6 month sleep & naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can folks please share their six month olds nap and sleep schedule? 

Right now DS is all over the place. Normally a morning nap of 45 minutes to an hour about 2 hours after being awake. And another afternoon nap, which I make sure it's quiet etc so he can do a solid hour and sometimes (rarely, very rarely) 2.. and bed at 6:45 but he still wakes to eat 4-5x a night

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#2 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM

At that age, Cecilia was definitely still a two-hours-after-waking girl. She typically took 3 naps a day, each 1-3 hours long. We noticed that the more we encouraged her to take naps, the better she slept at night. Even if she was barely acting tired, I would put her down at the 2 hour mark and 99% of the time she'd go down. She just wasn't a big sleepy cue-er until she got overly tired, and then it was too late and she'd fuss instead of going down.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Seems similar to what my babies do. I don't really keep track (probably should have...) but I know they take a midmorning nap after being awake for an hour or two. Then hopefully a good long nap in the late afternoon, and usually another one in the evening. We go to bed late, usually around 10 pm, and stay in bed till about 10 am. They wake up a bunch of times at night still. So I'd say normal.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#4 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 PM

DD is 7 months, and not really into a pattern yet, except that on most days she doesn't seem to need a great deal of sleep. At night she is down by 8 or 9 and up any time between 5 and 7. Naps? Not much... she's the queen of nip-n-nap, taking 10-20 minutes after nursing at any or every point during the day. She's still nursing every 2-3 hours round the clock. I'm tired.

#5 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Wake time is about 7am

-1st nap is 9am

(2hour wake time ..if I let her go longer she will get overtired and be impossible to put to sleep) She will wake up like clock work at the 30min mark. If I catch her in time, I can nurse her back to sleep and she will sleep for 1hour total.

-2nd nap is usually 2hours after she wakes up from her 1st nap. If I know we are going somewhere later and I want her to be well rested, I will take a nap with her to extend her nap anywhere from 1.5 to 2hours.

-3rd nap is usually 30mins-45mins long. (I don't typically nurse her back to sleep for this last

nap)

Bed time is 6pm but we've been pushing it back to 7pm.

I try not to let her "waketime" be any longer than 2hours.  90mins is a perfect amount of wake time for her right now. 

No real "schedule" here but she does have a routine of sorts. 

:)

Up until about 2 weeks ago, she used to take four 30-45min naps.

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#6 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Daniel's ideal day looks like this:

7am-8am: Wake up

9am-10am: Go down for a nap, between 1-1.5 hours

12:30-1pm: Go down for another nap, between 1.5-2 hours

4:00-5:00pm: Go down for a 3rd nap, between 25minutes-1 hour, no later than 6pm

6:45-8:00pm: Go to sleep

I definitely feel like Daniel can't be up more than 2 hours and that I get best results when I head to put him down (diaper change, rocking, bottle, etc.) about 15 minutes before I want him to go to sleep. Daniel also doesn't sleep well anywhere but his crib. He doesn't nap well in the carseat, stroller, my bed or carrier (shocking, I know, I thought ALL babies liked carriers). He just wants to get swaddled and get into his crib. Every once in a while he'll sleep for 45 minutes or so with me and that's very sweet, but he doesn't seem to like being so close.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#7 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1 View Post

Wake time is about 7am

-1st nap is 9am

(2hour wake time ..if I let her go longer she will get overtired and be impossible to put to sleep) She will wake up like clock work at the 30min mark. If I catch her in time, I can nurse her back to sleep and she will sleep for 1hour total.

-2nd nap is usually 2hours after she wakes up from her 1st nap. If I know we are going somewhere later and I want her to be well rested, I will take a nap with her to extend her nap anywhere from 1.5 to 2hours.

-3rd nap is usually 30mins-45mins long. (I don't typically nurse her back to sleep for this last

nap)

Bed time is 6pm but we've been pushing it back to 7pm.

I try not to let her "waketime" be any longer than 2hours.  90mins is a perfect amount of wake time for her right now. 

No real "schedule" here but she does have a routine of sorts. 

:)

Up until about 2 weeks ago, she used to take four 30-45min naps.

my dd is 6 months and we are pretty much on the same routine as above. we wake about 7ish and then she is awake 2 hours until first nap. then it varies as sometimes a short 30-45 min nap or just recently (thank you god!!!) she has started 1.5 hr naps. so we get about 3 naps in (occ 4 but rare now). bedtime around 7pm. wakes every 3 hrs at night to feed (so 10ish, 1ish, 4ish). but lately with the teething she has been up lots at night. tough for baby and me too! 

i have been trying to push feeds to 3.75 hrs but always seems to be around 3.25-3.5 hrs round the clock. i feel like if i could only get to 4hrs then i could get her to drop a feed at night. i am debating how to do this and how nightweaning will occur. i do want to speed up the process, i am barely functioning and my DH has moved out of the bedroom. :(

any thoughts about cutting a feed? with my first dd i ended up cold turkey and a dream feed around this age. because if i fed her on demand once then she would expect the same later. i don't feel like she needs the milk right now, her weight gain is fine and we are introducing foods. 

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#8 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM

My six month old wakes between 6-7 am.

Usually needs to sleep between 8 and 9 am.  Unfortunately only usually sleeps around 30 minutes for naps.  

then he takes a nap every 1.5 to  2.5 hours.

Total of 4 naps a day of 30 minutes.  Sometimes he won't take his last nap of the day, which is usually around 4pm ish.

Bath at 5 ish, sleep between 6 and 7pm.

Wakes once or twice at night.

#9 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Very similar pattern to OP

Wake time varies (I'm so bad at waking up early! If he keeps sleeping, I keep sleeping ... d'oh!), but about an hour later he's sleepy, he nurses and usually takes a short nap (40 min), then he takes about an hour around lunch time, and about 2 1/2 hours in the late afternoon. Bedtime at 8, but that's often a struggle and sometimes he actually falls asleep closer to 9. Wakes about 3x to nurse, maybe more in the morning, he ends up in bed with me after my DH leaves for work (at 4am) so I am fuzzy on that time.

ETA: I have noticed in the last week or so that the afternoon nap is getting longer and he is sleeping more soundly. He used to wake after the first 30 min and then fall asleep again right away; now he doesn't do that.

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
#10 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wake up at about 6:00.  Nap after being awake for two hours or so, so about 3 naps a day.  Most naps are 40 minutes (sometimes 30, sometimes an hour).  He really needs one long nap (an hour to an hour and a half) for it to be a good day.  But those are pretty rare.  Instead we have fussiness in the afternoon.  He goes down about 7.  Wakes at least 5 times at night but hardly awake - nurses back to sleep in a minute. He's getting between 11 and 13 total hours of sleep.  If naps were longer or night waking elss frequent, we'd be in great shape.

#11 of 13 Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesepumpkin View Post

i have been trying to push feeds to 3.75 hrs but always seems to be around 3.25-3.5 hrs round the clock. i feel like if i could only get to 4hrs then i could get her to drop a feed at night. i am debating how to do this and how nightweaning will occur. i do want to speed up the process, i am barely functioning and my DH has moved out of the bedroom. :(

any thoughts about cutting a feed? with my first dd i ended up cold turkey and a dream feed around this age. because if i fed her on demand once then she would expect the same later. i don't feel like she needs the milk right now, her weight gain is fine and we are introducing foods. 

I've had success with focusing on better feeds at night. If we co sleep, he eats more often because I don't encourage him to finish his meal. If I get up and stay awake, I can usually get more sleep and drop a feeding. I don't know what your situation is, but I hope it gets better for you!

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

#12 of 13 Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My baby is 7 months, but his sleeps's been pretty much the same for the last couple months:

b/w 6:30-8am wake up

nap anywhere from 1-2 hours after waking, then

nap 2-3 more time throughout the day, every 2-4 hours,

last nap around 6pm and

down to bed at 8-10pm depending on when last nap was and what we're up to.

He only ever naps 30 mins at a time, unless I or DH naps with him, then sometimes he can nap up to 2 hours!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#13 of 13 Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM

5.5 months here, we have to do another adjustment.  DS loves to sleep a lot the first two naps of the day (we were waking him up after 2 hours) with about 2 hours awake time, then took a 40 minute nap, then we would attempt to get him to sleep for the night around 7.  He'd wake up after 40 minutes, be awake for 2 hours, go back to sleep for 40 minutes, up for 2 hours, then finally get some sleep.  Yesterday we were running around with errands and his naps were all around 40 minutes (in the car) and he did great at night...woke up about 4 times but wanted to go right back to sleep so it wasn't too bad to resettle him.  So I think if we can keep his naps to an hour or less we will be in better shape at night.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page