What's the earliest you'd start solids... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

... if baby seemed ready and eager?

DD2 is 5 months and 5 days old, sits on her own, can easily coordinate putting stuff in her mouth, demands to sit at the dining table on my lap (she's not AS insistent on being involved in other actibities - food seems to fascinate her) and tries to GRAB every bite I try to put in my mouth.

We half-heartedly started solids with DD1 when she was 6.5 mo, and even then it was just a few spoonfuls a day until she was a year old. She LOVED nursing and was OK with solids, but not too enthusiastic.

This one is DIFFERENT and I feel like a cruel mother depriving her of something she seems to really want just so I'd get to the seemingly arbitrary age of 6mo of exclusive nursing. If 6mo is something recommended by all as the 'right' age, then it's probably the normal average age for babies, and as all babies are different, then it only makes sense that some will be ready sooner and some later.

Thoughts? What's the earliest you'd start and why?

#2 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM

We started about 5.5 months with a baby that sounds just like yours! I think the turning point was when he was sitting in dad's lap, dad got distracted, and we noticed that had both hands in the salad bowl and was about to munch on a handful of leafy greens. We figured that meant he was ready.

#3 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I dunno. I really feel strongly that grabbing at food and the like is about curiousity and not about being ready for food. If baby was grabbing at my wine glass, I wouldn't let her have it, right? She doesn't know what is approriate for her to have. That's why she has me, to guide her and make those decsions. I would try and hold off as much as humanly possible. Her gut is so perfect right now with being ebf, and I think the longer we can keep it that way, the better. I would distract baby with toys at mealtimes or even give her a spoon to bang around. I've heard of people making breastmilk slushies for baby to play with and put into their mouths during mealtimes. Also, consider going the BLW route and give whole foods for baby to eat instead of purees. Chances are she'll play with the food more than anything. It IS exciting to start feeding baby solids, so I can see the allure to doing it earlier.

Cutie Patootie and Blessed1 like this.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#4 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post

I dunno. I really feel strongly that grabbing at food and the like is about curiousity and not about being ready for food. If baby was grabbing at my wine glass, I wouldn't let her have it, right? She doesn't know what is approriate for her to have. That's why she has me, to guide her and make those decsions. I would try and hold off as much as humanly possible. Her gut is so perfect right now with being ebf, and I think the longer we can keep it that way, the better. I would distract baby with toys at mealtimes or even give her a spoon to bang around. I've heard of people making breastmilk slushies for baby to play with and put into their mouths during mealtimes. Also, consider going the BLW route and give whole foods for baby to eat instead of purees. Chances are she'll play with the food more than anything. It IS exciting to start feeding baby solids, so I can see the allure to doing it earlier.

This is exactly how I feel as well, and I think I've even made the same analogy before with beer as the reference. lol.gif

We did frozen breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder with Cecilia, until we felt that she was old enough for solids (over 6 months, sitting independently, no infant tongue thrust, able to self feed). We also went the BLW route and skipped purees.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Both of my kids started eating solids just after 5mo.  They showed all the signs and WANTED to eat.  I really think that it's okay to go with your baby's lead on this.  I highly doubt that our anchestors would have waited for some "magical" age of 6mo to start solid foods.  They would have waited for the child to show interest and gone from there.  If you child can sit, self feed, chew and swallow, then I think it's perfectly fine to start slightly before 6mo.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#6 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM

I agree with you that our ancestors most likely didn't wait until some magical age. However, the way I see it, they probably did wait until the babies were grabbing food for themselves to introduce food, and that was probably most likely to occur once the child was mobile-- or after 6 months. Personally I think that we've been taught for a couple of generations now to push food on a baby far too early. Breastmilk is designed specifically for babies and is higher calorie, more nutritionally complete and more easily digested than anything else we could possibly give our babies. Honestly, I wish I had not been pushed into trying solids at 6 months.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#7 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You may find some interesting info in this link regarding introduction of solids throughout history:

http://tinyurl.com/2wqytkf

#8 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 04:07 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

I wouldn't do it before 6 months regardless of interest and even with a lot of interest I would keep them minimal for a long time. Interest is a small part of the puzzle. Changes in the physical body matter more. And no solids, no matter how nutritious, are as good as bm. And solids replace bm.

#9 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM

I would say to follow your baby's lead.  We began solids at four months, which I know is earlier than most here.  The AAP says that solids can be introduced any time between four and six months.  At four months, my DD was consuming huge amounts of breastmilk and still crying constantly from hunger.  The introduction of solids did *not* replace breastmilk in any way.  She still nursed as much as before, and solids were just an addition.  It does not have to be all or nothing.  If she is interested in solids, then give her a little taste.  All babies are different.  Go with your gut.

#10 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM

I have never understood, particularly on this issue, why people passionately feel like their way is the only/right way.  shrug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin View Post

I would say to follow your baby's lead.  ...The introduction of solids did *not* replace breastmilk in any way....  It does not have to be all or nothing.  If she is interested in solids, then give her a little taste.  All babies are different.  Go with your gut.

I agree.

#11 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM

I've given DS [almost 5 months] some solids in addition to his breast milk. Nothing crazy, and not all the time

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#12 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

I have never understood, particularly on this issue, why people passionately feel like their way is the only/right way.  shrug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin View Post

I would say to follow your baby's lead.  ...The introduction of solids did *not* replace breastmilk in any way....  It does not have to be all or nothing.  If she is interested in solids, then give her a little taste.  All babies are different.  Go with your gut.

I agree.

um is this your first time on this forum a lot dare I say MOST of the people on here think their way is the only way. RIghtly so, to believe in what you do, but to be harsh about it or not understanding is just ridic in my opinion...

and yes I agree. I mean babies reach for a lot of things but if my baby wanted my cell phone and remote I don't give it to them, and yes they put it in their mouths, 

Be careful for allergies, go slow and continue to bf and I think you will do just fine...!

always :
- baby boy arrived in Oct 2009!
#13 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM

The research out there shows pretty conclusively that it's best to start solids between 4 and 6 months.  Starting before 4 months or after 7 months is linked to higher chances of food allergies and digestive problems.  There are a bunch of available studies on this if you go to PubMed or Google Scholar and search for things about age to introduce solids.  My DD started at about 5 1/2 months, my son just after 5 months.  

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#14 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM

If the baby is going to be spoon-fed, I would try to wait at least 'til 6 months.If the baby is going to self-feed, I might start a little earlier, IF she was incredibly interested, sitting well unassisted, etc. and it seemed impossible to hold off. DS started at 5 months, because he kept grabbing food off my plate & stuffing it in his mouth faster than I could stop him. But, I think he swallowed very little (if any) until he was closer to 7-8 months so he was still 99.5% breastfed. He did enjoy tasting the foods & playing with the textures and I think that was appropriate for his age. My impression of spoon-feeding though is that it's more intake-focused so I would be less comfortable starting solids early with that feeding method. Don't know if I'm making sense here.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#15 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM

I personally haven't done it, probably because it's a little bit more work for me and I like the idea of waiting until 6 months.  If you think your baby is ready, I think it's fine though.

Mama to three

#16 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
tzs

i find it interesting that it seems that on mdc, when people say to follow your baby's lead, that it's ok to go on your own timeframe....it usually only means that it's ok waiting (although it doesn't seem to be the case with pp here :) ) it's almost like bragging rights on whose baby isn't eating solids yet. but following your baby's lead might also mean starting a little early. i also was planning on waiting....until dd grabbed not only a handful of meatloaf but also the entire pyrex dish. she was 5.5 months, sitting, no tongue thrust, and actually had the pincer grasp down pat (although i wasn't aware of it until i gave her cheerios to practice on.)

big deal. she's been going strong ever since and it never seemed to affect her nursing as our meal schedules and her nursing needs never really coincided. give your babe a hunk of banana and see what happens and enjoy!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#17 of 33 Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM

We started letting DS suck on chunks of food (cucumber slices, rib bones, green beans, fruit) when he became interested in it around 5.5 months. I don't think he really swallowed much till after 6 months of age but he had fun and explored lots of tastes. We still do BLW exclusively and he's now probably eating 2 tiny meals a day. We had no problems so far, and while he gagged a couple of times early on, he's great at eating safely now. thumb.gif

sleepytime.gif
#18 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

I agree with you that our ancestors most likely didn't wait until some magical age. However, the way I see it, they probably did wait until the babies were grabbing food for themselves to introduce food, and that was probably most likely to occur once the child was mobile-- or after 6 months. Personally I think that we've been taught for a couple of generations now to push food on a baby far too early. Breastmilk is designed specifically for babies and is higher calorie, more nutritionally complete and more easily digested than anything else we could possibly give our babies. Honestly, I wish I had not been pushed into trying solids at 6 months.

Some babies (including mine) crawl before 6 mos. (and climb yikes2.gif). Also, breastmilk is not higher calorie than many solid foods. All 3 of my babies have started grabbing food at 4-5 mos. There's evidence that starting solids earlier helps reduce the occurrence of food and inhalant allergies. I don't think anyone should force solids on their babies and I'm sorry if you felt pressured to give your baby solids before s/he was ready. 

I just started a thread called "starting solids" a couple days ago that basically has the same question. I've decided to let my baby have food whenever she wants-- I will begin offering finger foods to her at the dinner table and if she wants it, she will eat it. She's 4 mos. 

#19 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Not to mention that feeding the babe solids is a more efficient use of calories than the mother eating them and converting them to breastmilk.  In societies where food is scarce, it makes practical sense to start children on solids as soon as they they can handle it.  The modern trend for delaying solids (as well as nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursing) is definitely linked to the ease and affordability of calories in our society.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#20 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Honestly, I think this (like all parenting decisions) has to be what you feel comfortable with.  I have done my research and follow the recommendations from the Canadian Ped Society, Alberta Health (where I live) which state starting solids at or after 6 months.  This is what I was comfortable with and was what worked for my family.

I know that research is something that is constantly changing and can be conflicting.  Everyone here could find 20 different opinions supporting their choice and spout it as the "gospel truth".  That's where parenting comes in... take the available information and figure out what works for you.  Like all decisions (i.e. CIO vs parenting to sleep), you can always have someone telling you that what you are doing is wrong and can harm your child, etc. etc.  However, if you are truly comfortable with your choice to feed solids at 4 months, 5 months, 8 months, really, does it matter to anyone else but you and your child?

Loving my two wild and crazy boys -- DS1 06/07 and DS2 12/09
#21 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Six months. I don't think it's possible to figure out a child's internal gut development based on their interest in food or ability to grab or sit. Lots of physically advanced children have digestive issues. 

#22 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM

6 months.

Although we are still ebf at 7 months now...

#23 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

Six months. I don't think it's possible to figure out a child's internal gut development based on their interest in food or ability to grab or sit. Lots of physically advanced children have digestive issues. 

And lots of kids older than 6 months have digestive issues as well --I don't think a date on the calendar is any better at determining an individual child's gut development.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#24 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

And lots of kids older than 6 months have digestive issues as well --I don't think a date on the calendar is any better at determining an individual child's gut development.

True. But with the issue of the gut being developed enough to handle solids, there IS a good idea of what age is old enough, and that's six months. Obviously, if your child then shows difficulties, you should pull back and try again later. 

#25 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM

At the end of the day, i don't think a couple weeks is really going to make a huge difference...one way or the other.  My guy sounds a lot like yours, and I probably would have started him around 5.5 months, but my husband was pretty firm on the 6 month thing...simply because that's what i had always said before.  So, yes, a few tastes got in his mouth before 6 months, but mostly we tried to wait.  If you decide you do want to wait until 6 months, here's a few things that helped us get through those last couple weeks:

Sitting him in the highchair (which connects to our table...so he was still very much "with us") while we ate rather than on our laps. that way he wasn't so close to the food.  We gave him a big bowl of individually wrapped candy left over from halloween.  He loved to just mush his hands around in it.

Frozen breast milk pops, made with little popsicle molds, given while we eat.  He went to town on these!

This one we discovered by accident while at a restaurant when he was quite fussy... he had his pacifier in his mouth as we were desperately trying to pay the bill to leave.  While i was signing for the bill, he grabbed a huge handful of salad off my plate...Straight to the mouth.  But, the pacifier kept any food from actually getting in.  He didn't seem to notice however.  We tried it a couple more times at home, and he seemed perfectly content to play with food and put it to his mouth without any actually getting it in.  So, if your lo takes a pacifier, you can always try that too!

#26 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM
MJB

I just read "The Importance of Early Complementary Feeding in the Development of Oral Tolerance" from Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 2008: 19. I found this passage especially enlightening: 

"In 2001, the World Health Organisation (WHO) revised its recommendation for exclusive breastfeeding from 4 to 6 months (1). This was based (at least in part) on reduced gastrointesti- nal infectious disease noted in a Belarussian study, and had major implications for disease burden in developing and semi-industrialized countries. At that time, there was also a paucity of evidence regarding the other risks and benefits of introducing complementary foods from 4 vs. 6 months of age (1). These recommendations were aimed at reducing morbidity in developing countries, but may not be appropriate in the growing world population experiencing progres- sive industrialization and escalating risk of immune dysregulation. Similar recommendations have been adopted for the prevention of allergic disease in the USA, the UK, Australia and other industralized countries, based on the theoretical concern for increased gut permeability and immaturity of mucosal immunity in infants. However, there is now mounting concern and some new evidence that this recommendation for delayed introduc- tion of complementary foods may have detri- mental consequences. In Western countries, where these recommendations have been adopted into practice, rates of food allergy have escalated rather than declined in the last 10 yr (3–5)."

#27 of 33 Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM

6 months or later for us, but again it is up to the individual.  As long as BM or ABM is not replaced but the introduction to solids.

Shelly (34), mumma to H (01), C (03), and M (05), and A (10).  Crunchy, co-sleeping, cloth, babywearing hippy!!
#28 of 33 Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

I just read "The Importance of Early Complementary Feeding in the Development of Oral Tolerance" from Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 2008: 19. I found this passage especially enlightening: 

"In 2001, the World Health Organisation (WHO) revised its recommendation for exclusive breastfeeding from 4 to 6 months (1). This was based (at least in part) on reduced gastrointesti- nal infectious disease noted in a Belarussian study, and had major implications for disease burden in developing and semi-industrialized countries. At that time, there was also a paucity of evidence regarding the other risks and benefits of introducing complementary foods from 4 vs. 6 months of age (1). These recommendations were aimed at reducing morbidity in developing countries, but may not be appropriate in the growing world population experiencing progres- sive industrialization and escalating risk of immune dysregulation. Similar recommendations have been adopted for the prevention of allergic disease in the USA, the UK, Australia and other industralized countries, based on the theoretical concern for increased gut permeability and immaturity of mucosal immunity in infants. However, there is now mounting concern and some new evidence that this recommendation for delayed introduc- tion of complementary foods may have detri- mental consequences. In Western countries, where these recommendations have been adopted into practice, rates of food allergy have escalated rather than declined in the last 10 yr (3–5)."

I read something very similar just now in a German conference paper, although I'm having trouble accessing it just now. Basically they said the 6 month EBF was meant for developing countries and that babies in most European countries, including Germany, may begin offering solids between 4-6 months.

That said, we've tried banana and avocado the past two days and that stuff is so slippery it kept popping out of his fist. I ended up mashing and offering him the spoon, which her ferociously attacked. He never got any banana down, but he did manage to swallow some avocado yesterday. It came back up later when he spit up as per usual (I've got a happy spitter). I'm really glad I didn't offer him too much. That would have been a horrible mess. So we'll be taking it slow.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#29 of 33 Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Personally I wait until at least 6 months. My oldest started around 7 months, my youngest closer to 10 months. When they were grabbing stuff off the table I noticed it was more boredom than wanting to eat anything so I gave them toys and they were happy. Better throwing a toy then mashed potatos and the like. Both my girls are very healthy eaters and no allergies so far, since we eat a wide variety of food then I doubt they will have allergies later. I can't think of to many things they haven't had yet.I think you need to go with what you feel comfortable with. 

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#30 of 33 Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

[Bolding mine in above quote]. We have chosen to wait until 6 months to start our girl on solids. I don't feel she *needs* them and I don't consider grabbing things and putting them in her mouth a particularly strong sign. She grabs everything and puts it in her mouth. Especially things DH or I are paying particular attention to pinktongue.gif

I will be watching the research on timing with interest over the coming years but, for now "mounting concern and *some* new evidence" is not enough to make me to rush into anything.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page