My child the beaver/Chewing on furniture! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, mamas, any ideas what I can do?

My soon-to-be 1 year old is gnawing on our furniture!  I have gouge marks in our coffe table, and now on her crib!  I've tried distracting her with her toys, wet washcloths (she used to like those), even her board boaks....no luck, She goes back to grinding away on the wood.  I wouldn't mind so much, except for I don't know what they're made of, or coated with! 

She's part beaver, I swear! :( 

Any good ideas to distract her?  Or any other "wood hungry" children out there?

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#2 of 3 Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM

yup-dd2 (9.5 mos) is starting to pull herself up on furniture & immediately starts chewing on an edge.  it's so interesting to me how 2 kids can be so different too...dd1 never really chewed on much, didn't like teethers, didn't put toys in her mouth etc.  dd2 puts everything in her mouth, no matter what, when etc.  it's her immediate response to everything.  

i put a thick blanket over the main wood chest in our living room so not only did it soften the edges a little, it also somewhat keeps her from biting down.  of course they make guards for edges & even for cribs too if you want to go that route.

if only i could figure out a way to keep her from trying to eat the cats...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#3 of 3 Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah, mine is 10 months and chewing up a storm. He's got 4 teeth and looks like 4 more are on their way. He likes to chew his crib. We're probably going to get those plastic strips to put on the crib edges.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page