Tips for using a WashPod/Tummy Tub with a newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We were gifted a WashPod for our newborn.  I put it on my registry because I'd given them to friends who really liked them, too.  I just tried it tonight (she's 2 weeks exactly) and am wondering if I'm missing out on tips for dealing with a newborn in it.  She liked the depth and the water but trying to bathe her AND keep her face out of the water was none-too-easy.  Her bath was quite short (just long enough to wash her hair) and I didn't bother trying to "scrub" her skin; still, it was tricky.  I'm wondering if I put in too much water, or was she just tipsy because she's so little?  The whole "hold them under their chin" *sounds* easy enough, but in practice, it didn't feel so secure.

Thoughts?  Tips?  I will bathe her with me, as well, but it's nice to have a quick and easy way to clean her, too.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#2 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hmmmm, I would be reluctant to put a baby in a tubby like that until they could hold their head up by themselves.

When DS was small we had a sort of floating bed that he lay on while I took a bath with him, and then when he got big enough to hold his head up he went in a baby tubby.  DD just went in a shower sling with me in the shower.  Then once she could hold up her own head she went into a makeshift tub...I mean it was not called a washpod...it was just a biggish bucket, really.

Those look really cute, and they do have pictures of really small babies in them, but I think I would feel like you.

BTW I loved having DD in the shower with me, and she loved it too.  It really took care of the whole..."when am I supposed to shower?!" dilemma of those first three months of infancy.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#3 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Congratulations on your baby! joy.gif

We were thinking of getting a tummy tub, but my midwife told us they were more for giving a womb-like feeling and helping the baby relax...not really for bathing and getting clean. I've never tried one so I don't know, but we didn't bother getting one because of that.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post

BTW I loved having DD in the shower with me, and she loved it too.  It really took care of the whole..."when am I supposed to shower?!" dilemma of those first three months of infancy.

This is true for us too! Cecilia hated being in a tub by herself when she was tiny, and so I stopped using the baby tub and started hopping in the big tub with her. Then that progressed to showers and it works well for us!

One quick other thing, OP. I noticed you saying that you are washing her hair and wanting to "scrub" her skin, and I just wanted to point out that babies don't need all that! Just water works totally fine, and a bath isn't necessary more than once a week or even every couple of weeks for a non-mobile baby! Although I will admit that there have been times that Cecilia has had one more often simply because she loves being in the tub with me. winky.gif But too much washing with even gentle soap or cleansers can lead to over drying of delicate baby skin, and a loss of that perfectly soft, perfectly smooth skin that babies are so lucky to have!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry not to be more clear in my sleep-deprived state!  I was washing her hair, but not at all interested in scrubbing her (I'd never actually scrub a baby, anyway! lol.gif).  After being soaked with milk and covered in big brother kisses, she needed it.  thumb.gif  I don't even wash my big kids on a regular basis so I'm definitely not one who's going to end up over-bathing the baby!  lol.gif

She did seem very happy in the water though I may try less water and more carefully adjusting the cushion that goes in there.  Perhaps that will help her sit better.  She does have excellent head control for a newborn, but she's still only two weeks old.  Hopefully it'll prove to be a good investment even if it is only for relaxing!  My favorite way to bathe babies is in the big tub with me - I just don't get that luxury as often as I'd wish! :)

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 AM

We used a tummy tub and loved it.

It is true that in the first weeks, and I can't remember for how long, it required both parents. While one held the LO, the other did the work.
So he would be bathed only, let's say, twice a week in the beginning. As he gained more head control, it became real fun and his papa took charge of bathing without any help.

As for the fact that this tubs hold such little water so it's not really for cleaning. In my opinion, bathing such young babies are not so much for cleaning as it is for relaxation, bonding and creating a bedtime routine, so we were ok with the tummy tub.

Tip: DH used a separate container of water to provide rinsing to our LO's hair. Also, the tub makes a bit of a mess, even more as baby starts becoming more active. We used a towel underneath. We may have reached his 3 months before transferring to a regular tub. I thought we had a giant in a bucket but DH would have used it until the kid was walking around and speaking if I hadn't intervened.

Married toguitar.gifstillheart.gif, Mom to angel.gif 02/00, DSrainbow1284.gif blahblah.gif 02/10,  babyboy.gifpos.gif 02/13 and cat.gif07/96 delayedvax.gifgd.gifsigncirc1.giffly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif

#7 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM

We used our washpod right from the start.  For the newborn baths I would put the pod in the bathtub, scoot it over to the shallow end, then leave the bath water on low down in the deep end.  I'd swish DS around while holding on to him with both hands and would kind of casually use a little soap if I felt like it, to make him smell like the homemade soap I made him orngbiggrin.gif (since as previous posters have mentioned they aren't really dirty except in the diaper area, which you're already cleaning as you go along), then I'd support him in the tub with one hand while I used the other hand to fill a cup with water from the running faucet and pour it over his head, neck and shoulders.  As the baby gets more head control it gets easier--I loved our washpod!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page