Not sure if this is the right place. My 6mo EBF baby has no interest in solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6mo has no interest in solids, which as of yet isn't an issue, he is EBF and gaining well, soiling his diapers effectively (as my DH puts it.) and love to nurse.  I just wanted to know how long others LO's went without wanting solids??

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#2 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 PM

My guy still just enjoys tastes at 8 months.  He didn't have any interest at all until 7 months.

#3 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 PM

DS1 started eating solids at 8 months. DS2 at 9 months. 

#4 of 13 Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM

DS showed *so much* interest until the moment we actually offered him solids.  Then he didn't take tastes for another couple months.

DD didn't eat a noticable amount until well after one.

Just keep in mind that the 2nd half of the 1st year, solids are for experiementation, not nutrition, so whatever amount of solids YOUR baby wants (as long as it isn't replacing bmilk) is the right amount!

#5 of 13 Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

DS showed *so much* interest until the moment we actually offered him solids.  Then he didn't take tastes for another couple months.

Just keep in mind that the 2nd half of the 1st year, solids are for experiementation, not nutrition, so whatever amount of solids YOUR baby wants (as long as it isn't replacing bmilk) is the right amount!

He found a cinnamon crisp that I made my kiddos tonight...seemed to like the cinnamon sugar off the tortilla...LOL  But still not really into much else.  This lil' boy cracks me up when I even try to offer it.  lol

~Marla~

lactivist.gif
#6 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmommy2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

He found a cinnamon crisp that I made my kiddos tonight...seemed to like the cinnamon sugar off the tortilla...LOL  But still not really into much else.  This lil' boy cracks me up when I even try to offer it.  lol

LOL   I remember DD's 2nd Easter (so she was 15 months).  She really wasn't that interested in solids and I had said she didn't like the Gerber Fruit Snacks--- she had loved them for a few days but then her body seemed to figure out it didn't need the extra vitamins and she stopped eating them.  My in-laws gave her a whole box as an Easter treat and she was just going through them.  They were looking at me like, "see, you ARE starving her, she wants this food."  I then followed her and found where she was spitting them all out on their carpeted stairs, lol.  Sometimes they like the taste or texture but that doesn't mean they are going to eat it!

#7 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 AM

My little guy didn't start eating any volume of solids until WELL after his first birthday. I'd say he was getting 90% of his calories from breastmilk up until 15 mos when I went back to work, then gradually by his 2nd birthday I'd say it was 50/50. he is 2.5 now and I'm 20 wks preggo and he gets about 2-3 oz of BM, I'd guess, a day. So obviously now he's eating lots of solids. But it fluctuates day to day. I've learned not to stress about it. He's on the sinny side, but he is very active gaining a little bit every month and way ahead on his milkestaone and always has beem so I haven't worried too much. Thanksfully I have a great Family Doc who doesn't stress us out about it either.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#8 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Ds1: started eating purees at 9 months, wouldn't take finger foods until 11.5 months

Ds2: refused all solids until 14 months, tried a few things then, started really eating at 15 months

Ds3: grabbed food out of his brothers' hands and shoved it in his mouth at 5 months old. I was totally not ready for a baby who really wanted to EAT that young!

All of them were healthy and have no problems eating food now (well, aside from the picky eater stages). It's normal for bf babies to refuse solids even past a year. Mine all ate when they were ready, and it was as if a light switch went off and they were suddenly eating, with no pressure from me.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#9 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

So today my LO was tackling me for food...so I was like ok you can try it, mashed it up...nope spit it out with a very very very disgusted look.  I said to him, "ok ok we aren't ready" and he smiled...he just wanted to offer I guess.

~Marla~

lactivist.gif
#10 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Moving to Life with a Babe.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My older dd wouldn't take a bite of any solid food until almost 12 months.  No interest.  She's happy and healthy now and almost 9.  Didn't hurt her.  The younger one was ready right at 6 months.  They're all different, and some are ready earlier than others.  I wouldn't give solids before 6 months, but how long after 6 months is no big deal so long as they're still growing and reaching milestones.

#12 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM

My almost 9 mo is still not really interested. He likes to take little scrapings of apples and sometimes bananas but he treats sweet potatos like they are dangerous and freaks if we try to give him purees. I'm not too worried about it since he nurses really well.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#13 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM

Cecilia is nearly 9 months old and couldn't care less about solids. She'll eat anything I put in front of her, but only one teeny piece of it. So one chunk of squash, one piece of pear, one green bean, etc. The rest gets played with. I really don't care either, I know that milk is all she needs at this stage.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page