March 2010 mamas, where are you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I figured I'd start a new thread since I haven't seen the old one in a while. :)

We had a rough holiday because we were all four sick. Last Thursday we had to take Maya to the ER for croup. We had her sleeping with a humidifier blowing right over her face, but she had stridor and by early morning hours was having retractions, so we had to take her in for steroids. Of course, by the time we got there she was much better, but she still had stridor and we found out she had an ear infection. Poor thing! Luckily we're mostly better now. We just all have a lingering cough and sniffles, but it's no biggie. Unfortunately, she screamed through our whole big family Christmas - it was the night before we had to go to the ER, so she was feeling terrible. That means no one got to see our sweet baby in action. Oh well. :-)

But the reason I really came to post was because she just started WALKING!!! She's been taking little 3 step walks here and there for a week, but today she walked 4 or 5 feet before she fell down. So she won't be walking everywhere for a while yet, but she's actually walking now. I am very excited about that, although I don't know why, since it means she's growing up. <sniffle, sniffle>

How are all of you and your babies?

#2 of 22 Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Well, we are much better since we all got over the nasty virus that went through our family for about 6 weeks.  Eleanor and I ended up on abx since the dr. was concerned that I was getting pneumonia, and that Eleanor was still coughing really hard after 2 weeks + of nastiness.  

We've moved to a new house, Eleanor cut two more teeth, and she is cruising all over everything.  She is finally sleeping better, now that her teeth are in and she feels better.  Thankfully, she is NOT walking, and isn't really interested in it yet.  DS1 walked at 10 months, DD1 and 2 walked at 13 months, and DS2 walked at 9 1/2 months.  I'm hoping she takes after her sisters not her brothers, but I suppose she will do what she wants.

I'm curious to see what the other babies in our group are up to!

#3 of 22 Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry you've all been sick. That stinks, but I'm glad you're starting to get better.

I've been looking forward to walking because I was hoping it would mean she'd hold our hands and walk some while we were out and about. DD1 didn't walk until 13 months, but once she started we could let her walk with us when we were out and it wasn't busy. Since Maya doesn't really care for the carrier or sling, and she HATES the stroller, it would be really nice to be able to let her walk every now and then.

I really want to know what everyone's up to, too!

#4 of 22 Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

I wasn't in a previous March group, but our son was born in March 2010.  He has six teeth and still (despite our ped's concerns, oh well) is not too into solids.  He was EBF until 6.5 months and usually eats maybe a couple tablespoons or the solid equivalent of whatever we are trying to feed him each day.  We are sticking almost entirely to whole foods as opposed to baby foods.  He's had something like 30 foods--banana, avocado, apple, green bean, rice cake, grits, raisins, whole wheat crackers, squash, etc.  I wish he would kiss or hug us, but not yet.  He is very strong and not a cuddler, though he seems generally happy and affectionate in his own smiley and independent way.  He does not STTN really, waking a couple time to nurse and sometimes is up for an hour or so around 3 a.m.  No cruising, but he loves to stand and hold onto the couch whilst throwing his toys on the floor.  He is a glorious round chunker at 28 pounds (97% wt., 75% ht., as he's been since around 2 mo.).  He has never been ill except for possibly some allergies about two months ago.  He has never been too impressed with the sling, which was a shame, but now I don't think I could carry him for long in one anyway since he is so big.  I am a SAHM and new to this "profession" after teaching for close to two decades and raising a teenager who is now 15...whew.  We are lucky to have our beautiful boy and I am trying to cherish all the moments.  I'll look forward to seeing what other moms write in this thread!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#5 of 22 Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Adaline is crawling and cruising everywhere! She climbs all over our bodies every morning to wake us up. She had a great time at Christmas, tearing open presents and seeing everyone. She is a mimicking queen! She mimics so much of everything we do, including yesterday when she was pulling DH's hair and he pointed to her and said "No". She laughed and pointed back at him with her index finger and said "Nah!". She tries to say "dog" and "uh oh". She is eating mostly whole foods like avacados, blueberries, sweet potatoes, grapes, banannas, and parsnips. She seems to get stuck on one food for awhile and thats all she wants to eat. She loves music. She dances and tries to sing whenever she hears it. She has had a blast with her new radio flyer wagon.

She is still little bitty. We are going to the ped tomorrow for a well visit (and a little dtap :( ) so Ill find out exactly how much she weighs, but I think she is still only about 16 lbs, 28 inches. She is pretty tiny when she is compared to other 9 month old babies we see. She is still nursing for about 80% of her nutrition, but doing plenty of playing and eating solid foods.  I think she is totally healthy, but I am a little afraid the dr willl think she is underweight.

He hair is finally starting to grow back! Shes getting a headful after months of rocking the old man hot dog bun hair.

She is growing up so fast!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 22 Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Hi!

I just stumbled upon this thread today. I haven't really been on these discussion boards much. But I'm so glad to connect with some other mothers of March 2010 babies!

My son is a rather slow developer. He only cut his first tooth a month ago and I don't see the second one yet. He isn't crawling yet. And I still haven't really seen him sit up all by himself yet. DS is stable if I put him in a sitting position. But I haven't seen him manage going from lying to sitting and back down to lying. So gee, I'm slightly jealous of all of you with more mobile babies. And he's a small baby -- he's hovered around the 10th percentile throughout the year. I try not to worry about his development. DH says that he was a very slow to walk and talk as well.

#7 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Okay, let's see...

Over the holidays we weighed Ruben on a scale in the grocery store and he was ~22lbs.  For some reason, my mom, my husband, and I all thought it was hilarious to weigh him on the produce scale.  He was less entertained.

He started pulling himself along commando style back in early November and by Thanksgiving he was full on speedy crawling.  He actually started pulling himself up and cruising before he was a proficient crawler. Now, he is super mobile and wants to climb on everything.  Though slightly overwhelming, it is also kind of a relief since he can now move himself where he wants to go and ends up less frustrated. 

We've got two bottom teeth and we can see FOUR top one's bulging and ready to break through.  I'm wondering if it is possible for all four to come in quick succession. We'll see.

Ruben is the sweetest, most curious, smiley little guy during the day but nighttime is another story.  To be fair we have been traveling for the past 2 months during which time he's had his first head and chest colds, and now these teeth are coming but oh my gosh!  I'm so tired!  We finally got back home on New Years so I'm praying that he'll settle down and start sleeping again.  Basically he goes to bed fine around 7-8pm then wakes up 1-3 hrs after that, I can usually settle him that first time but then he wakes up like every hour after that and generally flailing around all night like he can't get comfortable.  We were all really sick for almost the whole time we were traveling with a string of illnesses (love the holidays and the inevitable large group gatherings!) so I know that he felt miserable for a while there.  I'm crossing my fingers that once these teeth break through and we're not moving him to a new bed every week my family will be able to sleep again.  I find myself incredibly jealous of people whose babies sleep through the night and just of anyone who gets to sleep at night.  

On a more positive note, this boy LOVES music and dances whenever I turn it on!

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#8 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Hi ladies!!! Well my little guy is 10 months old today!! He is about 24 lbs, is really tall, 90%, and is a super happy sweet baby. He is really into exploring the world around him right now, commando crawling and cruising , pulling himself up, etc. He has just cut his 7th tooth, with a few major bulges in the back, that look so painful.

He loves most food, juicy fruits and squash are probably his faves, along w/ eggs. I buy dozens of eggs each week for him and his sisters.

Looking forward to hear what others have been up to!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#9 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Can I join you ladies?  DS was born March 19, 2010.  He's got his 2 bottom teeth, been crawling since 6 months, on the verge of walking, breastfed, cloth diapered, BLW, climbing, into everything :) He's about 30 inches long and still under 19lbs.  That's him in a nutshell.

I'm 26, SAHM and I care for 2 other kids during the day.  One was born Jan 2010 and the other June 2009 (my nephew).

#10 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

hi- we are doing pretty well. We have been doing some temporary moving for a few months and htings are a little crazy- ds (9 and a 1/2 months) has been handling it very well! the only thing is that we do not have a settled kitchen for a little while (past 2 wks) so I have been feeding him lots of jarred food and baby cereal- ugh- I know it is not that bad but I really want to do more home made. Luckily we get into a ne w place very soon so my #1 thing is to get better about making fresh wholesome food for the baby1 I am having some issues with nursing where I just don't enjoy it that much someitmes1 I still niurse many times a day and night- and many times it is just fine- but sometimes I am challenged with it. So when I nurse less I want to make sure ds had good food to eat. anyway- today we fed him (jarred/organic) apples and mangoes- and I remmeber thinking mangoes seems odd for a baby- but we tried it- and now he has a rash on his body, poor little guy-

I don't know for sure if it is from the mangoes but that is my first guess because today wa sthe 1st day of them and today he had the 1st rash.

so no more mangoes! for now.

anyway- things are good other than that- ds is is just so darn cute! He is generally a happy guy still tho he has been having a little whinyness lately as we have been in somewhat chaotic living situations temporarily, and chaotic food situaitons and I think sometimes he gets a belly ache. so- we are changing all that soon.

But we have been doing LOTs more socializing sicne we moved, which is fun for all of us. Instead of long days home alone with the baby while dh is at work, we go out a lot- short drives- and see people more which is fun. IA m tired tho and want to settle soon into our new place.

#11 of 22 Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Eleanor tried frozen blueberries this afternoon.  She held it and licked it like a popsicle for a long time, which was rather funny.  By the time she was finished, there were blueberry bits all over everything, but she was happy.  I am happy to report that she is finally sleeping so much better.  Not as well as I would like, but way better than just a couple of months ago, although she still is pretty insistent that the b00b be close to her mouth when she stirs.  

#12 of 22 Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

hola.gif

I haven't been on here in what seems like ages. We moved to Seattle back in September, and it's been a difficult adjustment. My DS started kindergarten too.

Ari has been much earlier with all her milestones than DS. She's been crawling since a little before six months. She's just now getting tooth #3, with three more due to show any day now. She wants to eat everything, as long as it isn't baby food. ;) She pulls herself up and stands briefly. Makes me wonder if she'll walk before a year - probably. I have no idea how tall she is, but she's about 19 pounds. We haven't seen a doctor since before the move. Nursing is still going great. Nighttime nursing doesn't seem to be quite as bad as it was the first time, though I'll be happy when I get to sleep more regularly. She's very curious and chatty.

I have to say that I love having a girl, more than I thought I would. I was never an uptight parent the first time, but it really is different the second time. This will probably be the last child for me, and I'm enjoying it more thoroughly. Our first few months together were very difficult, but the last few have gone by quickly. luxlove.gif

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#13 of 22 Old 01-09-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi everyone-- i wasn't very active in the DDC so some of you may not remember me.  I had my second son, Yogi, on 3/23.  He is 9 1/2 months now and is into everything.  he is a great baby-- very good natured and doesn't mind being roughed up from his brother.  i love seeing their relationship!

we really have to watch him though.  his older brother was not like this.  Yogi puts everything in his mouth.  the other night he was crying a lot, in a weird way, and i got worried.  he eventually fell asleep.  in the morning he coughed out a bit of the peel from a butternut squash.  scary!

he has been a very distracted nurser so he won't nurse much in the day unless he is really hungry.  lately he has been biting-- i think from teething.  he'll bite and then laugh at me! 

one thing i am starting to struggle with is post-partum periods.  i got mine back at 6 months which is much earlier than i thought.  i have spotting at the time of ovulation, and am completely PMS-y the entire luteal phase.  anyone else having issues like this?  i think i am going to make some dietary changes.  i'd love to hear other suggestions.  i am not too inclined to talk to my OB about it (i had delivered with a midwife and I can't see her for well-woman care for insurance reasons) and I think they will njust suggest hormones or alprozolam or something. 

Kate

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#14 of 22 Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM

i have also had wierd periods since delivery. Not regular at all, very very light, although the 1st was heavy, and gross, and I was mad all day , because of it.

How old are you? I am worried that it maybe peri menopause, although I am only 38. Hmm. I am not into taking any hormones at all. I am looking to read a book about hormones and just getting a little older. It is by Suzanne Somers, and her account of dealing w/ the mainsteam medical industry in the US, and what she has learned along the way.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#15 of 22 Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM

hi everyone! tziporah is 10.5 months old. before christmas, she wasn't crawling, wasn't cruising, wasn't able to get up into a sitting position by herself... she basically just army crawled everywhere! well, we went to my mom's house for 10 days and within that time she learned how to cross crawl, pull-up, cruise and even learned how to do the stairs. it is really like i brought home a brand new baby... the whole apartment had to be re-babyproofed when we got back. she can access everything in the house now, and it's so strange to turn around and see a little girl walking towards me while holding onto the wall! i don't know how soon she'll be walking... with her it seems like she picks up a few skills close together and then just kind of stays there for a while before progressing again.

she eats really well, despite having only her bottom two teeth. she eats everything we eat and has really great fine-motor skills. i love watching her little pointer finger pinching up raisins so precisely! she is still pretty petite, only 17lbs, but is quite tall and very muscly looking. still not much in the way of hair, and no words yet, but she is learning some signs (milk etc) and is very emphatic in her babbling too (she was telling me off big time the other day... i felt bad for laughing so hard at her!).

guys, i don't know about you, but this motherhood thing just gets better and better for me. not every day is fun or great, but when i add up all the good stuff over the course of a week, it really seems like every new week is full of more good stuff than the week before. dh and i are in a really amazing place right now... we are tired sometimes, but much closer than we were this time last year.

good to hear from you all!

#16 of 22 Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM

silverfish- I am glad to hear you say that- as my ds is a wk shy of 10 months and is still not crawling or cruising or getting himself into sitting alone. HJe sits great now- when we put him into it. He is working on standig=ng but still needs lots of support. Other babies I know his age are walking!! at least crawling. So I try not tobe too concerned about it and hope it will happen in its own time-

he is doing really well otherwise. Eating lots mor foods- interacting and laughing and babbling and smiling and really getting into the world around him.

I find myself hoping to be pregnant again, though on the other hand I don't even want a second child! It is this off and on again thing I keep having- from being really happy to have an only and kep it that way- to being a few days "late" on my periood and on some level hoping I am pregnant! But I think I am not as the chances are slim- we were not trying or anything-

so- we have been having some moving isses and stuff so I think that is why my period is late (moving aorund a bit and not that settled)

anyway- ds also has a bad chest cough/cold-

but hopefully it is on the mend.

I am really still tired from this parenting thing- though alos so happy and in love with my baby and husband and our family. DH is an amazing dad and does equally as much work and care for ds as I do- so that is great!

#17 of 22 Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post

i have also had wierd periods since delivery. Not regular at all, very very light, although the 1st was heavy, and gross, and I was mad all day , because of it.

How old are you? I am worried that it maybe peri menopause, although I am only 38. Hmm. I am not into taking any hormones at all. I am looking to read a book about hormones and just getting a little older. It is by Suzanne Somers, and her account of dealing w/ the mainsteam medical industry in the US, and what she has learned along the way.

I'm only 30 so I don't think it is perimenopause.  I do think my over-sugared and over-caffeinated diet are not helping!  am cleaning it up.  I had the heaviest period ever right after Christmas.  Actually, it was so heavy that i bled all over my pants at work.  it was crazy.  i also noticed that my ovulation signs (CM, ahem) are over-exaggerated. 

i just emailed my OB's office to make an appointment, i think i might have some sort of prolapse issue as well.

[FONT="Verdana"]Kate, mom to S(6/07) and Y(3/10)
#18 of 22 Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM

I haven't been on the boards in forever!

Maggie is doing great.  She is now 9 1/2 months.  She has 7 teeth, crawls super fast, and is taking 5-10 steps at a time.  She says 'kitty' anytime she sees our cats, and goes hunting for them whenever she gets a chance.  It is so cute!  She has been our happiest baby ever.  She is such a joy.  It has been awesome watching her older siblings interact with her.  My 8 yo is such an awesome helper, and she prefers him if I'm busy doing something else. 

Maggie started solids at 7 months and is not eating finger food when we sit down for a meal, but she mainly nurses still.  She sleeps with us, and has some nights where she sleeps great and some where she is restless.  Her premolar that just broke through last week has been the culprit of the restlessness, I believe.  She wears her amber teething necklace 24/7 though, and I have never had to give her anything for teething pain.  She had her 9 month check up last week and she is 20 lbs and 29 1/2 inches.  She is doing great.

It is so nice to read the updates.  I think about you all and your sweet babes often.  I just don't have much computer time these days with homeschooling and all the activites for my older 3.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#19 of 22 Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM

We are doing well here. I'm really enjoying Samuel...he gets more interactive every day. He's cruising and crawling every where and getting really fast. He hasn't shown a ton of interest in walking yet, I think because he's so good at what he does now. He's started eating more and has cut back to nursing mainly when he wakes up in the morning, before and after his naps, and maybe once in the late afternoon. And then bedtime of course. I'm okay with that, and I still enjoy nursing for the most part (except when there's new teeth...then it hurts for a few days). Sleep is getting better, and DH has been really helpful and takes care of any wake ups before midnight for the most part. Even though that doesn't necessarily mean more sleep for me, it's nice to have a baby break in the evenings. He's still waking up maybe 3 or 4 times at night, but only nursing twice. I suspect his sleep won't get better until he gets a break from teeth. I'm surviving...I know I could have a much worse sleeper.

It's hard for me to believe that he'll be a year old before I know it! He's more little boy than baby now...I notice it more when I see pictures of him. And he has such a funny personality! I'm excited for him to start talking more. We think he says dada on purpose, and mama sometimes...but he says them both randomly too so we don't know.

#20 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 PM

Is there an updated thread? How is everyone? I haven't been around much. Trying to wrestle my laptop away from baby is too much for me! My ds started walking at 9 mos. and trying to climb. He's still my fussy guy and had ear infections over the holidays. He has seven teeth now too. He sleeps with us still...not well though. Every now and again I get a little relief and he'll sleep in his crib for an hour.

#21 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethla View Post

Is there an updated thread? How is everyone? I haven't been around much. Trying to wrestle my laptop away from baby is too much for me! My ds started walking at 9 mos. and trying to climb. He's still my fussy guy and had ear infections over the holidays. He has seven teeth now too. He sleeps with us still...not well though. Every now and again I get a little relief and he'll sleep in his crib for an hour.

Hey there! I don't think there is. I'll start one so we can see how all our almost 1 year olds are doing :)

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#22 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 PM

yes! Let's catch up- please do start a new thread if you don't mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page