Help me stop over-medicating my baby! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am not a hypochondriac when it comes to myself, but I always have been totally paranoid about the health of any non-verbal things in my life: the car, the cat, and now, it seems, the baby.  In the hour before putting DD to bed tonight I rubbed her with hydrocortisone (she's scratching her exzema like crazy today!) and coconut oil.  Then she took her Prevacid for reflux, acetaminophen because she's teething, and saline nose drops because she's been waking up swallowing hard on mucous.  Just before bed she got a dose of Zyrtec, which her pediatrician suggested for allergic exzema flare-ups and two Hylands tablets.  After all of that she was still fussy and couldn't sleep rubbing her gums against my shoulder.  I rubbed on some Orajel and she was out in a matter of seconds.  Sigh.  It's too much, right??  But I want her to sleep well and not be uncomfortable, and it's SO hard to know which ailment she's suffering from and what will be the best solution.  Most nights it seems that whatever drug I don't give her is the one that she ends up needing, and the various medications do seem to help.  But...it just seems wrong to give an overall healthy baby so many remedies.  What do you all think?  Am I being a crazy over-medicator? 

#2 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, keep in mind that no one else knows your baby and you're accusing yourself of overmedicating, so the responses you get are going to be that it does sound like a bit much, lol. It does sound like a bit much, but is this a regular thing or just a tonight thing? If you gave her tylenol, she doesn't need Orajel. If Hyland's don't work, why are you giving them to her - they're basically just sugar, so the least of your worries is teething tablets, but why do it if they don't work? Personally, I do not give Tylenol for every day I think a baby is teething. If I did, my younger DD would've been taking it a few times a day, almost daily, for the past 3 months. That's definitely not healthy. If it's an occasional thing, no big deal, but doing it regularly is pretty bad for them. I have no idea how bad her eczema is, but the first thing you should always, always do is try to determine if it's food-related. I've seen more kids' eczema clear up in days when quitting dairy than you'd imagine. If that doesn't help, then just slather it with moisturizer like 10 times a day. Keep it shiny. Even if you have to resort to something totally "unnatural" that's better than hydrocortisone and Zyrtec. If none of that works, then I can't really give medical advice or anything, so I guess rely on someone who can. :)

Oh, and saline nose drops aren't medicated and do help, especially in the dry winter, so carry on with those as necessary and don't worry about it.

#3 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

If Hyland's don't work, why are you giving them to her - they're basically just sugar, so the least of your worries is teething tablets, but why do it if they don't work?

Totally disagree. 

To the OP, I would say defintely, yes.  I don't know how bad her eczema is, but there are heaps of natural things you can do instead of hydrocortisone.  Hydrocortisone is not nice stuff.   It thins the skin, which can make the problem even worse when they scratch.  The more often you use it, the worse it is.  I would not give tylenol for teething unless it is *really* bad.  I would try a natural teething gel and some Camilia(homeopathic) first...and use the tylenol if all else fails.  Dentist said that orajel actually toughens the gums and makes it harder for the new teeth to break through making the teething worse in the long run.  The prescription stuff I don't know about.  Are you just supposed to give them when you feel she needs them?  I wouldn't just give her meds before bed because you are worried she *might* need them.  I would try and find the root of the problems instead of covering the symptoms.  I agree with pp that, if you haven't yet, try to cut out dairy, etc.  I know it is hard to tell what little needs because they can't tell you, but less is really more, if you can help it.  All those things have side effects and it's really best to keep it minimal unless absolutely necessary. 

Eeyore35 likes this.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#4 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM

nak, sorry,

just fyi-- I would never give a baby zyrtec. Search "zyrtec withdrawal" on google. 

and I would not give tylenol/motrin for teething unless the pain is really bad. My babies are uncomfotable for weeks before the teeth come in but only 'need' pain meds the night the teeth actually erupt. 

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#5 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM

I would say that's a LOT of medication... but I don't take meds & I have never given my 22mo any meds (though occasionally homeopathics) so I have a very different perspective! My view is that my DS is fine & healthy & going through normal & necessary development so I do not need to 'treat' it. The one time I 'treated' him was when he had a small cut that wasn't healing (for weeks), so we gave him some drops our homeopath gave us & applied calendula cream. We do not give him anything for teething, because he has been teething almost non-stop since 4mos old & I cringe at the thought of medicating him that long!! I actually have found that lots of cuddles & singing to him, telling him stories, etc. works GREAT at soothing pain. We had a lot of major reflux but he grew out of it eventually, without meds, and actually eliminating gluten from my diet helped a ton with his reflux because it was partly related to my oversupply issues. Running a humidifier at night seems to help with his stuffiness (though I see no issue with saline drops I guess, as long as it's not EVERY day). I guess I am just trying to say that it's possible to treat normal infant ailments without medication -- though only you can say if what your DD is experiencing is 'normal' or something more severe. I would try stopping all unnecessary meds for a few days & see if she does OK. I think over-medicating can prevent kids from developing a tolerance to discomfort & make them hypersensitive to pain (but that's just my own personal theory!) Also I would worry that all those chemicals could have side effects (I know acetaminophen can damage the liver, for example).... Is that 'typical' for how much meds you give her daily or was today a one-time thing?

Zyon'sMommy likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I would definitely try to go to something like Eucerine or Aquapher for the eczema over hydrocortozone. Other than that, it seems like you're on 3 different medications for teething. That's overkill. Orajel is bad stuff, my pediatrician said to only use Tylenol if you're going to medicate but to try other stuff. Have you tried rubbing whiskey on her gums instead? It's worth a shot. If the Hylands aren't working for you, don't use them. If the Tylenol alone isn't working I wouldn't use that either. I tend to be less crunchy about medicines than others on this board though, so I would probably use the Tylenol at night if it worked. You might also try Motrin (ibuprophen) if your LO is over 6 months.

S basically I'd cut down to the Prevacid and some kind of teething remedy.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#7 of 34 Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post

nak, sorry,

just fyi-- I would never give a baby zyrtec. Search "zyrtec withdrawal" on google. 

and I would not give tylenol/motrin for teething unless the pain is really bad. My babies are uncomfotable for weeks before the teeth come in but only 'need' pain meds the night the teeth actually erupt. 

I agree. 

To an outsider the list you posted was so long it's hard for me to imagine your little baby's body being able to handle all of it.  Personally, the only thing I'd be comfy with are the saline drops, the coconut oil and the occasional Orajel, (but we rub whiskey on their teeth).

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#8 of 34 Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone for your very thoughtful responses.  I know I really put myself on the line for condemnation, but I really just want to make sure I'm doing what I can to make my baby comfortable.

Anyway, last night was exceptional, but highlighted my tendency to rush to medication whenever there's a (perceived) problem.  That, I think, is the biggest problem.  DD's regular list is somewhat shorter, at least:

Prevacid - Her reflux is bad enough that this is necessary.  She gets it daily, 45 minutes before bed so it's at its full effect at night. 

Coconut oil - She gets slathered several times a day to keep her exzema at bay. 

Saline - Even if it doesn't help the post-nasal drip as much as I'd like, it does help with her crusty winter nosey.

Hylands - not every night, but often.  She's 8.5 months with no teeth, so obviously sore gums have been a frequent part of our life.  I think Hylands work well for her average sore gums, but aren't enough when her teething pain ramps up. 

The Tylenol is the real problem.  I never give her more than one dose a day, right before bed, but I know I shouldn't do even that on a very regular basis.  Usually what happens is there comes a day when the Hylands aren't enough to relieve her pain and allow her to sleep, so after several restless nighttime hours I give her the tylenol and she sleeps relatively soundly thereafter.  Then the next night I try to avoid those few hours of initial restlessness by giving her the tylenol right away.  I get in the habit of giving it to her and it takes me a few days before I realize that I don't even know if she needs it.  In the past week or so I have given her Orajel about 4 times when, for the first time in her life, even with Tylenol she couldn't stop crying and rubbing her mouth on my shoulder.  She falls asleep seconds after I put it on and the effects seems to extend throughout the night.  I think whiskey will provide relief, but I'm not convinced that the effects will last, which is really what we both need during our already short and fractured nights.  I will give it a try, though.

DD is prone to allergies, food and otherwise, and I give her the hydrocortisone ONLY when she's having an allergic flare-up because it seems to provide quick relief for the intense itching.  She's on a hypoallergenic formula and gets no other dairy or gluten (that I'm aware of, anyway), and since she's formula fed she doesn't get these things through me either.  I avoid all products, lotions, detergents, materials, etc. that I know cause her problems, but...she's young and there's a lot of things she hasn't been exposed to yet.  I know hydrocortisone isn't great for her skin, but I feel like it's a trade-off because itching worsens her rash and creates a vicious cycle.  Is there something out there that is less harmful but will give near-instant, lasting relief to intense itching from an allergic flare-up? 

The straw that broke the camel's back was the Zyrtec, which I gave her last night for the first time when her exzema flared up, intending it as a crisis-only type of medication.  I think I gave it to her more as a diagnosis tool than anything else, since nothing I've done has really helped her sleep more soundly.  If she responds to the Zyrtec then I can be pretty sure that there's still some allergy causing her post-nasal drip and other issues.  The Orajel is the same way - it SPEAKS for her.  When she responds to it, I KNOW that she's suffering from teething pain.  I know this sounds misguided, but DD is chronically uncomfortable and I still haven't been able to figure out why.  Homeopathics tend to have such diffuse effects, they may help her, but they won't help me finally target the right ailment. 

Anyway, I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here, but am still torn by the urge to make sure my baby is comfortable and getting enough sleep, which she often doesn't.  I think this may go more deeply into my psychology than I initially thought. Sigh.  Motherhood sure can be complicated sometimes. 

Thanks again for the encouragement. 

#9 of 34 Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm so like you. I definitely go towards medicines for myself and for my baby, and as a rule I don't apologize for it. I couldn't sleep if I was itching my skin off, or had horrible heartburn, or had a horrible toothache. So I take medicines or do things for myself and I do give them to my baby. My son is on Prevacid as well (though we give in the morning), and I probably wouldn't hesitate to give Tylenol for teething.

Here's what I would say though, be careful of giving medicine just because you're trying to figure stuff out. If you're going to do that, start with the least "dangerous" and go up from there, but give stuff a chance to work. For example, I would start with THICK Eucerine/Aquapher and give that a day or two of applying it at every diaper change. From there, could you try calamine lotion? Or an Aveeno or oatmeal bath? I'd DEFINITELY introduce a humidifier in her room for the nose. There's really nothing so bad about saline drops, as long as they don't have medicine in them, but I can't imagine it's necessary to use them every day. The humidifier should keep her nose moist. Orajel is literally worthless. It works for like, 10 minutes MAYBE. I know this because I practically bought stock in Orajel when I was an adolescent with braces for 4 years. I could pretty much always be caught putting it on my teeth and gums. Why? Because it doesn't last. Seriously, you might be better off with whiskey. I've also heard trying vanilla extract as it has alcohol in it as well as the soothing aromatherapy of vanilla.

I'd say if you're not seeing results from Tylenol, I wouldn't go to Orajel. I would maybe look into Motrin.

#10 of 34 Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

I am not a hypochondriac when it comes to myself, but I always have been totally paranoid about the health of any non-verbal things in my life: the car, the cat, and now, it seems, the baby.  In the hour before putting DD to bed tonight I rubbed her with hydrocortisone (she's scratching her exzema like crazy today!) and coconut oil.  Then she took her Prevacid for reflux, acetaminophen because she's teething, and saline nose drops because she's been waking up swallowing hard on mucous.  Just before bed she got a dose of Zyrtec, which her pediatrician suggested for allergic exzema flare-ups and two Hylands tablets.  After all of that she was still fussy and couldn't sleep rubbing her gums against my shoulder.  I rubbed on some Orajel and she was out in a matter of seconds.  Sigh.  It's too much, right??  But I want her to sleep well and not be uncomfortable, and it's SO hard to know which ailment she's suffering from and what will be the best solution.  Most nights it seems that whatever drug I don't give her is the one that she ends up needing, and the various medications do seem to help.  But...it just seems wrong to give an overall healthy baby so many remedies.  What do you all think?  Am I being a crazy over-medicator? 

I can totally relate! Tylenol or Camilia for teething, calendula cream for eczema (still working to find out what is causing the eczema), Prevacid for reflux, simethicone for gas (not always,t hough) and while battling this cold...saline for nose!  I don't think you're "crazy" but I think it's best to use all in moderation, which I'm sure you truly are doing.  Wanting babe to get some good sleep and be comfortable isn't wrong. 

#11 of 34 Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

. Sigh.  Motherhood sure can be complicated sometimes. 

Yes, I feel this same way often...if not all the time. :)

#12 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 AM

I think you need to look more for a source of all her issues. It sounds like she has some pretty bad allergies, so I would consider switching her formula if you've ruled everything else out -- some babies can't even tolerate the hypoallergenic stuff. Also look at environmental causes, perhaps a family pet, or mold, or something... 

It just seems way over-the-top to me to give a baby that many treatments every day. Eczema & post-nasal drip are classic allergy symptoms, and even reflux can be allergy-related. I would definitely bring her to the pedi or an allergist and see if you can get to the bottom of this rather than continually masking the problems with medication.

Also, 8.5-10 months or so is a notoriously bad time for sleep. It could be more of a developmental thing than a medical issue (and just coincidence that she relaxed & slept well after taking the meds... or maybe she was too drugged for her brain to keep her awake!) Around that time, my DS woke up every 5 minutes for half the night, it was horrible, but there are TONS of stories just like mine (well maybe every 45 minutes instead of every 5!) for 9mo babies in Nighttime Parenting.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#13 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Also, 8.5-10 months or so is a notoriously bad time for sleep. It could be more of a developmental thing than a medical issue (and just coincidence that she relaxed & slept well after taking the meds... or maybe she was too drugged for her brain to keep her awake!) Around that time, my DS woke up every 5 minutes for half the night, it was horrible, but there are TONS of stories just like mine (well maybe every 45 minutes instead of every 5!) for 9mo babies in Nighttime Parenting.

I'm really glad you said this.  It sounds like the op is expecting too much out of her dd regarding sleep.  Babies teeth and they don't sleep well at that age, regardless of how they slept previously.  They are learning new things and growing fast.  They just do not sleep well.  You *can't* drug her into *good* sleep.  It's not going to happen and is a bad road to go down.  I would *not* be giving Tylenol so often, actually not at all.  Tylenol should be an absolute last resort.  It damages the liver and is filled with things that are best to be avoided.  You are not going to find out why your dd is chronically uncomfortable by over-medicating her.  I would really do some hard studying on the long-term effects of the things you are using.  Why add to her problems?

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#14 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 AM
MJB

I'm not "against" medicine and I use them when I am in pain or any of my children are in pain (although I avoid it when they have fevers as I think fevers help them get better faster). But that sounds like a lot of medicine for a baby. I would try to avoid the hydrocortisone and Zyrtec, at least, and I don't believe in homeopathy so I'd skip the Hylands too although I don't think they cause any harm. 

I have a lot of contact dermatitis and occasional eczema flare-ups and have found Weleda calendula oil works like magic. It's really for babies but I use it on myself. 

Also I use Motrin instead of Tylenol because I believe it is less harmful. I will give either Motrin or Oragel to my teething baby, but I've found Oragel works more immediately and works best when she's in a lot of pain. Also, you can use just a tiny amount right where it hurts. I have also used clove oil before (there's an herbal mix called gumomile that has clove oil and chamomile in it) and it works like Oragel. The problem is it tastes awful to babies, and I think it might burn a little. Obviously you'd have the same issues with whiskey (and I don't believe whiskey is safer than ibuprofen or oragel).

#15 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm also weary of so many medications. Tylenol, zrytec, orajel etc all carry risk with them. Not just the risk of the actual medication, but also recalls, contamination, reacations to dye etcs. It really helps me to remember that it's *is* a trade off-- slightly increased risk for less pain. I have never given tylenol for just teething, but I have for fever. My son didn't seem to react too bad to teething, however.  I did try the hylands tablets, but stopped after teh recall.

I also did use hyrocorizone for some excema behind my son's ears. We tried everything else under the son for months, but they were so cut up that the couldn't heal, and since coudln't heal, they would never stay dry... it was a horrible cycle, and we did end up using the medication to break it, and it worked out great. I would make sure that you understand exactly what you are trying to acheive when giving a medication.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#16 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 02:39 PM

About the hydrocortisone-- just wanted to say that I've done a LOT of research on it and talked to my ped and it's not harmful to babies at all in moderation. It won't thin the skin or cause rebound issues if you don't use it every day. My daughter gets some rough/red/rashy patches sometimes and what we do is apply a thin layer of low-strength hydrocortisone cream after her bath, and then apply some vaseline or aquaphor over it. We do this anywhere from 1-3 times a week and it works like a charm.

caffix.gif
#17 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Honestly, it seems like a lot of medicines.  I would not bother with baby tylenol for teething. I would use infant ibuprofen or motrin and only if she seems miserable, preferably with food/milk. DD is pretty fussy for weeks when it comes to her teeth and I would be going through a LOT of medicine if I go did that. Hylands don't do anything and I think they were recalled.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#18 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM

that seems like a lot to me... but i feel like i can feel the worry through the computer while reading your words. it is okay if they feel a little bit of pain. honestly... have you tried gum massaging? does she have a paci to suck on, thumb? do you guys cosleep? i would stop everything and get down to the bottom of the eczema if possible then go from there.

i feel like motrin is so so hard on the stomach so they get it very rarely. (i also believe fevers are good, but i watch them very closely)

mama to one '07 and one '09
#19 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 03:32 PM

You know, she could be reacting to the dyes in Tylenol. Make sure if you have a baby who is sensitive to get the medication that is dye free. Target has a generic brand that is quite inexpensive. Does your daughter see an allergist? I assume so if she's on hypoallergenic formula and has severe eczema, but if not, you should DEFINITELY get one. It sounds like your LO has some extraordinary symptoms and they should be addressed by a professional who knows what they're doing, not just by trial and error.

#20 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

You know, she could be reacting to the dyes in Tylenol. Make sure if you have a baby who is sensitive to get the medication that is dye free.

I was also just about to say that she could have an allergy to something in the Prevacid.

#21 of 34 Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

You know, she could be reacting to the dyes in Tylenol. Make sure if you have a baby who is sensitive to get the medication that is dye free.

I was also just about to say that she could have an allergy to something in the Prevacid.

It could be possible. Especially if you're using the solutabs (which I assume she is since I think that's the only way to get that medication for infants). They're flavored and they have strange binders in them and could possibly even have lactose. When I used to get name-brand Prevacid, it used to be pink as well which tells me there was some kind of dye in it. Now that I have generic Prevacid, it's white (but still cherry flavored). This is why I'd suggest seeing an allergist, they'll be able to give you some better advice.

All I really know is that red dye #40 (which is in Tylenol IIRC and many other medicines) can be very intolerable to many, many people and ESPECIALLY to babies. So if you're going to use a pain killer, get some dye-free.

#22 of 34 Old 12-18-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post

Quote:

I'm really glad you said this.  It sounds like the op is expecting too much out of her dd regarding sleep.  Babies teeth and they don't sleep well at that age, regardless of how they slept previously.  They are learning new things and growing fast.  They just do not sleep well.  You *can't* drug her into *good* sleep.  It's not going to happen and is a bad road to go down.  I would *not* be giving Tylenol so often, actually not at all.  Tylenol should be an absolute last resort.  It damages the liver and is filled with things that are best to be avoided.  You are not going to find out why your dd is chronically uncomfortable by over-medicating her.  I would really do some hard studying on the long-term effects of the things you are using.  Why add to her problems?

Quote:

I would say that's a LOT of medication... but I don't take meds & I have never given my 22mo any meds (though occasionally homeopathics) so I have a very different perspective! My view is that my DS is fine & healthy & going through normal & necessary development so I do not need to 'treat' it. The one time I 'treated' him was when he had a small cut that wasn't healing (for weeks), so we gave him some drops our homeopath gave us & applied calendula cream. We do not give him anything for teething, because he has been teething almost non-stop since 4mos old & I cringe at the thought of medicating him that long!! I actually have found that lots of cuddles & singing to him, telling him stories, etc. works GREAT at soothing pain. We had a lot of major reflux but he grew out of it eventually, without meds, and actually eliminating gluten from my diet helped a ton with his reflux because it was partly related to my oversupply issues. Running a humidifier at night seems to help with his stuffiness (though I see no issue with saline drops I guess, as long as it's not EVERY day). I guess I am just trying to say that it's possible to treat normal infant ailments without medication -- though only you can say if what your DD is experiencing is 'normal' or something more severe. I would try stopping all unnecessary meds for a few days & see if she does OK. I think over-medicating can prevent kids from developing a tolerance to discomfort & make them hypersensitive to pain (but that's just my own personal theory!) Also I would worry that all those chemicals could have side effects (I know acetaminophen can damage the liver, for example).... Is that 'typical' for how much meds you give her daily or was today a one-time thing?

I agree with these posts.  Sometimes DD just has a rough night or two.  I do my best to soothe her, but I would worry MUCH more about the potential side effects of the medications than the root cause. It sounds like your LO has some legitimate allergy issues, so I would try to address them with an allergist to get them properly diagnosed.  I still would probably not medicate. I would try to eliminate the cause and use natural remedies to ease pain only in extreme circumstances - like the very few nights DD has not slept longer than 15 minutes at a time and it is 3am. You might even be able to ease off the prevacid depending on how old your child is - I know my DD stopped having reflux issues altogether a few months ago. Good luck!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#23 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've mulled this over a lot since I first posted this, and I feel like I've come to a much better place with all of these issues.  That's not to say I agree with everything that's been posted, but sometimes knowing what you don't agree with is just as helpful in determining what you DO.  One more thing I'd like to ask, though:  Many posters here referred to various medications in amorphous negative terms, like "nasty," or "harmful."  I'm a very primary-source kind of girl and just tend not to accept verdicts like that without seeing the facts.  Are there any links anyone can send me to studies, etc. on the effects of various medications or their components? 

#24 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 AM

I'd grab some studies for you but DS just woke up... check on googlescholar.com -- look up the various meds you are giving her -- I think it's a very good idea to carefully research any medication you plan to give her regularly and/or long-term. Some of the side effects mentioned in this thread are very likely mentioned in the drug inserts so I'd read those over carefully too. Ugh sorry the way I worded that is weird, did not mean that to sound the way it does but I have to go, DS is unplugging my laptop...

#25 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

I am not sure how old your daughter is, but for my son (who is now almost 5) his eczema was really bad when he was 9 months old. It turns out he has a really bad dust allergy, along with (now mostly outgrown) allergies to eggs, milk, soy, peanuts, corn and beef. The thing that really helped him between the ages of 9 and 18 months was regular probiotics--we put it in his bottles of pumped milk at daycare or into applesauce on weekends. Our pediatrician told us, "there is no experimental proof it works, but please give it a try prior to any medications." In fact, I think we might try it again now.

We started him on regular antihistamines when he was 3, but gave him occasional benadryl prior to that. the occasional benadryl helped him with really bad flares. We used (and still use) a prescription cream when the flares are at their worst, and use olive oil as a preventative daily.

We only started a regular antihistamine (he takes one called Xyzal--which is second generation Zyrtec available only by prescription) when all attempts at control via diet and environment had failed. His flares were cracked and bleeding--we felt we had no choice.

We are not anti-medication at all, but I would have felt very uncomfortable giving him regular medication prior to age 2. It took us quite a while to find the Xyzal--he failed trials of Zyrtec, Claritin, and Allegra. We're still looking for a medication to help with his asthma--he has failed trials of the medications we have tried for that as well.

#26 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post

I am not sure how old your daughter is, but for my son (who is now almost 5) his eczema was really bad when he was 9 months old. It turns out he has a really bad dust allergy, along with (now mostly outgrown) allergies to eggs, milk, soy, peanuts, corn and beef. The thing that really helped him between the ages of 9 and 18 months was regular probiotics--we put it in his bottles of pumped milk at daycare or into applesauce on weekends. Our pediatrician told us, "there is no experimental proof it works, but please give it a try prior to any medications." In fact, I think we might try it again now.

We started him on regular antihistamines when he was 3, but gave him occasional benadryl prior to that. the occasional benadryl helped him with really bad flares. We used (and still use) a prescription cream when the flares are at their worst, and use olive oil as a preventative daily.

We only started a regular antihistamine (he takes one called Xyzal--which is second generation Zyrtec available only by prescription) when all attempts at control via diet and environment had failed. His flares were cracked and bleeding--we felt we had no choice.

We are not anti-medication at all, but I would have felt very uncomfortable giving him regular medication prior to age 2. It took us quite a while to find the Xyzal--he failed trials of Zyrtec, Claritin, and Allegra. We're still looking for a medication to help with his asthma--he has failed trials of the medications we have tried for that as well.

Thanks for this.  We were giving her a probiotic at some point when she was having chronic indigestion.  It didn't seem to help that, but I didn't think to look at how it affected her exzema (which has been getting worse lately, despite our efforts with moisturizing).  I see the Zyrtec the way you describe the Benedryl - something to use on "special" occasions when an allergy flare-up occurs.  As we're dabbling into solids, I'm SURE we're going to find some foods she can't tolerate, and I'm really not looking forward to the results.  It sounds like your son is "the allergic type," as our ped described DD.  What were his symptoms like when he was young. How did you finally figure out what was triggering his allergies?

#27 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM

Our doctor told us that the Zyrtec was only good for eczema if you gave it regularly--just now I read that Dr. Sears disagrees, so who knows?

We were "lucky" I suppose, in that our son's first allergic reaction was so clear--I had gallbladder issues, so I switched to soy milk because cow's milk was really bad on my stomach. He was about 3 months old, and had bloody stool within 36 hours of me eating cereal with soy milk.

We pinpointed the soy and milk allergies right away without testing. At 9 months, I asked for a full panel because I was afraid of an egg allergy (I had already eliminated milk, soy and nuts from my diet)--the eggs and peanuts showed up then. the corn and beef allergies showed up on later panels (at 20 months for beef and 3 years for corn). At 3 years, the doctor also did a full environmental panel--which is when the dust showed up. because of the dust allergy, we felt comfortable moving him to a daily dose of antihistimine.

I also suspect a coconut allergy, but I haven't pushed the doctor to test it. he is also allergic to cats and dogs--dogs are his worst allergen, though we still have a dog and a cat. We keep them dog out of the bedrooms and won't get new pets when they pass away.

#28 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 PM

FYI  I know someone who was given tylenol as a baby by an abusive parent just to knock her out. Not knowing she had been regularly dosed as a baby, she took tylenol for a headache as an adult one day and went into full blown kidney faliure. She has had all kinds of health problems since then. I'm sure this is an exception to the norm, but it has made me think twice about using tylenol when maybe we can get by without it, KWIM?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#29 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM

My big worry with overmedicating is tolerance issues. When you take too much of a medication for extended periods of time you naturally start to build a tolerance to it. Your baby does not need to be building up a tolerance to medication this early in life! Can you imagine having to give your 8 year old twice the recommended dose of Tylenol because she doesn't get any effect from the recommended dose?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#30 of 34 Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM

i would not mess with either the prevacid or the saline. acid reflux is painful and can cause scarring. saline is just salt water, i used to use it all the time when we lived in the desert and at a high altitude for the little's noses.

the only med that's concerning on a regular basis is the tylenol. i would definitely try motrin instead sometimes and see if you could skip it entirely.

i'm glad that you are thinking about it and aware that you don't want to over-medicate.

eh. who needs a signature?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page