S/O---what's the weirdest/worst/most surprising thing your baby has eaten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just for fun not trying to remind anyone of how mad they were when MIL/dad/aunt or somebody fed their kids red kool aid or anything, but just for FUN, lol, what's the craziest thing your baby has eaten?

With ds I think it was sushi. I know that's not a weird food since millions of japanese babies eat it, but it's unusual to people here and most adults think it's "weird" so I was surprised at how quickly he took to it. Just goes to show that kids will eat anything before we plant ideas in their head about waht's good or normal!

with dd, I'm totally prepared for the flames, but....her dad gave her a blue lollipop the other day while I was at work. When I asked him why, he said, "because she was cute eating it." I told him wish he had taken a picture, because it's the last time he'll see her eating a lollipop for quite a while, lol. the other "worst" thing she's eaten is beef jerky...she likes to gnaw on it I guess for her gums and apparently she loves the flavor as well.

can you see the difference...sushi with baby #1, blue food coloring and beef jerky qwith baby #2. How far I have fallen......

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM

My 3 year old ate an ant when she was younger--she said that it tasted like meat. LOL!!!  My 22 month old put a bloated tick in her mouth and was going to eat it until I realized what she was doing and yanked it out of her mouth.  She thought it was a jellybean (the other kids were eating jellybeans at easter and she didn't have any....she thought she hit the jackpot when she found that tick.  I still want to vomit when I think of it. Ew.)

Those are pretty much the worst things my kids have put in their mouth, thank goodness...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 11-16-2010, 02:04 PM

At ~5 mos, DH handed DS a napkin to play with at a restaurant, then acted surprised when DS put it in his mouth. What came out was in shreds, and I consider it his first solid. It was identifiable when it appeared in his diaper later on.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
can you see the difference...sushi with baby #1, blue food coloring and beef jerky qwith baby #2. How far I have fallen......

Bwahaha.

DD1: Cherries with the pits in them, omgz.

DD2: Food off the floor of the car that DD1 generously gathered for her while I was putting groceries in the trunk.  I don't even know what it was.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, I was actually thinking of actual food items, but the bloated tick.......blech.

If we're talking any substance at all, I have to tell the oft-repeated  story of ds spotting a spider on the floor when he was about 8 or 9 months and while I was trying to find a napkin to get it with, he plucked it up and into hsi mouth, proceeded to gum it to death (literally) and swallow it all in about a tenth of a second. EWWW....

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM

DS's first officially swallowed piece of solid was pickled ginger in a sushi restaurant. Sushi is big around here. eat.gif the first solid that ever came through his system and into the diaper was dog hair. It is an essential nutrient around here. :D

sleepytime.gif
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

masago (flying fish roe, kinda like tiny caviar).  It was a huge hit!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

The worst is probably sand, but what kid hasn't eaten a bit of that?

The weirdest is probably nori (the seaweed the sushi is wrapped in).  I keep a pack in the cabinet and we share a sheet by tearing off strips.  He may think he's eating fishy-flavored paper (so cool!) and I know he's getting a dose of leafy green veggies!

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Just the other day I had to fish out pieces of stink bug from ds's mouth.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 PM

when my oldest was about 6 months old she loved to gnaw on and suck lemons! (organic of course) i have pictures of her just sucking away. sooooo cute!

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:42 PM

lemon slices. Without even the slightest sour face.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Dd2 has been big on the hair from the floor (obviously she thinks she's a cat).  Recently, she's also discovered that there are sometimes still dried bits from frozen peas or corn that she's eaten days before (again, mama needs to keep up better on cleaning the floors. . . )  

Not exactly a solid, but dd1 had an interesting (and horrifying to her baby self) encounter with a jalapeno spoon (was in the bowl of jalapeno slices at a restaurant and my dad gave it to her to entertain herself with during our meal not realizing where it had been - I think it was the only spoon on the table).  

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

LOL, I was actually thinking of actual food items, but the bloated tick.......blech.

If we're talking any substance at all, I have to tell the oft-repeated  story of ds spotting a spider on the floor when he was about 8 or 9 months and while I was trying to find a napkin to get it with, he plucked it up and into hsi mouth, proceeded to gum it to death (literally) and swallow it all in about a tenth of a second. EWWW....

LOL, see, I have a lot harder time coming up with a "weird" food...we eat a lot of things that might seem "weird" to many people but don't seem weird to us (DD is Vietnamese so we eat at a lot of Vietnamese restaurants and cook Vietnamese food...and some things, like blood pudding and head cheese would seem weird I guess, but it's pretty normal in Vietnamese cuisine.) 

All of my children seem to have committed most of the "weird food sins" in this thread...sushi, nori, lollipops, lemons...even the sand. :lol:  My oldest one tried some ostrich jerkey and alligator jerkey when he was way younger, so that's kind of out of the realm of typical food here.  My toddler keeps eating the entire apple, core, seeds, and all....I get kind of squigged by that because I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to eat the apple seeds because of arsenic.  Oh, and she drinks my peppermint green tea lattes with me quite a bit...or at least she drinks sips of it...I guess a lot of 1 year olds aren't sipping on green tea in their spare time. :lol:  (I really wish she wouldn't.  I don't want to share my tea. LOL!  But I let her try it one day and now she always wants it when she sees me drinking it.)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM

a dead housefly he found on the floor, and he had another one stuck to the drool on his chin.

he attempted to eat a piece of fingernail that didn't quite make it into the bathroom garbage, but i fished it out. 

momma to samson, born 12/05/09 to grateful parents.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM

my baby loves "adult" food. It makes me so happy to see him eating foods that I love, like chevre (goat cheese), butternut squash ravioli, and spinach curry because it shows he is my son after all, even if he is a miniature replica of his dad! Probably the weirdest thing he's eaten would be lne of the ones above. The worst thing he's ever eaten is probably french fries.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Is it bad that I don't know what S/O stands for?

Alexander 2-15-07
Lirum 3-17-10
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 PM

We let DD play on a pottery wheel with our potter friend today. She ate clay. And loved it....

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 AM

DD was going nappy free for a little while a few months ago and I went to the bathroom for a minute and when I came back she was sitting on the floor eating...her own banana ladden poop.

Yep...and she had a grin to match.

That is the grossest thing, but she has also had veggies in a thai green curry sauce, and she loves orange peels.

DS was a big fan of potting soil at this age.  He treated our garden like a virtutal snack buffet. 

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.

User Tag List