Anyone using an amber teathing necklace? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you leave it on all the time or just put it on when babe is fussy?

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cecilia wore hers all the time, night and day, with me only taking it off for baths. Now she's not wearing it though, because she learned how to fish it out from the top of her shirt and yank on it! I will put it back on her when she's a bit older and can understand to leave it alone.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[Uq[/U]

DS has one, but I take it off at night, even though it has a magnet closure and would rip off if tugged at hard enough.

Honestly, I haven't noticed that it makes any difference, but it sure looks cute!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Danny (20 months) wears his all the time. I only take it off for bathtime, and he asks me to put it back on right away. It really seems to have eliminated the low-level constant teething pain, although we still need medication for acute teething.

Jenn, breastfeeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing Mummy to Danny (5/2009)
#5 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 AM

I leave it on all the time.  I have never put it on as a necklace though - I know they are perfectly baby safe...but that means that they are design to break easily and as it was a gifted item, I really don't want it to break! hehe  ...  So he has always worn it on his wrist.  It wraps around three times perfectly.  It is loose enough that it does't bother him but it fits him well enough that it does't just slip off.  And he has never taken any notice of it.  If I put it on like a necklace - he would take notice of it and play with it/yank on it and it would just end up broken. 

You are supposed to leave it on all the time for full effectivness. 

Here are a few photos of it around his wrist so you get an idea of what it looks like. 

It is a hypoalergenic screw clasp.

Hamishandmummysmiles.jpgTiedye.jpg

I never take it off - not even for baths or the pool.  It dries in that area pretty quickly so hes never had a rash or anything there.  It has been on him continuously from about 8 weeks I think - that is when he started teething.  He got his first two teeth at 14 weeks and at 8 months has 8 teeth and has so far really had no problem with them!  So we are hooked on the amber teething necklace!  And if it really does't 'work' - well...it just looks nice too! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenb View Post

Danny (20 months) wears his all the time. I only take it off for bathtime, and he asks me to put it back on right away. It really seems to have eliminated the low-level constant teething pain, although we still need medication for acute teething.

Ditto, except DD is 11 months.  We've also found a noticeable decrease in her drooling when she has it on.

#7 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks mama's, ds has been wearing his almost constantly for months now, and I just wanted to make sure other babies were doing this also.

I couldn't find much on the use of amber necklaces for teething, but it seems to me that they would need to be worn allot for anything to be absorbed through the skin. We call it his gris-gris and keep it on all the time sort of for spiritual/cultural reasons as well, plus we think he looks so sweet in it. I was born in the Caribbean and my niece in West Africa, and we both wore gris-gris as babies, but not amber, or for any "medicinal" purpose, just general protection from bad spirits wink1.gif

Thanks for the tips and the pics are so cute!

I wish the necklace decreased drool for our lo, but he is a powerful drooler! So far though he is rarely fussy as long as he has something to bite and rub his gums on.

#8 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 AM

My 2 1/2 yo has worn his non stop since he was 6 months old. When i take it off him he gets very fussy, I truely feel it helps ground him. I tried to take it off him today and he asked to have it back on.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#9 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM

How cute!  We never see baby pics on here!  Thanks for sharing your DS is adorable!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post

I leave it on all the time.  I have never put it on as a necklace though - I know they are perfectly baby safe...but that means that they are design to break easily and as it was a gifted item, I really don't want it to break! hehe  ...  So he has always worn it on his wrist.  It wraps around three times perfectly.  It is loose enough that it does't bother him but it fits him well enough that it does't just slip off.  And he has never taken any notice of it.  If I put it on like a necklace - he would take notice of it and play with it/yank on it and it would just end up broken. 

You are supposed to leave it on all the time for full effectivness. 

Here are a few photos of it around his wrist so you get an idea of what it looks like. 

It is a hypoalergenic screw clasp.

Hamishandmummysmiles.jpgTiedye.jpg

I never take it off - not even for baths or the pool.  It dries in that area pretty quickly so hes never had a rash or anything there.  It has been on him continuously from about 8 weeks I think - that is when he started teething.  He got his first two teeth at 14 weeks and at 8 months has 8 teeth and has so far really had no problem with them!  So we are hooked on the amber teething necklace!  And if it really does't 'work' - well...it just looks nice too! hehe

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page