Skinny Babies Tribe - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livacreature View Post

Went to the doctor yesterday, she's only gained five ounces this month, and dropped off her curve from 3rd percentile to not on at all.  They said they usually see an ounce a day atthis age.  She's getting enough milk, per lc.  However, they said it might just not have enough calories, so to offer a couple ounces of formula afterwards.  We've been doing some supplementing anyway because I can't seem to pump more than a couple ounces at a go and have no stash for work.  Her height and headsize are still on track at 5th percentile and 3rd.

I can understand why you'd be concerned - the typical BF baby of her age is gaining 5 to 7 ounces a week and doubles birthweight between three and four months. From what I've read, babes don't gain adequately because they're not getting enough milk, not because the milk is somehow too low in calories. Did your LC do 24 hours of test feeds to determine she's getting enough milk or just judge from one feed?
If you're interested in increasing your milk supply, I took domperidone with both my kids (I'm still on it and nursing my 10-month-old) and it might do the trick to help you eliminate the formula. There's a FAQ about it in breastfeeding challenges. You could also try offering the breast more when you're together, co-sleeping if you're not already and using breast compressions and switch nursing to get more letdowns. How often are you pumping at work? Are you using a good double-electric? Have you tried active pumping ie breast massage and compressions?
If you're interested, there's an awesome book - The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk - that has some great strategies.
Hang in there, mama. I know how tough it is to be forced to supplement when all you want to do is EBF your babe. hug2.gif

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 104 Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 PM

They didn't do a 24 hour, I am going to see about having that just to make sure.  Right now, we're doing a 45 minute nurse, a bottle of formula, back on to nurse for 30 minutes.  Feeding her takes forever!  When I am at home, she is pretty much on me eating.  I'm going to try getting up at night to pump, though the straight sleep is so very nice.  She is seeming a little sturdier already though, her spine is less obvious when we are holding her.  I'm taking fenugreek now, and also doing a lactation tea.  I am able to pump about once every 3 hours at work, I have a medela double electric.  I'm usually the only one in the office, so I have to work with client's needs.  More often isn't really possible due to the nature of my job.  I do compressions/massage when pumping and feeding.  I'm trying not to stress out too much.  Her pediatrician says she is looking great otherwise, her mobility is good, she is very expressive and interactive.  We go in Monday for a weight check, so hopefully this is helping and we can eventually phase out the formula supplement. 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#93 of 104 Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:

They didn't do a 24 hour, I am going to see about having that just to make sure.  Right now, we're doing a 45 minute nurse, a bottle of formula, back on to nurse for 30 minutes.  Feeding her takes forever!  When I am at home, she is pretty much on me eating.  I'm going to try getting up at night to pump, though the straight sleep is so very nice.  She is seeming a little sturdier already though, her spine is less obvious when we are holding her.  I'm taking fenugreek now, and also doing a lactation tea.  I am able to pump about once every 3 hours at work, I have a medela double electric.  I'm usually the only one in the office, so I have to work with client's needs.  More often isn't really possible due to the nature of my job.  I do compressions/massage when pumping and feeding.  I'm trying not to stress out too much.  Her pediatrician says she is looking great otherwise, her mobility is good, she is very expressive and interactive.  We go in Monday for a weight check, so hopefully this is helping and we can eventually phase out the formula supplement. 

Hmm. That's a lot of time to spend at the breast. Is she actively drinking the whole time? The research shows that the babes who transfer the most milk are the ones who nurse most vigorously at the beginning of the feed - not the ones who spend the longest time nursing. Has she been checked for a tongue tie? That could explain the low weight gain and long nursing sessions although obviously you shouldn't limit time at the breast.
Fingers crossed for you on Monday!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#94 of 104 Old 12-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Yeah, she doesn't have a tongue tie, they checked twice.  She is really vigorous at first, then will slow down for 10 minutes or so, then will start up again.  It goes like that a few times until she drops off.  I'm going to talk to the LC about supplemental nursing systems, see if that might be worth it for us.  Thank you for your words and thoughts!

#95 of 104 Old 12-17-2011, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has she been seen by anyone who's familiar with posterior tongue ties? They can cause dramatic problems with weight gain, long feeds, painful breastfeeding, etc., yet are very rarely recognized because they are A) harder to see and B) not covered in the literature as much. These are some links that may help you identify if it may be an issue for her. If it is, you may need to find someone else to help (or educate those you're already working with, at least).

Catherine Watson-Genna's quick help for identifying tongue tie: http://www.cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html
The Murphy Maneuver - a quick way to check for it: http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/clinical-pearl-the-murphy-maneuver-for-diagnosing-tongue-tie/
Dr. Kotlow (who treats them in NY) shows how you can evaluate for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5opSbXvL7yQ&feature=share
Catherine Watson-Genna on posterior tongue ties (pg 228): http://books.google.com/books?id=Z9Xw3-pkz1YC&pg=PA227&lpg=PA227&dq=posterior+tongue-tie&source=bl&ots=YU4topKN7p&sig=rsocOeVv91a0afImqCrOQHnNywM&hl=en&ei=QHbGSpihL42usgPYidihBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10%23v=onepage&q=posterior%20tongue-tie&f=false#v=snippet&q=posterior%20tongue-tie&f=false
Low Milk Supply.org's info, including links to doctors who do frenotomies: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/tonguetie.shtml

Well, that should give you a good idea of whether or not it's really a problem. I hope you can get her issues solved soon! hug.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#96 of 104 Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM

I have a tiny baby, but I'm 4"10 and his dad is 5'7", so its expected. But he was born at 5 lbs 7 oz and at his 4 week checkup he was 8 lbs 7 oz. That doctor said his weight gain was "outrageous" and that I was "overfeeding" him and to nurse less often eyesroll.gif. Needless to say I switched peds pretty quickly.

His weight gain was awesome all the way up until his 4 month checkup and he really leveled off. He was 14 lbs 2 oz at his 6 month checkup, only gained a pound and 8 oz . The doc is happy and said it was perfectly normal, but I was really expecting a chunky baby with his initial weight gain. The dropoff in weight gain and drop in percentile was very disappointing to me and I felt that maybe my milk wasn't enough. But since the doctor said it was fine I didn't supplement.

He eats tons of solids now so hopefully he'll grow well. Some babies are just lean, I'm learning to accept it. He does move around all over the place, so maybe he just burns off a lot of energy!

Moderately crunchy breastfeeding babywearing no circ fully vaccinating mama to DS born May 2011

#97 of 104 Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah, she doesn't have a tongue tie, they checked twice.  She is really vigorous at first, then will slow down for 10 minutes or so, then will start up again.  It goes like that a few times until she drops off.  I'm going to talk to the LC about supplemental nursing systems, see if that might be worth it for us.  Thank you for your words and thoughts!

Do look into the SNS. I like the Lact-Aid MUCH better than the Medela SNS. Here's a link: http://www.lact-aid.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phycologia View Post

I have a tiny baby, but I'm 4"10 and his dad is 5'7", so its expected. But he was born at 5 lbs 7 oz and at his 4 week checkup he was 8 lbs 7 oz. That doctor said his weight gain was "outrageous" and that I was "overfeeding" him and to nurse less often eyesroll.gif . Needless to say I switched peds pretty quickly.

His weight gain was awesome all the way up until his 4 month checkup and he really leveled off. He was 14 lbs 2 oz at his 6 month checkup, only gained a pound and 8 oz . The doc is happy and said it was perfectly normal, but I was really expecting a chunky baby with his initial weight gain. The dropoff in weight gain and drop in percentile was very disappointing to me and I felt that maybe my milk wasn't enough. But since the doctor said it was fine I didn't supplement.

He eats tons of solids now so hopefully he'll grow well. Some babies are just lean, I'm learning to accept it. He does move around all over the place, so maybe he just burns off a lot of energy!

Your doc may not see too many BF babies. The typical breastfed babe doubles birthweight by three to four months then levels off - appearing to drop percentiles on standard charts - while FF babes grow more steadily, typically doubling at six months. So I think your LO is pretty normal! Kellymom.com has great resources on normal growth and links to the WHO charts designed using breastfed babies.

#98 of 104 Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Her latch is really comfortable, I haven't had any soreness, blisters, cracks, etc since week one, but I will have them look closer for this.  I do think that she might have gained a little this week, her little spine isn't as noticable.  I don't expect that she will ever be a chunky baby, but I really want her to get more on track. 

What were the differences in your experience with the medela vs lact-aid? 

I will say it is amazing how there is only a pound and some change difference in her size, but she looks so different!  Her awareness and alertness amaze me.  I can see her taking everything in, it is awesome to compare pictures.  I think she is going to be too tall for some of her newborn stuff soon and she is finally offically outgrown her preemie sleepers (how they say they are for "up to five pounds" astounds me!  A four or five pounder would be swimming in them!)  :)

#99 of 104 Old 12-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Her latch is really comfortable, I haven't had any soreness, blisters, cracks, etc since week one, but I will have them look closer for this.  I do think that she might have gained a little this week, her little spine isn't as noticable.  I don't expect that she will ever be a chunky baby, but I really want her to get more on track. 

What were the differences in your experience with the medela vs lact-aid? 

I will say it is amazing how there is only a pound and some change difference in her size, but she looks so different!  Her awareness and alertness amaze me.  I can see her taking everything in, it is awesome to compare pictures.  I think she is going to be too tall for some of her newborn stuff soon and she is finally offically outgrown her preemie sleepers (how they say they are for "up to five pounds" astounds me!  A four or five pounder would be swimming in them!)  smile.gif

It is truly amazing how fast they change! I'm so glad things are going better.
The Medela is a hard plastic bottle that is impossible to hide under your clothes, feels uncomfortable and requires superhuman strength to clean. It's also gravity fed so getting the right flow rate requires getting the bottle at exactly the right height. The Lact-Aid is a soft bag that's easy to NIP with discreetly, each unit is cheaper (although still $$$ and the bags are disposable although many moms reuse them) so you can more easily buy a bunch and clean and fill once a day (great job for DH!) plus it's suction fed.
I always had to supplement DS1 with about eight ounces of formula a day to get him gaining well - although he was always (and still is at age 3) long and lean. I started using bottles but he got flow preference and starting refusing the breast at about 8 weeks. Luckily I discovered the LA.
I can't recommend them highly enough. I had them ready to go and did need to briefly supplement DS2 but luckily I was able to transition to EBF.
Good luck!

#100 of 104 Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I just wanted to check in and say that DD has finally hit 20 lbs again! She was about 22 lbs, but my ped thinks that was a bad weigh (the nurse weighed her, and she was moving a lot). I think she lost some weight in November because she was sick for a week and she has started climbing all over everything! She is still off the charts in the weight department, but she is at the 20th percentile for height. She is starting to look like a skinny baby, not just normal but way younger than she is. She is wearing 12-28 month clothes now, at 22 months, but I think she really needs 18 month pants and 12 month shirts. Anyway, she is healthy and happy, so Im not concerned, but Im wondering how big the one that's about to come out will be.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#101 of 104 Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 AM

My DD is 21 months and 20.5 lbs and full of energy. She can still wear 12 mo shirts and doesn't eat slot but still nurses a ton. I'm not concerned but wanted to share her weight. She's about 30.5"

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

DD: 8/10

#102 of 104 Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 AM

My girl is seven months now.  We started to supplement with formula because I couldn't pump more than a few ounces a day and I had to return to work full time.  Eventually, I stopped pumping and my supply dwindled completely and she's been on formula for about two months now.  She's still a little bit, in mostly 3-6 month stuff, but 0-3 still fits as long as it doesn't have feet.  She's was in the tenth percentile for height, fifth for weight, and twentith for head size at her six month appointment, which is right about on the curve she was at birth.  She's started solids and eats like a champ.  She seems so big, but when I compare her next to babies her age she looks like a peanut.  This week she started crawling and sitting up on her own, she's also pulling herself up to standing, so I imagine that her size has nothing to do with her prowess.  It seems like all the babies I know are in the 90% percentile or more for everything, I don't know any other little ones in real life. 

#103 of 104 Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM

Hi! I've been down this road before with my son and it looks like my daughter is following the same pattern. My son was 7lbs 6 ounces at birth and grew "normally" for the first 6 months. As soon as he became more mobile, he stopped gaining weight rapidly. At 1 year, he was about 14lbs. I had his pediatrician call CPS on me, despite the fact that he was nursing constantly, my supply was fine, he was eating solids and he was ahead on all milestones. She only looked at the numbers on her chart and deemed me neglectful. Bitch. He stayed a skinny little thing until about 18 to 24 months and then really started getting bigger. He is now 5 years old, 45 inches and 46 pounds, very muscular and quite smart.

My daughter is 9 months old and was 6lbs 8 ounces at birth. She never lost weight after birth and gained steadily for the first 5ish months. She has tapered off and is hovering around 14 lbs right now. She still fits into size 3 mos clothing such as certain brand onesies and shorts. She needs 6 or 9 months for pants. She wears 9 mos shirts and onesies depending on the brand. She is long, but not plump by any means. I anticipate that she will have a very similar growth pattern to her brother. She, too, is very active. She has been crawling since 5 months. She is moving around non-stop all day. She stands and sometimes cruises. She talks a mile a minute and says quite a few words. She is ahead on some milestones. She's very happy and very alert. She nurses a lot during the day. My supply is fine and she pees and poops plenty. She eats plenty of solids. I don't see her gaining any significant weight since she is so dang mobile. Her ped isn't concerned and doesn't even worry about percentiles. Health is so much more than weight and height ratios. I was a skinny minny baby, too, as were my brothers. We come from a long line of tall (except me), skinny Irish folk. lol.gif

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#104 of 104 Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Sign us up. DD is 15 months and just 16lbs. She was 6, 6oz at birth. She went from 75th percentile in height & 25 percentile in weight to now being 10% in height and 2% weight. She is breastfed and has a dairy allergy. She eats pretty well, but we started solids late (closer to 10 mo) because we were trying to figure out the allergy. She has met all her miles stones: sitting at 4 months, crawling at 8.5 months, walking at 12 months. She is quite the chatter box now, but very hard to understand. I can make out a couple words.

I switched peds recently to get a second opinion because the first ped sent us to a dietitian - not much help for a 12 month old - and then wanted her to be seen by a GE. I didn't want to put my dd through a bunch of crazy tests because I felt like she was fine. My DH and I are both thin and I am petite. Also, I was diagnosed at 12 mo as failure to thrive but they never determined a cause. I am now 5'3 and 105lbs.

Anyway, the new ped ran a bunch of blood work and her alkaline phosphatase (sp?) came back really high like 1500 when it is supposed to be 300. So he is worried about her having rickets (vit D deficiency) so he is sending us to a pediatric kidney specialist at the local children's hospital. Our apt is tomorrow. so wish us luck. I guess the Vit D deficiency can either be because she isn't getting it in her diet or because she has a genetic disease that makes her resistant to any vit d. We are hoping its just diet. But also hoping she doesn't have rickets. Hopefully she is just a tiny baby like her mama. But i must say it is a bit disheartening when I put her shorts or dresses on and they are size 3 months. Makes me a little worried. And like other moms here have said the looks she gets when people see her walking around are amazing. I think its because she is so cute, but deep down, I know part of it is because they think a 6 month old is miraculously walking. sigh!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page