~ JULY 2010 Oct-Dec Thread ~ - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 165 Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow, I can't believe so many babes have teeth popping up! We have absolutely no signs of teeth around here. Every once in a while when DS is extra fussy I think hmm, could it be? But it never is.

We started some solid food on Wednesday, his 6 month birthday, not because I'm that anal about waiting till exactly six months, but because I kind of wanted to do something special...obviously cake was out! DS has been reaching for food and so enthralled with our chewing and eating food in front of him he just couldn't wait. So we started with banana- I gave him a chunk and also had some mashed up which I tried to give him with a spoon and he didn't like that. Then I just gave him some on my fingers and he loved that. He had a hard time man-handling the slippery chunk, but he had fun trying- most of what he ate came from my fingers. He made some crazy faces the first time he tasted it. He's had banana a few times now, and he just seems to like it more and more. Yesterday we tried steamed carrots, but he didn't seem to like those as much. Boy is it all messy. DH says he has always been totally disgusted by messy baby eating, and that he doesn't think it's cute at all. I can understand that I guess, luckily he didn't think DS eating was too gross.

What are your sitting up babes playing with? DS has blocks and stacking cups that he really loves to bang around. He still likes some of his rattly and soft clutch toys, but I think he wants something more to bang around. I gave him some wooden spoons and he liked those...until he poked himself in the eye with the handle end and I took them away. It's all about the banging around here. What can I give him that he can "bang" with?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#152 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've given E. some avocado--he's had a good time mashing it around but almost none of it made it into his mouth. He was interested in licking some avocado bits off my finger, but wasn't sure what to make of them. He kind of tongued it like a dog does with peanut butter. We'll try some other stuff tonight. We're BLW, but understanding that more traditional baby food will probably be given in daycare (my husband is running for office and E. will be in daycare in April if he wins--he's got a good shot, wish him luck!) and we're OK with that.

He's also graduated to the big tub for baths--we never had a baby tub, could fit him in the sink for about a week, so for the last several months, I've just been bringing him into the shower. Well, I threw out my back last week, and Mr. Gigantor Baby (he's probably right around 20 pounds) is too wiggly and slippery for that to work anymore, so we bathed him in the tub. He really got a kick out of kicking, but didn't care much for the toys.

In other news, our diaper service suddenly went out of business, never picked up the old diapers--about 60 prefolds (and we have no idea where to bring them, nobody's answering the phone), so we washed them and are CDing on our own, which has been much better than I had originally expected.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#153 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Proto-Lawyer - that's kind of funny about the diaper company just vanishing. Are you wishing you'd just started with your own stash? Our dryer is broken so laundry has been a real pain around here for the last month or so.

DS turned 6 mths a few days ago. I can't believe it. He's had 2 baths in the big tub and the second time I let him lay out in the tub. The water just covered his ears and his face was out of the water and his head kind of floated. He became so quiet and peaceful. It was awesome to watch. I find myself just staring at DS all the time now. I'm going to be away all day during the weeks starting next week and it's really starting to dawn on me how much I'm going to miss out on.

DS has no teeth either. He's 20lbs. He's so happy and good-natured. He's in cloth and I think that really restricts his movement because when he gets "nakey" time he is all over the place wiggling and rolling.

I hear him waking up, gotta go! So nice to read about your LOs and see the pics, love those aquarium pics.

I'm my own superhero.gif
Be yours too
#154 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Ex-pat.......I was talking to another mom from Mya's preschool today, she had her 6 month old DD there and she already had 7 teeth! Apparently she got her 4 top teeth all at once (ouch!).

Re: Sitting toys, so far Ainsley isn't picky at all about toys, she'll play with anything that happens to be laying around.....if we're out at a restaurant she'll wave a napkin around for 20 minutes. My first was never like that though. I'm not sure what your tolerance is for non-wood, non-natural toys but my brother gave Ainsley this penguin for Christmas and she loves it, we just didn't put batteries in it and she loves to swat it around. At first I was a bit annoyed at yet another giant toy in my house but it's been pretty good for her.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2341&e=detail&pcat=gobabygo&pid=42970

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#155 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Proto-Lawyer - that's kind of funny about the diaper company just vanishing. Are you wishing you'd just started with your own stash? Our dryer is broken so laundry has been a real pain around here for the last month or so.

Actually, I don't--there was no way we could have kept up with the laundry at the beginning, and I think we would have abandoned cloth diapering soon enough. This gave us enough time to really see the benefits, and also get into a groove. On the upside, we now have 60 nice, soft prefolds (which, yes, if the owner ever gets back in touch with us, we will happily return or negotiate terms for purchase).

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#156 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I love seeing all the baby pics :)

Ds will be 6 mth on the 23

ds is a food loving chunk!  He is about 22lbs and busting out of the 12mth clothes

He devours food.  His favorites are sweet potato, applesauce, mango, and beans.  If it is too thin he gets mad - he likes thick purees. 

If we eat and dont feed him he screams.

He loves jumping on my lap - he sits straddling my leg and stands up holding my shirt and jumping up and down.  If i put him in an excersaucer he does the same thing.

HE thinks slapping his hand on things is so fun - especially a table with a puddle of water  -that gets huge squeels of joy.

He has 2 teeth and is getting more so sleep in this house is nonexistant.  He likes sitting but hates tummy time on the cold hard wood floors.

He fell off the couch for the first time the other day and my 2y/o ds said "you are a bad mama - your baby fell off the couch"  OUCH!

#157 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
MJB

Wow, all these babies are huge! Edie is only 14 1/2 lbs. She hasn't gained in 2 mos. which is a little worrisome to me, but she's doing great developmentally, peeing and pooping lots, loudly gulping mama milk tons of times a day AND eating a good deal of food, so I think it's just her. My oldest was a skinny baby.

No teeth here yet but I can't believe it! The bottom two have been bulging for weeks. I don't remember it taking so long to go from bulging to out.

Sitting toys: Edie likes to take her pacifier in and out of her mouth, chew on the edges, pass it from one hand to the other. We have a silicone teething ring she chews on a lot. Those two things are always with us. Her favorite toy at home is this big stuffed cloth block with ribbon tags along the seams that has a rattle inside. She also likes to pull off her socks or shoes and eat them. Or her toes. 

No crawling here, but she is moving in circles and backwards. Our hardwood floors are too slippery so I put my yoga mat out for her. 

#158 of 165 Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 PM

alistair was 19 lbs at 4 1/2 months.. I have no idea how much he weights now. probably 21 or 22.. he's a biggun. He can sit occationaly, but does fall over unless buffeted. He is good on his tummy and can do 360 degree turns. He sticks his butt up and rocks on his hands and knees.. It won't be long now till he's crawling..

he has two teeth on the bottom, and I've been feeding him solids since 4 months.. he just really wanted it, so I figure that he knows what he needs. It's my third baby, so I'm pretty lax about the whole thing. You shaoulda seen me with my first baby. You would have thought brown rice cereal was toxic waste if you tried to give it to my girl at 8 months.. lol....

how many naps does your LO have per day and for how long? I think I need to do something about my baby's schedule.. he likes to go to bed every night at 10 or 10:30... arrg.

and my kids dad moved out.. I don't know if any of you remember my dramarific story, but needless to say, change has come and I think we're better off for it.

#159 of 165 Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

MJB: mine is slimming down, too, and he's not even crawling. I don't think it's the solids though, since he nurses more than he eats even though he'll eat a ton. He eats usually 1-2 meals a day and the rest is nursing on demand. My oldest was a skinny-mini, too, and she was EBF for 10 months. So I think my babies are just meant to be slim. At our last pedi visit he weighed in at approx. 8 kg, that's roughly 17.5 lbs. So he's not one of the super chunky babies, but he's definitely got more meat on his bones than his big sister did at this age.

We also have no teeth showing yet, and ds turned 6 months on Monday. Sleep is also horrible over here. He naps 1-2 a day, depending on when he gets his midmorning nap in. And if the last nap is too late then he's hard to put down in the evening. I won't say for the night because he wakes up hourly no matter what. DP keeps harping on about how I'm doing something wrong and that the baby should be sttn already. I think he keeps hearing too much crap from his family which thinks CIO is awesome. I get really tired of him bringing up their parenting styles and how "successful" they are with their kids, but he never allows me to draw on my experiences with parenting my dd. He claims I'm making comparisons between them that I shouldn't be doing. So he's acting like I don't know anything about parenting and all my practices that for me were researched, tried and true with dd are being treated like crazy ideas I've picked up from who knows where. The only good thing right now is that he's gone most of the week most of the time so that he can't criticize me 24/7.

And ds is still a spitter. Or rather he's turning into a puker. Now that he's eating solids regularly, and sits in a high chair well enough (he doesn't sit independently well yet), he's slowed down a lot on the spitting front. Lately I've noticed that it smells more like vomit, though, when he spits up. It's really kind of gross and I hope this phase is over quickly. DP - who only really sees our son on weekends - gets asked all the time if ds is still spitting and everytime he tells them, "Oh no, he's stopped doing that . . . " Only to leave ds and me to correct him with the evidence. It's just so silly how DP wants to present our son as the perfecty parented baby to his family. You know, the baby that sttn, doesn't cry, doesn't spit up, eats everything he's offered, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm really stressed as it is and am due for a psychiatric rehabilitation next week for a few weeks, but have to postpone it for a few months due to 1) dd's schooling registration for next year (Germany has a VERY different system) and 2) the baby! I just can't imagine the clinic having the resources to deal with a baby while I'm off jogging, in a therapy class or whatever. And I don't understand why they (German Pension Fund) couldn't just send me off to a mother-child-rehab. Maybe it'll come down to that in the end. It's just irritating that I have to deal with all this paperwork, phone calls and emails that get no where. It's not easy getting a rehab measure approved, and I've already had to let one slide due to other burocratic reasons. I don't want to miss out on this one as I really need the opportunity to relax, do something for me, find out if I need to do anything more to prevent another episode of depression, and figure out how to deal with my passive-aggressive partner and his parenting insecurity issues..

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#160 of 165 Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Going to try and add a picture......but I'm challenged so let's see if it works! Here's Ainsley "helping" me fold her flats, she thought my yogurt container was the funest toy in the world.

Ainsley sitting.bmp

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#161 of 165 Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Hi everyone!! Peace.gif

It's so wonderful to see everyone's LOs as they are growing and developing such personalities.  We are now posting about teeth, and solids and sitting up and talking!  At this time last year, we were all talking about hip pain, and the end of our nausea and if we were going to CD or not!  Amazing how quickly things change!

India is doing great - we still adore her - which is a great thing!  She has two little teeth, still hates tummy time, loves to 'stand' up, loves to sit and loves to play 'band', aka take everything and slam it around like she's a master percussionist!  Like you, Expat, we gave her a taste of solids on her 6 month birthday (avocado), but she wasn't interested. We do BLW and since then she's tried my apples, bananas, pears, sweet potatoes, all with no interest.  She just wants mommy's milk (and to freak out my MIL) I guess!

Is anyone on FB?  I find that I'm not on here a ton, but if anyone is interested, maybe we could connect there?

Take care everyone!

Here is India participating in her new habit this week - lip biting!

DSC_0843.JPG

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#162 of 165 Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM

I have really missed these threads...this is the first night in months (as in, 6 of them), that I have had a few moments at night to sit at the computer.  So much fun to sit and read about all of your beautiful babes.  I cannot believe how time has flown.  Just cannot grasp it.  Natalie has been as sweet as can be, such a love, except when it comes to sleeping.  for as long as I can remember now she has been sleeping only 15 -20 minutes in her crib for naps, at bed time, etc.  No surprise, it is just what happens with our kiddos - they nurse on demand and want to sleep with mama, or attached to Mama I should say!  It has been hard to not have any moments free, but I am constantly reminding myself how quickly it goes.  And she is so cuddly and cozy!  She's a smaller one, just about 16 lbs, but I guess she is pretty long at 28 inches.  All typcial for my kiddos.  Not at all close to sitting up...she never gets a chance to sit and practice with the other two kiddos running crazy and the 100 lb Bernese Mountain Dog milling about! :  )

Hope everyone is enjoying their babes and the winter months.  Man, is it cold! 

Last year at this time we still had SO long to go until birth...and now the birth seems like a faraway dream. 

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

#163 of 165 Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

L³ and Lovewins - sweet baby pics!

Anyone heard from Welsh? Sure hope she and her family were no where near the airport.

Fritz is slowly getting mobile. When he's not on his playmate he's pushing himself all over the floor - we don't have carpetting. Really glad we went shopping last recently and started getting babyproofing stuff! It won't be long now. He's got a huge appetite. Not only does he nurse around the clock he'll eat anything and lots of it when offered at meals. At the moment, he eats lunch with us everyday. Sometimes I'll make him something for dinner, too, but I'm usually too distracted trying to get all my loose ends tied up and get dd fed and into bed. (In case you're wondering, dinner is light affair in Germany. Lunch is the main meal of the day here.) He was having some poop issues and got a horrible rash from it, but that's gone. I forget how some things just have no reason or rhyme with babies. Poop is one of them. And does anyone else's dc get pimples? He's got a constant light rash on one side of his face. I assume it's from rubbing his hand on that spot while sucking on his fingers and spreading drool everywhere. But he had a real pimple on the other cheek last week and now he's getting another one on the side where he's got is little rash. What up? More mysterious baby body works? I don't think he's got any food sensibilities. Being a food allergy sufferer myself, I'd expect more than one random pimple.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#164 of 165 Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
MJB

Edie gets a rash on her cheeks sometimes. It comes and goes at random. It doesn't seem connected to anything I eat or she eats. We're going to switch laundry detergents to see if that helps. Hope you can figure it out! My middle son would get pimples when I had my period.

Edie's scooting around on her butt a lot now. She can get pretty far. She occasionally pushes up to hands and knees but she doesn't like to be on her belly for long so I'm not sure if she'll ever crawl! My boys never did the butt scoot. My mom's hypothesis is that she knows she can just sit there because someone will get her whatever she wants.

We're giving her a lot of food now. She definitely gets something every day; I'm trying to make sure it's healthy and balanced but we resort to mi-del graham crackers and yobaby yogurt too much. She really likes chicken, sweet potatoes, fruit, and cheese. She thinks spinach is a cruel joke. 

#165 of 165 Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM

HI everyone! love.gif

It is so nice to hear how all of these July babes are doing! Things are good here too! Jack is doing great. He starting crawling about 2 months ago and is now pulling up on everything he can find. We are constantly on our feet with this little guy. He is super happy but just beginning the mommy-itis phase. Poor guy gets so distressed if I leave the room. He was a great sleeper up until recently now he seems to be waking more and being more restless maybe it is just teeth. He has tried a few new foods favorite being broccoli so far. 

The girls just love him to pieces and he loves them too, he always has built in entertainment and even though he gets into their stuff they are so good  natured about it. I am so proud of how well they have done with him.

Other than that the days just go so quickly. I can't believe this little on is so big now! He is my biggest baby, I think right now he is just under 20lbs but boy the kid is long 30in! At 6 months he was the same size that DD#2 was at 1year!

Here is some cuteness from the past month or so!

P1010613.JPGP2040648.JPGP2110654.JPG

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page