then stopped working (either that or it just doesn't last through the night). I really wanted to switch to Prevacid anyway since by all accounts, it's a more effective drug with less side effects.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Well our ped's nurse called back and said we could try Prevacid. She prescribed the liquid compound, which I've read goes bad after 5-14 days (depending on who you ask). I called the pharmacist with my concerns and they said they give you two bottles, one for each 15 days. She said it's the air (from opening and closing the bottle) that makes it go bad. But from what I've read on the internet, it's the fact that the medication breaks down without its protective beads and has nothing to do with air. But I suppose it can't hurt to keep the second bottle airtight until we need it. I've also read that flavoring can make it break down faster if it contains citric acid. The pharmacist had never heard of this but I got it unflavored just to be safe. And there are many stories of people who said their compound lasted all month just fine. I don't know what to think. My head is swimming.

It's $108 since we don't have insurance! I believe the Solutabs are even more expensive. I figure we'll try this for a few weeks. Hopefully by the end of the month we'll have some sort of insurance and I can ask my ped about the Solutabs. We have an appointment in 2 weeks so I can talk to the ped face to face instead of having to talk to nurse and have her relay information. Don't you hate that?

She prescribed 2.5 ML once a day but I don't know what that is in terms of mg. Maybe that dose is too low to use the Solutabs?

And our Tucker Sling will be here tomorrow.

Last night was just AWFUL. The Zantac seemed to work beautifully for 2-3 days and then stopped working (either that or it just doesn't last through the night). I really wanted to switch to Prevacid anyway since by all accounts, it's a more effective drug with less side effects.
Sorry about last night. Maybe it was just one hard night?

2.5 ml, the dose depends on what the compound is. You'll be able to see it on the script label on the bottle. Ours is 3mg/ml. So if yours is that, then it would be 7.5 mg once per day. With the solutab, I believe those can come in 15 mg each, so you would split the solutab in half and give the half. I've heard of some compounds being 5mg/ml.

So, from our experience:

As far as dose timing. We have a refill every 14 days and that is fine. I noticed no increase in symptoms after a week, so for us it works. Our pharmacy only mixes it that way, too. Meaning, the script is for a month, but they fill half. Wait for me to call back 14 days later, then they make the rest of the compound. They, the pharmacists, at our pharm, say that it is not stable in the fridge past that long. However, I did not ask specifics about it being from opening the bottle or the med breaking down.

As far as flavoring, our pharm refuses to flavor, they say that it makes the compound less stable as well, but they did not specify that it was the citric acid specifically.

The GI spec we have has us split our dose, so we do it once in the morning and one at night. Did your ped give you that option, to split your dose? Our ped had us doing it just once per day (and a much lower dose, like, .5 ml but I can't remember exactly), when we saw the GI, she kicked it up to 1.5ml, twice per day - you may want to ask about that. I think the spaced dosings may work better for some babies as babes metabolize it fast, so it's helpful to do a two dose deal, am and pm. But, that said, I've also read about babies doing excellently on a single dose per day. It is all trial and error.

For us, it did take a full 2 weeks, close to 2 1/2 for us to see a difference. In fact, there was one point where I was breaking down, thinking at the two week mark, oh my god, this is as good as it's going to get (and it felt very very bad), and commiserating with my pp doula about it (crying mostly), and then 2 nights later, bam, she started sleeping inthe nap nanny. Others, however, have seen differences a whole lot faster! In just days!

I hope that your insurance kicks in SOON. $108 is hefty.

Are you also trying a milk and soy elim diet at the same time, or will you try that later, after 2+ weeks on prevacid? Just curious.

Just to share... I was off milk prods, eggs, all soy prods, and gluten, and she still did so much better on nutramagen. So much so, that after I was at work and she started getting mostly nutramagen instead of breastmilk, I had to stop giving her my freezer stash when I realized just how badly she was reacting over and over to a bottle of that vs a bottle of nutramagin. Anyway, if the prevacid alone isn't helping, elim diet might.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Just know it will get better. It will take some time getting the right meds, the right sleeping arrangements (I have high hopes for the tucker sling!), foods, etc., but it will. I was told that she would most likely no longer need the meds at a year, and that it would resolve by then, and that by 6 or 7 months things would start getting better. I thought they were crazy. But you know, I realized one day, around 7 1/2 months or so, that holy sh!t, I have only had to change my shirt 2 times today (instead of 6 or 7). And it felt like every week got better. I have even tried to lower the dose of her meds once, but it didn't work. I tried going down by a mg in the morning, but she started having bad days again, so we went back to 6 mg (2ml) in the morning. The GI suggested we wait until March to start weaning again, saying that it may be best to keep her on it through the cold and flu season, as being sick can cause reflux to get a lot worse. I can see that, i'm glad she is still on the meds right now. But, I may try weaning earlier than March (she would be 13 months then). I might try January or February. Just going slowly.

Do you have any IRL support?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Tellera,

Well good news. My husband heard from HR and they agreed to add my baby. He should be on the insurance in a few days. Phew!

I talked to a different pharmacist (intern actually) who said, "Sometimes it goes bad after 2 weeks so let us know if it becomes less effective." She said, "For some people it's fine, for others it stops working." Huh? I said, "If it's likely to go bad, why not just give me 2 weeks?" She said, "Well it's easier for you to only come once a month." ARrrrgh.

I asked if I could just buy 2 weeks now and she said, "No" since they already filled it and was made just for my baby."

But at least I know that in the future, if we stay on this, I can pick it up every two weeks.

But I'm going to ask my ped about the solutab. I looked and my dosage is 3 mg/ml as well. My appointment is in 2 weeks.

His symptoms are worst at night so maybe taking it at night in one dose will be OK. Ugh, two weeks to see a symptom improvement?

Last night was bad and the night before. And in retrospect, even on the good nights, I had to have him sleeping on my arm. I'd rather get to the point where he can sleep on his back on his own. And I just couldn't get him to keep the Zantac down. He tolerated the Prevacid a lot better just now.

I gave up dairy but not soy. I was waiting to see if dairy made a difference first.

I have some IRL support but it's nice to talk to people who have been through it themselves.

Thanks for all of the support and advice!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 AM

Our MD has us giving the split dose of Prevacid, she's on one tab at night and a half tab in the morning. Since overnights is the worst, that's when she gets the bigger dose. Once a day, according to our MD, isn't enough to keep it in her system on an ongoing basis, without a med level dip.

She's MSPI as well, so that makes a difference.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM

My DD is on Zantac for reflux and it does work for her. We tried weaning her off of it last month and things went downhill.

At first we had the same issues of her hating it. She didn't scream, she just spit it out. We had to aim it way back in her throat so she'd swallow by reflex.

Now... now it's different. Now she sees the bottle, smiles, and opens her mouth. Basically she started to LIKE taking it at about the same time she started eating solids.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM

gradstudentmommy - so sorry you are having to deal with this!! Glad the insurance worked out and that at least a few nights have been better (indicating if nothing else some of the issues are treatable!).

I can't figure out if my LO has reflux or not -- he has a few symptoms, but ped asked if it could be intestines, and I wasn't sure. I'm going to read up on the links posted here to try and figure it out. In the meantime, I'm on dairy/soy free diet and will be starting him on probiotics, as per ped.

(BTW, you can edit the post title by choosing the advance edits option from the edit page.)

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM

RhiOrion-Wow, hard to believe anyone could find that Zantac tasty. That's incredible.

Porcelina-Sorry your little one is having tummy troubles too. I hope you figure them out.

Last night was DS's best night since around 3 weeks, when I first noticed his reflux symptoms. It was only his second day on Prevacid so I don't know if it could be working that fast. He's super mellow today too and napping well.

I did notice that yesterday was the first day since he was born that I did not have any soy. I eliminated dairy a week ago but was still eating soy. I never realized it's in EVERYTHING (every Lean Cuisine I have, many cereals, bars). It's too early to tell but now I'm suspecting soy intolerance. I LOVE soy and crave it so it's much harder to give up than dairy but anything for my baby!

Oh we tried the Tucker sling last night. DS was NOT a fan. I'll keep trying but may end up selling it.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
RhiOrion-Wow, hard to believe anyone could find that Zantac tasty. That's incredible.

Porcelina-Sorry your little one is having tummy troubles too. I hope you figure them out.

Last night was DS's best night since around 3 weeks, when I first noticed his reflux symptoms. It was only his second day on Prevacid so I don't know if it could be working that fast. He's super mellow today too and napping well.

I did notice that yesterday was the first day since he was born that I did not have any soy. I eliminated dairy a week ago but was still eating soy. I never realized it's in EVERYTHING (every Lean Cuisine I have, many cereals, bars). It's too early to tell but now I'm suspecting soy intolerance. I LOVE soy and crave it so it's much harder to give up than dairy but anything for my baby!

Oh we tried the Tucker sling last night. DS was NOT a fan. I'll keep trying but may end up selling it.
Yeah our ped said soy and milk are actually really similar, and babies with milk intolerances/allergies should stay away from soy also. We're in the same boat.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Were they notified of your child's birth? We just had to notify them, within 31 days, then the actual birth certificate was faxed over once we got it, she was like 6 weeks then? Best of luck! That's a nightmare, I would be SO angry! I hope it works out!

I'm watching this thread and learning! My DD is very, very spitty. We joke milk goes down and cheese comes up, it's all curdled. I did a trial dairy elimination and noticed no difference at all, although managing my oversupply is key to her comfort. I've had two dairy protein sensitive babies, this babes issues are different, for sure. We go in Monday next week for her 2 month visit and we'l be discussing reflux.

ETA: I just read you were able to add him to your insurance! Fabulous news!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

User Tag List