My 1 year old doesn't like having her teeth brushed, any tips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

My 1 year hold really resists a toothbrush, I am lucky if she even opens her mouth for me. I have tried making it into a game, I give her her own toothbrush too, I ask her kindly if she would mind opening her mouth so mummy can brush her toothiepegs but I'm not sure what else to do short of forcing the toothbrush into her mouth which I wouldn't be comfortable doing, also I'm not sure how much brushing I would be able to do anyway... Any tips from more experienced mamas? I am worried about her 7 little teeth!

#2 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 AM

My dd hated it at that age too.

Some nights i froced it (because a good brushing a few times a week was better than never), sometimes i managed to get her to let me by having her brush MY teeth as i brushed hers, sometimes i just gave her a bit of cheese to eat at bedtime (dentist told me this has a protective effect).  She is now 4, happily brushes (with help) twice a day and has no decay whatsoever.  So remember this is likely to be a phase and you guys will get through it.

#3 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
tzs

mine hates it mainly because she wants to do it herself. not a little bit by herself...but ALL herself. she won't let me do it if we alternate turns, she won't let me do it if i give her her own brush. she won't let me help her manipulate the brush while she holds it. i even tried getting yummy toothpaste. she likes it but won't let me brush...it has to be her.

what has helped is just ditching the brush and wrapping some gauze around my finger and wiping while letting her hold her toothbrush. she still screams but i can get more done in shorter bursts so it's not like i'm holding her down screaming anymore.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#4 of 4 Old 12-22-2010, 06:01 AM

Taking turns with the brush works pretty well for us, but sometimes I just use a washcloth and wipe down her one tooth. Since she only has one, I don't worry about it too much, but I try to either wipe/brush at night or at least have her drink some water after her last solid foods to help get rid gunk off her tooth.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page