Teething baby won't nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS has been super fussy, drooling, biting hands (his and ours), and spitting up more than usual, as well as sleeping like crap.  He doesn't seem to want to nurse - he'll suck a little, then cry, or he'll suck a few times and turn away, then turn back, suck a few times, turn away, repeat repeat repeat.  He doesn't want to take a binky either, but he'll take a bottle no problem.

Does this sound like teething, or is he developing a preferance for being bottle fed?  He is at daycare five days a week but we never use bottles at home and I nurse him on my lunch hour.  His rejection of the binky makes me think it's teething but I just don't know.

He will be 4 months next week and has loved nursing up until a few days ago - he's always been a frequent nurser and he'll nurse for hours if I let him.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#2 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

DD is entirely bottle-fed, but she completely refuses to eat when her teething pain ramps up.  She was eating so little for a while that I had to continuously dose her with acetaminophen for several days to get her above 15 oz.  She does exactly what you describe - sucks for a little bit, then gets upset and pushes the bottle away.  Perhaps the bottle is less irritating to her gums? 

Only other thing I can think of to cause this is painful reflux.  Have you had problems with this in the past?  Do you bottle-feed in a more upright position than nursing that might help alleviate reflux symptoms?

#3 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 02:22 PM

Mine was like this when he started teething at around 3 mos.  He was super fussy, drooling, bite-y, and of course barely sleeping. 

Since then, pretty much every time he starts cutting a new one, he either refuses to nurse for a couple of days, or gets real bite-y.  I just have to resort to pumping during the day, which kinda sucks, but oh well.  During the night, he often "forgets" he's in rejection mode and will nurse just fine.  And that's just fine with me.  It seems to pass in a couple of days and he gets back to normal.

4 months sounds like a good time for a nursing strike if you haven't had to endure that yet.  Not fun, but if you stick it out, it's worth hangin' in there for the long haul, IMO.

#4 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 AM

Yup. You've described my DS behavior to the tee and he's teething (our sons are nearly the same age) off and on now for 3 weeks and no tooth yet. The first bad night of teething, he didn't nurse for almost 6 hours! Needless to say, I was in great discomfort and no pump (traveling from home at the time). So, I've learned to travel with it; as well as, his teething tablets, baby orajel, lotsa bibs and his teething toys.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#5 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

You could do a little test - give him a teething specific remedy, then see if he'll nurse.  By the way, DD has been doing this for months(!) and at 7.5 months is still toothless.  The pain comes when the teeth are moving into position in her gums over time. My LO seems to be getting them all into position before cutting any. Hopefully that's not the case with yours!

#6 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yup I think it is definitely the teething!  I got some Hyland's teething gel and applied it before feeding him last night and also this morning and he did much better.  Still acts like the binky has been laced with hot sauce which only bothers me because it leaves him without something to comfort suck at daycare.

I was sort of hoping that teething would make him want to nurse more, because that would be great for my supply, but I'm at least glad he's not totally rejecting the breast (yet, *sigh*... working five days a week means he gets A LOT of bottle time... but I am going to fight the good fight until the end!).

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page