Mothering Forum banner

How many times does baby really need to see pediatrician in first year?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MJB 
#1 ·
We are expecting our first baby November 30th and are trying to find a pediatrician. The *good* ones (i.e., alternative vax friendly) in my area are not accepting new patients. We interviewed a newer ped who we thought would be okay until we can find someone who is really in line with our thinking. When I asked her how many times we'd see her during the first year for well-baby visits, it seemed like a lot. I want to say she said at 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. I've heard that well-baby visits are usually based on the CDC vax schedule, so if we aren't sticking to that, do we really need to go as often (as long as baby feels and seems okay)?

#2 ·
I personally keep to the recommended schedule, vax or no vax. Peds see issues that parents don't. We go to someone who is very APA and I like her a lot. She doesn't give parenting advice and she gives us the party line about some things (vitamin D) but totally respects the fact that we do our own research and don't always follow her recommendations.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

I personally keep to the recommended schedule, vax or no vax. Peds see issues that parents don't. We go to someone who is very APA and I like her a lot. She doesn't give parenting advice and she gives us the party line about some things (vitamin D) but totally respects the fact that we do our own research and don't always follow her recommendations.
This. I wanted the pediatrician to see my daughter at the usual times during the first year, vax or no vax, so that she could watch my daughter's development and see if there were any issues. I'm not a doctor; I don't have a trained eye to the common issues a baby might have, and that is what the doctor is for. If the doctor offers advice on solids, sleeping/CIO, whatever, you can just smile and nod and make your own choices. But when it comes to medical issues, I want a doctor to make the call, not me.

#6 ·
I was wondering the same thing - good to see responses that are positive.

Our baby saw a pediatrician in the hospital but only saw the midwife after that for the first two months.

Now on her 3-month "birthday" (end of November) we're going to be taking her to a new pediatrician before we can get in to the one every one we know has recommended (in January). We just feel better having a ped keep an eye on her because of the above reasons... while she seems incredibly healthy, it's so comforting to have someone say "she looks great" who actually knows what that looks like!

GL and congratulations!

#8 ·
We don't vax in the first year. We followed the schedule with #1, skipped a few with #2, and now, with #3, have gone at 2 weeks and 2 mos., and am planning to to go again at 6 and 12 mos. along with any needed sick visits. She's my third child and I'm confident I will notice if anything is off. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.