Are there baby pain relief medications without scary ingredients? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We live in Europe and are visiting the US currently. One of the things I thought about getting here to bring back was baby pain relief drops. The ones where we live must be weaker because you have to give such a huge dose (like 5 dropperfulls), and I think the ones here you only give one squirt (is that right?).

I was at the drugstore and all the baby acetomenophen and ibuprofin I saw had all sorts of scary ingredients like artificial coloring, sugar or sweetener like saccharin, plus other unrecognizable ingredients.

Is there a "natural" brand of baby pain relievers out there that doesn't rely on artificial sweeteners and/or colors? And is it true that with the baby medications available here you need to use less, like just a few drops? Thanks!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We got some unflavored, alcohol and sugar free, and dye free acetaminophin (tylenol) from Target. It's their generic house brand I think.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#3 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphel View Post

We got some unflavored, alcohol and sugar free, and dye free acetaminophin (tylenol) from Target. It's their generic house brand I think.

Yep, Target has great dye-free, sugar-free stuff. We use their generic Motrin (ibuprofen).

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 AM

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been doing it the opposite way only using the European brands because I didn't like the extreme tastes/flavors the American ones seem to have (and I got weirded out by all the recalls). Olivia started solids very late and I didn't want some weird grape flavor to be her first taste. I will get a Target pain reliever just to have it in the house now!

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#5 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphel View Post

Yep, Target has great dye-free, sugar-free stuff. We use their generic Motrin (ibuprofen).

A third vote for Target! After the Hyland's recall, it was the only pain reliever we could find that didn't have gross stuff in it. Good luck :)

~ Sarah ~ Living the mountain life with DH Dan hug.gif & DD Lillian 1.6.10 energy.gifand DS Jack 10.22.11 babyboy.gif Trying to find time to sewmachine.gif!!

#6 of 13 Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 AM

i don't have it in front of me right now (nak) but i think the cvs brand of children's ibuprofen is ok.  not sure about their acetaminophen. 

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#7 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM

My baby is still too young for Ibuprofen, so I have been looking everywhere for an acetaminophen without dyes, parabens, or other yucky ingredients.  The best thing I found so far is Little Fevers by Little Remedies.  It still does have high fructose corn syrup, but since I'm only giving him .8ml at a time, I guess that's ok. The inactive ingredients are as follows: Citric acid, glycerin, high fructose corn syrup, natural flavors, PEG, propylene, glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate and sucralose.  It's still not good, but it's better than the ingredients in childrens tylenol.  I am mortified about the ingredients in some of these infant medicines.  

#8 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
One of the things I thought about getting here to bring back was baby pain relief drops. The ones where we live must be weaker because you have to give such a huge dose (like 5 dropperfulls), and I think the ones here you only give one squirt (is that right?).

What drops are you using here? I've just been using suppositories and hate waiting for them to kick in. Do the drops work faster? If the American drops seem to work better/faster and aren't terribly expensive, could you bring some back for me? vorab Tausend Dank!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#9 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

They have liquid acetaminophen here, but you have to give like 4-5 dropperfulls! Possibly also liquid ibuprofen, but I didn't ask. The dosage for the American kind is more like 1-1 1/2 small droppers, and yes it's cheap!

Thing is, as you know, I've been back from my trip 2 months already! I got one of each (Target brand).

Next time....

Mama since 2010
#10 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 AM

If you are looking for an alternative.  You could always try a Baltic Amber Necklace.  They are becoming pretty poplar as a teething remedy.  But Baltic Amber can also help with fever, other pain relief, boost immune system, and so much more.  I make these necklaces and have had great success with them.  If you are interested please pm me.  Best of luck!

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#11 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 AM

Any natural food store, or some regular grocery stores, would carry homeopathic remedies for pain and other ailements....just ask someone to help you.  They are effective and have never caused any type of problem for us!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#12 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

They have liquid acetaminophen here, but you have to give like 4-5 dropperfulls! Possibly also liquid ibuprofen, but I didn't ask. The dosage for the American kind is more like 1-1 1/2 small droppers, and yes it's cheap!

Thing is, as you know, I've been back from my trip 2 months already! I got one of each (Target brand).

Next time....

Ugh! My bad. Karneval has got me all spacey.dizzy.gif

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#13 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just to reply to the other new posts: our ped is a homeopath so that is always our first line of defense for any ailment. DS also wears an amber necklace 24/7. However, there have been a few instances when he either had a very high fever and/ or was screaming in pain and neither of those helped, so enter acetomenaphen or ibuprofen.

Mama since 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page