~ JULY 2010 Oct-Dec Thread ~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 165 Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since our DDC is closing I thought I'd start a thread here so that we all stay in touch!

Just yesterday I was talking to another mom about how little my ds rolls or even tries to roll. He really only does it when I'm changing his diaper and he's free from all that bulky cloth. Still, he only ever rolls to one side. Well, last night after nursing him, I put him down on the couch in the living room where dd was watching tv after dinner. I was in the next room reading the mail she brought me from school and getting ready to tack up the new schedule on our message board. I hear a thump and look up to see the baby had rolled off the couch and on to the floor and rolled once more before coming to a stop. DD was in tears, but thankfully not hysterical. I got ds nursed and calmed and checked him out, checked his pupils and he seemed just fine, just really mad at falling! I had considered going to the hospital with him, but he seemed ok, you know, laughing, kicking and nursing just fine. So I decided to just stay home and keep an eye on him. Today his still doing fine and I'm glad we skipped waiting around for hours in a germy waiting room just to hear a doctor say we can go home.
So, erm, moral of story: watch them rolly babies!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#2 of 165 Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM

thanks for starting the thread, mama! what an evening, for all of you!! glad ds is okay, and i hope dd isn't too traumatized!

all's well around here... just plugging along and enjoying our last little one. bittersweet, for sure. i'm so grateful that i can be home with my littlest ones, yet it still seems to be flying by so fast!

hope everyone else is doing well... i miss our ddc chatter from prior to our babies' arrivals ~ although i totally get it! there rarely seems to be a spare moment!
#3 of 165 Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. So sad our old thread is gone, but then we are approaching 4 mos. and I guess at some point we have to face the fact that we are no longer pregnant anymore. : ) Forgot how fun this age is and am just loving my lo. So so cute - she giggled when I tickled her tonight.

Things are so busy with three that poor lo is always falling asleep in the car seat from here to there. Looking for a week when I can just be home and not running around, but it is not happening - Dr.'s appts, etc. - things just always come up!

I cannot believe that the holidays are around the corner! Where does time go!?!?!?

Hope everyone is well!!!!!!!
#4 of 165 Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 PM

Can I sneak in because Wyatt was born on the 30th of June ALMOST July

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#5 of 165 Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Terrilein! Glad your LO is okay.

I can't believe how fast time is going by and I can't believe my little Ainsley is already 3 months old. I keep wanting time to slow down and want to freeze for a little while........she's a such a sweet little baby and I'm still trying to soak all that in. She's up to 15 pounds now (born at 8lbs3oz) so she has almost doubled her birth weight in 3 months. She is a big "talker", lots of cooing and gives us huge smiles that take over her whole face She has laughed a few times.....the first time was for her Nan, second for Dad and third for me. She started rolling front to back around 9 weeks and is now starting to show interest in back to front but I think that's a ways off. I'm still amazed at what a content baby she is (completely different from her big sis) and really praying she stays this way. Anyway, she is delightful

Mya is doing fairly well with but we are struggling a little bit with tantrums lately (she's 3). I think we had such an easy 2 that we are in for some trouble with 3. I think she's had more tantrums in the past month then she did as a 2 year old. The good days or times are awesome but the bads are quite trying........still trying to figure this out.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#6 of 165 Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the thread!

I think we are somewhere between 14-15 pounds, and 24", at 3 months old. Not bad for up from 6 lbs 3 oz at birth!

Our biggest issue is stubborn burps - sometimes he has a really hard time getting them out, then he won't nurse, can't sleep, so gets super cranky...and the crankier he gets, the harder it is to get them out. He also hates to be worn if he has a burp. When he doesn't have a burp he's such a happy baby! It's like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

No rolling yet here, but he is doing great at holding his head up while on his tummy now. He doesn't like doing it for too long though. He loves being read to, and when I sing him silly songs. We got a little high chair that attaches to our table, and we've started sitting him in that propped up with lots of blankets, and he seems to enjoy it.

He still likes to be swaddled to fall asleep, although he doesn't need it to stay asleep (he usually gets his arms out in his sleep and it doesn't wake him up). Not sure how to transition him to sleep sacks...I tried once and he didn't go for it. Guess I will keep trying.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#7 of 165 Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM

We're hanging in here too! Things were a little crazy in the beginning, adjusting to life with two, but seem to have settled down a bit (for now!) In the craziness I totally forgot to check and see if we had a thread here, I'm glad I found it again!

Terrilein, I'm glad your little guy was okay after his roll off the couch. So scary!
lrgs, we've got the tantrums going on here to. No advice though, only commiserations.
mommariffic, what time was he born, was it more towards the morning or evening

I've been a little bummed recently, I used to take my DS to my SIL and watch her two 3yos while she went to work. Now with having an infant and a toddler, on top of driving aggravating my prolapse, I couldn't do it. Her house isn't conducive to me caring for my own children, there is no place for baby to sleep safely, there are expensive electronics everywhere my DS wants to play with and can't, the cleaning lady comes once a week disturbing everything and using nasty chemicals, etc. It just wasn't working out well. We tried her bringing the kids to me (at a 40% pay cut since she was driving 1/2 hour out of her way) but she couldn't do it. It seems that no matter what her life is more stressful than anyone she knows. Any straw will break her camel's back, DH says she has always been that way.

She found a friend who would watch them at her house 2 days a week and was bringing them here the other days. Now she is still using the friend for two days, but has enrolled them in preschool the other days. I'm a back up in case the friend can't do it, or preschool is closed but work isn't. Which isn't often. I'm a bit bitter I guess. I understand that taking them to me is a 1/2 hour out of her way, I wouldn't want to do it myself so I don't blame her, but I still do in a way. And some of it is my fault, I suppose. I don't want her kids if they are sick. If they were coming here every day, that would be different, my kids would already have been exposed before we realized anyone was sick so unless she thought a trip to the doctor was warranted then I'd watch them no problem. Now that they are coming only once or twice a month, the 50 bucks isn't worth dealing with a sick toddler and infant for a week. I also wouldn't watch them the days following their flu shot. I firmly believe that people who get the flu shot spread it to those of us who haven't. I may be wrong, but that is my problem. I don't need to risk it.

The loss of income is really going to hurt. DH is talking about getting a second job somewhere but he already works long hours 6 days a week, so I don't know where he would fit one it. Any suggestions for legitimate work from home stuff?

On happier notes my kids are darlings and I love them to pieces (most of the time ). Phaedra is still in bed with us so when I wake up in the morning I put a pillow on either side of her so that she can't roll off while I'm gone (rolly babies here too, Terrilein!). When she wakes up I have to dart into the room before her brother gets to her (he has supersonic hearing or something I swear!) Yesterday I wasn't quick enough and when I got there he had picked her up and put her on her belly on the floor next to him (he's 2). She wasn't hurt and was laying there happy as could be, but still, it's not safe.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#8 of 165 Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

bumping for some mamas who were asking about the thread.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#9 of 165 Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM

How are your babes sleeping? Wyatt is not the best napper in the world, and instead of taking any long naps now decided he wants to cat-nap throughout the day. The good news is does have a "bed time" routine down, and although he's waking up for night feedings, he doesn't get up get up.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#10 of 165 Old 11-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Phaedra is an awful napper. She only wants to sleep while I'm holding her (like right now, lol!). She to ends up taking a lot of cat naps. I try and lay her down because it isn't fair to her brother who is 2 for mommy to devote all her time to holding a sleeping baby. If she is asleep during DS's nap, I'll hold her so that she gets in a good nap and use the time to do stuff at the computer, or read, or eat lunch, but if he is up I put her down in her crib and I'm lucky if she lasts 5 minutes.

She is in bed with us at night and use to let us get a lot of sleep but the past several nights has been soo gassy and uncomfortable. I think it is the broccoli we had several nights this week, with DS nothing I ate ever bothered him but apparently DD is a bit more sensitive. She seriously must have tooted for ten minutes straight. Well, not one long uninterrupted toot, but a lot of them. She was much happier afterward though.

Anyone else dealing with a sensitive to your diet nursling?

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#11 of 165 Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 PM

I found ya! Thanks ladies, I'll be back, life is crazy as always...you know how it goes LOL

E is 3 months old and perfect, she's still on the apnea monitor at night and I'm fine with that, as she still regurgitates a lot and gags/chokes when she's on her back and I do worry that it will happen the ONE time I'm not there and...ugh.

Otherwise all is perfectly well, she's the sweetest most laid back baby, totally awesome personality and smiles at everyone!

Glad to see so many of us here!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#12 of 165 Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Hi everyone!

Stella is doing great! She's my long and lean baby-I think 63 cm and 6.3 kilos (about 13.5 pounds). She's super physical-rolling all over her crib and "connecting" her rolls so she lands off her playmat or rug from time to time. It is super fun to watch, but I think it is ruining her already awful sleep. She likes to practice for several 1 hour periods each night (like 4-5 a.m.). So not fun. My Dh is traveling back to the States this week leaving me solo with the kiddies and I am exhausted. I feel like I am up a gazillion times a night and it just keeps getting worse! Is this the four month sleep regression? How long does it last? She is more predictable during the day-usually napping around 9, 1, and 4:45. Her naps were super short, but lately I've been able to stretch them out a bit.

My nanny is dying to start Stella on juice or fruit! In Brazil a fresh squeezed mild orange juice is introduced first followed by single fruits. We aren't doing this, but I find it interesting to learn about the different ways people raise babies around the world!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#13 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yey it's great to see you all!

Konrad was 16 weeks old on Monday and I can't believe it! He is a big boy 7.5 kgs (i think 16.5 lbs) now and pretty long (I haven't measured him in a while). He doesn't look really chubby though, he doesn't have lots of rolls or anything, he's just big and hefty! He's a pretty happy boy, he loves when I sing to him and read to him and he smiles and giggles all the time. He is grabbing and chewing everything and we can't survive car rides without Sophie- he loves her! He's not quite rolling yet. He can roll up onto his side from his back, but he doesn't follow through onto his tummy.

Other things are going pretty well. Breastfeeding which was once SUCH challenge for us is now a BREEZE! And I'm thankful for that because it seems sometimes it's the only thing that calms him down when he is upset. I can't believe just a while ago I thought I would have to give up breastfeeding because of our multitude of problems- they all just seemed to disappear and we settled into it and now I actually like it. One thing that is still a challenge for us- NIP. I can't really do it. I'm still awkward with positioning especially because he's so big and KICKS like crazy now. I'm a slave to the boppy and without it, I'm lost.

Sleep- we've had our issues and they seem to change every week. For the past month or so I've been focusing on getting Rad down for naps at regular times and for decent amounts of time. It got easy when I really learned his schedule and his tired times/optimal nap times. They are around 8:30 am, 11:30 am, and 3:30 pm. I can nurse him down most of the time but sometimes have to bounce him on the yoga ball for 5-15 minutes. He stays down for a minimum of 30 minutes, more if I nap with him. If I sneak in JUST as he is waking up around 25-30 mins in, I can get him back to sleep for another 30 minutes or even an HOUR. But that is rare. Without his naps he is pretty cranky so it's a top priority around here. We start his bedtime routine (bath, massage, song, feeding) at 7pm and have found that when we skip it because we get home late or whatever, the night is awful!

Oh and just recently he is SCREAMING and SCREECHING all the time! Mostly in delight, sometimes is seems just to hear himself. It's cute but can be jarring. And for a long time now he makes what we call "zombie baby" noises- this drawn-out grunting thing. And of course he has the occasional coos and babbles.

He is outgrowing everything so fast these days. Right now he is wearing 6-12 mos clothing and some of those are even small on him. He's going to be big like his daddy I guess and not small like me!

I've recently read The Read Aloud Handbook and LOVED it- I recommend it to everyone and I'm going to add it to my recommended must-haves for any of my girlfriends who are having their first babes. I've been reading tons lately and it's one thing I love about being a SAHM.

Glad to read all the updates on everyone's babes! We should share some photos too!!!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#14 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

I've recently read The Read Aloud Handbook and LOVED it- I recommend it to everyone and I'm going to add it to my recommended must-haves for any of my girlfriends who are having their first babes. I've been reading tons lately and it's one thing I love about being a SAHM.

Glad to read all the updates on everyone's babes! We should share some photos too!!!
Looks like MDC is changing soon and we can share photos easier!

I am going to check out that book you recommend, even though I think I am pretty entertaining when I read (as long as nobody else is around!) haha!!! I start books to the baby and she just beams, it's so cute.

Terrilein, I'm glad your baby is okay! I think that probably happens more than people admit. I was a nanny once for a family who had a 3mo old and for some reason she slept on a full bed. She was crying so I went to check on her...she had rolled off the bed and all the way under the middle of the bed so all I saw was an empty bed that sounded like it was crying. It was very strange. Poor kid!

Sleeping....yes, interesting. DD sleeps fine at night, but recently she has decided to wake every half hour from about 8-11, I have no idea why! After that, especially after we go to bed she sleeps silently all night with the occasional babble fest.

Naptime is totally different though, she sleeps in the wrap. She will sleep for 3 hours for the first nap and about 1-2 for the second, although that one is getting shorter! (scary since my dd1 gave up naps at 18mos altogether) I think she is on a good schedule with some flexibility but I don't know what to do about her sleeping in the wrap, I can't do that forever! It's hard on my body! I just thought if I got her on a schedule and used to longer naps maybe she will stick to the schedule when I am brave enough to lay her down! (I just can't risk it with midterms etc it's the only time I can do homework!)

She laughs and smiles and does all those things that melt your heart! she is soooo talkative. She talks constantly, not sure what she's saying, but she is entertaining herself!

She still basically wants to be held all the time. I'm so used to it I miss her if someone else holds her for a while, or when she's sleeping at night.

Do any of your babies have what seems like "stranger anxiety?" I was going to post in the main forum because I can't leave her at all. I don't want to but tonight I had a meeting to go to for only an hour and she flipped out and screamed hysterically the whole time. I felt bad for her and DH! She went to sleep doing that post-cry hiccup thing. I'm just not sure if this is normal. She doesn't like being held by other people, even dh! She just wants me to hold her all the time. I can't remember this as bad with dd1.

Otherwise I am just so in love with her. I love being able to lay in bed and just stare at her when she sleeps.

Stressful but so great!

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#15 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oh I was just thinking about our ddc and am so happy to see all you gals here! It's so nice to hear everyone's updates and to hear that all our babies are doing well. Interesting that there are similarities and differences.

Ds is now 3 mos. and 3 weeks. He smiles and giggles a lot and is sooooo cute! He doesn't talk much... I know he can 'coo' and 'ahh' but he listens a lot and doesn't say much. That could be because he is surrounded by his NOISY sisters and Mama who chat, laugh, scream and even (gulp) yell. I am curious to see when he starts to get going with language more. My friend's aunt can get him babbling - why can't I?

Ds rolls from his tummy to his back and can roll on to his stomach sometimes but gets cross when he does. He is strong and beautiful. He has these thick strong leg muscles, like his daddy, and I just LOVE them! I keep squishing his little thighs and legs. He's so cute, gives me so many adoring smiles, and I love him so much.

He's probably around 15.5 or 16 lbs now and wearing 3-6 and 6-9 mo. clothes.

Things have been very hectic around here. My 2 y.o. has swung full-on into the NO stage of toddlerdom. This quiet, agreeable, loving little girl is now lying on the floor in full-on kicking screaming tantrums (in public too - which I LOVE - not!), says no to everything, cries a lot. It's been trying my patience. I am ashamed to admit I've lost it a few times... but I am human and just pick up the pieces and try again! I am really enjoying my 5 y.o. dd who is a great helper. I love watching both girls give love and attention to ds and play with him. He's really lucky to have two loving great sisters.

Both girls go to school - dd1 to SK and dd2 to nursery school - in the mornings. I am really glad and see that dd2 is flourishing in that environment. It's so much fun to see her learn new things. Developmentally she finally seems ready and interested in doing some things that she wasn't so interested in before (like learning her colours and counting) - now she's getting it! Yay dd2!

Again, it's really good to see you girls here. I miss our ddc. Things are kind of lonely as a SAHM sometimes. I enjoy it when we go to the park and see other kids and moms and stuff. I joined our nursery school's board of directors and am getting more involved in our local doula association. I need to do some things to stimulate my mind or I'll just go bonkers. Trying to take care of myself, you see? Have been doing belly dance once a week and have a nice teen babysitter who loves the kids and kids love her.

Okay, be well everyone!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#16 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

so good to see you all! I've been missing our daily/weekly chats so much.

Fritz had his U4/well-baby visit today and weighed in at 6960 gr (15 lbs 5 oz) and measured 65 cm (25.5 in) long. Yeah, mama milk!

Our pedi is really cool out the vax situation, asked if we'd be doing any at all today (yes, as we have lots of school kid contact / use public transportation), and doesn't like vaxing for every little thing either. So we got the DTaP, HiB and are skipping Hep B and pneumonococcol disease. MMR at 12 months and no chicken pox.

What threw me off at this visit was his mentioning that babies with an allergy risk should start weaning earlier than previously recommended. I said I'd wait for signs of readiness and if he's lucky he'll get some Christmas goose. I'd personally rather wait 6 months. Does anyone have any information regarding this new rec? I forgot to ask him about it.

#17 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
so good to see you all! I've been missing our daily/weekly chats so much.

Fritz had his U4/well-baby visit today and weighed in at 6960 gr (15 lbs 5 oz) and measured 65 cm (25.5 in) long. Yeah, mama milk!

Our pedi is really cool out the vax situation, asked if we'd be doing any at all today (yes, as we have lots of school kid contact / use public transportation), and doesn't like vaxing for every little thing either. So we got the DTaP, HiB and are skipping Hep B and pneumonococcol disease. MMR at 12 months and no chicken pox.

What threw me off at this visit was his mentioning that babies with an allergy risk should start weaning earlier than previously recommended. I said I'd wait for signs of readiness and if he's lucky he'll get some Christmas goose. I'd personally rather wait 6 months. Does anyone have any information regarding this new rec? I forgot to ask him about it.
Weaning early for allergy risks seems counter-intuitive to me...As far as I understood things, breastmilk is non-allergenic. i.e. if a baby has a milk allergy, he may be sensitive to milk in your diet but won't break out in hives or start throwing up violently. I would think that maintaining a breastfeeding relationship while introducing solids would allow you to be more selective in your food choices without worrying that baby was getting all the nutrients he needed...BUT, I'm not a lactation consultant or a doctor or even an experienced mother so I don't really know.

Finn is growing like a weed! He's in the 97%ile for height and head circumfrence. he's at least 16lbs by now. He's chewing on everything and babbling a lot, especially when I'm trying to get a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning! He's rolling onto his side from his back but that's it so far. He's loving tummy time and has starting trying to scootch himself forward. He's a SUCKY napper but sleeps great at night, so I can't complain!

He smiles lots and has started to giggle and he's beautiful and amazing!
#18 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The Read Aloud Handbook and LOVED it-
Hands down my absolute favorite book as both a parent and a teacher. Life changing even after 5 years of Ed. School. Buy it now!

I actually sent Jim Trelease a photo of all the board books we keep in the bidet in the kids bathroom to keep them reading all the time! I hope Stella follows in their footsteps!

What are your favorite to read aloud to Konrad?
Stella loves Moo, Baa, La La La, Barnyard Dance, Hey! Wake Up, Good Night Moon and My World

I've always loved anything by Mem Fox!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#19 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 PM

Hi!

I've been MIA recently--I started my new job in October (long story short: I got "let go for economic reasons" when I was 8 months pregnant). It's a slight pay cut from my old job, but the benefits are WAY better, there are no weird night meetings that go until all hours, and it's closer. My office door has a lock and my name on it, so pumping's easy.

Ellison is a bit over 3 months old now, and is gigantic. And photogenic. I may post some images once we're able here. He loves to be read to--Pat the Bunny (his big sister's favorite to read to him), Newsweek (hey, it's shiny), whatever. He's smiling, laughing occasionally, sleeping fitfully but enough.

Ellison's dad's staying home with him for now, but is running for office, so we may need care for him soon.

Terrilein: You mean "weaning" in the "starting solids" sense, right? I've heard that a little dairy-based formula early can head off allergies, but beyond that, I've not heard anything. We reluctantly did a little formula, but not for allergies-- he was very jaundiced due to an ABO incompatibility--sleeping, losing too much weight, my milk took forever to come in and another forever for nursing to actually go well because of the emergency c-section, and he needed calories to get the billirubin out.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#20 of 165 Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 PM

Here are a couple of recent pictures of DS:

With one of our whippets
Shopping for his first motorbike

And something big happened today...he held himself sitting upright for about 10 seconds! I couldn't believe it! We had just finished nursing, he was sitting sideways on my legs with his feet dangling, and I had my arms encircled around him while I fastened my tank back up. I then realized that I wasn't supporting him and he held that pose for a few more seconds. I was hanging out at a breastfeeding support group so I have witnesses.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#21 of 165 Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

@Proto - yeah, well technically starting solids is weaning, but hey, I don't plan on being done anytime soon. From what I've gathered, some German scientists did studies and came to the conclusion that it's better for kids at risk for allergies to start solids early and build up a tolerance to typical allergenes than it is to avoid allergenic foods altogether. But a quick google didn't come up with many links discussing this new information so I'm going to just take it with a grain of salt. Maybe we'll start solids around Christmas maybe not. I'll wait for signs that he's ready.

We're just hanging on these days. DP went back to work 2 weeks ago - he's always away on business - and it's been so hard doing everything by myself. and this month should be a busy one: my dd will be going to a new school next year and we've got to figure out which one, meaning I get to visit all the potential ones in the evening and drag my dd on the weekends in to visit the school open house days. I neeeeeeeed a babysitter. I neeeeeed someone to come clean my home. I neeeeeeed another 10 hours of sleep. And I need a massage really badly. And it just seems like nothing wants to work out my way and finances are just laughing me in the face.

#22 of 165 Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Wow!! So great to come across this thread!! I've missed mu ddc fix Good to hear everyone is doing well and the little babies are growing big and strong!

My little one is getting quite big, just under 18lbs. (one of the first born in our ddc and had a head start at 9lbs13oz.)So we went out to buy her convertible carseat since at this rate she'll be outgrown in weight by christmas...though the winter bulky clothes make it a tight fit right now. Sigh! they grow so...so...SO fast!

She's been rolling over from back to belly for a couple of weeks now and actually enjoys tummy time. She is reaching and grabbing toys and holding on to them to chew on. She's in size 6-12, or 9 months clothing. She is already trying to grab at food from our plates and her eyes get big and she gets super chatty!! But we'll be holding off from foods until at least 6-7 months.

We're very much AP in our family style, but this little baby very clearly prefers to fall asleep by herself no fussing. dd1 was very much a mamas girl, needed(stilldoes) tons of mamamilk and cuddles to fall asleep. But this baby only nurses when hungry, does not ask for the breast for comfort, hates the milk let down when she's not hungry... does not like being snuggled to sleep!! I love her to bits for all her personality! And she's just so easy and happy. It's lovely. But so different. Babies have so much to teach us about our world.

DD1, 2.5, has been a real handfull. It seems no matter what I do, she ''just wants mama''. I've been doing everything I can to support her through this transition, but it's been an adjustment for her. But, she may have been acting this way regardless of baby, being 2.5 and all. Who knows!

So great to ''see'' everyone together again!!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#23 of 165 Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Noah's mommy- I agree that it's weird how differently people raise babies around the world, you would think a baby is a baby and they pretty much all need the same thing, right? I supposed we all interpret how to provide what they need differently.

expat-mama- I hear you on the screeching. The other morning Phaedra woke up screeching and from where I was at the other side of the house I thought for sure that it was the squealing of breaks right before a car accident. Nope! Just a baby happy to be awake Yay for happy breastfeeding! NIP got easier for me eventually (with DS) so now I guess I'm a pro. Hopefully that is the case for you to, but at least it is going better at home

Surfacing- I hear you on the bit of loneliness as a SAHM. Now that I'm home all day everyday instead of going to my SIL's to watch her kids I start getting starved for interaction with people taller than my waist and who aren't looking at me like I'm dinner. I'm not supposed to drive (aggravates my prolapse) and there is nothing close enough to walk to. I actually started a blog last month to alleviate some of the loneliness and pursue my hobbies (cooking and photography) which I am really enjoying, a bunch of us are doing a countdown to Christmas by baking cookies on Fridays. It sounds like you are taking steps to keep yourself from being neglected both mentally and physically, good for you!

Terrilien- I'd agree with what others have said about weaning early being counter intuitive. It would seem to me that what makes more sense would be to eat as wide and varied a healthy diet as you can so that you are exposing Fritz to as much as possible through your breastmilk. I know it gets broken down a lot but I'm sure something comes through (my pedi. says that virtually nothing passes through into your milk but I know that isn't true, why would nursing momma's not be able to take certain medications, or if they eat certain foods why is there baby sick/colicy/whatever until they eliminate it from their diet? Sorry tangent, he's a good Pediatrician in every other regard-specifically in our non-vax stance).

matthia- don't you just LOVE baby giggles and belly laughs? I swear, Phaedra is the most ticklish baby I've ever known. When we tickle her, she snorts and squirms and laughs, the whole time with a huge drooly toothless grin.

ProtoLawyer- It's so sweet that you DSD is reading to her brother. I know there were various issues with her while you were pregnant, have things gotten any better? I hope so! With DS it was two weeks before my milk came in, we got donor milk from my SIL for a few days but she couldn't keep it up so we ended up doing a few days with formula too. That was probably the most emotional and upsetting time in my life to date, I felt like such a failure and angry at all the women in the world whose milk came in and they chose to bottle feed instead (ridiculous, but true). I'm glad your milk came in for you. It's so nice that your DH gets to be home with Ellison, even if it is temporary it is still such a sweet early bonding opportunity for the two of them. And congrats on your new job! Sometimes great benefits are worth more than a great paycheck.

somegirl99- he looks so big! Look at all that gorgeous dark hair, what a cutie He'll be sitting up for real soon enough, I can't believe how time has flown by already, where is the pause button, lol.

mamakaikai- I hear you on the 2 yo handful, my DS is 2 as well and keeps switching between "smlovering" his sister and throwing fits. We recently switched our focus for the evenings, after we all eat dinner and clean up together there is about 1-1.5 hours before bedtime routine so we sit on the floor and play (or nurse!) all together. It seems to be helping, he's been melting down less during the day and going to sleep easier at night once we are done. Before we use to one watch the kids as the other accomplished something (chores, etc.) but DS ended up spending a lot of time in trouble. We actually can accomplish a lot more after he goes to bed because he is going to bed so much nicer so we actually get more done and more time to ourselves.

Sorry, I'm longwinded I mostly lurked on our DDC because I was working, but both the kids are napping simultaneously at the moment (is it a blue moon?) so I got some mommy time

#24 of 165 Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 AM

I found this thread again!
Konrad has joined in on the rolling- just yesterday! He rolled from his back to his tummy while under his play gym and he did it about 4 more times this morning! I thought back-to-tummy rolling was harder/came later than tummy-to-back rolling? Anyway, he can't go from his tummy to his back, so once he rolled over he was really happy for a few minutes, then upset because he wanted to be flipped onto his back so he could swat at the toys on his gym again. And he did this over and over this morning! Sheesh!

It's such an exciting time and it's so nice to hear how some mamas and babies from our DDC are doing.

Somegirl99- Marlowe is a SWEETIE PIE! And what a nice head of hair!

MORE PICTURES wanted here!

Here are some of Rad:
Halloween smiley pumpkin.

16 week-old lovey!

We measure his growth in photos with a stuffed giraffe every month/4 weeks. This photo compares 0 weeks with 16 weeks.

I was trying to get out of the house more often and was successful for a few weeks- then my milk supply started going wonky because of all the pumped bottles and missed feedings (I don't really NIP, and it really isn't common/accepted here) and Konrad was always grumpy from missing naps. He really likes being on a rigid nap schedule. Now I only go out once or twice a day for really short errands or walks. I go a little batty staying home so much and would really love to get us out to the pool again a couple times a week. DH is complaining on the weekends about DS's schedule and how DS seems so dependent on it. How do you mamas manage if your babes need structure like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah's mommy View Post
Hands down my absolute favorite book as both a parent and a teacher. Life changing even after 5 years of Ed. School. Buy it now!

I actually sent Jim Trelease a photo of all the board books we keep in the bidet in the kids bathroom to keep them reading all the time! I hope Stella follows in their footsteps!

What are your favorite to read aloud to Konrad?
Stella loves Moo, Baa, La La La, Barnyard Dance, Hey! Wake Up, Good Night Moon and My World

I've always loved anything by Mem Fox!
Konrad seems to love anything that rhymes and has a rhythm to it- we read him Dr Seuss, a few pages at a time and he has favourite pages in each one that he really responds to. He loves Bedtime in the Jungle by John Butler- we read that one to him when I was pregnant. I just ordered Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young. He loves listening to us read anything and he likes these two soft books with crinkly pages about animals that I got for him.

We are a no-TV family so Rad is learning that books and music are a big part of everyday life around here!

So cool that you sent the author a picture! I haven't visited his website yet but it sounds like it will be useful too.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#25 of 165 Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Protolawyer - good to hear from you! I had to chuckle when I read that your baby likes shiny, colourful Newsweek.

Somegirl99 - I love the picture of your baby checking out his first motorcycles. SO cute! So cool how he sat for about 10 seconds. As early as 4 months or maybe more like 5 months they're supposed to be able to start doing that (while leaning forward)... you're seeing inklings of it now! Cool! Btw, your dog is really beautiful.

Terrlilein - I sooo hear you on needing a massage, housecleaner, sleep, etc. etc. Is there someone around you can barter/trade any of your needed stuff with? A Mama friend and I are working out a schedule for a couple of months whereby we watch each other's kids for a few hours once a week so the other one can go for that massage, or to the dentist, or do some sewing, or sleeping, or whatever. And I asked her to help me with some cleaning in exchange for kid watching a couple of times. It helps us both because we're low on $$$. Or do you have a young person nearby who could watch the kiddos even for an hour (mother's helper) for like $5/hr? Or in exchange for some yummy pantry items or a CD or DVD or something?

Mamakaikai - yeah, so interesting how our babies can be so different from one another. About your 2.5 y.o. - I think it's a developmental thing too, regardless of whether baby would be there or not.

SpuglyRoo - nice to hear you found a way to make evenings more enjoyable for ds and yourselves. Funny how a small change can make a big difference.

Expatmama, your Konrad is SOOOOOOO cute! I can't believe how big he's getting! (Like all of our babies ) About needing a schedule - some babies are just like that, they need their naps at a certain time every day. Your dh might consider the benefits of your baby's biorhythm being predictable that way. Some peoples' babies don't seem to have a consistent time when they are hungry or sleepy, etc.

Over here - where do I begin? It's always crazy busy. Late last week I did something to my neck and have been going for chiro and massage appts since. So brutal! It's very difficult to keep up with the three kiddos when my neck/shoulder/back is out like that. We spent most afternoons and evenings indoors last week. Lately I haven't been going to bellydance but bringing the babysitter and then sleeping for those couple of hours! I'm finding it tough when the kids fight and don't listen and sometimes I lose my cool... then regret it after... need to brush up on some positive parenting strategies. So much to say.... just glad to see you girls here and hope everyone is hanging in!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#26 of 165 Old 11-08-2010, 04:29 PM

I've missed you all!!
Will come back tomorrow to post...need some zzzzzzs now

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#27 of 165 Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I am posting real quick and can hopefully start to semi keep up.
DS is a little sweet heart. He is the most smiley giggly of my 3.
He is 3 mths and a bit over 17 pounds a few weeks ago.
He is a boob-a-holic but also has pretty bad reflux
I am hoping that in a month or so i can give him some banana and that will help.
My other kids stopped puking as bad after they started some solids.
The older 2 adore him so that is nice.
#28 of 165 Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM

Wow!  Everything looks so different here, I'm not sure if I like it yet but I know that I'll get use to it.  It's starting to get really cold out and I'm loving the season change, but it is more of a production to take the little one out now so that her brother can play.  Not only that, but she is done looong before he is ready to come in.  I've been trying to strategically time it so that he has something inside that he wants instead of just coming in without a plan.  Right now snack or lunch help him to happily come inside.

I can't believe how fast Phaedra is growing.  She still is tiny compared to her brother but she is heartier now and can stand up to more of his loving assaults than before.  For a long time she was sleeping through dinnertime, it was a short nap but it gave me an opportunity to eat with two hands instead of one.  She gave that up recently and since the time change is miserably cranky when tired but is refusing to nap.  Why do my kids hate sleep!? Naptime is supposed to be when I can get something done.  I'm going to have to reevaluate that soon.  There are only so many thing you can do with one hand and a baby on your hip (she hates the slings) and not only that, but trying to do even those things aggravates my prolapse.

I've noticed that she is recently really intrigued whenever we are eating things.  When she is ready we are going to do baby led weaning like we did with DS, but are any other babies starting to notice food?

#29 of 165 Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Terrlilein - I sooo hear you on needing a massage, housecleaner, sleep, etc. etc. Is there someone around you can barter/trade any of your needed stuff with? A Mama friend and I are working out a schedule for a couple of months whereby we watch each other's kids for a few hours once a week so the other one can go for that massage, or to the dentist, or do some sewing, or sleeping, or whatever. And I asked her to help me with some cleaning in exchange for kid watching a couple of times. It helps us both because we're low on $$$. Or do you have a young person nearby who could watch the kiddos even for an hour (mother's helper) for like $5/hr? Or in exchange for some yummy pantry items or a CD or DVD or something?

At the moment it seems to be getting a little better. I still need the massage, but I've also got a nifty massaging thingy from my b-day - just strap it on a chair, plug it in, program it and you're good to go. It's great, but it's not a real massage. Housecleaning? We set up a cleaning plan here at home a neat little circular deal with everyone's name on it and revolving centerpieces with chores on them. DD is a slacker, but atm she really needs to keep her grades up to get a recommendation for the Germany Gymnasium. So I'm keeping my complaining to a minimum since she is stressed. I mean, can you imagine being sent to high school at 9 years old??? These poor kids have to practically decide what they want to do for the rest of their lives at the tender age of 9/10, then make the grade to get the proper recommendation. Sheesh.

Anyhow, I would so much like somebody to come over and babysit for a few hours so that I can get some sewing done. It's going to be horribly cold here soon and I want to sew an insert into my coat so that I can keep Fritz covered in his sling and keep me from freezing, too. I know just who I'm going to ask AND she's offered to help me with the cleaning - she's a professional cleaner - I just have to find out when she's got time. That or I'll send DP off for a long walk and hopefully I'll be done by the time he gets back.

As for the solids question, we're going to wait until he's showing some decent signs of being ready - like sitting, some hand-eye-mouth coordination, grabbing for food and losing a bit of the tongue thrust reflex. At the moment, he's got none of those down and he's almost 4 months. We got our high chair yesterday - a TrippTrapp from Stokke - and I plopped him in, and he's all happy, but he's obviously so not ready to be sitting in it for long periods yet. I wonder when I can safely put him in? Is it ok to let him learn to sit up in a high chair by putting him in it a few times a day for short periods or am I going to wreck his back? Anyhow, he can stuff things in his mouth, but he's still all wobbly about it, and although he looks at food and us eating with great interest, he hasn't tried feeding himself yet. He's had his hands in butter and steak juice, but never once tried to lick his fingers afterwards. So, we're waiting a bit first.

#30 of 165 Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Hi everyone!  I was thinking about us this morning, and although I'm a newbie and I didn't post much, I sure did miss keeping up with you all!  So I'm very glad that I found "us"!

Things are going very well here.  India turned 4 months this week, and it wasn't as traumatic as I expected. I have loved this new stage of life, and I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it!  She is a tiny, skinny little girl at 13lb 4oz, 24 in long.  In her newborn stage she was around 75th percentile on length but has now dropped to the 40th percentile on height and weight. Did anyone else' LO's sprout up really fast, then slow down?  It just has me a little worried, because DH & I are both tall and we were both off the charts as infants.

Nursing has been great from Day 1.  Doing my research on starting solids, but man, my MIL can't stop asking when she's going to start so she can feed her!  MIL thinks she's going to soon share french fries with my DD... I think MIL is in for a surprise!  India has a good nap routine down, now that I, shhhhhh, let her sleep on her tummy.  She would never nap before that, and it was really starting to impact the rest of her day(s) and nighttime sleep.  She also goes to sleep on her own - no rocking, no nursing - makes me very sad sometimes, but she won't have it any other way.  She wakes up every night around 3 or 4 to eat.  After going to bed between 8:00-9:30, I wish she would wake an hour or so earlier because so far I have no signs of my fertility returning, but that many hours between feedings makes me nervous!  She then wakes up again around 6 or 7 to eat again, and then back to sleep until 8 or 9.  We've been very spoiled with her - everyone keeps warning us to be ready to really get it with #2!

She's rolled over a couple of times, but that's it. She likes to "stand", read Sandra Boynton books, meet and "talk" with everyone she can, chew on Sophie, play in her exersaucer and absolutely LOVES to dance and be sung to!  Good thing, because I'm a piano & voice teacher!  She is very vocal & has been since the beginning, and let's just say she gets intense with her communication sometimes!  Anyone who is around her knows what she wants!  My DH  & I are still on Cloud 9 with her....so in love!

Has anyone's LO cut a tooth yet?

I've never shared any pics of her, so here's 5 pics, birth to 4 months!

My baby, month by month

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page