Mesh Feeders - are they worth it? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What's your take on mesh feeders?
This is a dangerous item! Don't give this to your baby! 1 1.59%
Expensive short-term investment and totally unnecessary 35 55.56%
A nice-to-have bit of baby equipment even if unnecessary 25 39.68%
Absolute must-have! Don't feed your baby without it! 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been following a few discussions on BLW since we sort of did that with my dd all those years ago. But it's been so long that I don't really remember how we made the jump from purees (which she wouldn't eat) to regular table food. But then, she refused any and all solids until she was 10 months old. Anyhow, I've read mention of mesh feeders here and there and have discovered that they're available in Germany through amazon.de and well, I'm wondering if they're worth it?

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#2 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

I really like to use ours for a couple of things. One, before Cecilia was over 6 months and before we started BLW, I would put breastmilk ice cubes in the mesh feeder and let her go to town. She loved it! And then the first food we gave her when we started BLW was avocado. Well, it's a fabulous first food, but it's awfully hard to use, because the slices stick to the highchair really strongly! So I started putting avocado in the feeder too, and it went over really well. Everything else she has tried has been whole chunks of food, but avocado is really suited to the mesh feeder.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM

I've been meaning to post and ask about these too. My mom bought one for 8 mo DD (she said it was only a few dollars... Are they more expensive in Germany?). Anyway, I haven't used it yet. I do some BLW and some puréed/mashed food. The mesh feeder just seems weird to me... Eating through a piece of mesh doesn't seem very natural. Curious what others think and how they've worked out.

BTW, I haven't had any trouble with avocado. Maybe i haven't left them on the tray long enough?

ETA: I like the idea of using it with breast milk frozen cubes.. That would be great as she's teething & pretty uncomfortable right now!
#4 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hated it at least the ones I have to clean... I loved it when All I'd do was stick an ice cube in it to entertain her and get in a touch of extra water on super hot AZ days and to aid in teething but with food nope the thing is a huge pain to clean I gave up tossed it and she does a LOT beter with whole foods.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I chose expensive short-term, but really, my issue is that THEY SUCK!!! Seriously. I used them maybe THREE times (I had two of them, so one got used twice) before I just stopped. The food just got stuck in there and it was hell to get out. I absolutely will NOT be getting them again. But, then again, I don't plan on starting solids until 9+ months this time either.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM

I really liked them. It is gross to rinse out banana and avocado but I would flip it inside out and rinse it and then hang it from the top rack in the dishwasher.
DD liked them also for teething, I would put an ice cube in it and she would just gnaw on it and it looked like it made her feel much better.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#7 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 PM

my dd1 seemed like op oldest. no interest in puree, just sudden jump to table foods (around 11m).

i got the mesh feeder to try purees another way with dd2. no go. like a pp, dd2 liked it with an ice cube to play with. but it never made the transition to food.

dd2 is now 10m and is just going straight to fingerfood. not that she's really eating much. we'll go out for chinese and dd will eat 2-3 peas from the rice. she hates to be fed, and insists on feeding herself.

so while i think a mesh feeder is nice, especially with early eaters, i could have easily lived without it. i would only recommend one if your child has already show an interest in purees and this would help you out

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 PM

I can't imagine putting purees in the mesh feeder; is that what people do with it?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#9 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM

They're pretty cheap here, so I don't feel like I wasted my money (well, if I'd paid for it, which I didn't). It doesn't get used much, but it was useful for entertaining her while we ate before she ate solids. I'd put an ice cube in there and let her suck on that. She loved it! I've tried putting banana in there, but honestly, she made just as much of a mess with that as she would have if I just mashed some banana up on her tray and let her play with it.

So I'm going with nice to have but not necessary.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#10 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM

I didn't vote, but would have had an option been: PIA to clean, skip it!

Healthcare is a human right!
#11 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM

This fellinto the category of totally unnecessary things in my book. DS went from formula to solids just fine without it (i didnt do any purees).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post
I chose expensive short-term, but really, my issue is that THEY SUCK!!! Seriously. I used them maybe THREE times (I had two of them, so one got used twice) before I just stopped. The food just got stuck in there and it was hell to get out. I absolutely will NOT be getting them again.
Ditto!!

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#13 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Well, not expensive. I think they cost me $4, but I can't figure out what to do with them. Granted we've been delaying most solids, but DD really likes eating mushy stuff with a spoon, and I think she's really going to like eating big chunks of food when we're finally able to move past rice. Avocado is a good thought, though. Thanks, Cecilia's Mama!
#14 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM

Expensive and gross to clean. I had visions of doing frozen grapes and frozen bananas. But cleaning out banana once grossed me out.
#15 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for the input ladies! FWIW, they aren't that expensive here. I was thinking that spending even $ 0.02 on the feeders might be $ 0.02 too many and therefore "expensive".

As it is, I'm leaning towards just skipping them. We obviously somehow managed to introduce tablefood with dd, I just don't remember how.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#16 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM

I think they are totally unnecessary as a feeding tool, but my DD really likes them for teething. We put ice cubes in ours and let her munch away.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#17 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM

I like them for keeping DD occuppied while I need to get something done. We've put ice, grapes, raspberries, and banana. I do not recommend putting banana in them, impossible to clean! I really like the new "sassy" brand one I got because the mesh part comes completely out - way easier to clean than the 'munchkin' ones I threw out once ds stopped using them. Not expensive IMO. Although I was wishing they could somehow come up with a disposable mesh part so I wouldn't have to clean it!

Mama to three

#18 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I personally think they're gross (sucking food through mesh... eewww) but that's just me.

Never had one, never missed it.

-Angela
#19 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 06:54 PM

In my experience, they're best for teething. We also used them for carrots. I agree with whoever said that bananas were an impossible mess.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#20 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 PM

I was just reading a great book called Child led Weaning and they said basically that the mesh feeders are totally unnecessary and to be avoided. Long before I read the book I considered getting one, but DH vetoed it saying they were a waste of money. DD is now 13 months and is eating solids just fine. I like the teething idea though...

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#21 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 AM

My DD would squeeze with her hand to make food come through, then lick her fingers. So messy, a pain to clean, and totally useless for us. She didn't like frozen fruit or ice when teething. She preferred the old fashioned frozen washcloth.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#22 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 PM

I love ours. It buys me time at the beginning or end of a meal or when I need her to sit in the high chair but don't really want to feed her something messy. She LOVES ice cubes in it, it really helps her with teething. Grapes have also been awesome - they are such a pain to prep for babies - peel, dice, etc. Instead I pop them or cut them in half and throw them in the feeder and she goes to town. Mango, pineapple, orange/clementine are all good things to put in it. I'll give it to her when I'm either putting food on the table or when I am cleaning up when I can't watch her like a hawk to watch for choking, and it stops her from screaming like a banshee cause she wants food NOW.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#23 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 PM

I wish you had a nice idea but I didn't need it option.

I think it would be nice if your babe doesn't have teeth when they are a bit older. DS had lots of teeth and did better with actual food. The mesh thing just angered him.

My niece however, slow teether loved having it.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#24 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I can't imagine putting purees in the mesh feeder; is that what people do with it?
Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

I have one and at first from 6-8 months we used it all the time (I didn't find them hard to get clean, but they do stain easily -- replacement meshes are pretty cheap), now I hardly use it because she has a better grasp and also we don't go out to eat much.

I used this mostly because it contained the mess of self-feeding a bit more. It was great to have at restaurants because I could pop a piece of banana, or potato or steamed veg in it and she'd gnaw away and we'd get way fewer offers of purees from the wait staff, or cookies from stangers, and she'd really enjoy it (plus who wants their baby's food all over the tray of a restaurant highchair...ew). It also freaked my MIL out a lot less than just giving her a baton of veg or fruit and letting her have at it...and my MIL when she is stressed about a baby is just such an UNPLEASANT person to be around, so even though she only stayed with us for 10 days it was totally worth the 7 bucks we paid for ours just for that.

It's not necessary, but it did allow me a little more freedom.

I used to think it was weird to eat through mesh as well, but actually I think the texture of the mesh on their gums is really pleasant for her, sort of scratchy and bumpy. She loves it, but I just don't feel the need to use it as much any more now that she has better aim and generally gets food in her mouth rather than her ears and eyes.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#25 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM

I've never used one, because I don't understand them. I think they're weird. I think if a baby is old enough to eat a food, they should be able to actualy eat it - not gnaw at it through a screen. I guess I don't see the point beyond, possibly, putting frozen foods in them to help with teething pain.
#26 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

As it is, I'm leaning towards just skipping them. We obviously somehow managed to introduce tablefood with dd, I just don't remember how.
Just give it to her. She'll figure it out. Many of us never use purees at all with our babies.
#27 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 03:14 PM

We use them for frozen fruit for teething, DD LOVES it!

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#28 of 34 Old 11-06-2010, 05:15 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I've never used one, because I don't understand them. I think they're weird. I think if a baby is old enough to eat a food, they should be able to actualy eat it - not gnaw at it through a screen. I guess I don't see the point beyond, possibly, putting frozen foods in them to help with teething pain.
Same here.
My last babe just ate regular table food starting at 6 mos. and my current baby will do the same.
#29 of 34 Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Neither of my kids would eat anything mashed or pureed, so this was a total miracle product for us. They just loved to chew on their teething biscuits and bananas and broccoli and everything else in the feeder, and I loved not having to sit there and pull choke-risk bits of food out of their mouths. I can't see anything dangerous about them, so long as you check to make sure the mesh is in good condition every time you use it. My kids are big now but I'm expecting #3 and definitely planning on using one again, I think they are great. Of course, every baby is different, but if yours likes to eat solid foods then this is a really super product.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#30 of 34 Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM

A bunch of friends said their babies loved these things...so I bought a few, and my little guy could not stand the texture! He never used them-- and we tried many, many times!

The did fine with pieces of whole fruit and large chunks of things, sans bag...I would just watch him carefully. He had 6 teeth by the time he was 7 months old though, so perhaps thats why the mesh thing just did not float his boat at all!

I have an extra one that I never opened the package...if you pay for shipping, I am happy to send it to you! lolol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page