introducing solids - carrots - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if this is normal... 

My baby is just shy of 6 months old (considering his due date, he is). He sits up unassisted, picks things up, sometimes passes from hand to hand, turns the pages in his board book (inexpertly).

I started introducing solids - mostly so he can get the flavor of things, not as a real substitute for food. I made steamed carrots two nights ago - steamed til they were very soft, then mushed through a tight wire strainer to make very small pieces. He ate it well (leaning forward, grabbing the spoon, eagerly)... I'd say he had about... less than a teaspoon of the carrot mixed with gerber rice and breast milk. All in all about one table spoon.

But the carrots came out in his poop the same way they went in. It looked like they hadn't been digested at all. Is that usual with carrots? 

Also the second night after I feeding him, he threw up (I'd say about 1/2 of what he'd eaten).

Is this normal when you're introducing solids?

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Yup. Totally normal. Their diapers are pretty funny when they are starting out on solids.

I think it's a pretty good indicator of how they really can only digest breastmilk properly.

Right now it is not at all about the nutrition of the foods (just about tasting, playing, trying). So, dont worry that it isnt being absorbed.

You don't have to give give rice cereal though.

Not meaning to be nosey.

A lot of new moms think that they have to start out with cereals/ grains.

#3 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

NP :) I've heard before that I don't need to give cereal... but I live in Korea, and rice is a food staple. I think my inlaws would go catatonic if he weren't given rice first :) Also I want it for the iron additives.

But it's good to know it's no biggie that he's not absorbing it.

I tried broccoli tonight, and that was a huge fail :) He enjoyed mouthing it, then spitting it out.

#4 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM

FYI- the iron in fortified cereal is not really absorbed well by the body. You're much better off going with iron-rich whole foods if you're worried about iron.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

FYI- the iron in fortified cereal is not really absorbed well by the body. You're much better off going with iron-rich whole foods if you're worried about iron.

IMO,  I really wouldnt worry about iron  at only 6 months.

Also, I cant think of any foods with serious amounts of iron that a tiny 6 month old belly could handle.

Possible ground and boiled buckwheat or quinoa? I dont even know if I would give that so young.

My DD was ebf and didnt want to eat solids till she was one. The ped recommended checking her iron levels and they were PERFECT. I was worried then, (by well intentioned advisors), but by the time I had my second I didnt even pay attention.

It sounds like OP is giving the rice for taste and lifestyle reasons anyway, but on this board I like to hear and give advice, so I just wanted to put my two cents in about it.

#6 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM

i heard that in order to properly digest food, babies need certain enzymes in their saliva.  they only get these enzymes once they get a tooth.  so some doctors recommend waiting until they get their first tooth.

#7 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alevagon View Post

i heard that in order to properly digest food, babies need certain enzymes in their saliva.  they only get these enzymes once they get a tooth.  so some doctors recommend waiting until they get their first tooth.

That is pretty interesting. Ive never heard that, but it makes sense.

All three of mine are very late teethers and very late eaters.

#8 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post

Quote:

Also, I cant think of any foods with serious amounts of iron that a tiny 6 month old belly could handle.

Possible ground and boiled buckwheat or quinoa? I dont even know if I would give that so young.

My DD was ebf and didnt want to eat solids till she was one. The ped recommended checking her iron levels and they were PERFECT. I was worried then, (by well intentioned advisors), but by the time I had my second I didnt even pay attention.

It sounds like OP is giving the rice for taste and lifestyle reasons anyway, but on this board I like to hear and give advice, so I just wanted to put my two cents in about it.

I wouldn't worry about iron at 6 months either, but she specifically mentioned that, so I wanted to call attention to it. smile.gif Plus, there are plenty of veggies high in iron that a 6 month old who is otherwise ready for solids-- no tongue thrust, sitting independently, etc-- could handle.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#9 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about iron at 6 months either, but she specifically mentioned that, so I wanted to call attention to it. smile.gif Plus, there are plenty of veggies high in iron that a 6 month old who is otherwise ready for solids-- no tongue thrust, sitting independently, etc-- could handle.

Wow really? The baby info I read said their natural stores start to deplete around 6mo, so iron rich cereal is important. But I kinda feel like the rice makes the other flavors less intense, so I'm doing it more as choice than a need (Korean inlaws). My pediatrician wanted me to start feeding him meat already (korean babies eat meat as one of their first meals).

Good to know, thanks... I won't worry about it then. 

#10 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alevagon View Post

Do you remember where you heard/read this? 

And about the iron concern, when I did aid work in Nicaragua we followed Where There Is No Doctor's advice to toss an iron nail in the pot with rice, etc. for malnourished kids.  Apparently it boosts the iron content of the food.  I've heard the same about cooking in iron pots.  Whether or not this iron is readily absorbed by the body...I haven't a clue, but, in theory, it's an easy way to boost iron.

#11 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Pretty normal. And no need to mix it with cereal. Rice cereal has no nutrtition.

Yes, rice cereal has a LOT of  iron which is why many babies start to have problems with constitpation when they start solids. But you can get iron from a lot of sources. You really don't need to be worried about iron yet. At your 9 m appointment ask them to run an iron test, if it is a little low you will know that you need to make more of an effort.

Iron is available in lots of forms including heme iron in meat, which is where are kids usually get it after 9 m.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page