Red Dots on Baby's Back - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I was changing my daughter (9 months) today her back was sprinkled with red dots which spread out on her right shoulder and upper arm. She had just had eaten tiny bits of sweet potato but she has been eating them for a while now. I wouldn't even call it eating since she just licks a bit of the spoon. Anyways I felt alarmed and called the ped but didn't get a hold of him. It looked like little chigger bites but not as close together as they would be and she was wearing a very loose shirt. Anyways after her nap (60-90 minutes later) they were gone. Does anyone know what that might have been? Is that a food reaction? She was acting fine even though she has been cranky all day but I think she is teething as well. I just looked and photos of skin symptoms but didn't recognize any... We have a cat. Could it be flea bites or any other bug? It is just so weird that they are gone now. I should have taken a picture but didn't think of it this afternoon. Should I stop giving her solids? She really isn't interested much anyways and I just keep offering.

Thanks for any thoughts on that!!!

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#2 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 PM

It can take several exposures to a food for an allergy to show, so it could be an allergy.  Otherwise, could it have been a bit of a heat rash?  My boys both get a rash whenever they sweat and their back is up against something (like a highchair or carseat) for an extended period of time. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#3 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM

My girly gets heat rash any time she gets warm... it also appears how you described. If she so much as falls asleep nursing, half her face looks like a really bad breakout of pimples!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, she has had heat rashes before, around the neck or so. And she wasn't hot. Her skin was not flushed or anything. It looked like a kid's painting: red dots under the skin (the skin not broken into like after a bite) sprinkled over her back and one upper arm. Her back still felt soft and smooth. I just looked at more pictures online (bug bites, hives, ...) We gave her a bath tonight and the dots were all gone. My husband has lots of allergies and I feel alert as my daughter really isn't interested in food and we kept offering different tastes. Maybe it is a sign that we should wait longer or it could be just a coincidence that it happened after the feeding. Thanks a lot for your responses!!

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#5 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM

my first thought was roseola, but if it went away then that's not possible. My baby had newborn exanthem - he'd get dark red spots/stripes with a white middle spot/stripe whenever he got fussy. It looked like he or someone else had scratched him up. After he calmed down, the spots would disappear. So nothing really bad and he grew out of it within a few weeks.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page