how old would you baby have to be before you gave them pizza crusts - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: how old would your baby have to be for pizza crusts?
around the time they are eating solid foods 72 100.00%
never before 1-2 years old 25 100.00%
never before 3-4 years old 1 25.00%
other - please explain 3 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
poll has been added, but please explain too :0

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#2 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM

I chose "other" because I honestly don't know. We're going grain-free until at least a year, hopefully closer to 2 years, so definitely not before that. But unless it's a good, wholegrain crust, I'm not sure I want her eating pizza at all until school-ish age. I've had so many digestive issues all my life from refined grain products, and diabetes on top of that. I want to spare my daughter those issues as best I can.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM

I make homemade pizza about once a week and DS gets a piece. He has really only been interested in the crust recently though (he is 16mo).
#4 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 PM

i chose around solid food time bc my lo stole it off my plate and wouldnt give it back at 6 mo. but i like pps reasons for not doing it yet.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 PM

That's one of the first items my dd would gnaw on! Totally practical solution if you don't care for pizza crusts. Your baby will thank you.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#6 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I did around 9 months, but regretted it since my baby has eczema and am now not doing grains at all.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#7 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

i should add, my little guy won't be getting one until he's about a year old, mostly because at almost 9 months, he's completely uninterested in "real" food. you can hand him a piece of banana and he has a blast smashing it and throwing it, but not one little bit of it gets in his mouth.

the reason i started the poll was a picture on a facebook page. i don't want to give more details yet b/c i don't want to mess with the results, but will give more details in a little while.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#8 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM

whenever, really. seems like a good self-feeding snack to me. of course, we're vegan, so don't usually order in pizza, but if i made some, i really can't see why i wouldn't. none of us are sensitive to grains at all. i might wait for longer if we had any concerns about that.
#9 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM

I think I started doing homemade pizza at 7-8 months for her and will now give her a whole slice (cut up, of course) of leftover order out (unless I ate it all up!)

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#10 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM
MJB

We have homemade pizza and a movie every Friday night and my 3.5 mo. old will be eating pizza in a few months. I know my middle son was eating whole pieces of pizza around 8-9 mos.
#11 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 02:41 PM

This was one of the first things we gave DS to gnaw on, I voted 6 months or so. BUT it is brick oven sort of pizza from a local bistro, not delivery or frozen pizza. now at 11 months he will eat small pieces with cheese and sauce on it. He hasn't seemed to have any issues with grains and there isn't a family history of food allergies.

ETA: I am one of those people who have posted pictures of her child eating pizza crust on FB

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#12 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Grain free for min 1 year....longer if I can. I'm not worried about pizza crust vs another grain because I make my own as healthy with good ingredients.
#13 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Whenever I start grains... breads, pitas, pancake, pizza crust are all in the same category for me... I make all my own of those so I know what is in them...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#14 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM

If it was my own homemade pizza-- as soon as they are physically able to manage it. So maybe seven or eight months? Mine is only soaked whole wheat flour, olive oil, salt, and water, so there's nothing worrisome in there, to me-- although some folks avoid grains in the first year, I don't. I go for whole grains that have been soaked or fermented to be more digestible.

But commercial pizza? It depends on where it's from. I have an ingredient list from my favorite pizza parlor, because of DS's allergies. They obviously don't soak their flour, and it's white flour, but there's nothing objectionable in there. So maybe I'd wait a few more months, but maybe not. Let's say 9 or 10 months???

If I didn't know what was in it, like if it was pizza at a party at someone's house, or if it was something like Papa Johns or Dominos that has who-knows-what in it? I might try and stall baby, and offer something else, but by around 18 months I wouldn't stop them, unless there were obvious issues like an allergy.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM

5 months, both my kids started solids around then. I know for a fact that it was the first thing we really gave DS because he was screaming bloody murder until we gave him one.

It's a great thing for them to gnaw on. Obviously it is a very personal choice considering how many are not giving any grain products.

My DS does have an allergy to sesame seeds, but that wasn't discovered until he was 10 months and ate hummus, so I don't relate that to him sucking on pizza crust at 5 months.

It's funny our local little pizza place has pics of their kids as little babies with bibs, holding giant pieces of pizza and sucking on them.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#16 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

7 months...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...y/100_3296.jpg Yup thats my LO gumming down a pizza hut crust at my older DD birthday party. It was the one "treat" she got during that day its not something I'd make a huge habit of but we also don't eat pizza (especially take out) often..
shes ate the whole thing BTW there wasn't a single slobbery bit left...

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#17 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
tzs

right away at 6 months. like pp, i would give her a crust to gnaw on to keep her occupied if she wasn't eating other foods. i think they're great to gnaw on and we didn't delay any foods (except honey).

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#18 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

We waited until recently...but he had dairy issues until a month or so ago so it was because of that...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#19 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think that was pretty early, when she just started experimenting with solids a little.
#20 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM

DD has been eating bits and pieces of pizza crust since she was about 7-8 months old. I've never given her the entire crust because that's my favorite part, LOL! But I do pinch off pieces for her to eat.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#21 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
That's one of the first items my dd would gnaw on! Totally practical solution if you don't care for pizza crusts. Your baby will thank you.
This! Had some pizza in his little fist at 5 months. At 7.5 months my baby is REALLY into food. I think I bought about 5 little "jars" purees and he only ate one completely. The rest were a few bites and then nothing. He gets table food with us now - little bits - soft things - and pizza crusts. He really likes them. I think it feels good on the gums.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#22 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

to fill in a bit of background on the facebook comment - i didn't mean to make others feel bad! -

i was browsing through an album of photos of my great-niece and was surprised by several photos. she's 5 1/2 months old, and when the pizza crust one was taken i'd bet she was just over 5 months. i was SO shocked, to be honest, because it would never occur to me to give one to a baby that young.

i'm not even going to post my rant about her eating her "first halloween candy" photos...

#23 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
she's 5 1/2 months old, and when the pizza crust one was taken i'd bet she was just over 5 months. i was SO shocked, to be honest, because it would never occur to me
I know what you mean, but when they start grabbing it out of your hands and off your plate as your holding them in your lap, you kinda think - oh what the heck! I didn't plan to give pizza at that age - I planned on purees, but it just didn't work out that way.

PS. He steals food from his day care workers as well. That's how I finally gave up on purees.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#24 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 PM

The first and third kid had pizza crusts the next time we had pizza after they started solids (so probably 10 months for dd and 6 months for ds2.) With ds1 (the second kid) I delayed all allergens until he was close to one so he was probably 12 months when he first got pizza crust.

Mama of three.

#25 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
i'm not even going to post my rant about her eating her "first halloween candy" photos...

DS had a lollipop while we were out for halloween. and marshmallows. This is NOT an everyday occurence, but still . . .

will say, had he only been 6 months old, I would not have, but he is almost a year, and that makes a little bit of difference.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#26 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM

I think my DD's first pizza crust was at seven months? She loves it. I make our pizzas from scratch, but wouldn't really care if she ate one from a pizza shop. We are doing baby-led solids, so allowing her to chew on pretty much anything from our plates that she likes.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#27 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

i was browsing through an album of photos of my great-niece and was surprised by several photos. she's 5 1/2 months old, and when the pizza crust one was taken i'd bet she was just over 5 months. i was SO shocked, to be honest, because it would never occur to me to give one to a baby that young.
My DD ripped a ham sandwich out of my hands at about 5 months, this was after weeks of trying to keep it food out of her mouth. She grabbed that sandwich and started gnawing on it. It made her the happiest baby on the block at that moment.

I get what you are saying, but is it really that shocking? Nah, it's just a different choice than you'd make.

I've seen worse from my IL's, they do some bat sh*t crazy food stuff that I don't agree with at.all.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#28 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM

Around when they started solid food. That was around 6 months for dd and around a year for ds1. DS2 had dairy issues, so he the only pizza he had for a long time was Amy's Vegan garlic pizza, and he would eat the whole thing (not just crust) starting at around 10 months.
#29 of 41 Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Same time as everything else - ~6-9 months
#30 of 41 Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM

I give mine crust when they've been interested in eating and holding finger foods, somewhere between 7-8 months. I make homemade whole grain crust though and so I feel more comfortable with that. But then we don't have a history of grain intolerance and so I don't really worry about holding off on grains.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page