so do you ever give jarred stuff? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I rinse off the fruits and veggies Cecilia throws on the floor and let her try again...is that bad? I mean, she only eats like one piece anyway, so I only give her 3-4 pieces to play with.
It's not bad and I do that too with some things (heck I don't even rinse some of them). Apples and pears sure, bananas, soft steamed broccoli or green beans, not so much.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#32 of 49 Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 AM

Neither of my kids ate jarred foods... we started DD on BLW at 6 MO, took a break for a month or two, then started up again. She hardly ate anything (other than breast milk) until she was 14 MO.

We did delayed solids with DS. He didn't start until he was about 10.5 MO, I think. He had an incredibly strong gag reflex at that point, but within two or three weeks he was feeding himself little chunks of whatever we were eating without any problems at all. Now he eats like a champ!

I wish I had known with DD what I know now... I would have waited longer with her as well.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#33 of 49 Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, I also never have done purees. I will often bring a snack with us, but it's never "baby food".

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#34 of 49 Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
Hmm, what is this "rinse off" of which you speak?
that

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#35 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 02:38 AM

I don't do jar food. I did a little bit with ds, but then I found out that there are fillers in the food such as corn starch. It also bothered me that I wwas feeding my child something taht was processed enough to be able to sit on a shelf for months.

That being said, I don't consider it the end of the world or anything. My mother is obssessed with giving it to dd and so I have let ehr feed it to her a couple times.

Honestly I just don't see the need for it. there are plenty of "real" foods that can be brought along....single serve applesauces, yogurt, cottage cheese, banana, etc. I also bring along my food grinder sometimes and put whatever I'm eating in there. It is really small and compact and it takes about 30 seconds to turn any food into "baby food." Oh, and dd feeds herself everything except soup. Even purees, I make thick enough for her to grab handfuls, and just put it on her tray and let her go to town.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#36 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM

So, do those fillers not have to be listed on the label? Because the jar of food I'm looking at right now has the ingredient list of "Organic pears, organic apples, ascorbic acid, and citric acid.

And as far as I know the only thing that makes them shelf stable are the ascorbic/citric acid, which I'm okay with (and I have also had some baby food that didn't have either of the above but literally only the foods on the label and water).

I mean, people can food all the time to make it shelf stable. That's why you should "reject if button is up."

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#37 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
So, do those fillers not have to be listed on the label? Because the jar of food I'm looking at right now has the ingredient list of "Organic pears, organic apples, ascorbic acid, and citric acid.

And as far as I know the only thing that makes them shelf stable are the ascorbic/citric acid, which I'm okay with (and I have also had some baby food that didn't have either of the above but literally only the foods on the label and water).

I mean, people can food all the time to make it shelf stable. That's why you should "reject if button is up."
I've never seen it either, but I can't say I've studied every brand out there. My understanding is that baby food and formula is super highly regulated about what they're allowed to put in them.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#38 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 PM

What in the world is BLW?
#39 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Baby-led weaning, or the practice of skipping cereals and purees altogether and going straight to "regular" food.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#40 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post

I have been living in Latin America (Argentina, Costa Rica, and Colombia) and the baby food brands we get here at the normal nacional prices (Gerber and Nestle) are pretty much fruit veggie or meat puree, sugar and cornstarch, and some chemical preservative I cannot pronounce. Some specialty stores do carry the organic Earth's Best but they range from 6-12 dollars a jar...and I mean a teeny tiny single serving jar. It's ridonkulous for us.

I am sure the regulations in the states are much more stringent than in the developing world, where the formula and food companies are given free reign to engage in such practices as sending women home from the hospital with free cans of formula, giving away free samples with diaper purchases, and having free give aways at the supermarket with displays of happy babies pictured on them. Thank god BFing until 2 is still culturally acceptable and common.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#41 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 PM

No we have never bought the jarred stuff and have never fed our kids mushed up foods. We go straight to self-feeding real food with flavours and textures... So much easier for everyone!

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#42 of 49 Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 PM

We did probably 98% BLW with DS1 but man, a jar and a spoon are handy when you're sitting in a traffic jam with a screaming baby. Grandma is also physiologically incapable of just handing a 6 month old half a banana so if she was alone with the baby (I'm talking a handful of times, not daily or even frequently) I'd leave a few jars available. Plus I really like the taste of babyfood peaches and pears

That watered down Ella's in a sippy cup is BRILLIANT. I'm dying for DS2 to be old enough and ready enough for food just to keep him from screaming so much in the car. DS1 is almost 3 and thinks those pouches are the best car snack ever.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#43 of 49 Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
tzs

we did BLW but i've given dd jars in a pinch. we had them from WIC anyway...i mean, I'VE even been known to eat them so when i say she eats what i eat it's still the truth, right?
sometimes now that she's older i'll even thicken them with a little oatmeal and let her practice with the spoon.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#44 of 49 Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I use them occasionally.  I'll use a bit of baby cereal mixed with pureed fruit for breakfast or use the peach oatmeal jarred food, because I don't tend to make things for the rest of us that babies like, and I don't have a lot of motivation to stew tiny amounts of fruit.  And they are nice to take along if I don't know what will be available somewhere.  I don't buy ones with a lot of fillers. (Though I do make Byrd's custard, which is full of corn starch.  Yummy yummy custard!

But why worry?  It's not about being a perfect mom who applies only the strictest BLW principles.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#45 of 49 Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM

We don't, simply because I'm too cheap to pay 0.99-1.99 for a tiny jar of stuff that I could make 10 times cheaper at home. About once a month I do a huge batch of purees and throw them in ice cube trays, so I'm never tempted to spend much on jarred baby food.

Rachel....

Wife to DH...

SAHM to C (2.5 years)

#46 of 49 Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRN View Post

We don't, simply because I'm too cheap to pay 0.99-1.99 for a tiny jar of stuff that I could make 10 times cheaper at home. About once a month I do a huge batch of purees and throw them in ice cube trays, so I'm never tempted to spend much on jarred baby food.

See I while I wont get many and its less and less lately I find it way way cheeper to buy the few jars than make the stuff myself gobs cheaper. Cheepest of course to jsut give her appripiate forms of what we are having. 

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#47 of 49 Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 PM

Not really. DD refused solids until 10 months. We tried offering at 6 months and then resorted to offering just once a week. We tried everything including jarred stuff. She wasn't interested. After she did finally start solids, she never ate enough to justify buying jars. I made my own baby food and froze it in ice cubes. We did use jarred foods occasionally when we went on vacation though. But that's also the vacation that she got her first pizza crust, too. ;-)

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#48 of 49 Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 AM

I was really anti-jarred food to start--the baby food tasting game starring Earth's Best jars at our shower only made me more so!  All but one were really awful, unrecognizable and bland.  Not what I want my son to learn to like.

However, we've come to really like the Ella's Organic pouches.  They actually taste like the foods they're made of!  Plus, they're super convenient.  I just wish I'd realized the baby food police weren't going to come after me sooner.  ;-)  We do a combo of BLW and the occasional pouch of Ella's.  The only puree I've made for months is roasted applesauce.  I've bought them in bulk from Diapers.com.

These are pretty good, too:  http://worldbabyfoods.com/

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#49 of 49 Old 11-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't really follow rules; I do what works for our child(ren). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page