Probiotics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone take these or give them to their babe? Or know of a reputable site I can research them? Just wondering, TIA!!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#2 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 AM

nak

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/preventing-thrush.html

scroll down - there are some peer-reviewed references at the bottom that may be helpful.

#3 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 AM

I took them right after DD was born because I was given antibiotics in the hospital for Strep B. I took probiotics for about a month, and then I got lazy and started forgetting. Ive never given them to DD, and personally, I think as long as she is nursing she wont need them.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I took them right after DD was born because I was given antibiotics in the hospital for Strep B. 

Ive never given them to DD, and personally, I think as long as she is nursing she wont need them.

Ditto.  DS is 10 days old.  I've been taking a daily probiotic since we got home from the hospital on day 4.  I had antibiotics during labor for strep B and DS had antibiotics on day 2 and 3 after birth due to elevated WBC.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#5 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM

We use Udo's Choice Infant's Probiotic here. Initially I started Cecilia on probiotics because she was having terrible gas pains which I attested to her developing gut but also the fact that we use donated breastmilk as well as my own, and often several donors at a time. The probiotics worked so well that I never want to give them up!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#6 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM

I give our LO Baby's Jarro-Dophilus daily and I usually take an acidophilus (when I remember).  Helps with gas and keeps the yeast in check :)

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#7 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Yes! Both my daughters take this. Dd is 9 months. The naturopath we see rec'd it for them.

We had given older dd the Baby's Jarro-dophilus when she was little. I think it is an important thing to take and take probiotics myself. 

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#8 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 PM

I take them daily (switching between a few brands)  and am considering using  these: http://www.biogaia.com/consumer/biogaia-probiotic-products/probiotic-drops

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#9 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriecurls View Post

I take them daily (switching between a few brands)  and am considering using  these: http://www.biogaia.com/consumer/biogaia-probiotic-products/probiotic-drops

I don't take probiotics (but I do eat yogurt) but do give them to my little guy, starting around 2 weeks old.  I noticed an immediate difference for him in terms of gassy-ness and fussiness.  The above product (Bio Gaia) is the one that we use.  It is available in drops, which makes it very easy to give to baby.  In Canada I've found them at Safeway and at Shoppers Drug Mart.  You just need to ask at the pharmacy as they need to be refrigerated. 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#10 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM

I take them. It makes a huge difference for me. It keeps me regular and keeps the yeast in check.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#11 of 12 Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM

I am very interested in this topic and am glad that I was able to find some links here for more info.  Curious to hear the frequency that you use them.   My daughters are school aged children and I need to look into finding more info about dosing for children.  Are there any brands that are made specifically for older children? 

#12 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks for posting this!!  My ds has been having HORRIBLE smelling gas and I have given him yogurt a few times on days when it is really bad.  He was sick and in the hospital and of course they gave him IV antibiotics.  I'm wondering if this has screwed up his gut and how long will it take to heal? Anyways, you've inspired me to start giving him probiotics regularly.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page