For teething.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-23-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

....pain relief gel on the gums, or ibuprofen?  ...and which brand?

(baby is 10 months)

#2 of 25 Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello... I have had decent luck with Hyland's teething gel for daytime and tylenol for nights when things are real bad... good luck, it's tough to watch your little one be uncomfortable :(

(A note on the tylenol: if you've never given it before you might want to call your child's healthcare provider first.  Technically it is no longer for use in children under age 2 but my doc said it was fine, just be careful with giving the proper dose.)

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#3 of 25 Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM

We do the Hyland's gel as well, and when things get really bad and she's clearly in pain, we do ibuprofen (generic Motrin from Target) rather than acetaminophen (generic Tylenol).

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 25 Old 12-24-2010, 03:29 PM

I alternate between acetomenephen and ibuprofen since they are processed by different organs. I usually only give one dose at night if things are bad, though with these one year molars I've give some daytime doses because she's gone 8 hours at a time unable to nap and is so totally miserable.

Hylands helps a little too, but not on real bad days.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#5 of 25 Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Our pediatrician (who is a homeopath) recommended not even bothering with topical stuff on the gums as it just wears right off and isn't as readily absorbed as the little homeopathic balls, so we use the common brand in Germany (where we live) which is called Osanit. I have to say though that during the intense phase, which was about two days and three nights, when the first tooth came in we gave DS generic Tylenol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBirdy View Post

(A note on the tylenol: if you've never given it before you might want to call your child's healthcare provider first.  Technically it is no longer for use in children under age 2 but my doc said it was fine, just be careful with giving the proper dose.)

Really?Why? Where did you hear this? It's certainly readily available in pharmacies both in the US and Germany, and our pediatrician also said it was fine to use and did not interfere with the homeopathy. Also, in the Sears' Baby Book he recommends acetominophen (Tylenol) over ibuprofin just because it's been approved for use in infants longer and therefore could be safer. Not sure if I agree with that logic but I know both acetomenophen and ibuprofin have pros and cons so I just went with the Tylenol and it definitely helped so we'll stick with it I suppose.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#6 of 25 Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Really?Why? Where did you hear this? It's certainly readily available in pharmacies both in the US and Germany, and our pediatrician also said it was fine to use and did not interfere with the homeopathy. Also, in the Sears' Baby Book he recommends acetominophen (Tylenol) over ibuprofin just because it's been approved for use in infants longer and therefore could be safer. Not sure if I agree with that logic but I know both acetomenophen and ibuprofin have pros and cons so I just went with the Tylenol and it definitely helped so we'll stick with it I suppose.

Our local Pharmacist said the same thing, "It is no longer recommended for children under two, talk to your pediatrician".  My ped said tylenol was fine just use 1/3 dropper full, but no ibuprofen.  The reasoning behind that is ibuprofen is best at reducing fever so you don't want to lower baby's tolerence of it, best to leave that for emergency fever reduction only. (like when nothing else will get down a super high fever)

Mommy to sweet baby Rhys born 7/15
#7 of 25 Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Okay, I just did a little search and all I came up with was this:

'on January 17, 2008 the FDA issued a public health advisory and said that it "strongly recommends that over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold products should not be used for infants and children under 2 years of age because serious and potentially life-threatening side effects could occur.".'

from here: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/toddler/toddlermedicinecabinet.html

Dr. Sears' website reports that nasal decongestants, cough suppresants, antihistamines, and expectorants are no longer approved for children 4 and under, but then goes on to recommend Tylenol for kids age 6 months and up:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089800.asp

The Baby Center also says it's ok to give a baby over 3 months of age acetaminophen:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_acetaminophen-dosage-chart_11886.bc

However, I do recall reading about a link between use of acetaminophen in infancy and asthma, so I looked that up and sure enough one study did lead to some concern:

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/20080918/baby_acetaminophen_tied_to_asthma

Even so, I could find no info whereby it is officially not recommended or sold for kids under 2, but I assume it's based on that study that doctors and pharmacists are concerned.

Honestly I find it all so confusing and now I too am second guessing giving DS acetaminophen. Hmph.....headscratch.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 25 Old 12-25-2010, 08:22 PM

My son is officially teething now! He's just 3 months though,so maybe a little young? The first one is all the way out and he's working on the next one. He only fussed a little bit with the first but he cried a little tonight with this other one. I was able to settle him with some nursing though and extra cuddles. I have Tempra that I bought when he got his vax,can I use that for teething if nursing doesn't help him?

#9 of 25 Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Well the way I figured out the whole under two thing was I went to buy some acetaminophen for DS when he started this teething business and every brand, package, etc. I could find said, "Under 2 years - ask a doctor".  I did a lot of reading about it, and I think it's just a CYA thing.  I read about adverse reactions to acetaminophen in babies and found that they almost always occurred in one of three scenarios: 1) Parents gave children's acetominophen thinking it was infant's, and thus the babies got an overdose; 2) Parents gave it in conjunction with another OTC medicine that also contained acetominophen and thus the babies got an overdose; or 3) One parent gave a dose, and then the other parent came along and gave another dose not realizing the baby had already had some and thus the baby got an overdose.

I talked to his doctor and she said that one dose per night, even if you have to give it every night for a week, is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

Okay, I just did a little search and all I came up with was this:

'on January 17, 2008 the FDA issued a public health advisory and said that it "strongly recommends that over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold products should not be used for infants and children under 2 years of age because serious and potentially life-threatening side effects could occur.".'

from here: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/toddler/toddlermedicinecabinet.html

Dr. Sears' website reports that nasal decongestants, cough suppresants, antihistamines, and expectorants are no longer approved for children 4 and under, but then goes on to recommend Tylenol for kids age 6 months and up:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089800.asp

The Baby Center also says it's ok to give a baby over 3 months of age acetaminophen:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_acetaminophen-dosage-chart_11886.bc

However, I do recall reading about a link between use of acetaminophen in infancy and asthma, so I looked that up and sure enough one study did lead to some concern:

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/20080918/baby_acetaminophen_tied_to_asthma

Even so, I could find no info whereby it is officially not recommended or sold for kids under 2, but I assume it's based on that study that doctors and pharmacists are concerned.

Honestly I find it all so confusing and now I too am second guessing giving DS acetaminophen. Hmph.....headscratch.gif

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#10 of 25 Old 12-26-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm using cell salts for my daughter, check out this thread in Health & Healing

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1188755/tell-me-about-cell-salts

They're part homeopathic and partly nutritional and I'm finding they have a lot of other uses besides just teething.  They work quite well--my daughter is 7 (years old, I mean), her 6-year molars were a rude awakening for me--I had no idea they could be painful coming in. 

When I can't find any other way to deal with the kids' pain, I use ibuprofen, I won't use tylenol--I won't keep it in the house for any of us.  I don't like how it's metabolized by the body.

#11 of 25 Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM

I think it really does depend on your baby. DD has multiple food intolerences and we stopped giving her ibuprohen because it's not good for the digestive tract.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#12 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Is there a good website on teething? 

#13 of 25 Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The first tooth is the worst, we were pretty much on 24/7 ibuprofen for about 5 days due to the 24/7 crying. This second tooth only required 2 nights of ibuprofen. Once they break through they're a breeze.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#14 of 25 Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

Our pediatrician (who is a homeopath) recommended not even bothering with topical stuff on the gums as it just wears right off and isn't as readily absorbed as the little homeopathic balls, so we use the common brand in Germany (where we live) which is called Osanit. 

We still have a bottle of the Hylands Teething Tablets from before they were recalled last fall.  I've read about the recall, and still feel comfortable using the tablets with DS when he's uncomfortable. (He's still working on his first tooth, so I've only used them once so far, but they worked like magic to soothe him.)

I went to the website for Osanit, and it looks similar to the Hylands, with chamomile being the main active ingredient.  Are there other products in the US that use that for teething relief?   (PS  The blinking baby on the Osanit homepage is something else!)

#15 of 25 Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 AM

What about the Hyland's gel?  Right now we have that and infant acetaminophen (but he never gets a full dose for his weight).  Would I be better off getting the tablets?  I'm never even completely sure it is teething. blush.gif  I can't feel which teeth are coming through, and he's not nearly as loud as his cousin was, but rubbing on his gums gets him to calm down.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#16 of 25 Old 04-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Location: kicking it at the kitchen counter, hoping the dishes get done by themselves!

Have you read up on Amber teething jewelry for babies?  It has done amazing things for my family  I have found this merchant on Amazon is amazing!!!  She has the best prices and really good quality.

http://www.mothering.com/forum/www.amazon.com/shops/naturallybirthing

#17 of 25 Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ya know....I haven't read up on them.  I've heard of them and I see them around...but I'm so skeptical of them.  ...but to be fair, I haven't done any research.

#18 of 25 Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 PM

tylenol for the really bad nights. during the day I am able to get by with cold items for her. The orajel and hylands are pretty worthless IMO so we don't use them. 

#19 of 25 Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Location: kicking it at the kitchen counter, hoping the dishes get done by themselves!

I was skeptical as well.  When I finally found a necklace that was about the same as I was spending on teething remedies I figured it was worth a shot.  Worst thing that would happen is my kid would just look cute in the necklace.  After trying the necklace I was amazed at how well it worked.  Within in minutes you could see a difference in my baby.  He was back to his happy self that I new when he was born.  Whenever we took the necklace off it would not be long before he was fussy and irritable.  It was amazing. 

After much research I found that this had been used in Europe for centuries.  I made life so much easier for us.  I hope you find a remedy soon.  Also, olive oil and a few drops of clove oil mixed together make for a good topical treatment.  I have had many conversations with my Naturopath about this  :o)

#20 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM

The teething gel never worked for my son and Camillia worked on occasion but it always seemed to be for short periods of time rather than lasting relief. We now use an amber necklace, my son cut four teeth before getting an amber necklace (top and bottom) and has since cut 5 more with. The difference was night and day! He was miserable, in pain, didn't sleep or eat well and drooled like crazy. The necklace helps a lot, he is now cutting molars and apart form the odd day, he is doing great!  I got one from http://butter-n-honey.com and its knotted between each bead and has a safety clasp. If it gets caught on something it will break and if it breaks only one bead will come off. I would do anything to help my baby when he's in pain so I tried it and it worked!

#21 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 PM

i second the teething necklace.  it has been a miracle for my dd, truly.  i was skeptical, too, but i bought one and figured if it didn't work then at the very least she'd just have a nice necklace!  but the truth is, i can't imagine *not* having it now.  she's teethed the bottom two and working on the top two, with a little discomfort, but drooling has ceased and her discomfort is simple enough to solve with a little nursing or something cold.   i highly recommend them and wish i'd had one for ds, 3 years ago.   ours is from inspired by finn.  oh, and the trick is that they have to stay under your LOs shirt.  body heat warms them up and releases succinic acid.    hth!

#22 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We do a combo.  Tylenol, or sometimes ibruprophen (seems to last longer) usually only one dose a night.  I've just go ta teething necklace and feel like it might be helping, but so hard to tell since every day  is different.  I have also had luck with Borion (sp?) brand Camilla drops, they are homeopathic.  DS loves them and is always willing to take them, like he knows they make him feel better.  Anyway that seems to be enough to break the cycle of pain and crabiness on bad days.  The drops are not enough for nighttime pain.  Good luck!  Oh and my teething necklace is from inspired by finn - get one, they are cute, so no real loss if it doesn't work smile.gif

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#23 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We use an amber necklace (not sure if it works or not but it can't hurt) and ibuprofen. We have paracetamol but prefer not to use it. There have been some documented cases in Australia of babies sustaining liver damage after taking only the correct dosage so we'll try to avoid it altogether if possible. So far the occasional dose of ibuprofen has worked really well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#24 of 25 Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Inspired by Finn has a lot of sales they post on Facebook fyi.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

DD: 8/10

#25 of 25 Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 AM

I just now gave DS a dose of generic Tylenol (Target up&up is dye-free) and nursed him a little and now he's asleep in my arms.

My own rule is when he's in so much pain he won't nurse then he gets a dose of medicine. Normally we just use Hyland's gel. Like others said it works but not for too long. I find I reapply 3-4 times in a row and he gets relief. Their tablets are back now so I'll try those too. We tried cold stuff but it seems to upset him sometimes. He bites on it and cries :( Distractions like going out of the house or seeing new people also help!

BTW his bottom gums are slightly broken and bloody. Does that mean they are *finally* coming in or did he cut himself w a too sharp fingernail?

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page