What's the earliest you'd start solids... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well OP,

I really had no clue that you were supposed to wait on solids for 6-9 mths or however long you felt appropriate. I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to help her reflux, how to help her with teething (she has been teething since 8 wks...no joke), and how to keep her from biting (me).

Anyways, with her reflux doc suggested we try rice cereal at 13 wks. Well she hated it. It didn't help her and we didn't do it again. However at 4 mths now, she has had pureed carrots and sweet potatoes. I am confused as to why this would take the place of nursing? I would call it more like snacking. I mean she still wants to nurse every 2 hours nod.gif

She no longer does a tongue thrust (unless she gets too much)

She also has better bowel movements as she used to be really constipated and would have painful bms. 

We follow her clues. She lets us know when she is no longer interested. This doesn't mean I am going to give her alcohol if she shows interest in that too. That is a little extreme mamas.

Anyways, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, try as some might to prove it. 

Good luck and have fun.

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
MJB

Well, we went ahead and gave her unsweetened applesauce a few days ago and she loved it. We're going to try avocado and banana sometime soon. The scientific research I've read seems pretty conclusive on solids and allergies, and as someone who lives with allergies, I want to do what I can to help her avoid them. Plus, she wants and enjoys solids. Win-win IMO. 

Plus, I started menstruating again at 8 weeks PP and am back to my pre-pregnancy weight so half the supposed benefits of exclusive breastfeeding for 6 mos. don't even apply. winky.gif

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread; it was definitely helpful! 

Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM

I was really concerned with waiting until 6 mos for solids with my first.  With my second he was losing weight EBF  ( due to breastfeeding difficulties and a tongue tie) and I was not able to pump enough to supplement him (we use a supplemental nurser)  I went to the Newman Breastfeeding clinic in Toronto and they suggested offering solids while waiting for domperidone to up my supply - in order to avoid giving formula.  So at 5 and a half months he "tried" some avocado, I don't think he swallowed much of it and thankfully I was able to use a friends expressed milk to help supplement for a few days until my supply caught up. Now that his solids cherry is popped lol I'm not sure when we'll start making it more regular and as long as he continues to do well ebf, I won;'t worry much about when he actually "eats" the solids

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

User Tag List