Give me your best natural remedies for a sick (coughing) babe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, this is the edited post:

I've already tried humidifiers, GSE, eucalyptus baths, nasal spray and aspirator, ginger, water, nursing tons, albuterol inhaler. Any other suggestions for a wet cough?

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
 (please no posts about how I should follow the doctors orders and not jeopardize my son's health). 

Sorry but I can't follow the above. You needed antibiotics to get better. It follows that if your son has been coughing for a month and you have tried a ton of home based remedies that have not worked, it is time to try conventional medicine.

We avoid antibiotics as a rule in our house as well. But, there is no denying they are an effective weapon when used properly and judiciously.

#3 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 AM

any chance it could be pertussis?  if so, have you read about sodium ascorbate?  i always avoid abx too...if they could prove it to be bacterial (which even bronchitis usually isn't - it's often viral), i would use them, but if it's viral, abx hinder the immune system. 

#4 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post

any chance it could be pertussis?  if so, have you read about sodium ascorbate?  i always avoid abx too...if they could prove it to be bacterial (which even bronchitis usually isn't - it's often viral), i would use them, but if it's viral, abx hinder the immune system. 

Exactly. That's what I tell the docs. They just rely too heavily on them and look dumbly at me when I explain this to them or ask why they think it's bacterial. It's not pertussis, I was tested and he's not getting worse or have most signs of it. (though when I told them he doesn't have any vax they sure did jump on me to test me!)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#5 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#6 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 AM

We use Elderberry syrup for cough with our 19mo, we also try and stay away from prescriptions but have had to use amoxicillin once ( long story short apparently DS is allergic to blueberries in a massive way, so he had a diaper rash that cleared mostly, but ended up getting infected in one small area) 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#7 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

There is value to a wait-and-see approach to illness.  You have now waited a month.  You haven't seen the infection go away.  Antibiotics were needed for your illness, and you state that you believe your son has the same infection.  Your child is already struggling to breathe, which is why he is on albuterol.  Pneumonia is very serious in babies, and your ds has now been sick for 1/8 of his life.  If he doesn't have pneumonia from this infection yet, he likely will very soon.  Has he had a chest x-ray?

What sign would make you feel ready to administer antibiotics?  Are you looking for fever?  Dehydration?  Lethargy?  An illness that goes on for 8 weeks instead of 4 or 5?  Positive culture for bacterial infection?  Fluid in his lungs?  O2 levels below a certain point?  Are you only willing to do antibiotics via an IV in hospital?  What is it that you anticipate happening in a few days that would make the antibiotics obviously necessary or completely unnecessary?  

My first dd didn't need antibiotics for anything until she was exposed to Lyme disease at age 4.  I was so proud that we got that far without a serious illness and I chalked it up to the awesome qualities of my breast milk.  My second dd has asthma, and she can go from a mild ear infection to pneumonia frighteningly fast.  No amount of mama milk and natural treatment can keep her healthy.  It's not a failure to administer antibiotics to a child who needs them.  A kid who has been struggling with a respiratory infection for a month needs them.  You can shower him with natural remedies at the same time.  This infection is affecting your child's ability to breathe.  Breathing is really important.  

#8 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM

And our ped's office actually has signs in every room explaining why they no longer give antibiotics for ear infections, sore throats, colds, etc. They always take a wait and see approach to illnesses. So, when our doctor did write a script for antibiotics (my son has taken them only once) I knew she really believed he needed them.

#9 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 AM

I agree that penicillin is ridiculously overprescribed and shouldn't be the first thing doctors think to give a baby!

This coughing remedy is going to sound weird but three generations of my family says it works!  Brew some very strong chamomile tea and add lemon.  Let it sit until tepid.  Wrap the following in a square of cheesecloth:  anise seed, crystallized ginger and black peppercorn.  Securely tie off the cheesecloth.

Dunk the cheesecloth bag into the tea/lemon mixture and let sit for 30 seconds.  This helps to activate the ingredients.  Allow the child to suck on the cheesecloth bag.  It is very soothing for the throat and my children love it.  It really helps with coughs.

Good luck; I hope your little one feels better soon!

Anetta, earthmama in the City lady.gif  Wife and best friend to DH reading.gif, SAHM to our little princess Leda dust.gif and furbabies Hans and Heidi  dog2.gifdog2.gif

Happily expecting a pair of "oops!" twins in October!  oops.gif  oops.gif

#10 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, geez, looks like I need to edit my first post. Thank you for those of you that actually gave me natural remedy hints. For the rest: I did not ask for your medical advice on RXs. I really didn't think i'd need to share the whole story, I know the advice is well meant, but not what I asked for or need. I'm pretty sure that I am not going to jeapordize my son's health! I never said he can't breathe and I have many reasons why to wait on the amoxicillin. I'm not just against all antibiotics, as mentioned, I took some. However, DS has seen 4 docs, all but the last saying he should not take antibiotics w/his symptoms, the one that did prescribe them saw him for 1 or 2 min (like she practically had it written b4 seeing him), was not his normal doc. We have penicillin allergies in the fam. Also I was on them after his birth and got c-diff and he was affected too. In the last month of his coughing he's learned to crawl and pull to a stand, has been laughing, spent much time w/family who had no clue he was sick so he's not going to be needing an IV or hospital any time soon. He's also seen a chiro, who i trust.

That being said, please do not write more on how i need to follow doc's orders, what am I waiting for (i'm not waiting for him to get worse, bc he's been getting better, not worse), and give him meds, I really don't appreciate it. If, however, you have ideas on other natural ways to soothe him, I'm all ears.

Sorry if this comes off rude, but no one likes to be questioned on how they're parenting;)

#11 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamashtu View Post

I agree that penicillin is ridiculously overprescribed and shouldn't be the first thing doctors think to give a baby!

This coughing remedy is going to sound weird but three generations of my family says it works!  Brew some very strong chamomile tea and add lemon.  Let it sit until tepid.  Wrap the following in a square of cheesecloth:  anise seed, crystallized ginger and black peppercorn.  Securely tie off the cheesecloth.

Dunk the cheesecloth bag into the tea/lemon mixture and let sit for 30 seconds.  This helps to activate the ingredients.  Allow the child to suck on the cheesecloth bag.  It is very soothing for the throat and my children love it.  It really helps with coughs.

Good luck; I hope your little one feels better soon!

Oh, the only thing I don't have is anise, but i'm going to try it w/the rest, thanks!

#12 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

Oh, geez, looks like I need to edit my first post. Thank you for those of you that actually gave me natural remedy hints. For the rest: I did not ask for your medical advice on RXs. I really didn't think i'd need to share the whole story, I know the advice is well meant, but not what I asked for or need. I'm pretty sure that I am not going to jeapordize my son's health! I never said he can't breathe and I have many reasons why to wait on the amoxicillin. I'm not just against all antibiotics, as mentioned, I took some. However, DS has seen 4 docs, all but the last saying he should not take antibiotics w/his symptoms, the one that did prescribe them saw him for 1 or 2 min (like she practically had it written b4 seeing him), was not his normal doc. We have penicillin allergies in the fam. Also I was on them after his birth and got c-diff and he was affected too. In the last month of his coughing he's learned to crawl and pull to a stand, has been laughing, spent much time w/family who had no clue he was sick so he's not going to be needing an IV or hospital any time soon. He's also seen a chiro, who i trust.

That being said, please do not write more on how i need to follow doc's orders, what am I waiting for (i'm not waiting for him to get worse, bc he's been getting better, not worse), and give him meds, I really don't appreciate it. If, however, you have ideas on other natural ways to soothe him, I'm all ears.

Sorry if this comes off rude, but no one likes to be questioned on how they're parenting;)

My suggestion is to take him back to his regular doctor, if that's who you trust more. I'm not questioning your parenting, but you had mentioned in that first post that the last doctor was seen yesterday, two weeks after the last. Two weeks with no improvement (making a month in total) is significant and might have changed the other doctors' opinions as well. I know you said he's improving, but then I wonder why you felt he needed to be seen again just recently, you know?

I agree that antibiotics are WAY overprescribed, and have also waited before filling prescriptions. However, the fact that your own illness responded to antibiotics and given the length of your son's illness, I would at least consider that this is a baterial infection and might be resistant to natural remedies. I also think your concern regarding penicillin (given your family history) is a vaild one, and I'm sure there are other options that could be considered. Anyway, I realize that you're not interested in administering the antibiotics at this point, but I think a trip back to your son's family doctor may be warranted. Chiropractors are really great complementary health providers, but they shouldn't take the place of a trained physician, you know?

Anyway, whatever you do, I hope he's feeling better soon! I hate seeing my kiddo sick!

#13 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 AM

yeahthat.gif also, an untreated cough can lead to pneumonia, and the constant irritation that coughing causes can damage your child's respiratory tract.  I think there is a lot of a validity in treating his illness along the same way you treated yours.  You have tried natural remedies and you have not seen much progress. A month is a long time for an infant to be sick when he does not need to be.

edited for a typo.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#14 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 AM

I always use thyme, eucalyptus & lavender oils, 1 or 2 drops of each mixed in a carrier oil (I use grapeseed) and massaged into the lung area. The thyme really helps dislodge the gunk. Also you might try sage tea, given directly to baby. Sage can interfere with your milk supply if you drink it. Good luck.

~M

~Manjari~ crafty lady, momma to DS Prahlad (3/07) and DD Daisy (7/10). Happily married to my Boo.
#15 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

I saw your OP while looking for info for my dd in regards to her noob.  Please take your lo to the dr.  A month is far too long to be ill with a respiratory illness.  These are the kinds of things that can cause long term lung problems.  You were ill, went in and get abx's for yourself to get well, doesn't your lo deserve the same care?  I'm not trying to take issue with you, I'm just not understanding your double standard in regards to health care.  

:
#16 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

My dd was hospitalized within 24 hours of hanging out with family who noted how energetic she was and had no idea she was sick.  Infants can get super-critically ill super-fast.  By all means, have your son suck on a tea bag, slather him in essential oils, take him to a chiropractor and do anything else you think will shorten his illness.  It can't hurt, though, to call your doc, explain your concerns with amoxicillin, and ask for a different antibiotic.  You've gotten different reactions from doctors because you saw them at different times, when your ds had been sick for a shorter period.  They were waiting and seeing, and now, they've waited and they've seen.  A cough that goes on and on needs to be treated medically, not just with home remedies.

#17 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 01:10 PM

I tried similar things with my son's cough, because our HMO doesn't like to give prescriptions unless it's really necessary.  After going to multiple visits and doctors, they eventually did a chest xray and diagnosed pneumonia based on the lungs. Luckily there wasn't damage, but if left alone, there could have been scarring and subsequent issues.  What surprised me is that he didn't act like a super sick kid.  He still was playing and smiley and happy, but he was very ill.  When we gave him the antibiotics, he responded immediately, and was doing a lot better within a day or two.

#18 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM

I guess I"m confused.  Why try antibiotics for yourself and not for your kiddo??? 

I know your looking for natural remedies but it sounds like you really have tried a ton.  A month of being sick with a cough is absolutely no fun for anyone, you dealing with a sick baby or for your baby. 

If your concerned about antibiotics being penicillian why not give pediatrician a call and tell them your concerns.  They will probably change it without much questions, at least our ped does. 

Also C-diff is passed through contact as well not just by recieving antibiotics....so he most likely won't end up with that issue and you can take probiotics and try to do other things to keep gut healthy to prevent it while he is on antibiotics. 

I'd really hate to see your baby end up super sick or with long term problems if the issue gets worse.  I can tell you from personal experience than dealing with a hospitalized baby from pneumonia is NO fun.  (Daily xrays, IV abx, labwork etc) as well as every single respiratory bug will take hold on their lungs so much easier without all the scaring and damage)

Good luck and I hope he gets better asap!

Mama to a zoo!
#19 of 19 Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Well, leaving out conventional medicine and what you've already tried, maybe leeches? Excorcism? Animal sacrifice?

Fwiw, I am allergic to penicillin, but my daughter isn't. That being said, I'm sure your doctor can prescribe something else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page