EBF baby, teething & lactose in homeopathic tablets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My EBF 5.5 month old is teething horribly! He wears an amber necklace 24/7 and has since he was small. I have also been using Boiron's Camilia but am all out and it is expensive. I am thinking of just using Chamomilla pellets, but am concerned about the lactose in them since he is so young. Anyone have any thoughts?

heather - pro-breastfeeding. anti-circumcision. home birthing. tandem nursing. bed sharing. babywearing. cloth diapering. mama to ella (9.07) + jack (7.10)  fly-by-nursing2.gifh20homebirth.gif  fambedsingle2.gif
#2 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM

I have no experience with teething tablets, but I do know that your baby is already consuming large amounts of lactose in your breastmilk. ;)

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#3 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM

I agree-- lactose is specifically NOT a problem for babies. Breastmilk is loaded with it. Even babies who become lactose-intolerant later in life generally digest lactose just fine in infancy. Lactose intolerance in a baby is very rare.

I have no experience with teething tablets, and am deeply skeptical about homeopathy. But I can say the lactose wouldn't worry me at all.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Where does this lactose come from? - Cows I would assume.  So no, I am not comfortable for my EBF baby to consume these prodcuts (and will be avoiding stolen milk from cows when he starts solids too).  You can buy other homeopathic remedies that contain no lactose - you can also buy them in different sizes.  That is what I do.  You may need to crush these pellets - though my 8 month old takes them just fine as they come. 

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#5 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
tzs

i think the lactose in those tablets is somehow pretty far removed from cow's milk. it might originate originally from cow's milk but i think there's some chemistry involved after that. we wouldn't use regular cow's milk products for kosher reasons and i know we figured out that somehow the lactose in hylands is so far removed that it was ok for our purposes (although i can;t remember how or why)

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page