LO pulling at crib bumper - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO is almost 8 months old, and more active than ever!  Lately, he's started pulling on his crib bumper when he wakes up- and I mean hard.  We have a bumper that came with a whole set for the nursery, but he's actually ripped the strings tied to crib from the bumper part, so now it sags and is very sad looking.  I really need to take it out, but he is awful at staying asleep and tangle free without it.  

Is there some sort of super bumper out there?  I think I need something with reinforced stitching, or some sort of tactic to keep him from being able to pull down a bumper similar to the one we have now.

Thanks in advance!

New mom to Benjamin! 4.8.10.
#2 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Maybe just don't use a bumper? Sounds kind of unsafe if he's making a tangled mess of it. I remember reading somewhere that the latest tests show bumpers can be unsafe and it's recommended not to use them anymore. These days all or most cribs are made with slats that are not wide enough for baby's head to get caught, and babies will just pull their arm or leg back if it goes through. Sorry, I don't have time to find this article right now but you can google it.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

No, I've read those too.  I think that they're thought to be mostly unsafe for those kids who aren't moving around?  I'm not really worried about his head getting stuck (or else everyone would use bumpers) but he really does get his fat little arms and legs jammed in between the slats.  

New mom to Benjamin! 4.8.10.
#4 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 12:35 PM

I have heard that you should weave the bumper in and out of the crib slats, both for safety and to keep it in place. Can you try that maybe?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM

hmmm, maybe you can put a flat board up along the outside edges of the crib?  Like a piece of plywood upholstered with foam rubber and the fabric from the bumper set and then put it up along the sides to make solid wall around those edges rather than open slats?  Or maybe Plexiglass...less destructible but see through.  I don't know if that would work for you...depends on the make of your crib. 

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#6 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM

we have a breathable bumper and it is great. http://www.breathablebaby.com/

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page