How much do you wear your older baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD's 10 mo and 20 pounds or so, but we have found a comfortable back carry position that works for both of us.  I wonder sometimes about overusing it, though, and I feel a little guilty because it is so convenient for me.  She's on the verge of walking so I want to make sure she gets enough time to do her thing.

Sometimes she lets me know she wants to get down, but sometimes she seems to chill out for an hour or more.  It's just so much easier to load a wood stove with two hands.....!

Just curious what others are doing.  

(posted here rather than babywearing since I think maybe it's more of a "stages" question?)

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Honestly, if she's cool with it, I wouldn't stress it! I think she'll do just fine with walking whether she's worn or not. :)

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I know she'll learn to walk one way or the other, I just want her to have enough practice time during the DAY rather than at night :)

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM

ROTFLMAO.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
MJB

I wore my second constantly until 18 mos. and he started walking at 8.5 mos. Don't worry about it-- it's convenient and it's working for both of you!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM

I only wear them when they need to be up (no where to put them down) while I need to do something or we're somewhere.  In the kitchen, he sits in his chair munching on whatever I give him.  But he pretty much can be on the floor the rest of the time we're at home.  He's mostly in the sling while out of the house cause I don't always want to lug our huge stroller out of the van.

Mama of three.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

I wore my second constantly until 18 mos. and he started walking at 8.5 mos. Don't worry about it-- it's convenient and it's working for both of you!

When you say "constantly," is that like 2 hours a day?  3?  Just curious.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

But he pretty much can be on the floor the rest of the time we're at home.  

Sounds like your house is much better baby-proofed than ours.  :)    We have a nice big play area, and space in the bedroom & bathroom, but the rest of the house needs some work. 

Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. You love it. Your DD loves it. Have fun I say!!!

I carry Shane EVERYWHERE and I have no plans to stop when he gets older. smile.gif

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM

I have worn continuously from birth.  He is nearing 8 months old - I don't know his exactly weight but my guess is that he is over 20lbs! - and is worn for a least 7 hours of a 12 hour 'day'.  He is crawling, cruising and just started to climb the stairs today - so clearly not hindered in any way! lol  He too will let me know when he wants down - more often than not he wants up these days (thats to be expected - when they take steps forward in development, they also in turn get a bit more 'clingy' too!).  With a lot of these things, I just set him down and he did it.  Like with sitting up - he was around 5 months old and I just set him down out of the wrap one day and he was sitting up.  In some cultures, the babies stay in the sling for awhole year - where they take them out one day and they just walk off!  Children get plenty of exercise being worn - you really can't wear them too much.  It has been equated to horse back riding (physically - no pun intended! hehe) - which is great exercise!  He is still mostly worn on my front - but like you, will go to my back (gotta love a double hammock carry!) when I need my front and two hands to do stuff (iron, load the washing mashing, hang up wet laundry - yesterday he napped for two hours on my back whilst I raked and bagged up leaves in our back garden! :))  You are obviously listening to her and her needs - as long as you are not force wearing (which would be hard to do anyhow - babies are very strong! hehe) then there should be no problem with it! :)   

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My 13.5 month old son has been walking for a few months now.  I carry him for 3-5 hours a day between housework, errands, naps............

I've always worn him a lot- I think the wearing really developed his balance and muscle tone. You can't beat it for vestibular stimulation, lots of up/down, side to side and forward/backward movement.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 AM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

When you say "constantly," is that like 2 hours a day?  3?  Just curious.

Probably 2-5, depending on how much we were out of the house and how needy he (and his big brother) were being. Even from 1.5-2+ I wore him a couple hours a day. 

Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.  I'm not super angsty about it, just wondering what kind of time people put in.  Guess I want to be "fair" about doling out floor time.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM

In the mornings at home, DS is on the floor in the baby-proofed part of the house. When we're out and about, he's worn almost 100% of the time.

I wear him most often in the time between his afternoon nap and bedtime, when he tends to be more fractious. He doesn't love the back carry, so he's generally in the Ergo on my front or in our sling. I also wear him quite a bit when I'm getting DD ready for school in the mornings.

We get so many comments on how very comfortable he looks in the Pikkolo when we're out - we've changed some people's minds completely about babywearing based on how happy he looks.

I suspect DS might get worn MORE at home rather than less in the coming months as he is getting more adventurous. His nickname is Danger Boy.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

I still wear my 3 yr old on occasion and my 20 mo old when we go shopping :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post

In the mornings at home, DS is on the floor in the baby-proofed part of the house. When we're out and about, he's worn almost 100% of the time.

I wear him most often in the time between his afternoon nap and bedtime, when he tends to be more fractious. He doesn't love the back carry, so he's generally in the Ergo on my front or in our sling. I also wear him quite a bit when I'm getting DD ready for school in the mornings.

We get so many comments on how very comfortable he looks in the Pikkolo when we're out - we've changed some people's minds completely about babywearing based on how happy he looks.

I suspect DS might get worn MORE at home rather than less in the coming months as he is getting more adventurous. His nickname is Danger Boy.

Haha yes, "fractious" - great word to describe my DD's evening mood, too.  She was not comfortable in the Ergo back carry until I started putting the bottom band up a bit higher (around my waist rather than at my hips).  That made all the difference for us (and thank goodness, because the front carry is NOT as good for loading wood on a live fire.....)

User Tag List