First solids with the Baby Led Weaning/Solids approach - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What were the first foods you introduced when doing finger foods with the BLW approach? How did you prepare them? How long did you wait until you started offering babe whatever the rest of the family was eating? Just curious as to what others have had success with smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalbond View Post

What were the first foods you introduced when doing finger foods with the BLW approach? How did you prepare them? How long did you wait until you started offering babe whatever the rest of the family was eating? Just curious as to what others have had success with smile.gif

We did "soft" things mostly. If there was something that everyone was eating that I could mush a little or tear into tiny pieces (like, roast and potatoes or something) I'd put it on his tray. He was still nursing full time at that point so it was just for fun and to get him used to tastes and textures.

One of his favorite things? Broccoli. Seriously. We'd go out to eat and I'd order a side of steamed veggies/broccoli and hand him a piece. The looks we got from other people were quite entertaining smile.gif

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Well, first I tested to see if Cecilia had lost the infant tongue reflex by putting a dab of mashed potato (just potato, nothing added to it) on my fingertip and holding it in front of her face. She grabbed my hand and sucked the finger in, and quickly swallowed the potatoes, so I deemed she was ready. wink1.gif

Her first food that she self-fed was avocado slices. She did a great job once she could pick up the slices, but that was the hard part. They stuck to her highchair tray really well. So when I give her avocado now I do it in the mesh feeder. Besides avocado, she has had butternut squash, apple slices that have been softened in the microwave, sweet potato, and Asian pear. We're not doing any grains or dairy until over 1, we'll see about meat (probably holding off until at least 9 months for that).

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

We did "soft" things mostly. If there was something that everyone was eating that I could mush a little or tear into tiny pieces (like, roast and potatoes or something) I'd put it on his tray. He was still nursing full time at that point so it was just for fun and to get him used to tastes and textures.

One of his favorite things? Broccoli. Seriously. We'd go out to eat and I'd order a side of steamed veggies/broccoli and hand him a piece. The looks we got from other people were quite entertaining smile.gif

Pretty much this.  Within reason, I gave her dabs of what we were eating: tiny bits of chicken or well-cooked veg, fruits, etc.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

User Tag List